BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2014-08-11 10:06 AM
in reply to: sandishr

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open
Originally posted by sandishr

Did a bit of an impulse entry in a sprint today. This was also my first competitive race as the last was a try a tri. I had checked out the lake on Thursday and decided to go for it. Overall, I'm really pleased with how it went....finished in 1:39. The swim shockingly was faster than my last--not by much, but the water was much murkier requiring a lot more sighting and the wave was larger than my last....did it in 8:30 minutes (500 m). That included a little panic minute which definitely affected my time, so I feel pretty confident I can get a really good swim time with more practice. Shortened T1 by a minute and a half which was my main race goal. The bike is definitely my Achilles heel...with the hybrid I just can't do much more but I'm still happy with an average of 15+mph, and it was a longer course than my last by a couple of miles as well as being a bit tougher. I improved the run by about 45 seconds which was another goal.

To celebrate we are checking out a new local craft brewery. Currently enjoying a Salish seas pale ale...hubby is having the drop anchor ipa which is my next one!

Awesome job Sandi! Sounds like you crushed all your goals! And don't be too hard on yourself about your bike time. As I think I have said, I'm lucky to average 14+ on the Bill Baroo (my Trek Madone) despite all my training this year. I hope you are super proud of yourself!

2014-08-11 10:09 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Let's hear it for the BDAAS. Sandi's race post put us over a thousand for our total number of posts. That's a new record. Just goes to show that we are all kicking a$$ and taking names!

Keep on supporting each other people. It's what it's all about!
2014-08-11 10:19 AM

User image

Expert
A personal message as I gear up for IMMT on Sunday.

I'm doing the Ironman to raise money for Franciscan Children's Hospital where my son spent 3 months in 2004 when he feel out of a 3rd story window. He's thriving right now because of the doctors, nurses and therapists who were able to work miracles despite a lack of funding. So far, I've raised over $5,000 towards my $10,000 goal and I need all the help can get to raise the rest of the money.

Here is the link if you would be willing to make a donation:
http://fhfc.kintera.org/faf/home/default.asp?ievent=1109418

Many thanks!
DQ
2014-08-11 10:31 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

This past weekend I went to Grimsby, ON with my wife to support her while she ran the Irongirl women's triathlon. She, my Mom, my step-mom, and a friend of ours all ran it. 500m/20km/5km distance. My wife landed a respectable 1:37. She was one of the first 20 people out of the water and had a strong bike but her run is slower than average so she lost time there. My mom unfortunately had mechanical issues on the bike, fortunately they happened near to where I was watching along the bike course so I managed to fix the problem, twice. My step-mom, Cathy, however, killed it. It was her first triathlon ever and this is the first year she's ever been on a road bike. She came in 75th overall (out of 800) and 15th in her age group (out of 120). She was in the 40-45 AG, the largest group in the field. Our friend Christina came 220 overall. This too is her first year in triathlon and second triathlon (she did a Try-a-tri earlier in the year). She got a 5km PB on the run portion. 

David - Are you in Canada already? Are you driving? If so, what route are you taking? I can offer some fun stops and places to check out. When do you arrive in Tremblant? Drink a Beau's while you're in Ontario. Also try Dead Elephant IPA, brewed near London where I currently reside. Named so because it is brewed by the Railway City Brewing company, which itself is named for the nickname of the town where Jumbo the elephant died (killed by train). Hence Dead Elephant IPA. Also try anything by the Muskoka Brewing company. Also try Hogsback, brewed in Ottawa around the corner from my old apartment. All these can be found at your local LCBO. Also, if you must drink Molson, wait until you're in Quebec and get yourself a Molson Export. I don't know if its the water or what, but Ex tastes better in Quebec.

Fill up on Gas before crossing to Quebec, its cheaper in Ontario. 

Edited by adempsey10 2014-08-11 10:33 AM
2014-08-11 11:19 AM

User image

New user
Auburn, AL

Originally posted by sandishr Did a bit of an impulse entry in a sprint today. This was also my first competitive race as the last was a try a tri. I had checked out the lake on Thursday and decided to go for it. Overall, I'm really pleased with how it went....finished in 1:39. The swim shockingly was faster than my last--not by much, but the water was much murkier requiring a lot more sighting and the wave was larger than my last....did it in 8:30 minutes (500 m). That included a little panic minute which definitely affected my time, so I feel pretty confident I can get a really good swim time with more practice. Shortened T1 by a minute and a half which was my main race goal. The bike is definitely my Achilles heel...with the hybrid I just can't do much more but I'm still happy with an average of 15+mph, and it was a longer course than my last by a couple of miles as well as being a bit tougher. I improved the run by about 45 seconds which was another goal. To celebrate we are checking out a new local craft brewery. Currently enjoying a Salish seas pale ale...hubby is having the drop anchor ipa which is my next one!

