BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2014-08-05 9:36 PM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open
Originally posted by adempsey10

I am so fired up tonight. I came first in a 40km road race. My sprint topped out at 62.8km/hr. 

David - I don't know that I'll have much time to work on it. I've been holed up on my office at school working on my thesis. I'll try to get something done but I can't make any guarantees. It's a pretty stressful time right now. Jess (my wife) has to move back to Ottawa for her job so we have to pay a mortgage here and for an apartment there. We're trying to rent out some rooms here to cover costs. With Ironman coming up, my thesis, Jess' move and finding a tenant things are pretty tense around here right now. Cycling is my therapy and tonight was a breakthrough session. I needed that bump. 

Alan - I hope the four of us (+my wife Heidi) can get together for a beer in MT.

My vote would be to wait until after IMMT. I loved your logo and am willing to wait.

Way to kick some butt tonight! 40 mph is b@d! Congrats man! I hope the knee is healing!

2014-08-05 9:42 PM

User image

Expert
All that time in the hammock seems to have paid off. I only had a 20 mile bike ride and a 3 mile run. I almost enjoyed myself. My legs are still tired but I actually enjoyed myself for the first time in almost a month. Such a difference when you are riding to recover!

I enjoyed two beers tonight both by Shorts Brewing = A kolsch (spot on in terms of style) and a session beer they call the Stroker Ace. I really like how a lot of the session beers - especially IPAs are going big in terms of the hops.

A pretty nice way to begin the taper. Tomorrow a two mile swim.
2014-08-06 12:26 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

New user
Auburn, AL

I had a pretty exciting weekend.  My son competed in a Kids Tri and came in third in his age group!!  I was looking at the results last night and found out he missed second by .3 seconds!  I'm super proud of him and he wants to do it again.

2014-08-06 2:18 PM

User image

Originally posted by Qua17

Sandi - Nothing is ever impossible. I am a firm believer that anyone can do anything with the right mind set. However - if you do it, it's gonna really challenge you. But if there is beer at the end - it might be worth it!

If you decide to do it next year - you could easily build up and do either next year. You would have to make hills a major part of your workouts but from what I read it looks like it would be a lot of fun!. Good luck with the decision!

Except I think I read that the beer was a PBR. I'm not sure that's worth it. :-)

Realistically I've only ridden at most 15 miles at a shot this year. I could probably train for the shorter distance in 3 weeks but not only would that kick my butt, the altitude in general probably would. We're flying in, so I'd have two days to adjust to the altitude before riding the distance on hills I'm just not ready for. I'm thinking it might be a good goal for next year, and maybe might intrigue my husband enough that I can get him to train for it with me.

Hills in general are a problem I'm going to have to figure out. All of our bike trails are fairly flat here in Seattle....lots of hills, but on roads I'm just not keen on biking (I'm not a big bike in traffic person). When we were in Idaho in June one of my problems was that 1) the bike trails tend to have a constant elevation gain one direction that is gradual...so it's way tougher one direction than the other but NOT really hill training, and 2) I found not much HILLY terrain. Really, really long hills up and down......miles and miles each way. But it sounds like I'm going to need to find good training hills over the coming year.

Sandi
2014-08-06 10:05 PM
in reply to: sandishr

User image

After a short break I am back. Glad I went back and read all the back and forth on the bike. I am new to biking and can use all the help I can get. On a good note I am back to doing leg work in the gym. My back pain is almost gone. Still a little sharp pain from time to time but its manageable.

Training is going well in all aspects. I started tri last June and struggled to swim 100yrd. Just completed 1400 holding my 2:30 pace. Not fast, but steady. My bike has gone from me feeling like I was flying at 10mph and not being able to use my water bottle to avg 16mph on rides and having added water behind the seat b/c I am able to drink it all. As for running I went from saying I'd rather get shot in the leg than have to run to wanting to run a marathon, and signing up for a half marathon with my wife in Jan.

I am getting a little nervous about beach to battle. I feel like I will not be prepared, not so much physically but having everything I need and nutrition wise.

Did we ever decide on a logo? If we did can someone private message me I'll send you my personal email so I can give it to my wife to put in a form we can use.

Scott
2014-08-07 10:23 AM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

New user
Auburn, AL

Originally posted by b2b14  I am getting a little nervous about beach to battle. I feel like I will not be prepared, not so much physically but having everything I need and nutrition wise. 

