BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 54

2014-09-12 8:15 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED

Originally posted by glfprncs So...I'm installing my new Conti Grand Prix 4000SII tires on my bike tonight. Just finished the rear (the first one I've done) and realized that the arrow for tire rotation is going the wrong way. (Insert 4-letter expletive here). Does it really matter or do I really have to take it off and put it back on the other way?

Nancy-I don't think it really matters. If it did any difference would be so small we wouldn't notice. How you feeling?

2014-09-12 8:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by glfprncs

Well...had time so I took the tire back off & flipped it the right way. Fought the chain putting it back on, did the front & in looking at the directional arrow, realized I'd had the rear on correctly the first time. NOW it was backwards. 4 tire changes later, I'm ready to ride. I feel like an expert at tire changing.

Even with all your trials you are one step ahead of me. When I got my first set of replacement tires I didn't even know there was such a thing as directional tires.
2014-09-12 9:39 PM
in reply to: #5049638

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Randy, I'm much improved. Still have sinus drainage, tiny coughing spell from time to time. Going to head out on my bike & see how it goes. Alas, it's supposed to rain all weekend. ?
2014-09-13 11:18 AM

User image

Well...no rain so far! Actually just got in from my first 'real' training day in over 2 weeks. 2 1/2 hours on a hilly bike course and a 30 minute trail run after. The run was rough (it was 93 degrees), but I'm at least a little more confident about a half Ironman in 15 days than I was last week.

The new tires (which are the 4000S II) seem faster than my 4000S. Wonder if there's really an improvement (as my 4000S when I took them off last night really don't look very worn) or if it's the placebo effect?
2014-09-13 3:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Nancy when I put my Conti's on I was not happy with them. I am sure it was me and not the tires. I tweaked the bike a bit and was riding every bit as fast as my old tires but that nagging feeling that the tires were just not as fast stuck with me. I ended up switching to my TriComp tires before my event a few weeks ago because they were expecting rain and they handle wet roads better by all accounts. I love them. I am sure it is all placebo but I feel more confident on them. Whatever it is, I'll take it.

Jason how did the swim go?

Had my rematch with my doctor today. It looks like the old man still has a little fight in him. By the end of the ride I was beating him on most hills and he was cooked when we finished. I could have gone again. So Doc 1 - Me 1!

2014-09-13 9:10 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Didn't make it to the pool but I did spin very easily on the trainer for 35 minutes. I also walked three miles yesterday and today with my wife so I'm slowly getting moving again.

This morning was the first day that I woke up and wasn't 'very uncomfortable' so I feel like I have turned a corner and expect rapid improvement from here.

We went out tonight with family and friends to celebrate my son's 17th birthday. I don't feel old enough to have a 17 year old but the data would suggest that I am....

2014-09-13 9:21 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Nice work on the rematch. I trusted that you wouldn't let him school you twice.
2014-09-15 6:53 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
An hour easy on the elliptical machine yesterday. It was uncomfortable but not too bad. I would like to hit the pool for a short swim this afternoon but it all depends on how late the OR schedule goes. My daughter has swim practice tonight for two hours and I can walk (and maybe jog a little bit......) on the track while she swims. It is weird, but kind of nice too, to exercise at 'normal' levels instead of IM levels. It means I have a lot more time to hang around. I had better enjoy it while I can.

Rene raced yesterday. A HIM in Texas I believe. I think she placed second out of all 50-54 comers, male and female, and first female in her AG. It looked like a very solid performance. Maybe she will tell us all about it later. Speaking of which, I need to get to work on my 70.3 WC race report. Maybe that is how I can use all of this extra time.
2014-09-15 10:32 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jason-glad to hear you are continuing to improve.

Stuart-nice job on getting even with your doctor.

Rene-well done at the HIM.

Race reports......ugh, I have 2 that I still need to do. One from late July and one from 2 weeks ago. I like being able to refer back to race reports but seem to have a hard time getting them done.

Have a good week everyone. 

2014-09-15 1:18 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
I'm enjoying not training (seriously). My next event is the tower of terror 10 miler in Disney on Oct 5th (or 6th I forget). Not a real race for me so I'm enjoying my down time :D
2014-09-15 8:06 PM
in reply to: #5049659

User image

Dang, Rene! That's outstanding!

