BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2014-08-27 4:57 AM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

New user
Madrid
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open
Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

Honestly, the jump from olympic to half wasn't bad - it's probably 60% mental and planning, 40% fitness base.

Will remember this, thanks!

2014-08-27 4:58 AM
in reply to: podemma

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by podemma

When running I listen to a book on tape.  It does a good job of keeping me distracted.  When riding, swimming, or during races I just let my mind wander.  I find doing complex math problems, like what lap am I on 35 or 36, helps when swimming in the pool. 

2014-08-27 5:02 AM
in reply to: sandishr

User image

New user
Madrid
Thanks very much Sandi, Scott, Charles - may be imagining the reward after a training session and mentally reviewing the different beer-options migh help as well!

Originally posted by sandishr

I listen to music when I run and when I'm doing something tough running I sing. LOL. Yeah, I'm the crazy lady at the park hooting along with the ipod when running up a steep hill. I think that's been the hardest part of actual race day, is not having that option during the run. I'd be WAY faster if I had music I could huff through.

Biking I mostly let my mind wander but lately I've been trying to do lots of ladder training so am doing a lot of focus on my breathing too. This is way easier on a bike than running for some reason....don't know why. And swimming I really find myself thinking during...in fact I often lose track of where I'm at in the pool lapwise just because I'm lost in thought. When I've been doing the OWS sessions I actually spend the entire time counting. Lately I have been counting ten strokes and sighting. I found that one thing which helped abate the panic during the races I've been in was to remind myself to just focus on counting in increments of ten. It really focuses me on the task at hand which I think is much more critical (the focus part) during the swim portion of the race than anything else.

I honestly think I'd have a hard time with the races if I was as dependent upon music during the bike as I am during the run. (or rather bike training in addition to run training).

Sandi
2014-08-27 8:38 AM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

New user
Calgary, Alberta
Thor - The Sprint is in Innisfail.

On thoughts during training
Training for me is a time for stress release and to totally clear my mind. I take in the environment when running or biking and when swimming I try to focus on technique but often my mind wanders (except during intervals then i all am thinking about is my next breath!). During winter training when I am forced inside to a bike trainer or a treadmill I tend to watch t.v. and i don't find it as relaxing and more difficult to get in a hard workout.

Winter Training Changes:
For those in the north what types of changes do you make to your training during the winter? As I am sure Thor would agree in Alberta there are days where it either isn't safe or just plain unpleasant to go outside and train. I am looking into some Spinervals videos and some cross training with the Insanity videos. Thoughts?
2014-08-27 8:48 AM
in reply to: Jeakins

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by Jeakins Thor - The Sprint is in Innisfail. On thoughts during training Training for me is a time for stress release and to totally clear my mind. I take in the environment when running or biking and when swimming I try to focus on technique but often my mind wanders (except during intervals then i all am thinking about is my next breath!). During winter training when I am forced inside to a bike trainer or a treadmill I tend to watch t.v. and i don't find it as relaxing and more difficult to get in a hard workout. Winter Training Changes: For those in the north what types of changes do you make to your training during the winter? As I am sure Thor would agree in Alberta there are days where it either isn't safe or just plain unpleasant to go outside and train. I am looking into some Spinervals videos and some cross training with the Insanity videos. Thoughts?

You can try these on your cycle trainer....http://www.thesufferfest.com/

Also sign up for some spin classes just to break up the boredom of a lonely ride on the trainer.

For me:

• Signing up for a "yoga for the inflexible" class.
  • of course the cycle trainer(also organizing some group cycle trainer rides at gym)
  • running at lunch time when possible
  • swim once/week...hopefully
  • rowing machine
  • spin classes/fitness classes
  • hope to add some weights this fall.

2014-08-27 9:03 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by Jeakins  Winter Training Changes: For those in the north what types of changes do you make to your training during the winter? As I am sure Thor would agree in Alberta there are days where it either isn't safe or just plain unpleasant to go outside and train. I am looking into some Spinervals videos and some cross training with the Insanity videos. Thoughts?

