BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2014-09-08 10:49 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open

Here is a direct link to Dave's IMMT report:

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=523371

Over the weekend I didn't do any racing but still managed a 22 mile ride and an 11 mile run. There was a 5k/10k event on Sunday along my run route so I took advantage of the closed streets before the event started. Was fun to run down an empty downtown .

2014-09-08 4:53 PM

User image

Expert
The threat of a warm Coors light got me going this morning and I've managed to keep track of my calories all day. Now I'm off to a dinner with friends where I know they will serve tasty beverages. 3 will be my limit...

As for the race report, let's try this :http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=523371
2014-09-08 4:55 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Finally - Let's here it for the newest Ironman in the BDAAS: Charles Shepard! Here are his stats. http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/coverage/athlete-tracker.aspx?race...

Really looking forward to the race report!

Congrats Charles!
2014-09-08 5:23 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Race report is up: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

I'm disappointed but not surprised. 15:23:54 overall, with a 1:32:54 swim, 7:25:39 bike, and 6:01:41 run. I ran my race, my way; with a good swim, a solid bike, and an okay marathon. Jumped 26 spots on the run, thanks largely to some Mall Grandma Powerwalking. That stuff works - it's a nice pace between a 13:00/mile run and a 15:30 walk.

The legs are are tough negotiators after mile 15, as in "walk now or I will toss this puppy in this chipper shredder,"

There is no such thing as a good race with a bad run in triathlon. I am satisfied if disappointed, but I was thinking 15 hours anyway, and between a couple of longer stops at the potty (still trying to figure out how to balance carb loading and gut-loading), it was pretty accurate.

The run gets pretty lonely out there once the sun goes down.

Nutrition was spot-on.
2014-09-08 7:56 PM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Congrats Ironman
2014-09-09 10:05 AM

User image

New user
Auburn, AL

Congrats on becoming an Ironman!

2014-09-09 1:23 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Congratulations!

2014-09-09 3:01 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

CONGRATULATIONS! :-)
2014-09-09 7:05 PM
in reply to: #4996400

User image

New user
Madrid
Congratulations Mr IRONMAN!!
2014-09-09 8:49 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Expert
Congrats Charles AKA Ironman!
2014-09-09 10:29 PM

User image

, Vermont
Fantastic!! Congratulations!!

(Black Forest by Saranac Lake.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Black Forest by Saranac Lake.jpg (660KB - 3 downloads)

2014-09-12 8:16 AM

User image

New user
Auburn, AL

My big race (Augusta 70.3) is just a few weeks away and I have started to over think things.  With that in mind I have a few questions to pose to the group.

1.  How hard is it to find your bike in transition at these big races?  There are somewhere around 3400 people registered and I'm a little worried about finding my bike.  I have some bright blue bar tape that I have considered putting on my bike to make it stand out.  Is it worth it or should I just leave the black on there as it looks better on the bike?

2.  Gloves on the bike?  I generally do my training rides in gloves.  I don't wear them in shorter races to save time in transition.  Anyone wear them in longer races?  I have a few long training rides left I could test out going gloveless on so I'm not worried about the "new on race day" factor.  Just wanted some opinions.

Thanks!

2014-09-12 8:34 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

At Ironman I racked my bike and then walked up to it a few times from the direction I would coming into the transition area from to practice spotting it among the other bikes. I also took note of nearby surroundings. There was lamp post directly in line with my bike and an advertisement banner on the fence directly across from it. 

I always wear my gloves on ride because I'm used to it and feel naked without them. Keep your normal routine as much as you can so you don't confuse yourself in the heat of the moment. 

Edited by adempsey10 2014-09-12 8:35 AM
2014-09-15 12:29 PM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

New user
Calgary, Alberta
Woo finished my first sprint on Sat. Very happy with my results. I had a goal to finish in less than 2 hrs and I nailed it with a finish of 1:41:30.9

S 750 m: 16:10.3, T1 3:08.7, B 20 km 43:14.0, T2 1:38.5, R 5 km 37:19.2

A bit stiff today but otherwise I feel great!
2014-09-15 2:40 PM
in reply to: Jeakins

User image

Another last minute sprint entry this weekend. My toughest yet for a lot of reasons.