Jason...happy to hear you're recovering well & enjoying a bit of rest.

13 days until Augusta. River currently closed for swimming because of some mysterious oil slick that appeared yesterday. I'm still coughing up stuff, but the exercise seems to help loosen it up. Last year I thought I was underreported for the race, but wasn't sure since it was my first. This year I know I am. All I can do is be healthy on the 28th & keep moving forward.

2014-09-16 10:45 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Swam 2000 yards yesterday. Uncomfortable in the same way as the elliptical.....a little bit but not bad. Walked again last night with my wife as well.

I'm going to record the walking in my training log. If I don't there will be too many blank squares staring back at me. Can't have that.
2014-09-16 11:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Rene-you crushed it! Good job!
Jason-definitely count it, I say. Also, way to combine SO time with a "workout".

I'm doing pretty well this week; it's a weird feeling having my long stuff behind me. I usually bike with some other folks in my tri-group on Saturdays and a bunch of them are doing IMCHOO, as well, and it's really funny to see how burnt out everyone is. Everyone was just ready for the race to get here so they can be done with the long stuff; it was a funny contrast to everyone's enthusiasm before summer started. Crazy triathletes...
2014-09-17 6:10 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by wannabefaster

Swam 2000 yards yesterday. Uncomfortable in the same way as the elliptical.....a little bit but not bad. Walked again last night with my wife as well.

I'm going to record the walking in my training log. If I don't there will be too many blank squares staring back at me. Can't have that.

IT COUNTS!!

in related news, my mom wanted a fitbit. After a little research we went with the Garmin vivofit because it actually has a display on it and you can read it wherever you are (fitbit you need your phone or a computer). Anyway she LOVES it! I wouldn't have thought so but I'm psyched! She used the generic garmin setup to figure out her goals and it keeps adjusting them UP! It's making her actually get up and move too! I hope it lasts!!!

OH hey I just heard about an Earthquake in Guam - anyone hear from Blanda? The news said no injuries so I'm hopeful she's ok. I'm not sure what kind of damage they have though
2014-09-17 8:00 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Randee--great news about getting your mom motivated with a new toy. It is pretty amaziing what a difference it makes when people just get up and get moving. Walking is a great exercise. I often wonder how many people only walk from the bedroom to the kitchen and then from the front door to the car for their entire day's activity.

Speaking of activity....my wife told me last night that I am driving her crazy and that I need to start exercising again. I guess me having extra time to hang around with her isn't all it cracked up to be. Be careful what you wish for. Six more days until I can run again (I hope).
2014-09-18 9:32 PM

Soooooooo
Laaaaaazy!!

First week back after a long rest.
My next race is in Oct. (18mi trail run) and I may not be ready for it.

Work is killing me. 60 hours last week of super intense manual labor.

Swam yesterday at dusk in a pond I've swam in 100 times.
Tinted goggles + low light = freaked out.
My form was equivalent to that of a three legged giraffe trying to swim in a raging river.
But it felt good to get in the water again.

2014-09-19 5:40 AM
in reply to: skibummer

User image

Master
South Alabama

Good morning all!

Anyone have big plans for the weekend? We are finally getting a small break in the weather with temps being tolerable (85) as compared to sweltering (90+).. Interesting to see the difference in my HR when the temps drop a few degrees. Swim and run today. Long bike tomorrow and long run on Sunday.

Next weekend is a big weekend for folks down this way with Augusta 70.3 and IM Chattanooga. Lots of people racing. Looking forward to supportin Nancy and Jamie at their races.

2014-09-19 7:09 AM
in reply to: skibummer

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by skibummer

My form was equivalent to that of a three legged giraffe trying to swim in a raging river.

I am very familiar with that particular swimming style.
2014-09-19 7:25 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Obviously not racing this weekend, but....

I am "working" a 24 hour shift on Saturday at a hospital where it is likely that I will do no real work in the 24 hours (very slow). I plan to bring the bike and trainer and set it up in the call room and get several hours of easy/moderate spinning in while watching football. It should be a good trial to see how it will feel to get back to training next week.

