BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2014-08-17 1:12 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

New user
Auburn, AL
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open

Managed to catch our man Alan on the live feed coming out of T2!

(Alan IMMT 2.png)

(Alan IMMT.PNG)

Attachments
----------------
Alan IMMT 2.png (457KB - 3 downloads)
Alan IMMT.PNG (449KB - 3 downloads)

2014-08-17 5:07 PM
in reply to: podemma

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by podemma

Nice catch! He should be finishing in the next 20 minutes by my calculations...

2014-08-17 6:02 PM
in reply to: rzinky

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Originally posted by rzinky

I late to the party but I'd like to join the group.

My name if Jeff. I'm knocking on the door of 50. My first and last sprint tri was in January 2000. I had a injury later that year and have been on the couch since then. Starting to lose some of the weight but still have a ways to go before running distance. I'm looking to run another sprint after the first of the year. Just trying to cut back on the Murphy"s and get off the couch.

Do I hear someone knocking? I am at the 50 doorway too! Welcome to the half century mark and to BDAAS
2014-08-17 6:24 PM
in reply to: SportzVision

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by SportzVision
Originally posted by rzinky I late to the party but I'd like to join the group. My name if Jeff. I'm knocking on the door of 50. My first and last sprint tri was in January 2000. I had a injury later that year and have been on the couch since then. Starting to lose some of the weight but still have a ways to go before running distance. I'm looking to run another sprint after the first of the year. Just trying to cut back on the Murphy"s and get off the couch.
Do I hear someone knocking? I am at the 50 doorway too! Welcome to the half century mark and to BDAAS

Is 47 knocking at the doorway, or just looking at it from the street...

by the way did someone do a triathlon yesterday....Cynthia??

2014-08-17 7:25 PM
in reply to: thor67

User image

All done my first Ironman. I came in under 2 hours. Im so happy with my run time. With my complete lack to training because of my knee injury. I felt really strong on the run and I did not have any pain at all. I'm so happy right now. I saw David and I cheered him on but I don't think he realized it was me. He was looking really strong. 

It was awesome you fellas were watching out for us.

I cried when I crosse the finished the line. If you haven't done one, do it. It's incredible. 

David and I met up yesterday and the day before, we went for beer yesterday afternoon. It was great to connect with someone on here in person. He's such a great guy. Great attitude. I'm really proud to be a part of this group with such fine folks. Hope to meet up with other people in the future. This blog really and everyone's advice, experience and encouragement really made a big difference for me and my training. Thanks, everyone for being there every step of the way. 

2014-08-17 8:37 PM
in reply to: #5040298

User image

, Vermont
Congratulations Alan and Dave!!!!! You guys are awesome!!! Enjoy those beers!!! It's so great to be able to follow you!!

I had the opportunity to meet another mom from this site - different thread, and now we plan to meet up for fall ows! So great!
I hope to talk Dave into doing the Bay State half or full marathon so I can meet him!

2014-08-18 4:57 AM
in reply to: #5040420

User image

Congrats on your ironman! I can only imagine how awesome that must feel.
2014-08-18 4:59 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

New user
Madrid
Congrats to this new Ironmen! Alan, Dave, I am extremely jealous as never crossed a finish line of a full IM, but this blog is really contributing to it. The immense satisfaction you must be feeling right now and the great rewards you get -including great beers- are a wonderful motivation for the rest of us. Enjoy this moment!!
2014-08-18 5:10 AM
in reply to: #5040473

User image

I raced a sprint this weekend, but after being sick race may be a stretch. I woke up and decided not to go having just broken my fever the day before, but I had a coworker Chris doing his first tri that day and I was the one who talked him into signing up. I drug myself out of bed got to the race picked up my packet set my transition then ran into Chris. He was starting about 30 people in front of me (pool swim). I decided to swim and bike comfortably then walk/jog the run. Due to people mis seeding themselves I ended up walking half the swim, but I was fine with it. During t1 I didn't even try to go fast dried off well and sat down on my bucket. Finally got on the bike and off to a moderately hilly course. I couldn't breath very well and was blowing out snot everywhere but kept going. Back at t2 I just kicked off my bike shoes put on my running shoes and started to jog. I caught up to Chris in the first .25 mile and told him I'd run with him and let him set the pace. We jogged most of the way he wanted to walk some and I wasn't going to argue that was my plan anyway. We finished together which was pretty cool. He says I pushed him but in reality had it not been for him I would have walked most if not all the 5k. Went home and went to bed.

