BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 54

2014-09-28 4:46 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED

Nancy, congratulations on a race well done. You've been through a lot this summer. Rest, recover, eat and have a few drinks and you'll feel better. My worst race IMTX11 is the one that I'm the most proud of. Most people would have thrown in the towel months ago with what you've been through. I for one would be very proud of your accomplishment today.

Edited by Catwoman 2014-09-28 4:47 PM

2014-09-28 5:02 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by glfprncs

I don't recommend being sick the month before a 70.3.

I finished, but man was it rough. Just had zero energy.

Going home, taking a shower & going to bed. Will lick my wounds & do a race report later.

Congratulations on getting it done in spite of the crud.
2014-09-28 6:29 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Master
South Alabama

Nancy-I had a sinus infection the week before AG Nationals and cringed when you said you were sick. It took me almost a month to regain my fitness level. You do the best on the day you have before you. Get some rest and be proud of your effort!

Jamie should be in the last couple of miles. Excited for him to rebound strong from his tough race at IM Louisville last year. GO JAMIE!

2014-09-28 7:45 PM
in reply to: #4996375

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Bam! Jamie's in at 12:15. Well done!
2014-09-28 7:54 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Yep...that's how you do it!

Jamie

Swim:59:14
Bike6:01:50
Run5:00:59
Overall12:15:17

Super race!

2014-09-29 2:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Well, that was tough! I'm on my way home now, and I'll fill in details later, but it was challenging and fulfilling! I definitely learned some more Ironman lessons!

2014-09-29 2:32 PM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by WoodrowCall

Well, that was tough! I'm on my way home now, and I'll fill in details later, but it was challenging and fulfilling! I definitely learned some more Ironman lessons!

Can't wait to hear all about it.

I was having my issues with athlete tracker and found it hard to follow along.

By most accounts it was a great race.
2014-09-29 7:24 PM

User image

Just sat down and put my thoughts on 'paper.' Race report is up if you're interested: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-edit.asp?raceid=270...

Was up at 5:00 a.m. this morning to be at work by 6:40. On my feet all day teaching (even had to cover 40 minutes of PE in the afternoon which was fun) and then a 4:00 massage. I'm not nearly as sore as I expected. I'm sure that D.O.M.S. will truly set in by tomorrow.
2014-09-30 10:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Here's my Race Report for IM Chattanooga! http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-edit.asp?raceid=254...

Quick Summary:
Swim: Super-fast! If you want a swim PR, this is your race. Seriously, I went sub-1 hour in an IM swim. Crazy...
Bike: Challenging, but fast. I was really happy with my bike fitness; I blew my conservative 17-18 mph estimate out of the water. The tacks that someone threw out sucked, and really impacted a lot of people's races, but stuff happens. I am happy with the idea that I could've averaged 20 mph if I hadn't stopped!
Run: Again, I came in under my pace estimate, and finished strong, but I'd sure love to finish a race and not have an IV after! I've learned more lessons on nutrition, though, and I'm making progress.
Overall Thoughts: I wanted 13:30 or under, and got 12:15, which I'm thrilled about. It was great doing the race with my GF, and both of our parents. I'm pretty sore, but proud of how my race went.

Now, it's time for a break from training. I'll take this week and recover, and then get back to some unstructured training over the next couple weeks. Other than a HM in December, I don't have any races for the rest of this year. Good times!
2014-09-30 11:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Sorry guys for being MIA, I had to take a last minute trip. No workouts for all last week either. Not sure if that is bad or good.

Jamie awesome job. Crushed your expected time. Seems like a trend here.

Nancy likewise. Great work. With all the great performances I think I need to step up my game.

Is anyone else having issues viewing the race logs? When I click on either Jamie's or Nancy's link I have a new browser tab open up which asks me to log in again. When I do that it takes me to BTs homepage. Very odd.

So having not done anything for a week I rolled out on Sunday morning for a planned 30 mile ride. The temp was just under 60 so short sleeves & bike shorts figuring it is early and warming up. When I get to my first hill extension of my normal route I get a little mist. No problem. I go over the hill and back and continue heading away from home. When I get to my old turnaround it is sprinkling. Well I figure I missed a week and the extended route is just a few miles farther.