I am mentally ready to attack the last block leading up to IMAZ. I realistically only have about six weeks of really vigorous work left and all of the training that has been put in over the last several years hopefully will serve me well. I would really like to race rather than just participate in it but I will have to wait and see how the next several weeks go......

On the home front, we are much further along in the college application process with my son. Who knew that it would be this much work to fill out college applications? (answer: everyone who has done this with their kid in the last 5 - 10 years). When I applied to college, I filled out one application, in blue ink, and mailed it in. Six weeks later I got accepted and that was it. I probably didn't spend 90 total minutes on the college selection and application process. College application is now like its own industry. I bet we have 60+ hours as a family put in to this with writing and reading essays, gathering information, interacting with the schools. That doesn't include the time for school visits. Crazy!

2014-09-19 7:57 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by wannabefaster
Originally posted by skibummer My form was equivalent to that of a three legged giraffe trying to swim in a raging river.
I am very familiar with that particular swimming style.

Yep, me too! Yesterday's swim was bad. Hoping that overnight something magical has happened to help me do better today.....very doubtful. While I would love to improve my swim, even just a little bit, right now I think I am mostly driven by the fear that I will get worse if I don't swim frequently. After yesterday I'm not sure what worse is but I know it scares me.  

2014-09-19 8:05 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jason-you have my sympathy with the college application process. I was fortunate in that both of my kids were able to do "most" of it themselves with the help of really great college admissions counselors at their schools. I was in charge of all the financial info.....completing the FAFSA forms and the much more detailed CSS Profile forms required by some schools....including most of the Ivies. I swear an IRS audit would have been less detailed.

We are going through this to some extent. My son is taking the LSAT next weekend and plans to go to law school next year. I have not encouraged this. As I began lookming at some of the schools he is interested in it looks like many want all the parent' s financial info to determine what sort of scholarships or aid may be available. Dreading the thought of going through all of that. Kind of like swimming....it just doesn't get any better.   

2014-09-19 2:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Haven’t been on for a few days so let me see if I can get caught up.

First Rene...WOW! Awesome job or as has been the custom with this group, just what we expected!

Randee great job getting your Mom moving. I wish I could do the same.

Is a “three legged giraffe trying to swim” anything like a duck on a bicycle? Just curious.

Randy there is something magical that happened overnight. You got up and hit the swim again. That’s all it will take. Work on your form, rhythm and balance. Once you get those the speed will come.

Jason, oh where to start. First very familiar with the wife having to put up with my cabin fever. I hope the saying ‘anything that doesn’t kill you makes you stronger’ because on many times over the past 18 months I was sleeping with one eye open. I am a terrible patient.

On the college application front, I do college planning as part of my I practice. If you have your arms around it, that’s great. If you would like a little free advice just let me know if I can help. BTW – applying early is great but DO NOT accept early acceptance unless the deal is too good to pass up.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.
2014-09-19 3:41 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Tomorrow is IM Maryland and my physical therapist is there doing his first full. I'm so excited for him I have goosebumps! EEK!

2014-09-20 7:22 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
South Alabama

Hey gang! Everyone having a good weekend?

Got in a nice 60 mile ride this morning. Temperature was 70 when I started a little before 7am and 85 when I finished. Not cool but sure felt better than it has for months. It has probably been over a year since I rode that far. All the short course training has been less time on the bike with more intensity. It was a fun ride today. Long run tomorrow with last 3 miles hard. Last race (probably) of the season in 2 weeks.

Enjoying some football on TV while my wife watches the last episode of the series on the Roosevelts.

2014-09-21 10:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Wow, IM Lake Tahoe was canceled because of air quality. I can't imagine...
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 54

RELATED POSTS

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19324 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
comments : 0
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.

date : August 17, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
37-year-old Bill Fults is an age-group triathlete. But by day he's an Air Flight Paramedic. He also spent the better part of a decade as an Army Ranger.
date : November 10, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 1
Which component group is right for you? Here are some differences on weight, performance and price between the Dura-Ace, Ultegra and 105 component groups.

date : April 2, 2006
author : mikericci
This summer, I am planning on doing three triathlons. What should my strategy be for training, tapering and resting during, before and after each race?
date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.

date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
Individuals are just that, individuals and need individual programs. However, with a group the size of yours, it may be difficult for your coaches to do 25 individual workouts.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.