I've been lazy and really haven't been doing much swimming. I like OWS so much better than pool swimming...plus I've discovered that you reach a certain amount of physical fitness that pool swimming for the shorter distances really doesn't go past a point of preparing you for. It's the constancy of the OWS plus the lack of visual cues, need for sighting, etc. (but mostly the ability to swim without a lap transition for hundreds of yards at a time). And I'm horribly allergic to chlorine, so it's been easy this summer to avoid the pool and just hit the lake once or twice a week. Laziness and weather prevented that most of the last month. So earlier last week I set out to swim daily....only one swim into it the end of season lake water did me in. I was an allergic, sinus-infected mess all of last week. Damn ducks and their poop. I stayed out of the water as a result and just kept my fingers crossed the swim wouldn't be too bad. I also entered the Novice category so I'd only have to swim 400m instead of 800 (the rest of the course was identical).

It was by far the longest 400m I've swum to date (not an exaggeration, it was definitely longer than my prior two races). BUT, I made it out of the water 5th. For me this was HUGE...no practicing, and no panicking. In looking at the times, had I had the confidence to get out front with the leaders rather than slog through the nonswimmers getting punched and scratched, I'd definitely have come in 2nd, only 24 seconds separated 2nd through 5th and I REALLY had a rough go of it having to go all the way around some pretty awful swimmers, at one point I was practically on land on the side of the lake.

I must have swum hard--it didn't feel like I was really pushing myself, but upon getting out of the water my heart rate was 170 (and that was several seconds after getting out). Definitely unusual for me as I just don't get much above 125 usually while swimming. The run to the transition area was LONG, probably ten times the distance of my previous two races, with a winding, twisting actual transition area....so I didn't come down much at all before getting on the bike. And the bike was while not awfully hard...it was brutal at the same time. Lots and lots of hills that were tough to do on the hybrid. Let's put it this way...at my previous two races I got passed plenty, but I also passed others. This time...well, the only two people I passed had flat tires. So my HR remained high...rather than the high 140's that it usually is when I push hard on the bike, it was well into the 160's.

I had found out that this race allowed you to listen to music, but only during the run and only one ear bud, so I was excited for this....finally a race I could use the iphone during! However, in getting to transition I was just a teeny bit in front of a married couple (sticking together) in my group, and as I saw them racking their bikes I opted not to waste the time grabbing the iphone and just went out in front of them. A decision I regret in retrospect...because I'd been operating at such a high HR as compared with prior races for such a long time, the run was tough and I think the music would have greatly helped there. It was also a hilly trail run. I stayed in front of the above couple and did pass another person in my group during the first 2.8 miles of the run, but they were both able to put a sprint on towards the end of the run that I just couldn't match, so they did pass me at the very end. I will point out that they were all 20 years younger than me though. LOL. But usually I am a more consistent runner than a lot of others and am able to eke out a last minute sprint....while I was able to maintain the consistency, I couldn't maintain my lead with that sprint.

Finished it in 1:29:13. 5/30 in the swim, 17/30 in the bike, and 13/30 on the run. Had I been able to bring it down a bit more on the bike, the run probably would have been at least a minute faster (and I almost certainly would have placed 10th). But I was also not far ahead of bike placements 18-23 (2 minutes from 17 to 23), so I think I played it right. In the end I was 1st in my AG, which I was very happy with.

The best part of it all? Deschutes was pouring two free beers per athlete. I had one Inversion IPA, and one River Ale. :-)
2014-09-15 2:49 PM
in reply to: sandishr

User image

Congrats on The AG Podium!!

2014-09-15 3:57 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Congrats! Great job on the swim even though you didn't feel prepared.

This weekend I did a 22 mile ride followed by a quick 1 mile run. I amazed myself by holding a pace of 8:30 off the bike! Not sure if I can keep that pace for a full 6 miles this coming weekend. Yesterday I ran a comfortable 9.5 miles as I tested out part of a route that my local running group is going to do for a virtual HM (Beat the Blerch!) in a couple weeks.

Today was the start of my rest week before my first Oly on Sunday! Relaxing 1000m swim to keep my arms moving.

2014-09-15 3:58 PM
in reply to: podemma

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Originally posted by podemma

My big race (Augusta 70.3) is just a few weeks away and I have started to over think things.  With that in mind I have a few questions to pose to the group.

1.  How hard is it to find your bike in transition at these big races?  There are somewhere around 3400 people registered and I'm a little worried about finding my bike.  I have some bright blue bar tape that I have considered putting on my bike to make it stand out.  Is it worth it or should I just leave the black on there as it looks better on the bike?

