BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 54

2014-07-25 6:14 PM
in reply to: slornow

Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED
So I got a confirmation email from a tri this weekend I didn't sign up for.
I really wanted to do it, started to fill out the reg form, but deleted it.

I can't do it, it's my Dad's B'day.

Turns out my buddy is on the RD's payroll. I hope he didn't reg me and pay for a spot.
I hope that they just got my email from my non completed reg form and not because he put up money.
The worst part is my phone is busted and I can't call him, he is a technophobe and doesn't have email.

OTHERWISE...going to the Jersey Shore this weekend. Hope to get some flat running/riding in.

-Gary

2014-07-25 6:45 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Jason - congrats on the new pup! My house is small and we're busting with 2 adults, 2 cats and 1 greyhound. Ok not busting but I'm fighting very hard to not get another greyhound. (They are just so easy!! LOL)

Nancy - so psyched you are getting comfort! I've got a whole spreadsheet going on saddles with sizes so hopefully I'll find one soon - but I think if I Mr Cobb wants me to have a Randee he's going to have to give it to me for free :D
2014-07-26 11:02 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
South Alabama
One down. AG win. 27/900 overall. HOT! Can't believe I'm going to race again tonight! UGH!
2014-07-26 11:47 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by slornow

One down. AG win. 27/900 overall. HOT! Can't believe I'm going to race again tonight! UGH!

You can do it.

I bet you will be amazed at how fast you can race your next one.
2014-07-26 12:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

AWESOME job. Tonight will be a walk in the park. Just have fun.
2014-07-26 12:15 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Tire woes. So I followed up the 59:45 on Thursday with a 59:09 yesterday. Feeling great. So today is a recovery ride. I am about a mile from home and hit a little pot hole, maybe 2" wide. The old front tire with 3000 miles does fine. The new back tire with a new tube with less than 80 miles on it, admittedly carry more weight, runs flat!

So now what? Do I keep that tire on or try out the new Fortezza Tricomp tires? I am leaning towards the latter just to see if I like them any better.

2014-07-26 3:00 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Joined a LBS "Ladies Ride" this morning and followed it up with 2000 yards at the pool.

A group of friends did an OWS at 5:45 A.M....why, I have no clue. Not my thing, I guess. When they finished, though, someone saw a dog in the river, fighting the current. He was unable to get back towards shore, so off they all went to rescue the pup. Poor guy was exhausted...who knows how long he'd been in there or how he got in there.

He's staying the night with one of the swimmers, who is also a veterinarian. She says he likes saltines (she had them in her car) and scratches behind the ears. Here's hoping she can find him a home. The shelters in the Augusta, GA area are pretty dismal with a 90% euthanasia rate...he deserves a chance. Here's a couple photos of his rescue:

(Dog rescue water.jpg)

(Dog rescue water in car.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Dog rescue water.jpg (64KB - 3 downloads)
Dog rescue water in car.jpg (92KB - 3 downloads)
2014-07-26 3:29 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Hope the pup finds a forever family
2014-07-26 8:06 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Good looking dog.

I just can't take another dog right now
2014-07-27 6:40 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Master
South Alabama
Good morning all. Survived the second race and actually felt surprisingly good on the bike and run. 3rd in AG and 11th overall. Pretty good to get 3 old guys that far up. Long day followed by a good bit of celebrating back at the hotel. It's been a blast traveling with the team. Looking forward to getting some sleep tonight.
2014-07-27 1:43 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan

Good morning all. Survived the second race and actually felt surprisingly good on the bike and run. 3rd in AG and 11th overall. Pretty good to get 3 old guys that far up. Long day followed by a good bit of celebrating back at the hotel. It's been a blast traveling with the team. Looking forward to getting some sleep tonight.

Really strong work. Of course, I have come to expect nothing less.

I had planned on getting up at 5 AM and knocking out my run for the day but ended up working some in the middle of the night so 5 just didn't happen. Add to that one of our old dogs tweaked her back and ended up in the emergency vet clinic early this morning. Now it is 85 degrees, sunny and probably 85% humidity (so Randy and Rene's standard training weather) and I am going to wait until much later to try to salvage the daily run.

It would probably be good IM practice to run in the middle of the day heat but I'm just not feeling it right now.

I think that the couch may be calling my name.....

2014-07-27 2:07 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
WAY TO GO CAP-I-TAN!!! Nice racin Randy

Stuart did you take the tube out and inflate it and look at the hole? It was likely a pinch flat which means it was either stuck between the rim and the tire and/or the pressure was too low.

What pressure are you running again?

(and I think you're over thinking this whole tire thing )
2014-07-27 2:21 PM

User image

Master

Jason-

85 degrees with 85% humidity is cool compared to what we normally run in.

This morning I ran 8 miles and drank 28 oz of water during the workout. Still lost 4 lbs and that was starting the wkt at 6 am. Welcome to Texas.

2014-07-27 2:56 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

I ran 5 miles at high noon. Was 96 degrees and high humidity. I was just too lazy to get out of bed early

The pupster (picture above) landed fairly softly in the only truly no-kill shelter in the area (I used to volunteer there as an adoption counselor, so he's in VERY good hands). They've named him "Rock" because the swimmers at the river said that's what he resembled while trying to swim in the current. Kept sinking like a rock.

My husband has to travel to Atlanta's east side tomorrow to meet his new boss's manager, and I've decided to go along BECAUSE....

we're meeting a mere 10 miles away from All3Sports!!!!! I'm sure he'll limit my time inside, but I've never been and I feel like a kid going to Disney for the first time.