(trifinish.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
trifinish.jpg (15KB - 3 downloads)
2014-08-18 6:49 AM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

New user
Auburn, AL

Congrats to Alan and David on becoming an Ironman!

2014-08-18 6:50 AM

User image

New user
Auburn, AL

Originally posted by b2b14 I raced a sprint this weekend, but after being sick race may be a stretch. I woke up and decided not to go having just broken my fever the day before, but I had a coworker Chris doing his first tri that day and I was the one who talked him into signing up. I drug myself out of bed got to the race picked up my packet set my transition then ran into Chris. He was starting about 30 people in front of me (pool swim). I decided to swim and bike comfortably then walk/jog the run. Due to people mis seeding themselves I ended up walking half the swim, but I was fine with it. During t1 I didn't even try to go fast dried off well and sat down on my bucket. Finally got on the bike and off to a moderately hilly course. I couldn't breath very well and was blowing out snot everywhere but kept going. Back at t2 I just kicked off my bike shoes put on my running shoes and started to jog. I caught up to Chris in the first .25 mile and told him I'd run with him and let him set the pace. We jogged most of the way he wanted to walk some and I wasn't going to argue that was my plan anyway. We finished together which was pretty cool. He says I pushed him but in reality had it not been for him I would have walked most if not all the 5k. Went home and went to bed.

Way to go getting out there and supporting your friend even when you did not feel good.

2014-08-18 7:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
WOOT! 2 Ironman rockstars. Congrats David and Alan.
2014-08-18 9:12 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Adding to the congratulations for David and Alan!

Beer report from Tennessee:

• Yazoo pale ale: nicely balanced pale.
  • Hopsecutioner IPA from Terrapin: does not live up to it's name, the malt overpowers the hops.
  • "King of Hop" by Starr Hill: Very nicely balanced Imperial IPA with a good hop character but I wouldn't quite call it the king of hops, Stone's "Enjoy by" and Russian River's "Pliney the Elder" are neck and neck for that title.

Training report: Just some time on the elliptical machine in the air conditioned hotel fitness room. So far the humidity is draining me coming from the dry west coast. I may try for a run on Wednesday morning if I can get up early enough. It's so lush and green out here it would be a shame not to run the trails.

Edited by MOlsen 2014-08-18 9:27 PM
2014-08-19 6:48 AM
in reply to: Burd

User image

seeing David and Allen race gave me an idea. Would it be possible to pick a race I'm guessing olyp or half that as many as possible people could meet and race? It would be fun to enjoy a beer in person with the people who I have been sharing the ups and downs with. Could even do a relay or something. Have tops for all the members. Just an idea

Scott
2014-08-19 8:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Originally posted by b2b14

seeing David and Allen race gave me an idea. Would it be possible to pick a race I'm guessing olyp or half that as many as possible people could meet and race? It would be fun to enjoy a beer in person with the people who I have been sharing the ups and downs with. Could even do a relay or something. Have tops for all the members. Just an idea

Scott

I think that would be extremely cool. David and I ran Rev3 Quassy together and that was an absolute blast. I really can't say enough how cool a guy he is.

I'm open to suggestions, but I like Rev3 Wisconsin Dells as a strong option, for several reasons.
First, they run a half and an olympic at the same time, so it's a good option for a variety of fitness levels. It's also hilly, so it's a nice challenge too. The swim is in a water show arena, so it's great to spectate. Parking isn't an issue either.
Second, it's in Wisconsin Dells, so there are hotel options ranging from cheap to expensive, and camping, and tons of options at that.
Third, There are also tons of things to do for families, including water parks, theme parks, shows, food, and everything else.
Fourth, my wife's family has a vacation home about 15 minutes outside of the Dells, so with some planning, we can party post-race at my place. I can probably also provide lodging for a few of you, with some planning and the permission of my in-laws.
2014-08-19 8:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by b2b14 seeing David and Allen race gave me an idea. Would it be possible to pick a race I'm guessing olyp or half that as many as possible people could meet and race? It would be fun to enjoy a beer in person with the people who I have been sharing the ups and downs with. Could even do a relay or something. Have tops for all the members. Just an idea Scott

While I think this is an awesome idea, the logistics of it would be quite difficult as from all over the place. BDAAS covers the globe(spain/Norway/Canada)! Bike transportation issues, family holiday issues etc. It would be a 25+ hour drive for me to Wisconsin. Thhaaat being said, I would try to be at any function organized! I would also add we should find a triathlon that also has a sprint so we don't exclude anyone. We can all do shorter but not all can do longer races!