I'll bike and run outside as long as it remains snow-free. From there I move the bike to the turbo-trainer. I don't run on treadmills because I don't really see it as running, more like rhythmic bouncing. We have an indoor track at school that I use. I also use the winter to do strength training, mostly core, butt, legs and back. I do lane swimming a lot in winter, although I hate it. As soon as its warm enough to swim open-water with a wetsuit I'm in the creek or lake or whatever. I also cross train with cross-country skiing. My wife and I do a buttload of snowshoeing in the winter. I also do spin classes twice a week. It's a nice break from the turbo trainer and its more motivating to work hard when someone is constantly yelling at you to pedal harder. 

As far as being bored on the turbo trainer, I have all the TDFs from Lance's seven year run on my laptop. The doping aside, watching him rocket past Jan Ullrich or Marco Pantani in the mountains always fires me up. My HR is topping out by the time he reaches the summit of the Tourmalet and I don't even realize it. 

As for what I think about, I don't think about much else than the activity. I find that while swimming I'm constantly thinking about my form and trying to take stock of how I'm positioned in the water. I do this for biking and running too but to a lesser extent. I don't really need to think about anything else while on the bike, I can't say I've ever been bored while riding, even the turbo trainer I don't find that boring, although I do find watching something is fun. While running I pay attention to form and try to convince myself that running is worth it. I hate running. 

During a race I've never needed to think about anything but my finish time to keep me motivated. 

Edited by adempsey10 2014-08-27 9:05 AM

2014-08-27 11:33 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

This is what I need to find(see below)....funny thing, when I was in Austin in the spring we went to this brewery on a Friday night. They have a pile of picnic tables setup, music, food truck and for $10 you get a beer glass and 3 tokens for beers...Wish they did that here.(Canada)

Austin Beerworks is now selling 99-packs of its Peacemaker Anytime Ale for a scant $99.99.

You read that right. The case holds 99 12-ounce cans, or 1,188 ounces of beer — equivalent to a wall keg, which is more than a pony keg but less than import kegs or full kegs, according to Wikipedia. The brewery operates out of a nondescript warehouse in an industrial park off of West Anderson Lane, have been so far unsuccessful.

In order to contain all that heft, Austin Beerworks stores the cans in a massive seven-foot-long cardboard case that takes at least two people to carry safely and cannot, at least judging by the promotional video the company produced, be easily transported in your standard sedan.

Austin Beerworks' Twitter feed proclaims the product launch a joke — but a real one. This product exists, and Austinites can soon buy it at select stores, though the brewery hasn't yet divulged which ones. The company will be sharing the locations on its various social media outlets.

It's enough to get you to sing a slightly modified version of a popular drinking song: "99 cans of beers in a box. 99 cans of beer. Take one out. Pass it about. 98 cans of beers in a box."

Follow this link for an in-depth interview with Austin Beerworks officials about why they came up with the 99-pack promotion.

2014-08-27 11:43 AM

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by thor67

This is what I need to find(see below)....funny thing, when I was in Austin in the spring we went to this brewery on a Friday night. They have a pile of picnic tables setup, music, food truck and for $10 you get a beer glass and 3 tokens for beers...Wish they did that here.(Canada)

Austin Beerworks is now selling 99-packs of its Peacemaker Anytime Ale for a scant $99.99.

You read that right. The case holds 99 12-ounce cans, or 1,188 ounces of beer — equivalent to a wall keg, which is more than a pony keg but less than import kegs or full kegs, according to Wikipedia. The brewery operates out of a nondescript warehouse in an industrial park off of West Anderson Lane, have been so far unsuccessful.

In order to contain all that heft, Austin Beerworks stores the cans in a massive seven-foot-long cardboard case that takes at least two people to carry safely and cannot, at least judging by the promotional video the company produced, be easily transported in your standard sedan.

Austin Beerworks' Twitter feed proclaims the product launch a joke — but a real one. This product exists, and Austinites can soon buy it at select stores, though the brewery hasn't yet divulged which ones. The company will be sharing the locations on its various social media outlets.

It's enough to get you to sing a slightly modified version of a popular drinking song: "99 cans of beers in a box. 99 cans of beer. Take one out. Pass it about. 98 cans of beers in a box."

Follow this link for an in-depth interview with Austin Beerworks officials about why they came up with the 99-pack promotion.

And that, my friends, is the real reason all those Texans have pick-up trucks.

Edited by aviatrix802 2014-08-27 11:44 AM
2014-08-27 11:46 AM

User image

, Vermont
26.3 miles on the bike - nice rollers. Last ride before the race Saturday and only the 2nd with the new bike fit. So far, so good! I still think I need a slightly shorter stem but I'll deal with that after the race.