2.  Gloves on the bike?  I generally do my training rides in gloves.  I don't wear them in shorter races to save time in transition.  Anyone wear them in longer races?  I have a few long training rides left I could test out going gloveless on so I'm not worried about the "new on race day" factor.  Just wanted some opinions.

Thanks!

Racks are numbered. As Adam said, you'll be able to find it easy enough.

I only wear gloves if it's cold out. However, nothing new on race day - if you want gloves, run gloves.
2014-09-15 5:51 PM

User image

Expert
Last week my goal was to eat better. I utterly failed. I'm giving myself a Warm Coors Lite Penalty, which I deserve. The only good part - the Silver Bullet is only 102 calories.

I will do better next week

(photo (4).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
photo (4).JPG (35KB - 4 downloads)
2014-09-15 11:38 PM

User image

Coors Light... Yikes... I'm in Boulder, CO. The Napa Valley of Beer. I'm the banquet manager at the Hotel Boulderado and the number of people who are excited to get Coors Light BLOWS MY MIND!
2014-09-16 4:28 AM

User image

Expert
Sandi - Awesome job on winning your age group. Perhaps the only thing more impressive is the quality of the beer they served as the finish line. Deschutes is a beer I am dying to try (they don't ship past Illinois) and I have heard good things about the Inversion.

Matt - I'm a big fan of gloves because I feel like they help me keep my grip on the handle bars. There have been a few times when I have ridden without gloves when I've almost had an accident when I've lost my grip. With the cooler temps, it probably won't be a problem but wearing them would only cost you a few seconds. What is the day of your race?

Yesterday I went for a run on a beautiful fall day. Since I hadn't run in more than a week (slacker) I felt fresh and the run was such an awesome experience. There were a few times when I got so in the zone, I almost forgot that I was running. Hard to explain - but oh so awesome to experience. It put me in the best mood and left me feeling relaxed.

Hope everyone has a great day!

2014-09-16 3:35 PM

User image

Originally posted by Qua17

Perhaps the only thing more impressive is the quality of the beer they served as the finish line. Deschutes is a beer I am dying to try (they don't ship past Illinois) and I have heard good things about the Inversion.

I am a HUGE Deschutes fan. Currently my go-to is the Mirror Pond Pale but I love the Red Chair (it's seasonal).

Hmmm. We might need to give you a little Deschutes incentive to stick to your calorie goals. I completely empathize....I've been so good and proud of myself all summer maintaining weight, the training has kept it super easy to stay where I want to while still pretty much eating/drinking what I want. However...what I've discovered is that "eating/drinking what I want" means I can drink beer and eat pretty well. It does NOT mean I can eat beer, eat pretty well, and indulge in sugar on any sort of regular basis. And unfortunately, once I started racing I also started indulging in sugar on a regular basis. So MY monthly goal is to continue training like I have a race to prepare for (I don't), NOT buy dessert or sweets, and I AM NOT ALLOWED TO VISIT THE WHOLE FOODS BREAKFAST BAR. ONCE, LET ALONE DAILY. (Can you envision creme brulee french toast bake? With berries? Do yourself a favor...DON'T.)

Sandi
2014-09-16 5:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Just got my cyclocross bike back from the shop - new cables have her shifting and stopping like she should. Crisp autumn air, pumpkin-flavored everything in the stores (I love pumpkin), and the days getting shorter - must be CROSS SEASON. Time to tear up some gravel and mud!

My poor tri bike is about to get regulated back to the trainer for the winter.
2014-09-16 8:43 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

Just got my cyclocross bike back from the shop - new cables have her shifting and stopping like she should. Crisp autumn air, pumpkin-flavored everything in the stores (I love pumpkin), and the days getting shorter - must be CROSS SEASON. Time to tear up some gravel and mud!

My poor tri bike is about to get regulated back to the trainer for the winter.

Plenty of time between now and the first major snow fall. I won't ride once they start dumping sand - but I'm hoping for 3 more months. If I push it - I might be able to break the 3000 mile mark.

Cycling is cycling - have fun!
2014-09-16 8:45 PM
in reply to: Jeakins

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Jeakins

Woo finished my first sprint on Sat. Very happy with my results. I had a goal to finish in less than 2 hrs and I nailed it with a finish of 1:41:30.9

S 750 m: 16:10.3, T1 3:08.7, B 20 km 43:14.0, T2 1:38.5, R 5 km 37:19.2

A bit stiff today but otherwise I feel great!
[/QUOTE

That's fantastic! Congrats on the accomplishment!

What's next?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 50235 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19338 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.