Along the same lines, I was thinking of the doing the Huntington Beach, CA Half Marathon in February if anyone was interested in showing up for this race. Flat and fast with beer at the finish...

2014-08-19 11:56 AM

User image

, Vermont
There is also the possibility of East Coast, Midwest, and West get-togethers. While we may not be able to get everyone together, folks from those sections and as Thor suggested - anything could go whether it's a half Mary, aquabike, sprint tri, oly, whatever. It would be great to meet face to face! I love destination races and do those for half Marys often. Transporting the bike may be tough and pricey but maybe there are many options for races in one place.
Very cool.

Oh, I am about to click the pay button for $140 for the Oly in 10 days....yikes!!!
I feel under-prepared as I haven't "trained" for this distance per se, but I rode the 25 mile course (1:38 while holding a map in my hand for 2/3 of it, then dropped it and had to turn around, go back and pick it up) and ran 5.5 (50:44) of the 10k course right after the ride yesterday. Quite a hilly course. So essentially I did almost 2/3 of the race yesterday. My quads were fatigued but I am not sore today at all - just a little tired in the legs. Today I am going to purchase a roller because the tennis ball ain't going to cut it anymore!
If it sounds like I am doing something I shouldn't, like I'm really not ready and will probably hurt myself, please speak up now. I am relying on your collective experience. I am a little nervous but pretty sure I can finish. It's recon for next year's HIM at the same venue.
2014-08-19 12:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by aviatrix802 There is also the possibility of East Coast, Midwest, and West get-togethers. While we may not be able to get everyone together, folks from those sections and as Thor suggested - anything could go whether it's a half Mary, aquabike, sprint tri, oly, whatever. It would be great to meet face to face! I love destination races and do those for half Marys often. Transporting the bike may be tough and pricey but maybe there are many options for races in one place. Very cool. Oh, I am about to click the pay button for $140 for the Oly in 10 days....yikes!!! I feel under-prepared as I haven't "trained" for this distance per se, but I rode the 25 mile course (1:38 while holding a map in my hand for 2/3 of it, then dropped it and had to turn around, go back and pick it up) and ran 5.5 (50:44) of the 10k course right after the ride yesterday. Quite a hilly course. So essentially I did almost 2/3 of the race yesterday. My quads were fatigued but I am not sore today at all - just a little tired in the legs. Today I am going to purchase a roller because the tennis ball ain't going to cut it anymore! If it sounds like I am doing something I shouldn't, like I'm really not ready and will probably hurt myself, please speak up now. I am relying on your collective experience. I am a little nervous but pretty sure I can finish. It's recon for next year's HIM at the same venue.

If you are okay with the price bite($140) than I see no reason why you cannot do this! You are fit, you have been pretty consistent with your training even though it is sprint focused. I say go for it!

2014-08-19 12:48 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by podemma

Ha - So thats what the stretch of the course looks like in the daylight

Congrats to Alan on his finish! And you guys are the best for cheering us on! Charles punches his ticket in 3 weeks so we can cheer him on too. And since he will finish a lot earlier than I did - he won't keep you up as late!
2014-08-19 12:50 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by thor67

Originally posted by SportzVision
Originally posted by rzinky I late to the party but I'd like to join the group. My name if Jeff. I'm knocking on the door of 50. My first and last sprint tri was in January 2000. I had a injury later that year and have been on the couch since then. Starting to lose some of the weight but still have a ways to go before running distance. I'm looking to run another sprint after the first of the year. Just trying to cut back on the Murphy"s and get off the couch.

Is 47 knocking at the doorway, or just looking at it from the street...

by the way did someone do a triathlon yesterday....Cynthia??

I saw on Facebook she finished first in her age group! She is such a BDAAS!
2014-08-19 12:55 PM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Expert
Originally posted by adempsey10

All done my first Ironman. I came in under 2 hours. Im so happy with my run time. With my complete lack to training because of my knee injury. I felt really strong on the run and I did not have any pain at all. I'm so happy right now. I saw David and I cheered him on but I don't think he realized it was me. He was looking really strong. 