I definitely still need to work on nutrition. I dropped a few more pounds over the summer than I had planned so am looking into some different protein supplements. I also need to tweak what I eat on the ride. Different flavors make me feel blah. It's been an interesting experiment this summer, that's for sure. Good learning for next year's HIM when it will really come into play.

What do I think about when I ride? Not hitting the next pothole or rocks! -Welcome to Vermont. Also today's thoughts were about the farmers and the fact that today is "spreadin' day." Ah, sweet essence. I also focus a lot on maintaining cadence as it's always rolling hills here - very few flats and what you get doesn't last long. I'm always anticipating that next gear change. For running - music and for swimming - form and trying to keep track of laps. I can't wait to get the Garmin 910xt in the fall when it goes on sale so it can keep track for me.

Winter training: the plan is for weights and a focus on core work; lots of downhill skiing , running on a treadmill if I can't get outside - I always run on at least 1% grade so it's not pulling me along and elevate it periodically; spinning class probably 2x week, and a friend instructs a "yoga for runners" class which is wonderful. Oh, and swimming hopefully 2x a week - I really want to work on upper body/arm strength and practice balance drills. I am toying with joining the master's swim program here so I have someone barking at me - that's always good. It's already included in my gym membership so why not.

Getting nervous for the race in 3 days that I never planned on doing. I keep saying it's for recon, but let's face it, we're all competitive and the last time I was there the waves in the lake were almost white caps. The plan is to just keep plugging away! There will be lots of beer for the holiday weekend as soon as I arrive at camp after the race.
Cheers!

Edited by aviatrix802 2014-08-27 12:05 PM
2014-08-27 8:39 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Expert
Hi BDAAS! I just wanted to write a quick note before going to bed. I haven't fallen off the face of the earth - just settling into a new job and trying to get the kids ready for school. I've also been working on my race report which is taking forever... it's starting to make War and Peace look like Cat in the Hat.

I promise to check in before the weekend. Good luck to anyone who is racing.

Prost!
2014-08-29 8:55 PM
in reply to: #4996400

User image

, Vermont
Bib #485, bike is already racked on site, gear packed, breakfast on the counter.
Now to try and sleep for 6.5 hours.
Cheers all!

2014-08-30 8:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by aviatrix802 Bib #485, bike is already racked on site, gear packed, breakfast on the counter. Now to try and sleep for 6.5 hours. Cheers all!

You will crush it Jennifer!! have fun!

2014-08-30 8:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Well off for another donut ride! 10miles out to a small town bakery for a warm donut, 10 back! Going with a group of 8 or so! Currently a chilly 44F. Time for a long sleeve shirt!

Edited by thor67 2014-08-30 8:49 AM
2014-08-30 1:43 PM
in reply to: #4996400

User image

, Vermont
Okay, Oly is done.
I finished in 2:58 but they won't have the breakdown probably until tomorrow. The run was brutal.
Going off grid until Monday - camp and beer.
Cheers all!
2014-08-30 2:24 PM

User image

congrats!!
2014-08-31 5:09 AM

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Okay, Oly is done.
I finished in 2:58 but they won't have the breakdown probably until tomorrow. The run was brutal.
Cheers all!

Well done, under 3h! Congratulations Jennifer!

2014-08-31 4:17 PM

User image

Expert

Okay, Oly is done.
Cheers all!

Congrats Jenn! So happy for you! Rest up and enjoy that beer! It's well earned!
2014-08-31 4:18 PM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Expert
Originally posted by thor67

Well off for another donut ride! 10miles out to a small town bakery for a warm donut, 10 back! Going with a group of 8 or so! Currently a chilly 44F. Time for a long sleeve shirt!

That is awesome! How many did you have?
2014-08-31 4:25 PM

User image

Expert
Hi All - I hope you have been well and enjoying the hell out of the last few weeks of the summer!

After a two week hiatus - I'm happy to be back. I woke up yesterday morning actually wanting to go for a bike ride. And when I went, I thoroughly enjoyed myself - which is something that I didn't do or about the last two months of my training. Then today, I put in 6.2 miles and a quick sub 12.

I've got a big race coming up 16 weeks from today so it's time to get cracking. I'm going to run a 50K to raise awareness and thank all the people at my son's hospital for all they did since his accident 10 years ago. It means a lot to me.