I totally get where you are coming from with the feeling not prepared part.  I have Augusta 70.3 in 71/2 weeks and I'm really not ready for the run.  I think I'm solid on the Swim and Bike but the Run has me worried. 

Hopefully we can both get things ready by race day!

2014-08-07 12:21 PM
in reply to: podemma

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Two things I've learned, the hard way:

(1) The two keys to long-distance triathlon are mental and nutrition. Period.

(2) Nobody ever said "I should have pushed harder on the bike."

Figure out what works for *you* on nutrition. It's very personal. Eat off the course, if possible. I've gone through 6 tubs of IM Perform powder, and have 3 more waiting.

My IM nutrition plan is as follows:

Light breakfast, unsweetened oatmeal and a scoop of whey protein. Top off the liver stores.
Bottle of perform, salt tab, and a cliff bar about an hour before the gun. Finished 30 minutes prior.
Bonk breaker bar in T1. Relax.
Every 30 minutes: salt tab, gel or half a bar (alternating). Drink prior to thirst.

Puts me at ~380 calories per hour and about 1,400mg of sodium per hour. I may need to up the salt intake.

During my last five hour ride, I burned about 2,200 calories and ate about 2,000. The net burn was 40 calories per hour. I bricked off the bike, 45 minutes, averaging 9:00 flat per mile before cooldown, which is booking for me, and including 1.5 miles at 8:30 pace.

This recipe is for a fantastic run. Bike intensity = RPE 3 or 4, with a motto of "Barely Working."

Be the guy with a sh**-eating grin at mile 10, not the guy with a killer bike split and in misery at mile 6 (i.e., don't be me).
2014-08-07 4:53 PM
in reply to: #4996400

User image

New user
Calgary, Alberta
Vacation beers but not sure this old phone will do it...

(IMG523.jpg)

(IMG524.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
(0KB - 1 downloads)
IMG523.jpg (149KB - 4 downloads)
IMG524.jpg (139KB - 3 downloads)
2014-08-07 7:49 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by podemma

Originally posted by b2b14  I am getting a little nervous about beach to battle. I feel like I will not be prepared, not so much physically but having everything I need and nutrition wise. 

I totally get where you are coming from with the feeling not prepared part.  I have Augusta 70.3 in 71/2 weeks and I'm really not ready for the run.  I think I'm solid on the Swim and Bike but the Run has me worried. 

One of the great things about this forum is that things have a way of repeating themselves. I had the same concerns/doubts prior to my first HIM in 2012 and Thor told me something that I will pass along to you, "If the race were tomorrow, you would finish. It might not be fun - but you would finish. Your job in the next couple weeks is to put in the work so you'll have a blast. (I looked for his post in the archives but couldn't find it. You're just gonna have to trust me).

Truer words have never been uttered. You will finish. Use the time between now and your races to figure out what what you need to work on and then get to work. Oh and reward yourself with a cold beer!

If there is anyway we can help - let us know.
2014-08-07 7:53 PM

User image

Expert

I had a pretty exciting weekend.  My son competed in a Kids Tri and came in third in his age group!!  I was looking at the results last night and found out he missed second by .3 seconds!  I'm super proud of him and he wants to do it again.

Must be in the genes! Love the fact that so many of our kids are getting active!
2014-08-07 8:05 PM

User image

Expert
Ten days to the race and the craziest thing is happening - I'm starting to enjoy tri again. Today I went out for a 50 mile bike ride. Prior to heading out the door - I procrastinated for almost two hours. But once I got going - I found myself really enjoying the ride. Going down hills was fun. Pushing it ever so slightly on the flats was exciting, and not having to hammer up the hills was a relief. And my speed is slowly returning. Yea!

We have one more day up here and then it's home to mass. I know I can't complain having been up here for 6 weeks, but I'm kind of sad to be leaving this wonderful place. Having said that - it's been a good six weeks. I've bonded with the fam. Drank some awesome beer, and got in some awesome training.

Hope everyone is ready for a good weekend!

2014-08-07 8:10 PM

User image

Must be in the genes! Love the fact that so many of our kids are getting active!