It was awesome you fellas were watching out for us.

I cried when I crosse the finished the line. If you haven't done one, do it. It's incredible. 

David and I met up yesterday and the day before, we went for beer yesterday afternoon. It was great to connect with someone on here in person. He's such a great guy. Great attitude. I'm really proud to be a part of this group with such fine folks. Hope to meet up with other people in the future. This blog really and everyone's advice, experience and encouragement really made a big difference for me and my training. Thanks, everyone for being there every step of the way. 

Congrats Alan! I think you yelled out to me on the run course - you were on your way back to town and I was headed out to the turn around for the first time. I had no clue who had yelled and thought - "I wonder if that's Alan. No way - he sounds too fresh to be on his second lap." Way to kick butt and thanks for your support.

Alan is the second BDAAS member I've had the pleasure of racing with (Charles crushed me during our HIM this June). I've met them and their wives - great people one and all! So glad to be a member of this group!

Congrats once again Alan and good luck to Charles. Hope your week doesn't suck too bad but it's gonna be so worth it!

2014-08-19 12:59 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Congratulations Alan and Dave!!!!! You guys are awesome!!! Enjoy those beers!!! It's so great to be able to follow you!!

I had the opportunity to meet another mom from this site - different thread, and now we plan to meet up for fall ows! So great!
I hope to talk Dave into doing the Bay State half or full marathon so I can meet him!

Its a must. Let's find a race and do it together! When is Bay State? I'm thinking of signing up for Pilgramman on September 28th. Here's the link:http://www.pilgrimman.com/

Loving this comradery! Speaking of which - Alan said he would finish our logo for the bike shirts when his life gets less crazy in a few weeks. Can't wait to wear it!
2014-08-19 1:09 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by aviatrix802

There is also the possibility of East Coast, Midwest, and West get-togethers. While we may not be able to get everyone together, folks from those sections and as Thor suggested - anything could go whether it's a half Mary, aquabike, sprint tri, oly, whatever. It would be great to meet face to face! I love destination races and do those for half Marys often. Transporting the bike may be tough and pricey but maybe there are many options for races in one place.
Very cool.

Oh, I am about to click the pay button for $140 for the Oly in 10 days....yikes!!!
I feel under-prepared as I haven't "trained" for this distance per se, but I rode the 25 mile course (1:38 while holding a map in my hand for 2/3 of it, then dropped it and had to turn around, go back and pick it up) and ran 5.5 (50:44) of the 10k course right after the ride yesterday. Quite a hilly course. So essentially I did almost 2/3 of the race yesterday. My quads were fatigued but I am not sore today at all - just a little tired in the legs. Today I am going to purchase a roller because the tennis ball ain't going to cut it anymore!
If it sounds like I am doing something I shouldn't, like I'm really not ready and will probably hurt myself, please speak up now. I am relying on your collective experience. I am a little nervous but pretty sure I can finish. It's recon for next year's HIM at the same venue.

First and foremost - congrats on clicking the button Jenn! I agree with my Molson drinking friend and second his encouragement. You are going to do awesome in that OLY. When you cross that finish line, you will experience that sense of joy that comes from pushing yourself past your self perceived limits. That's whats cool about our sport - it shows us our true potential no matter if we are doing our first sprint, or are trying an OLY for the first time, or are fist pumping with Mike Reilly (OK - I totally name dropped their but it was SO COOL!!!) when you cross the finish line of an IM. Good luck!

2014-08-19 1:57 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

, Vermont
Dave! It's great to see you on here!! Congratulations and mug clinks!!

So the Bay State is Sunday, October 19th right in MA! I haven't signed up yet as it may conflict with kids' football/soccer tournament schedules so I'm waiting to see those before I commit.
There is also a Duathlon in Glens Falls, NY on October 12th - 5k run, 30k bike, 5k run put on by the Glens Falls Lions Club to support their missions of sight, hearing, diabetes, youth and community. That website is www.greenleafracing.com
2014-08-19 3:40 PM

User image

Im in for any distance we decide, but agree that a shorter race would allow for more to participate. I assume not everyone could go but for those that could it would be a fun trip. I would be in for CA but my wife and I are running the star wars HM at Disneyland in Jan so a second trip to CA would be way to soon for us. I'm planning on beach to battle full next year in Wilmington NC (oct) but other then that I'm open.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 50209 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19329 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.