BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2014-08-19 5:22 PM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open
I'm definitely up for a meet-up and would do some travel...but yes, it needs to include a sprint. I've definitely decided that for the time being I am not going to look at any longer distance races. I'm very much in awe and appreciation of those of you that go for it, but I'm pretty happy with training at this level for now.

Congrats to our IronMen! :-)

Sandi

2014-08-20 8:51 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Well in my quest to improve my run, I have taken the approach of run often. 3-4 miles. 4 in a row as of today. Actually felt pretty good. Hopefully will be sitting at 5 tomorrow. Weather is lousy here this week so biking on hold. Supposed to drop down to 3 celcius(37F) Friday night WTH, it is still August! 

2014-08-20 12:52 PM
in reply to: thor67

User image

New user
Auburn, AL

Just a random though I had this morning.  It amazes me how much progress I have made over the last year and a half.  Last night I did 3000 Yd in the pool.  6 x 500.  A year and a half ago I could barley swim one length, 8 months ago I could not do 400 yards, now I feel like I could swim forever.  If you had told me back then I would not blink at a 3000 yard workout I would have said you were crazy.

I'm still slow and fat, but in 1000% better shape!

2014-08-20 2:00 PM
in reply to: podemma

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Originally posted by podemma

Just a random though I had this morning.  It amazes me how much progress I have made over the last year and a half.  Last night I did 3000 Yd in the pool.  6 x 500.  A year and a half ago I could barley swim one length, 8 months ago I could not do 400 yards, now I feel like I could swim forever.  If you had told me back then I would not blink at a 3000 yard workout I would have said you were crazy.

Nice!
2014-08-20 2:06 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Originally posted by thor67

Originally posted by b2b14 seeing David and Allen race gave me an idea. Would it be possible to pick a race I'm guessing olyp or half that as many as possible people could meet and race? It would be fun to enjoy a beer in person with the people who I have been sharing the ups and downs with. Could even do a relay or something. Have tops for all the members. Just an idea Scott

While I think this is an awesome idea, the logistics of it would be quite difficult as from all over the place. BDAAS covers the globe(spain/Norway/Canada)! Bike transportation issues, family holiday issues etc. It would be a 25+ hour drive for me to Wisconsin. Thhaaat being said, I would try to be at any function organized! I would also add we should find a triathlon that also has a sprint so we don't exclude anyone. We can all do shorter but not all can do longer races!

Along the same lines, I was thinking of the doing the Huntington Beach, CA Half Marathon in February if anyone was interested in showing up for this race. Flat and fast with beer at the finish...

Spent much of my youth hang in' out at HB. Would love to do the Surf City there. Maybe, just maybe I can make a go of it if I start planning now; and by planning I mean saving up and training...Feb 2015 right? Whew that is just around the corner!
2014-08-20 2:34 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Originally posted by b2b14

Im in for any distance we decide, but agree that a shorter race would allow for more to participate. I assume not everyone could go but for those that could it would be a fun trip. I would be in for CA but my wife and I are running the star wars HM at Disneyland in Jan so a second trip to CA would be way to soon for us. I'm planning on beach to battle full next year in Wilmington NC (oct) but other then that I'm open.

This sounds like a great idea...maybe if enough of us meet up we can rent a condo for the weekend and chip in for cost. These past few years I have pitched a tent at my races for cost effectiveness which could be an option too but some may rather not like this as an option.

http://hitstriathlonseries.com
Hitts has two day races all over the country. I usually do the Napa race in April but there are some in Colorado, Wisconsin...but it does have all distances over two days; usually half and full on Sat and a short open, sprint and oly on Sunday. Maybe an option.

2014-08-20 2:46 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Originally posted by Qua17

Originally posted by SportzVision
Originally posted by rzinky I late to the party but I'd like to join the group. My name if Jeff. I'm knocking on the door of 50. My first and last sprint tri was in January 2000. I had a injury later that year and have been on the couch since then. Starting to lose some of the weight but still have a ways to go before running distance. I'm looking to run another sprint after the first of the year. Just trying to cut back on the Murphy"s and get off the couch.
Do I hear someone knocking? I am at the 50 doorway too! Welcome to the half century mark and to BDAAS

Is 47 knocking at the doorway, or just looking at it from the street...

by the way did someone do a triathlon yesterday....Cynthia??