I know it's probably a regular occurrence for you folks with kids but it is a really great feeling to have a positive influence in a young life. My three year old sister is going to run the kids 1km run with me, my wife, my dad and his wife on Saturday before the Ironman. Next year she'll be old enough to run kids triathlons. I'm happy that we're starting her out young into sports. It'll set her up for a long term healthy active lifestyle. 

2014-08-07 9:20 PM

User image

david thanks for the encouragement. I will keep that in mind as I train for the next 2 months. My race date is Oct 25.

I think for my daughter it has been watching me train on the bike trainer and seeing my wife and I run. She asks to swim on weekends if I swim and actually pouts if I don't have time to take her. She will even sit on the side of the pool while I swim (as long as it is not more than 20 min). Growing up my dad was a coach and I know that lead to my being involved in sports though college.

Did the indoor trainer today 45 min with 6 sets of 2min as hard as possible mixed in. Turned on Return of the Jedi and it was over before I knew it . Going to try to fit in my run and swim tomorrow but my schedule has been changed (surprise, surprise) so I have to come in after only being off for 7 hours. If I take the hour drive out I will only get about 5 hours of sleep. so I may run and skip the swim or swim 2 days in a row to make up for tomorrow.

Anyone have any advise on cold weather biking? I didn't ride this past winter but my HIM being at the end of October with NC weather it could be 70 or it could be 40 there is just no way to know. I was thinking of using some old socks as arm warmers so I could just drop them in the special needs bag if I didn't need them or leave them in T1.

For nutrition on the bike I mix 1/2 scoop of protein in with my cytomax or cliff shot ect. I also bought a frame bag to put a cliff bar and a few gels. I am going to work on eating the bar and/or gels while I am doing my long ride this Monday, assuming the weather holds off (storms are heading our way).

No beer this week as I am working nights. On a side note I am down from 236 to 228 even with eating more than normal. If I'm not carful I will fall out of my Clydesdale class and have to race you skinny guys.

Scott
2014-08-07 11:20 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA
Found out last minute that today is "IPA Day" so I celebrated with a wonderful DIPA from Green Flash and a nice hoppy session IPA from Firestone.Training wise I'm ramping up a bit of everything as my first Oly is just 6.5 weeks away followed closely by a another half-marathon just a fee weeks later. For the Oly I'm feeling confident (yet slow) about the distance however my bike still needs some work to feel good about the run. Fortunately the course is pretty flat (San Diego along Mission Bay) so there won't be any hills to burn my legs. If I take it easy on the last quarter of the bike I think the run should go smooth.
2014-08-08 8:05 AM

User image

New user
Auburn, AL

Originally posted by b2b14  For nutrition on the bike I mix 1/2 scoop of protein in with my cytomax or cliff shot ect. I also bought a frame bag to put a cliff bar and a few gels. I am going to work on eating the bar and/or gels while I am doing my long ride this Monday, assuming the weather holds off (storms are heading our way).  Scott

Looks like they are serving HEED on course at B2B.  It might be worth investing in some to make sure you like it and it agrees with your stomach during a hard training ride.  Even if you plan on not using on course nutrition there is always a change you could loose a bottle and be forced to live off the course.  Best to be prepared.

I have been using Perform in my training the last few weeks since that's what will be on course at Augusta and I plan on getting my fluid off the course.  I'm glad I did since it is very different than the Gatorade I used to train with.  I don't have any issues with Perform, like a lot of people seem to, it's just really different and I'm glad I did not figure that out on race day.

2014-08-08 8:09 AM

User image

New user
Auburn, AL

One of the great things about this forum is that things have a way of repeating themselves. I had the same concerns/doubts prior to my first HIM in 2012 and Thor told me something that I will pass along to you, "If the race were tomorrow, you would finish. It might not be fun - but you would finish. Your job in the next couple weeks is to put in the work so you'll have a blast. (I looked for his post in the archives but couldn't find it. You're just gonna have to trust me). Truer words have never been uttered. You will finish. Use the time between now and your races to figure out what what you need to work on and then get to work. Oh and reward yourself with a cold beer! If there is anyway we can help - let us know.

Thanks for the words of encouragement! 