So I get half way up the hill and it is raining. So I am getting soaking wet, I'm cold, my sunglasses are all wet so I can't see real well so I decide to call it a day and turn around. As I head back for home the process repeats itself in reverse. Rain to sprinkles to mist and by the time I get home I am in bright sunshine. It never did rain in town but five miles south it was miserable.

Yesterday I decided to go on my original 16.35 miles route just to make up for the few miles I skipped on Sunday. 12 mph winds, tailwind out, headwind back. Spun it at 19 mph, my fastest ride since my accident.

What are your feelings about the impact of wind on your bike speed? In my case it is almost always a direct headwind/tailwind situation. Does the added speed of the tailwind provide more benefit than the slower speed of the headwind for a faster time, or vice versa, or is it a wash? Just curious.

2014-09-30 8:24 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Master
South Alabama

Stuart-I was having the same problem accessing the race reports. I was able to get to them through the main forum menu at the Race Reports heading. 

2014-09-30 9:16 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Thanks Randy, I should have thought of that. Read both race reports. Awesome jobs all the way around.
2014-10-01 7:34 AM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Jamie. Congratulations on smashing your time goal.

Stuart. I think of riding in to the wind as being similar to doing hill work. It can hugely affect your pace but pushing in to wind (or up hills) is great for training. Sometimes it takes a lot of mental toughness to overcome how slow it can be riding in to the wind. It just "feels" like you should be going faster....but you can't.

I did a long out and back run last year. The "out" was in to just a very light breeze and it didn't feel like it should be enough to affect my pace at all. However, I struggled mightily to goal maintain pace and couldn't figure out what was wrong. Then I turned around and did the "back" part of the run and suddenly I was running 20-30 seconds/mile faster than goal pace on low effort. It was then that I realized that the breeze was probably affecting me a lot more than I realized.
2014-10-01 7:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Originally posted by wannabefaster

Jamie. Congratulations on smashing your time goal.

Stuart. I think of riding in to the wind as being similar to doing hill work. It can hugely affect your pace but pushing in to wind (or up hills) is great for training. Sometimes it takes a lot of mental toughness to overcome how slow it can be riding in to the wind. It just "feels" like you should be going faster....but you can't.

I did a long out and back run last year. The "out" was in to just a very light breeze and it didn't feel like it should be enough to affect my pace at all. However, I struggled mightily to goal maintain pace and couldn't figure out what was wrong. Then I turned around and did the "back" part of the run and suddenly I was running 20-30 seconds/mile faster than goal pace on low effort. It was then that I realized that the breeze was probably affecting me a lot more than I realized.

I agree with the comparison to hill work: riding in the wind is mentally tough to me, like riding up a false flat. I just "feel" like I should be able to go faster, but I can't!
2014-10-01 7:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
2014-10-01 1:44 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

No doubt riding into the wind is tough both physically and mentally. I train with power so watts is watts. But, I swear 200 watts into the wind feels a heck of alot harder than 200 watts with a tailwind.

Had an interesting wind experience on a run a few weeks ago while running on a path out near Pensacola Beach. It was a hot and breezy day. Got off the bike for a 2-3 mile run. Decided I would run into the wind on the way out and enjoy a tailwind as I tired on the way back. When I turned to head back I only made it about half way before I slowed to a walk......couldn't even feel the wind behind me and it was SO hot not running into the wind. I always think about this on cool days but never really thought about it on a really hot day....that headwind might slow you a bit but can also help with cooling.

Jamie-did you sign up for Chattanooga again or perhaps looking at Louisville next year? Maybe an off year from IM? 

2014-10-01 7:49 PM

User image

Master

The wind is your training partner. It is your friend.

I love riding into the wind. Maybe because that is all we have down here on the coast. Instead of fighting the wind you need to embrace the wind and relax into it. I also ride by power so as long as I'm hitting or close to those watts everything is good. 