I saw on Facebook she finished first in her age group! She is such a BDAAS!

I did...i felt good during the race and after. Thanks for the shout out!
2014-08-20 2:48 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

Originally posted by SportzVision
Originally posted by rzinky I late to the party but I'd like to join the group. My name if Jeff. I'm knocking on the door of 50. My first and last sprint tri was in January 2000. I had a injury later that year and have been on the couch since then. Starting to lose some of the weight but still have a ways to go before running distance. I'm looking to run another sprint after the first of the year. Just trying to cut back on the Murphy"s and get off the couch.
Do I hear someone knocking? I am at the 50 doorway too! Welcome to the half century mark and to BDAAS

Is 47 knocking at the doorway, or just looking at it from the street...

by the way did someone do a triathlon yesterday....Cynthia??

47 is NOT knocking, 47 is down the street a bit!
2014-08-20 6:38 PM
in reply to: #4996400

User image

New user
Madrid
How about two options about racing together? 1) let's put on the cloud a calendar, each of us writes the races intended to do and find a good one for most, or 2) let's find a DATE in which most of us will race same day but different locations (all wearing same tops, of course). I am planning to do a half in 2015 in Florida most likely, but still open to any good race. Love this idea of getting together!!
2014-08-20 6:44 PM
in reply to: #5041783

User image

New user
Madrid
Great! Don't want to sound too cheesy (I'm not an expert here...) but this confirm that head and brain wins muscles in triathlon. Waytogo!!
2014-08-20 9:03 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Originally posted by b2b14

Im in for any distance we decide, but agree that a shorter race would allow for more to participate. I assume not everyone could go but for those that could it would be a fun trip. I would be in for CA but my wife and I are running the star wars HM at Disneyland in Jan so a second trip to CA would be way to soon for us. I'm planning on beach to battle full next year in Wilmington NC (oct) but other then that I'm open.

I'm running the full Rebel Challenge+ (5k, 10k, HM) in Jan, as dates get closer we should try to coordinate a meet up over the race weekend.

I went for a run today on a beautiful lush tree lined trail along a creek as a thunderstorm loomed on the horizon. The Tennessee humidity was somewhat bearable however I probably won't get used to it before returning to nice dry and mild CA. Tonight's beer is "unearthly" imperial IPA from Southern Tier, the malt overpowers the hops at first but as I work my way through the bottle it's complexity is opening up.

Edited by MOlsen 2014-08-20 9:03 PM

2014-08-21 10:38 AM
in reply to: podemma

User image

New user
Calgary, Alberta
Originally posted by podemma

Awesome! I know how you feel. Not in the pool but with running. A year ago running for 2 min and I would sound like a asthmatic smoker! Now I can run for 30 min. Like you I am still slow and fat but it is all going in the right direction.
2014-08-21 10:46 AM

User image

New user
Calgary, Alberta
Three thoughts:

1) Sorry I have been out of touch so much recently. Still Training Been busy with a new job, vacation, and kids but still on track for my first sprint Tri on Sep 13 (completed my first Tri-a-tri in May and it went well).

2) Bike Jerseys sound awesome!

3) A meet up race sounds great but travel really isn't in the cards for me next year. Vacation and travel plans are all spoken for next year. Keep me in the loop however because if the race is within driving distance on a weekend from Calgary, AB it may be possible but don't plan around me because I can't commit at this time. Doing a race the same day locally and posting pictures is totally possible however.

P.S. Awesome job on all your races! I haven't had time to reply but I am at least up to date with reading all the posts!