2014-08-08 9:57 AM

User image

Originally posted by b2b14  For nutrition on the bike I mix 1/2 scoop of protein in with my cytomax or cliff shot ect. I also bought a frame bag to put a cliff bar and a few gels. I am going to work on eating the bar and/or gels while I am doing my long ride this Monday, assuming the weather holds off (storms are heading our way).  Scott

Looks like they are serving HEED on course at B2B.  It might be worth investing in some to make sure you like it and it agrees with your stomach during a hard training ride.  Even if you plan on not using on course nutrition there is always a change you could loose a bottle and be forced to live off the course.  Best to be prepared.

I have been using Perform in my training the last few weeks since that's what will be on course at Augusta and I plan on getting my fluid off the course.  I'm glad I did since it is very different than the Gatorade I used to train with.  I don't have any issues with Perform, like a lot of people seem to, it's just really different and I'm glad I did not figure that out on race day.

Thx for the advise. guess I should switch to cliff gels and bloks. Got almost no sleep last night but did get my run in and on my way to the pool.

David glad to hear that your having fun again.
2014-08-08 11:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Illinois

Anyone have any advise on cold weather biking? I didn't ride this past winter but my HIM being at the end of October with NC weather it could be 70 or it could be 40 there is just no way to know. I was thinking of using some old socks as arm warmers so I could just drop them in the special needs bag if I didn't need them or leave them in T1.

Buy real arm warmers from Performance Bike. Knee warmers go *under* the bibs.

Also, figure out what works for you. Cycling is weird - I've seen and ridden with high-level cyclists who wear full warmers, a base layer, a jersey, and a long-sleeve windbreaker at 65 degrees. I wear a jersey and bibs at 60 degrees on up, and from 50 to 60 will roll with warmers, which are shed about 30 minutes in to the ride. From 35 to 45 or 50, I'll roll with thermal knickers (best purchase ever). Below that, thermal tights, thermal base layer, jersey. Gloves for 50 and below.

More so than any other sport, heat tolerance in cycling is extremely personal.

For 40 to 70, I would have a set of warmers (knee and arm) in my bag, and probably a vest and windbreaker.
2014-08-09 9:13 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by b2b14

No beer this week as I am working nights. On a side note I am down from 236 to 228 even with eating more than normal. If I'm not carful I will fall out of my Clydesdale class and have to race you skinny guys.

Scott

Scott - I like how you think. When money was tight this winter - I found cheap ways to stay warm on the bike. My go to was just taking along a thin winter cap. Often I would wear one when I set out and then take it off when I got warm. I also used old socks for arm and knee warmers. When things got really coldl, I used an old pair of ski pants to keep the wind out. Putting on an extra pair of socks (I ended up going with thick wool socks in December when things really got cold).

Congrats on the weight loss! That's awesome and will help you crush that HIM.

Gotta sign off... headed into Canada. Gotta keep my eyes open for moose and Canadians drunk on Molson. Wait, I think I see Thor!
2014-08-09 9:22 AM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Expert
Originally posted by MOlsen

Found out last minute that today is "IPA Day" so I celebrated with a wonderful DIPA from Green Flash and a nice hoppy session IPA from Firestone.Training wise I'm ramping up a bit of everything as my first Oly is just 6.5 weeks away followed closely by a another half-marathon just a fee weeks later. For the Oly I'm feeling confident (yet slow) about the distance however my bike still needs some work to feel good about the run. Fortunately the course is pretty flat (San Diego along Mission Bay) so there won't be any hills to burn my legs. If I take it easy on the last quarter of the bike I think the run should go smooth.

I love Green Flash - they make some great beer! They are heavy on the floral notes and light on the malt - a winning combo IMHO. With all the running you've been doing - you should be all set for the OLY. What are you doing to get faster on the bike? That's gonna be a major goal of mine for the month of September. I might do an OLY or a HIM in September with the fam and really focus on speed.
2014-08-09 2:51 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Originally posted by MOlsen

Are you doing the tri rock?

2014-08-09 3:19 PM
in reply to: SportzVision

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Work still trying to kill me...school is its ally and family saves me. This family cracks me up!
Haven't been on much but I am here. I am so busy at work I cannot even follow the post in my email! But I scheduled time to read everything today.

My last OLy was a disaster but its in the books and I learned some valuable lessons. Eat the night before...don't forget. While working on a huge paper the night before my race i did not follow through on my nutrition and paid for it dearly in the run. Enough said.
'
Two big changes I have added to my life:

1. I have a personal trainer! We have worked together three times and she has helped me tremendously with my swim and run form. Three small changes to my form two days before my race and I improved my swim by four minutes. She is doing the Lake Tahoe Ironman in a few weeks so I am really excited to go check it out!