It always surprises me when I read race reports from races that I've been at. I always wonder where all of this horrible wind was that everyone is complaining about. 

If you relax into your bike and focus on a steady pace or watts the miles will fly by. 

2014-10-02 7:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Originally posted by slornow

No doubt riding into the wind is tough both physically and mentally. I train with power so watts is watts. But, I swear 200 watts into the wind feels a heck of alot harder than 200 watts with a tailwind.

Had an interesting wind experience on a run a few weeks ago while running on a path out near Pensacola Beach. It was a hot and breezy day. Got off the bike for a 2-3 mile run. Decided I would run into the wind on the way out and enjoy a tailwind as I tired on the way back. When I turned to head back I only made it about half way before I slowed to a walk......couldn't even feel the wind behind me and it was SO hot not running into the wind. I always think about this on cool days but never really thought about it on a really hot day....that headwind might slow you a bit but can also help with cooling.

Jamie-did you sign up for Chattanooga again or perhaps looking at Louisville next year? Maybe an off year from IM? 

Randy-I'm all signed up for Louisville. When registration opened for the race, I'll admit I wasn't 100% sure about it. However, I was in peak training mode, and not overly enthusiastic, but I didn't want to miss my shot at that race again. Now that IMCHOO is over with, I'm glad I'm signed up. It feels good to not be training now, but I feel like I made real progress in Chattanooga, and I would like to build on that with another year given over to the IM-distance. Now, I just have to remember this optimistic feeling next summer when training peaks again!
2014-10-02 6:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
I had the opportunity to use a pool today all by myself! It has been closed for a few weeks so the heaters have been off. It was COLD! It took me several hundred yards to reach the point that I didn't notice that it was cold but every time I stopped I felt it. It was still a good swim after four consecutive days riding. I just did a 10 x 200 and called it a day.

I will likely be off line after this evening for a few days. I have a busy day schedule tomorrow and the off for Yom Kippur. For any who may be Jewish let me wish you an easy fast and G'mar Chatimah Tovah - May You Be Sealed for a Good Year in the Book of Life.

2014-10-04 6:49 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Hey folks-last race of the season this morning on beatiful Pensacola Beach for the Santa Rosa Island Sprint Tri. Low 60s with a north wind steady at 21mph and gusting to 26. Gulf was super clear with a little wind chop. Bike was out and back along the beach so killer crosswind both ways. It was a struggle to keep a decent line with a disc on the back and definitely kept things interesting. Fortunately, the run was more protected so only a few short sections directly into the wind.

It was a good finish to the season. Decent swim, solid bike and first time I have broken 20 min on a 5k in a triathlon.....19:51....woo hoo! I felt good and easily the best I have felt in a race in months. I'm sure the cooler temps helped. More good news... I ended up 15/775 overall and won grandmaster as my super fast teammate who is 54 won masters. At this race they give handcarved two foot tall "Tikis" to the overall winner, as well as masters, grandmasters and senior grandmasters (60+). Now, the Tikis are pretty tacky and you wouldn't pay $10 for one at a roadside stand but man they are coveted at this race. I was fortunate to get one 2 years ago and again this year. My wife, not loving the Tiki, has suggested that the new Tiki live at my office with his brother.

Having a good race today makes me want to race again but it is probably better to finish the season on a high note......maybe a duathlon in late November.

Edited by slornow 2014-10-05 9:10 AM

(Tiki2014.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Tiki2014.jpg (30KB - 3 downloads)
2014-10-05 8:19 AM
in reply to: #4996375

User image

Randy, I love the Tiki! Congrats on earning a 2nd.

For me, break time is over. Going for a run today.

Learned a valuable reminder Friday about hydration. My husband is a tour caddie, but he's been off the road for 3 weeks waiting for his fall gig to start at the local club where he caddies. So, for 3 weks he's been lax about proper hydration, goes to work Tues & Wed. It's warm (mid 80s), but not hot. Friday morning, we rush him to the ER. 12 hours later, we learn his dehydrated state led to rhabdomyolysis. He's fine now, but lucky it was a mild case. His muscles were all in contraction & painful as they were experiencing breakdown. Not a electrolyte issue. Just prolonged mild dehydration followed by exertion.