Congrats on the race.  It's always good to see improvement!

2014-08-11 1:52 PM

User image

, Vermont
Race complete, back home - I'll have a RR up at some point - maybe tonight.
3rd in my age group - came away with a new pint glass which I promptly filled when I got back to camp.
The small of it is this - the race had different distances: 600 yd swim, 14 mile bike with a "class 5" climb, and a 5k run.
My T1 was not great but it's my first time. The 40-44 age group was the largest and apparently most competitive. While I finished 3rd in my age group, I would have taken first in the three younger age groups! LOL These old biddies are tough! I was in the last swim wave (40+ age women) and had the crap kicked out of me! Punched, kicked, etc - pretty surprising for that group I would have thought.
I had been at camp for a week and a half so not sleeping in my own bed for quite some time. We also had 3 other families show up with 3 babies and 2 toddlers - can you say sleepless nights? (and I drank a loooot of beer - pictures to come. ) I came into the race with not much expectation but overall I'm glad I sucked it up and did it to finally set some baseline numbers after the other race cancelled two weeks ago. Still contemplating the Oly in 3 weeks.

Swim: 600yd = 11:18
T1 = 1:54
Bike: 14 miles = 46:53 (about 18 mph)
T2 = 1:01
Run: 5k uphill right out of the gate (trying to kill us) = 25:42 (8:14 pace)

Overall time = 1:26:48

Cheers!
Jenn

Edited by aviatrix802 2014-08-11 1:54 PM

2014-08-12 10:23 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

, Vermont
Oh, one other thing for the bike shirt - if we want a "saying" on it.

Do the logo and under it....wait for it....."POWERED BY HOPS"
Had to add that - my brother just came up with it.

or..."BDAAS - POWERED BY HOPS"

just cracks me up.
2014-08-12 11:41 AM

User image

Awesome race, Jenn!!!
2014-08-12 2:42 PM

User image

, Vermont
Thanks, Sandi! You too on that impromptu sprint!!! That's awesome to see progress already!!! Go, girl!!
I'm a bit behind reading posts as we just got back from camp yesterday so forgive me for not getting kudos out sooner!!

I finally did a RR. Now to get my beer pictures up! LOL (that's the most important part, right?!)

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
2014-08-12 4:55 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Great job on the race!

I had a good weekend of training. On Saturday I went for a 24 mile ride that included a "rabbit" to chase. I couldn't match his more experienced hill climbing but on the flats I was able to chase him down a couple of times and let him draft for a while. Even while he was drafting I had a "need to push harder!" mentality to make his draft worthwhile. He offered to pull but I declined since my next couple of races are not draft legal. Sunday was a nice slow 8 mile run out to my favorite beach and back.

Next week I'll be in on a work trip to just south of Nashville, TN. Anyone have any beer recommendations from that area I should try? I'm going to do some running to keep my training moving forward, hopefully the high humidity won't slow me down too much.

2014-08-13 10:05 AM

User image

I late to the party but I'd like to join the group.

My name if Jeff. I'm knocking on the door of 50. My first and last sprint tri was in January 2000. I had a injury later that year and have been on the couch since then. Starting to lose some of the weight but still have a ways to go before running distance. I'm looking to run another sprint after the first of the year. Just trying to cut back on the Murphy"s and get off the couch.

2014-08-14 11:47 AM
in reply to: rzinky

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Welcome aboard Jeff.

I've been watching and seeing everyone, and it's great to hear everyone's progress. With DQ gearing up for IMMT on Sunday, I hope everyone's sending him good vibes and kind thoughts.

Personally, my last few weeks have been brutal. IM Racine 70.3, then a century ride and brick, then 80 miles of hill climbing, then 120 miles and 3 hours of running last weekend, and coming up, a 2.4 mile open water swim and a lot of riding on the IMWI course.

Feeling pretty good, but I'm sleeping a lot more. Eating well but not over-eating too much, and I haven't bothered with the scale in about two months. I look good, I feel good, and I can't wait for the taper. I've always loved breakfast, but with all these early morning monster workouts, it's getting tossed by the wayside, and the first real meal (i.e., not applesauce, energy bars, or gel) is usually supper, followed a nap and then dinner three hours later. I miss breakfast

I'm also trying to figure out what to wear at IMWI. I'm really only racing for me, not some charity or special cause, so I'm trying to find something cool and fun to wear, but I'm at a roadblock. I was thinking something like this jersey .

I was also thinking about getting a white jersey and having something printed on it. Not certain yet though. Any thoughts or suggestions?
2014-08-14 7:42 PM
in reply to: rzinky

User image

Expert
Originally posted by rzinky

I late to the party but I'd like to join the group.

My name if Jeff. I'm knocking on the door of 50. My first and last sprint tri was in January 2000. I had a injury later that year and have been on the couch since then. Starting to lose some of the weight but still have a ways to go before running distance. I'm looking to run another sprint after the first of the year. Just trying to cut back on the Murphy"s and get off the couch.