2. I am adding much more protein to my diet. I am not nearly getting enough the way I was eating previously, fats and carbs? oh those are well taken care of but protein is lacking.

Question, looks like i am going to need to add a protein powder to my diet. One low in sugar because I am diabetic. I am at a loss here, having never used a powder. I have drank Muscle Milk, it was on sale for $1 a bottle many months back but i wasn't really paying attention to how it affected my diet.

Also, a friend recommended the If it Fits Your Macros plan...never heard of it but what I have read it seems like a general healthy eating plan, track all your food, take in less calories than you use and pay attention to your Macros and Micros. No magic pill there.

I would love to hear your thoughts on any of these topics...pppaaaaleeesse

2014-08-09 5:24 PM
in reply to: SportzVision

User image

Originally posted by SportzVision

Work still trying to kill me...school is its ally and family saves me. This family cracks me up!
Haven't been on much but I am here. I am so busy at work I cannot even follow the post in my email! But I scheduled time to read everything today.

My last OLy was a disaster but its in the books and I learned some valuable lessons. Eat the night before...don't forget. While working on a huge paper the night before my race i did not follow through on my nutrition and paid for it dearly in the run. Enough said.
'
Two big changes I have added to my life:

1. I have a personal trainer! We have worked together three times and she has helped me tremendously with my swim and run form. Three small changes to my form two days before my race and I improved my swim by four minutes. She is doing the Lake Tahoe Ironman in a few weeks so I am really excited to go check it out!

2. I am adding much more protein to my diet. I am not nearly getting enough the way I was eating previously, fats and carbs? oh those are well taken care of but protein is lacking.

Question, looks like i am going to need to add a protein powder to my diet. One low in sugar because I am diabetic. I am at a loss here, having never used a powder. I have drank Muscle Milk, it was on sale for $1 a bottle many months back but i wasn't really paying attention to how it affected my diet.

Also, a friend recommended the If it Fits Your Macros plan...never heard of it but what I have read it seems like a general healthy eating plan, track all your food, take in less calories than you use and pay attention to your Macros and Micros. No magic pill there.

I would love to hear your thoughts on any of these topics...pppaaaaleeesse

Not sure if you have a costco near you but they have cryosport 100% whey protein (huge bag) for a really good price. They make muscle milk also. I use at least 3 scoops on most days 2 of 100%whey and one of casein at night before I go to bed. (I do a lot of heavy lifting for work). If you don't have costco bodybulding.com is a good site they have a large variety of 100% whey . Whey is good to use as you work out and right after, casein is VERY thick and great to take before bed to help with muscle regeneration. I always use vanilla whey because I can mix it in my bottles with electrolytes for the bike (1/2 scoop), make smoothies, mix with OJ ect.

Finally something I know about hahaha
2014-08-09 8:17 PM
in reply to: #5036673

User image

Veteran
Illinois
For protein powder, I usually spend a small fortunate at bodybuilding.com on black friday, for optimum whey. Stuff is great. I just ran out about two weeks ago. Now I use Body Fortress from Walmart. Works well enough. 2g of sugar per serving. The vanilla goes with pretty much everything. Add it to cooked old fashioned oats for a great breakfast.
2014-08-09 9:53 PM
in reply to: #5037603

User image

Did a bit of an impulse entry in a sprint today. This was also my first competitive race as the last was a try a tri. I had checked out the lake on Thursday and decided to go for it. Overall, I'm really pleased with how it went....finished in 1:39. The swim shockingly was faster than my last--not by much, but the water was much murkier requiring a lot more sighting and the wave was larger than my last....did it in 8:30 minutes (500 m). That included a little panic minute which definitely affected my time, so I feel pretty confident I can get a really good swim time with more practice. Shortened T1 by a minute and a half which was my main race goal. The bike is definitely my Achilles heel...with the hybrid I just can't do much more but I'm still happy with an average of 15+mph, and it was a longer course than my last by a couple of miles as well as being a bit tougher. I improved the run by about 45 seconds which was another goal.

To celebrate we are checking out a new local craft brewery. Currently enjoying a Salish seas pale ale...hubby is having the drop anchor ipa which is my next one!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 50238 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19338 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.