2014-10-05 10:52 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Stuart. Hope your day of fast went well. Happy New Year.

Randy. As usual, you rock.

Nancy. Glad to see you are getting back at it. Hope your husband recovers quickly. I have been drinking an extra 5-10 glasses of water per day as of late and I still feel dry

Jamie. Jealous (kind of) about Louisville next year. I think that is going to be one of the premier US races now that they have changed the date. By report, it is one of the best finish line experiences and such a great course. Of course, you already know this.

I was tempted to sign up for Louisville but right now I am pretty burned out when it comes to training. I really, really, really plan on not doing a full next year. I am going to get through IMAZ in a little more than a month and then switch things up a little bit. I feel like I have been pushing so hard to get faster for the last three years and I need a break. Planning on taking a good chunk of time off after AZ. Going to the climbing gym. Running because I want to, not because it is on the training plan. Mountain biking. Who knows? Still planning on racing next year, just not as long or as focused. Of course, the break at the end of the season may be enough to recharge me and get me to change my mind. Time will tell.

Despite saying all of that, I am looking at racing (participating in?) the Galveston HIM in April with Rene. Not 100% sure yet but it looks like my wife and I could make the trip down there. Anyone else interested in going to Texas for a few days in April? We could do a group get together and have dinner down there. Might be fun......

Edited by wannabefaster 2014-10-05 10:55 AM
2014-10-05 12:25 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jason-I'm thinking about Galveston. Rene and I talked about it the other day. Fits better in my tentative early season schedule than New Orleans. Not a terrible drive from here. Did it 2 years ago and enjoyed it.

2014-10-06 2:49 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
I'm back! Tons to catch up on!

I know Nancy rocked Augusta, I see Jamie had a great time at IM CHOO, Randy finished the season on a high - what else?

FL was crazy hot and humid. Weird thing, humidity cleared and the race Saturday night was perfect weather! I ran with a friend so it was slow going on the Garmin but not heat related (thank goodness!)

RR up soon Gotta go unpack!
2014-10-07 11:58 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
A nutritional warning to all.

I have had my nutrition pretty dialed in for the last several years when it comes to long course racing. I was growing tired of the flavor of one of the components of my nutrition so I ordered a case of a different flavor. Everything is exactly the same on the ingredient list except for the flavor.

I have used it for all of my races this year but I have noticed a disturbing trend toward GI upset, gas, etc after consuming my nutrition that has never happened before with this product. It starts about three to four hours after consumption so it hasn't yet been an issue with HIM distance. Just afterwards......... Two weeks ago I tried it out with a longer ride, followed but a medium run. The run was "uncomfortable" to say the least. Several unplanned stops. I don't think this is going to work for IM distance. I had a few packets of my old flavor left so I trained with that for a day and no issue. It is something in the different flavor that is not agreeing with me.

Fortunately I have called the company and they are going to trade out all of the stuff I have left (a lot) for my original flavor. Of course they are as mystified as me because the ingredients appear to be exactly the same but kudos to them for standing behind their product and helping me out.

Just a warning about testing out anything new before the actual race. I assumed that it would be absolutely no different than my other stuff because the ingredients are the same but something is affecting me in a not so pleasant way. I'm a bit bummed because I liked the new flavor better but it just is not going to work.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 54

RELATED POSTS

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19321 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
comments : 0
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.

date : August 17, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
37-year-old Bill Fults is an age-group triathlete. But by day he's an Air Flight Paramedic. He also spent the better part of a decade as an Army Ranger.
date : November 10, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 1
Which component group is right for you? Here are some differences on weight, performance and price between the Dura-Ace, Ultegra and 105 component groups.

date : April 2, 2006
author : mikericci
This summer, I am planning on doing three triathlons. What should my strategy be for training, tapering and resting during, before and after each race?
date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.

date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
Individuals are just that, individuals and need individual programs. However, with a group the size of yours, it may be difficult for your coaches to do 25 individual workouts.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.