Have a great rest of the weekend! It's my goal to put up my race report sometime before Monday night... It's taking me forever!
DQ
2014-09-01 8:19 AM

User image

Expert
Happy Labor Day!

Here is my race report from Mont Tremblant. It took me forever to complete it. Now that I think back on it, one of the reasons why it took so long is because I knew when I finished it, the race journey would be over. It was an amazing experience, I would even go as far as to say lifechanging - and if you've ever considered doing one, I would encourage you to do so. I've never done anything that pushed me so hard and the self confidence it gave me was invaluable.

http://beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-view-container.asp?race...

Let's all support Charles as Ironman Wisconsin is coming up on Sunday! Having "raced" with him (he is so much faster than me) I know he's going to crush it!

Finally - what should our challenge be this month? Anyone have any suggestions? I'd be interested in doing something that involved eating better (I'm probably the only person who gained weight during the final month of training for an Ironman With a lot of running coming up - I've got to shed a few pounds with the hope of avoiding injury.
2014-09-02 8:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Well one challenge, that I am already involved in is a rowing challenge through Concept2 rowing machines. It goes Sept. 15-Oct. 15.

I started a  Livestrong team already if anyone wants to join. I used livestrong to lose about 100lbs. Check your gym for a rower which tracks distance and time, sign up for free logbook at:

http://log.concept2.com/log.asp

Join the team and sign up for the Fall Team Challenge (FTC)

Rowing is an awesome workout!

Lastly, I cannot get on to your race report David.

Originally posted by Qua17 Happy Labor Day! Here is my race report from Mont Tremblant. It took me forever to complete it. Now that I think back on it, one of the reasons why it took so long is because I knew when I finished it, the race journey would be over. It was an amazing experience, I would even go as far as to say lifechanging - and if you've ever considered doing one, I would encourage you to do so. I've never done anything that pushed me so hard and the self confidence it gave me was invaluable. http://beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-view-container.asp?race... Let's all support Charles as Ironman Wisconsin is coming up on Sunday! Having "raced" with him (he is so much faster than me) I know he's going to crush it! Finally - what should our challenge be this month? Anyone have any suggestions? I'd be interested in doing something that involved eating better (I'm probably the only person who gained weight during the final month of training for an Ironman With a lot of running coming up - I've got to shed a few pounds with the hope of avoiding injury.

2014-09-02 12:54 PM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Back to the "real" world after a whirlwind super long (5 day!) weekend. On Friday I participated in the Disney 5k fun run through Disneyland. My wife completed her first official 5k at a brisk walk, which was a big accomplishment for her as she works her way "off the couch".

Now that it's September my first Oly is in view, only 3 weeks to go!

2014-09-02 6:00 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Okay, Oly is done. I finished in 2:58 but they won't have the breakdown probably until tomorrow. The run was brutal. Going off grid until Monday - camp and beer. Cheers all!

Congrats on the sub 3 hour Oly!

2014-09-02 8:19 PM

User image

, Vermont
Okay, my race report is below. Dave, I couldn't open your race link for some reason.

All in all I am satisfied with the race in that I figured it would take me 3 hours based on my training (or lack thereof haha) and I pretty much guessed right. I was not happy with my swim start but midway and end of the swim I was happy with. The bike was fun and the hills for last 5 - 8 or so miles were killers and I am very happy I rode this course prior to the race and knew they were coming. T2 went well and my feeling is I can do it faster. My run I'd like to work on. I could have easily knocked quite a few minutes off it if I had I prepared the run better - but then again, with not having planned on these distances this year and the hilly course with last minute changes, I'll take it. The best part was the fact that I felt pretty good after and no major aches or pains. My rest for the calf on the run was probably needed and I avoided a major cramp/pull so I can't regret it.
Post-race beer was a growler of Conehead IPA (followed by some Trapp Lager!).

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Edited by aviatrix802 2014-09-02 8:22 PM

(lake george oly tri 2014 3.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
lake george oly tri 2014 3.jpg (111KB - 3 downloads)
2014-09-02 8:22 PM

User image

, Vermont
Ooops, I may have given the link for the raw data; here's the link for the final report.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

I just edited the previous post so disregard this one.

Edited by aviatrix802 2014-09-02 8:23 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 50219 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19332 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.