Edited by Jeakins 2014-08-21 10:47 AM
2014-08-21 11:38 AM
in reply to: Jeakins

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by Jeakins Three thoughts: 1) Sorry I have been out of touch so much recently. Still Training Been busy with a new job, vacation, and kids but still on track for my first sprint Tri on Sep 13 (completed my first Tri-a-tri in May and it went well). 2) Bike Jerseys sound awesome! 3) A meet up race sounds great but travel really isn't in the cards for me next year. Vacation and travel plans are all spoken for next year. Keep me in the loop however because if the race is within driving distance on a weekend from Calgary, AB it may be possible but don't plan around me because I can't commit at this time. Doing a race the same day locally and posting pictures is totally possible however. P.S. Awesome job on all your races! I haven't had time to reply but I am at least up to date with reading all the posts!

It is Banff you are doing correct? Here is hoping for a warm sunny day! Do you have a wetsuit for it?

Good luck!

2014-08-21 5:53 PM

User image

Well I finally got around to uploading my Ironman metrics and I discovered that because I'm horrible at swimming in a straight line I actually swam 4500m instead of  3800m. I must do another Ironman now.. 

2014-08-21 7:19 PM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Decisions, decisions...

I think I'm entering another sprint this weekend...impulse/last minute...

One has a regular 13 mile bike course but there is a great trail run through a park for the 5K.
The other has a deep water start, a 16.4 mile bike course (and I've only gone about 15 miles thus far in any ride this season), and a boring 5K on pavement. Buuut, a pancake breakfast and a free bike raffle afterwards.

Decisions, decisions.

And BTW, that Napa race looks awesome.

2014-08-22 2:33 AM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
As mentioned previously, i decidely started dialing in on my nutrition, specifically my protein. I found some great websites that have aided in jump starting my nutrition plan and thought I would share.

The first site helped me to define my goals, If It Fits Your Macros (IIFYM) has a calculator to determine how many grams of Protein, Carbs and fats you need to maintain your weight, lose weight or gain weight. http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/.This site seems goofy to me but the premise is old school basic, eat a flexible diet, but track your macronutrients, more calories out than come in. You must track everything you eat.

To track everything I eat I use MyFitnessPal, http://www.myfitnesspal.com. There are two great features that I like on this site, one it syncs to my Runtastic and tracks my running and two I can customize my goals. So that list of macros from IIFYM are now my nutrition goals in MyFitnessPal. I entered how many calories i want to eat a day and how many should come from protein, carbs and fats. At a glance I can see a pie chart of my progress or in detail my goals are listed and I can see how many grams I have eaten and how many I have left for micro and macro nutrients. In the last five days I have only hit my macro goals perfectly once...its a work in progress.

My last nutrition site is my new fav! This site takes my nutrition goals and I hit the generate button and BAM it gives me a menu to for the day. You can set up your free daily menu to have up to six meals a day, it can follow a certain type of diet, i.e. pale, mediterranean, clean etc. and you can customize the meals to exclude certain foods.. The site is called, Eat This Much, http://www.eatthismuch.com. This site is also free but if you pay you can receive a weekly menu with a grocery list.

So there's my plan, I have lost 3 pounds in my first week. I had a lot of fish, chicken and some pork but especially, white gold...eggs and cottage cheese! I also had ice cream, chips and salsa and wine. Hmmm the wine night I may have gone over my calories but for me this crazy little plan is working.

I have managed to eat a lot more protein and lose a little weight which is what I want. With only a couple of 5Ks in line and my race season over I figured this was the time to slowly get race lean for next season. I am actually kinda excited about this and hopefully someone might like this info too. it took a bit of time setting it all up but it was worth the effort.

Oh...I have a job interview next week. Not a better job just closer to home, a 20 minute bike ride instead of a 90 minute drive...one way!

Edited by SportzVision 2014-08-22 2:34 AM
2014-08-22 7:41 AM
in reply to: sandishr

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by sandishr Decisions, decisions... I think I'm entering another sprint this weekend...impulse/last minute... One has a regular 13 mile bike course but there is a great trail run through a park for the 5K. The other has a deep water start, a 16.4 mile bike course (and I've only gone about 15 miles thus far in any ride this season), and a boring 5K on pavement. Buuut, a pancake breakfast and a free bike raffle afterwards. Decisions, decisions. And BTW, that Napa race looks awesome.