Edited by glfprncs 2014-07-27 3:36 PM
2014-07-27 7:23 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Finally made it home. I think I am more tired from the travel than the racing. A late night of revelry with the team at the hotel didn't help. The race last night was a Twilight Race in a park that goes through wetlands in Crystal River, Florida. Always makes for cool pictures. Below is a picture posted on the photographer's website. That's me on the right running with a team mate about 1/2 mile from the finish.  

(lead.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
lead.jpg (92KB - 3 downloads)
2014-07-27 10:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Randee you are right that I am overthinking the tire thing. Stuff happens. The tech at my LBS said much the same thing. Just keep the Contis on the bike to train in. However he did say since I already owned them, I should mount the TriComps a week before the race to get a feel for them and race on them. He thinks they are a much faster tire. Seem like a workable idea.

2014-07-28 8:59 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan

Finally made it home. I think I am more tired from the travel than the racing. A late night of revelry with the team at the hotel didn't help. The race last night was a Twilight Race in a park that goes through wetlands in Crystal River, Florida. Always makes for cool pictures. Below is a picture posted on the photographer's website. That's me on the right running with a team mate about 1/2 mile from the finish.  

Did you outkick him?
2014-07-28 9:49 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by wannabefaster

Did you outkick him?

I started out about 300-400 yards behind him and eventually caught up with him with about one mile left. We ran together for awhile and planned to just run it to the finish with him. Then I saw another guy 100-200 yards ahead so I picked it up and pushed hard to the finish passing the other guy without about 75 yards to go.  I really didn't plan to push this run but actually didn't feel too bad. Splits were 6:53/6:53/6:23. Happy that I was able to pick it up to that pace for the last mile of the second race.

It has been so much fun to be a part of this team. A really strong group of racers but even more importantly a great group of guys. Lots of stories from the weekend as you would expect from 1000+ miles of travel over 2-3 days and 2 races.

2014-07-28 3:13 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
What a weekend - glued to IMLP coverage since there were several people from my tri club in it! Catch the swim drama? Man that weather SUCKED!

Ok so here's an interesting question......the "newbies" from my tri club (I call us sophomores) are all excited about IM now and are talking about registering for one for 2015 and right now I think the front runner is Mont-Tremblant.

So it's over a year away, and my first HALF is this September. I'll admit the thought of doing this event with 10 of my friends sounds like a ton of fun.......how do I know if I'm biting off more than I can chew?
2014-07-28 4:12 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Anybody see that IM Louisville has been moved to October for 2015? Hmmmmmmmmm.......

Randee...if you sign up for it, you'll train for it. Plus, you have a coach, right? The schedule is done for you!

Edited by glfprncs 2014-07-28 4:13 PM
2014-07-28 4:49 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by glfprncs

Anybody see that IM Louisville has been moved to October for 2015? Hmmmmmmmmm.......

I did see that - in it together? LOL

how was your shopping trip?!

2014-07-28 5:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Randy, great job on the race(s)! You never fail to impress me; I can't imagine efforts like that so close to one another. You've got my respect!

I spent the weekend with the GF and some others in our tri group checking out the IM CHOO course. We did 115 on the bike on Saturday, then 14m run on Sunday; it's a two-loop run course. In short, it's beautiful, but tough. Lots of rollers on the ride, but the real hills are going to be on the run. There are a couple that can only be walked by most, in my opinion. I ran them Sunday, but I was only doing the run, and didn't have 13 miles more to go! It's exactly two months away now!

Also, just got back from my first bike commute to and from school; I'm really going to love that. It's also very refreshing to ride for run; I can't tell you the last time I went out and rode for something other than "training" miles.
2014-07-28 7:01 PM
in reply to: #4996375

User image

Randee...I came away with a new tri kit. I think I tried on every pair of shorts in the store.
2014-07-28 7:47 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Saw the info on the change to October for IM Louisville. I think its a great idea. A good alternative to Chattanooga in September and IM Florida in November. Cooler temps and wetsuit legal should make it a popular late season race.

Randee-wish I could help on the IM decision but I've never done one. I would email your coach and get his thoughts. Also get an idea of what training would look like for the 3-4 months leading up to it to see if it fits within your other commitments. Hard to beat training and racing with friends. 

2014-07-28 7:57 PM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jamie-where did you eat in Chattanooga? Tony's Pasta in the Bluff View Arts District is one of my favorites. Rembrandt's Coffe House in the same area has great coffee, breakfast and chocolates. Other good places from when we were spending alot of time there included Urban Stack and The Terminal Brewhouse. We had a condo on the North Shore across the bridge from downtown. There is a Whole Foods over there as well as lots of shops and other restaurants....family always liked Taco Mammasita, River Street Deli and Jane Darling donuts on that side of the river.

I suspect the portion of the run course on the North Shore near the country club will be tough.....some hilly areas there. Can't wait to hear how it goes. Lots of people from down here are doing it.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 54

RELATED POSTS

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19338 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
comments : 0
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.

date : August 17, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
37-year-old Bill Fults is an age-group triathlete. But by day he's an Air Flight Paramedic. He also spent the better part of a decade as an Army Ranger.
date : November 10, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 1
Which component group is right for you? Here are some differences on weight, performance and price between the Dura-Ace, Ultegra and 105 component groups.

date : April 2, 2006
author : mikericci
This summer, I am planning on doing three triathlons. What should my strategy be for training, tapering and resting during, before and after each race?
date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.

date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
Individuals are just that, individuals and need individual programs. However, with a group the size of yours, it may be difficult for your coaches to do 25 individual workouts.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.