General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Don't forget to change your cassettes! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-05-14 9:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Subject: Don't forget to change your cassettes!
lest you wind up like me!

http://i62.tinypic.com/j8fio4.jpg

they wear out also.... and when a new chain skips because of it during a sprint.......

2014-05-14 9:44 PM
in reply to: pburnett

Subject: RE: Don't forget to change your cassettes!
Ouch, the next week of training is going to really suck.
2014-05-15 8:02 AM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
I agree OUCH that's going to smart for a bit.

Tough Lesson.
2014-05-15 8:06 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Just out of curiosity, how many miles did you have on the cassette? 

Mark

2014-05-15 8:49 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Ouchie, ouchie, ouchie...bet the shower later felt great.  Heal quickly!

2014-05-15 10:10 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Extreme Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Quick back of napkin was about 4-5k miles on that cassette..... However, looking back a little more, the wheelset that it is typically used on has the "sharkbites" on the freehub portion, so I imagine it was slightly misaligned as it got used more and more, causing even more wear.

Tagaderm is the best And yes, I believe I woke up my neighborhood with that shower.

2014-05-15 10:50 AM

User image

Exton, PA
If you replace your chain on a regular basis you will get a lot more mileage out of your cassette. Replacing the chain is probably one of the most neglected maintenance items.
2014-05-15 11:20 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Veteran
Springfield/Branson
^^^This.
2014-05-15 12:16 PM
in reply to: mroger82

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
2014-05-15 12:55 PM

Originally posted by mike761

If you replace your chain on a regular basis you will get a lot more mileage out of your cassette. Replacing the chain is probably one of the most neglected maintenance items.

X2

Get a chain measurer or a just use a good ruler (Sheldon Brown's website is where I learned how). Takes seconds to do, and cassettes will last a loooooooonng time if you change your chain before it gets out of whack.
2014-05-15 1:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Ow, that will sting for a while!

Ditto on changing the chain. I just changed mine last week and the bike shifts like it is brand new. I had about 4,000 miles on the chain.

2014-05-15 1:37 PM

User image

Originally posted by mike761 If you replace your chain on a regular basis you will get a lot more mileage out of your cassette. Replacing the chain is probably one of the most neglected maintenance items.

x3 or 4...

I went down a few weeks ago because my chain skipped off the smallest cog during an out of the saddle effort.  It wasn't because my cassette was worn, it was because my chain was extremely worn.  Replace your chain every 2-3k miles.  For most of us, that means 2x a year.  Some 3-4x.

2014-05-15 2:31 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by mike761 If you replace your chain on a regular basis you will get a lot more mileage out of your cassette. Replacing the chain is probably one of the most neglected maintenance items.

x3 or 4...

I went down a few weeks ago because my chain skipped off the smallest cog during an out of the saddle effort.  It wasn't because my cassette was worn, it was because my chain was extremely worn.  Replace your chain every 2-3k miles.  For most of us, that means 2x a year.  Some 3-4x.

x whatever.

I've found that most shifting problems are chain-related.  I've seen guys spend hours trying to adjust their rear derailleur, only to discover that it was skipping because the chain was worn or had a stiff link.  I've got a wear gauge and check mine on a regular basis, but I'll usually just go ahead an replace it at 2K miles, regardless. 

Mark

2014-05-15 3:32 PM

User image

Atlanta, Georgia
Originally posted by pburnett
lest you wind up like me!

http://i62.tinypic.com/j8fio4.jpg

they wear out also.... and when a new chain skips because of it during a sprint.......

My work blocks tinypic so I had to forward to my phone to view.

It did not disappoint!
2014-05-15 4:36 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Get a chain checker, and check it regularly...chains elongate a lot more than you think !

Park Tool Chain Checker - CC-2 is awesome btw.
2014-05-15 7:12 PM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Extreme Veteran
Severna Park, MD
thanks guys, have a chain checker and use it

(hence the new chain!)