Go for it! Don't let the bike length throw you off, you can do either one!

2014-08-22 7:42 AM
in reply to: SportzVision

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by SportzVision As mentioned previously, i decidely started dialing in on my nutrition, specifically my protein. I found some great websites that have aided in jump starting my nutrition plan and thought I would share. The first site helped me to define my goals, If It Fits Your Macros (IIFYM) has a calculator to determine how many grams of Protein, Carbs and fats you need to maintain your weight, lose weight or gain weight. http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/.This site seems goofy to me but the premise is old school basic, eat a flexible diet, but track your macronutrients, more calories out than come in. You must track everything you eat. To track everything I eat I use MyFitnessPal, http://www.myfitnesspal.com. There are two great features that I like on this site, one it syncs to my Runtastic and tracks my running and two I can customize my goals. So that list of macros from IIFYM are now my nutrition goals in MyFitnessPal. I entered how many calories i want to eat a day and how many should come from protein, carbs and fats. At a glance I can see a pie chart of my progress or in detail my goals are listed and I can see how many grams I have eaten and how many I have left for micro and macro nutrients. In the last five days I have only hit my macro goals perfectly once...its a work in progress. My last nutrition site is my new fav! This site takes my nutrition goals and I hit the generate button and BAM it gives me a menu to for the day. You can set up your free daily menu to have up to six meals a day, it can follow a certain type of diet, i.e. pale, mediterranean, clean etc. and you can customize the meals to exclude certain foods.. The site is called, Eat This Much, http://www.eatthismuch.com. This site is also free but if you pay you can receive a weekly menu with a grocery list. So there's my plan, I have lost 3 pounds in my first week. I had a lot of fish, chicken and some pork but especially, white gold...eggs and cottage cheese! I also had ice cream, chips and salsa and wine. Hmmm the wine night I may have gone over my calories but for me this crazy little plan is working. I have managed to eat a lot more protein and lose a little weight which is what I want. With only a couple of 5Ks in line and my race season over I figured this was the time to slowly get race lean for next season. I am actually kinda excited about this and hopefully someone might like this info too. it took a bit of time setting it all up but it was worth the effort. Oh...I have a job interview next week. Not a better job just closer to home, a 20 minute bike ride instead of a 90 minute drive...one way!

Great job Cynthia! I too am pretty much finished my season and looking to get leaner for next year! I use livestrong to track my calories etc.

2014-08-22 8:30 AM

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by sandishr Decisions, decisions... I think I'm entering another sprint this weekend...impulse/last minute... One has a regular 13 mile bike course but there is a great trail run through a park for the 5K. The other has a deep water start, a 16.4 mile bike course (and I've only gone about 15 miles thus far in any ride this season), and a boring 5K on pavement. Buuut, a pancake breakfast and a free bike raffle afterwards. Decisions, decisions. And BTW, that Napa race looks awesome.
Go for it! Don't let the bike length throw you off, you can do either one!

Go for it, Sandi! You can do it!! Do the longer ride and the nice run....though a bike raffle would be tempting.....LOL
Good luck!!!
2014-08-22 10:14 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

The longer ride has the crappy run and the deep water swim start. All in all it will be a less enjoyable sprint but I will be pushing myself which is the goal. With that said, online registration ended so I'll have to go do it in person on Saturday. I'll let you know how it goes!

Sandi

2014-08-22 1:51 PM

User image

, Vermont
I just got back from my pro bike fitting! New "chick" handlebars (narrower), new seat, seat is raised up an inch!! Adjusted the cleats on my shoes - sooooo much better. Power!! I cannot wait to get out and ride!!! It's like having a new bike all over again!!! Even the guy doing the fitting was acting like a kid in a candy store with how much more performance he believes I'll have!