Jeff: It's never to late to join - we would love to have you! When you have a moment - go to the first page of this forum and cut and paste my bio and fill in all your info. Not only would we like to get to know you better - but setting out some of your goals will help you get off the couch so you don't have to cut back so much on the Murphy's.
2014-08-14 7:54 PM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Expert
Arrived in Mont Tremblant today and it couldn't come a moment to soon. I have not been enjoying the taper. My anxiety has been building and I'm turning into a grouch! Getting here has got me excited again. I can't wait to head out for a short swim tomorrow.

Sorry I've been AWOL for the past week. I hope everyone's training is going well!

2014-08-15 7:54 AM

User image

just checking in, been sick so no workouts for a week. I have fever throat ear and nose infection. I got on meds yesterday so hopefully this will be gone by Sunday when I am suppose to do a sprint race.
2014-08-15 8:03 AM

User image

New user
Auburn, AL

Originally posted by Qua17 Arrived in Mont Tremblant today and it couldn't come a moment to soon. I have not been enjoying the taper. My anxiety has been building and I'm turning into a grouch! Getting here has got me excited again. I can't wait to head out for a short swim tomorrow. Sorry I've been AWOL for the past week. I hope everyone's training is going well!

Best of luck this weekend!  All the training will be paying off!

2014-08-15 11:45 AM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Originally posted by Qua17 Arrived in Mont Tremblant today and it couldn't come a moment to soon. I have not been enjoying the taper. My anxiety has been building and I'm turning into a grouch! Getting here has got me excited again. I can't wait to head out for a short swim tomorrow. Sorry I've been AWOL for the past week. I hope everyone's training is going well!

You are going to do great! Looking forward to the race and beer reports.

2014-08-15 7:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Good luck to David and Alan this weekend. Looking forward to tracking both of you during the race! Warm coors light or acold fin du monde bier from unibroue!! Remember to enjoy the experience!

Edited by thor67 2014-08-15 7:07 PM
2014-08-15 8:46 PM
in reply to: thor67

User image

, Vermont
I second Thor!! Best of skill and a little luck wouldn't hurt! Enjoy, finish with a smile - the beer will taste even better!!
2014-08-16 11:45 PM

User image

, Vermont
A couple of pics from last weekend.

(Aug 2014 sprint tri - Copy.jpg)

(aug 2014 sprint tri awards - Copy.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Aug 2014 sprint tri - Copy.jpg (21KB - 3 downloads)
aug 2014 sprint tri awards - Copy.jpg (222KB - 5 downloads)
2014-08-17 7:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by aviatrix802 A couple of pics from last weekend.
Great job Jenn!

2014-08-17 8:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
DQ swam a 1:31:17, and crossed mile 4.3 on the bike at 8:50est. I'll probably be posting results all day.

I thought of something - triathlon, especially long course, is a contiunal struggle to re-define what a "10" effort is - and knowing that it's going to take an 11 to finish. All it takes, is all that you got.
2014-08-17 10:52 AM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by mirthfuldragon DQ swam a 1:31:17, and crossed mile 4.3 on the bike at 8:50est. I'll probably be posting results all day. I thought of something - triathlon, especially long course, is a contiunal struggle to re-define what a "10" effort is - and knowing that it's going to take an 11 to finish. All it takes, is all that you got.

Also Alan D is racing.

Swim 1:22

Done 55.6 miles on bike. Race time of:4:19

David is done 45.7miles on bike. Race time of 4:56.

based on alan's speed(went from around 20mph average to 15.5) for the next leg of bike, David is in for some hill climbing!

2014-08-17 12:56 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Originally posted by thor67

Originally posted by mirthfuldragon DQ swam a 1:31:17, and crossed mile 4.3 on the bike at 8:50est. I'll probably be posting results all day. I thought of something - triathlon, especially long course, is a contiunal struggle to re-define what a "10" effort is - and knowing that it's going to take an 11 to finish. All it takes, is all that you got.

Also Alan D is racing.

Swim 1:22

Done 55.6 miles on bike. Race time of:4:19

David is done 45.7miles on bike. Race time of 4:56.

based on alan's speed(went from around 20mph average to 15.5) for the next leg of bike, David is in for some hill climbing!

He must of hit a hill at mile 50 but he is back up to 15 mph now.Woot woot! DQ is going strong.
2014-08-17 1:06 PM
in reply to: #4996400

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA
How does a BDAAS triathlete spend a 3 hour layover at the airport? Power walk the terminal twice for 4 miles then enjoy the local craft brewery while having lunch. The Four Peaks "Hop Knot" IPA is a bright and hoppy West Coast style. In contrast their "Raj" IPA is a maltier English style. Both are very tastey!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 50595 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19493 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.