Looked at the cassette after work today, and it looks fine, no sharkbite teeth, teeth look aligned, etc. New theory after discussing with everyone is chain rode off the top of the chainrings? basically what happened was stood up to sprint with no shifting and went from lots of resistance at 31 mph to absolutely nothing on the right pedal. Honestly I thought I broke the chain as soon as it happened. Regardless, doesn't matter, bike is ruined (but homeowners insurance is covering it!)

Just somewhat disappointing, that was the first bike I built up, so it is sad to see it go.

2014-05-15 7:24 PM

User image

Wow...sounds exactly like what happened to me except my chain jammed in the rear and yours came off the front.  Both at 31 mph...or so Garmin says before it sharply went down to 0 mph.  Luckily for me my bike was okay other than the front wheel, bar tape, and the saddle.  My road rash was also not as bad as yours.  Agree though that tegaderm is a savior.  After 8 days no longer need any bandages.

2014-05-15 10:18 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
All I can say is ouch!
2014-05-16 6:41 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Originally posted by pburnett

thanks guys, have a chain checker and use it

(hence the new chain!)

Looked at the cassette after work today, and it looks fine, no sharkbite teeth, teeth look aligned, etc. New theory after discussing with everyone is chain rode off the top of the chainrings? basically what happened was stood up to sprint with no shifting and went from lots of resistance at 31 mph to absolutely nothing on the right pedal. Honestly I thought I broke the chain as soon as it happened. Regardless, doesn't matter, bike is ruined (but homeowners insurance is covering it!)

Just somewhat disappointing, that was the first bike I built up, so it is sad to see it go.

Ouch… pains me just to read the recap. Heal well and fast!

I bet it wasn't the cassette… it really sounds like it was the chain jamming (I would suspect one of the links didn't move freely). Did you hear any type of clicking noise as you were riding before the crash?

Another thing that will really extend the life of the cassette (and the chain!) is to remove the cassette and clean it frequently. I soak it in Simple Green/Water (50/50) for a few minutes then use an old tooth brush to scrub it clean, give it a good rinse with clean water and pat it dry. It'll make it look and function like new.
2014-05-16 9:55 AM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

Originally posted by pburnett thanks guys, have a chain checker and use it (hence the new chain!) Looked at the cassette after work today, and it looks fine, no sharkbite teeth, teeth look aligned, etc. New theory after discussing with everyone is chain rode off the top of the chainrings? basically what happened was stood up to sprint with no shifting and went from lots of resistance at 31 mph to absolutely nothing on the right pedal. Honestly I thought I broke the chain as soon as it happened. Regardless, doesn't matter, bike is ruined (but homeowners insurance is covering it!) Just somewhat disappointing, that was the first bike I built up, so it is sad to see it go.

Do you know if the chain fell to outside or inside?  I had an issue with chain drops a while back and it turned out my chain rings needed to be replaced as well as my chain.  the combination of the two being worn would cause my chain to skip off the big ring under heavy load. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Don't forget to change your cassettes! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Don't forget fresh legs.

Started by Danno77
Views: 952 Posts: 5

2012-05-25 8:41 PM robbmt

Help on changing cassettes please

Started by billypb
Views: 957 Posts: 7

2007-04-11 11:25 AM pescalita

Don't forget your sunscreen

Started by pfusc
Views: 638 Posts: 5

2006-06-05 10:27 AM c_cic

Don't forget to enjoy it!

Started by TH3_FRB
Views: 628 Posts: 3

2005-09-05 8:45 PM lynda

Don't forget to put bodyglide on your neck :(

Started by ODogg
Views: 700 Posts: 12

2004-10-13 9:28 AM kelpeng
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 22, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Find out which sports nutrition practices effectively enhance performance. What and when you eat powerfully impacts how well you can perform.

date : November 5, 2008
author : FitWerx
Is gear overlap from the big to small ring a consideration? Will the ratio increment of the compact setup be very beneficial to my riding?
date : May 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
Did you flat training or racing on your tubular tire? This video will show you everything you need to do to change your tubular tire.