Hold on, the 7 year old wants to discuss Nerf guns. Back soon. So excited. I feel like a little kid.
Jenn

Edited by aviatrix802 2014-08-22 1:52 PM
2014-08-23 4:39 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

Originally posted by SportzVision As mentioned previously, i decidely started dialing in on my nutrition, specifically my protein. I found some great websites that have aided in jump starting my nutrition plan and thought I would share. The first site helped me to define my goals, If It Fits Your Macros (IIFYM) has a calculator to determine how many grams of Protein, Carbs and fats you need to maintain your weight, lose weight or gain weight. http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/.This site seems goofy to me but the premise is old school basic, eat a flexible diet, but track your macronutrients, more calories out than come in. You must track everything you eat. To track everything I eat I use MyFitnessPal, http://www.myfitnesspal.com. There are two great features that I like on this site, one it syncs to my Runtastic and tracks my running and two I can customize my goals. So that list of macros from IIFYM are now my nutrition goals in MyFitnessPal. I entered how many calories i want to eat a day and how many should come from protein, carbs and fats. At a glance I can see a pie chart of my progress or in detail my goals are listed and I can see how many grams I have eaten and how many I have left for micro and macro nutrients. In the last five days I have only hit my macro goals perfectly once...its a work in progress. My last nutrition site is my new fav! This site takes my nutrition goals and I hit the generate button and BAM it gives me a menu to for the day. You can set up your free daily menu to have up to six meals a day, it can follow a certain type of diet, i.e. pale, mediterranean, clean etc. and you can customize the meals to exclude certain foods.. The site is called, Eat This Much, http://www.eatthismuch.com. This site is also free but if you pay you can receive a weekly menu with a grocery list. So there's my plan, I have lost 3 pounds in my first week. I had a lot of fish, chicken and some pork but especially, white gold...eggs and cottage cheese! I also had ice cream, chips and salsa and wine. Hmmm the wine night I may have gone over my calories but for me this crazy little plan is working. I have managed to eat a lot more protein and lose a little weight which is what I want. With only a couple of 5Ks in line and my race season over I figured this was the time to slowly get race lean for next season. I am actually kinda excited about this and hopefully someone might like this info too. it took a bit of time setting it all up but it was worth the effort. Oh...I have a job interview next week. Not a better job just closer to home, a 20 minute bike ride instead of a 90 minute drive...one way!

Great job Cynthia! I too am pretty much finished my season and looking to get leaner for next year! I use livestrong to track my calories etc.

Fantastic! I started that way and was pretty hit and miss...makes a world of difference in my decision making. If I have to log the food I may not eat as much. But defining exactly what I need to eat was a mission component and I think I will see better results. Here's hoping so!
2014-08-23 6:02 PM
in reply to: SportzVision

User image

, Vermont
My bike continues to hang in the garage on this absolutely perfect day to ride. Up at o'dark to get child #2 to a football jamboree for two games while husband and child #1 are off camping, then after football, straight to a beach birthday party where we stayed for 6 1/2 hours......I am whipped and have an overtired 7 year old...."I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride my bike..."
"There's always tomorrow for dreams to come true....."

Yeah, I'm getting a little punchy. LOL Race is one week from today and I really wanted to get a workout in... Frustration..
Cheers all!
2014-08-23 9:32 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Veteran
Illinois
There's a dark side to IM training, and I'm in the thick of it. Just 15 days to the dance, and I hate everybody and everything right now. I hate my bike, I hate my coach, I hate triathlon . . .Ran 12 miles this morning in 85 degree heat at 85% humidity. 70oz of fluid in two hours, plus enough salt to attract every deer within 10 miles, all at a pace I consider abysmal.

In retrospect, I should have waited another season to tackle a full. Then again, I would not have taken the advice from myself a year ago, so it is what it is. I bounced back from my two HIM races in 7 or 10 days, but the constant fatigue and soreness as I roll into the start of the taper is just grinding aggravation. all for a 14 to 15 hour finish. I know that's nothing to scoff at, but I can't help wanting more, and I don't have the base fitness to back it up.

I hope I don't come across as whiny, even though that's what I am. Just a note of caution for those considering a full-distance race - I'm not pleasant to be around right now, and I know it, and everyone else knows it, and it's taking a lot of consideration and love and support from my family.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 50408 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19412 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.