BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2014-09-26 7:14 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open
Welcome to the party Steve and T Jay! This is a fantastic group - there is a ton of knowledge and passion here. Please let us know how we can help support you along your journey.

2014-09-26 7:20 PM

User image

Expert
Contrary to reports - I haven't fallen off the face of the earth - just overwhelmed with a new job and a killer commute. I've worked out 5 times in the last 5 weeks and it's time to turn the lights back on. I realize I said that 3 weeks ago - but this time I mean it. I've got a sprint tomorrow to refire the engines and I may not even start my watch. I just want to have a good time and suck down a few cold ones after crossing the finish line.

The cool thing about tomorrow is that my son is doing the kids race. For those of you who are new - my son had a TBI 10 years ago and then struggled with Guillen Barre Syndrome that put him back into the hospital for a month last January. So the fact that he's going to start this is huge for him and a cool moment for me. Keep your fingers crossed. He's going to need it.

Prost!
2014-09-27 4:17 PM

User image

Expert
I had a good time at my sprint today. I was pleased by my time and was stoked to finally be able to push the pace during a race. During my IM training - I was a slave to my HRM and tried hard to keep my pulse around 132. From the first mile on the bike, the warming alarm on my watch was going off continuously as I pushed my pulse past 150 and hit 174 during the run.

What I was really happy about though was my son's race. He was such a trooper. Due to some of his physical limitations - he was behind from the start but he never gave up. Some kind soul ran the last lap with him and he was able to cross the finish line. I looked over at my wife who was in tears and I asked her what was wrong - it had just occurred to her that today was the 10th anniversary of his entering the rehab hospital after he suffered his TBI. I am a blessed man.
2014-09-27 10:25 PM

User image

Congrats David and I'm glad to hear your son finished his race that is awesome.

Matt I hope Augusta went well. A friend of mine was down there volunteering, planning to run next year.

My race went well. I feel much much better about the swim after swimming in the same water for almost the same distance, I even had some left in the tank after it. On the run I was pacing off someone just a little faster than I am, at mile 2 i caught up, i told him "don't slow down I'm using you for a pacer" we ran together about another half mile before he fell off, but he pushed me though. I think i broke my pr for a 5k again, but i forgot to stop my watch so i'm not sure. Hope everyone is doing well as the season winds down.
2014-09-28 4:29 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by Qua17

What I was really happy about though was my son's race. He was such a trooper. Due to some of his physical limitations - he was behind from the start but he never gave up. Some kind soul ran the last lap with him and he was able to cross the finish line. I looked over at my wife who was in tears and I asked her what was wrong - it had just occurred to her that today was the 10th anniversary of his entering the rehab hospital after he suffered his TBI. I am a blessed man.

Unforgetable race David, congrats to all family!!!
2014-09-28 4:30 PM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

New user
Madrid
Well done! I usually use the 80-90-100% rule to keep some energy till the end: swim at 80% of my capacity, bike at 90% and then give it all in the ran. Good job!

2014-09-29 12:23 PM

User image

The race sounds wonderful, David! Congrats to your son. :-)

Sandi
2014-09-29 5:06 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

I had a good time at my sprint today. I was pleased by my time and was stoked to finally be able to push the pace during a race. During my IM training - I was a slave to my HRM and tried hard to keep my pulse around 132. From the first mile on the bike, the warming alarm on my watch was going off continuously as I pushed my pulse past 150 and hit 174 during the run.

That is awesome!
2014-09-29 6:24 PM
in reply to: SportzVision

User image

Expert
Thanks for the kinds words everyone! It was an awesome moment for my son. He's told us repeatedly that he will never do another one and I'm trying my hardest not to respond. He's a teenager and saying he should would be the kiss of death...

In other news - I avoided a Coors light penalty by getting my butt out the door for a run. I put in 4 miles... For the 2nd time in 2 weeks, I went for a run when I Was dehydrated. By the end - I thought I was going to heave... ugh - I hate that feeling. And my knee hurts... It hasn't hurt since this past April... I guess it was bound to happen since I haven't done 1 minute of PT/core work since then. Time to work on the abs.

How is everyone doing? It's getting quiet on the BDAAS. We might need a challenge for October. My suggestion would be to work on weight loss.

Thoughts?
2014-09-29 9:37 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Vermont
I'm going to try a TFW class tomorrow (training for warriors - through Parisi) to see how I like it. A friend teaches it so I'm going to support her.
I've kind of moved to working out every other day, sometimes 5x's a week. I'm still focusing on the 3 sports - not one more than the others though I am trying to bike while the weather is nice.
Also, once I get daring enough I'd like to join our master's swim group but while my friends see me as outgoing - I'm not and have a hard time joining a new group. yeah, yeah, I made it here....but this is online.
A new challenge would be great to keep the motivation going (though I need something other than a weight loss one - brainstorming).

Working over a Blonde Ale from the Waterfront Brewing Co. in Portland, ME. T. Jay - your neck of the woods? I used to live in Portland, ME back in '98. Loved walking down the hill to the harbor for fresh seafood. So good.

Edited by aviatrix802 2014-09-29 9:38 PM
2014-09-30 10:31 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

did my longest swim today. Was suppose to do 2200 yards, but the pool was set for the long course (100 meters) so did 2200 meters instead. I guess I'm ready for my HIM swim. haven't run much recently and missed my long bike this week. I am starting to think about the full and how am I going to ever finish that next year, guess that's better than worrying about the half.hahaha

2014-09-30 12:36 PM

, Maine

Welcome to the party Steve and T Jay! This is a fantastic group - there is a ton of knowledge and passion here. Please let us know how we can help support you along your journey.

Thank You.
2014-09-30 12:48 PM
in reply to: TRIING IN MY 40'S

, Maine
Fell off the rails this weekend as far as the diet goes. Weighing in this morning 4lbs heavier than this time last week. How can one day of not dieting do more damage than 6 days of low calorie healthy eating (and exercise 1-2 hours a day)? Anyway, I also played about two hours of Basketball with my kids and injured my back. So on my rest day (Sunday) I really rested. (sat and watched movies all day). Yesterday I still had some back pain so I only did 8 easy miles. Missed my pool time this morning and stuck at the office the rest of the day. So I will have to double up tomorrow.

On a good note. I had some great beer this weekend and had a lot of fun. Next weekend a long hike up a coastal mountain with fall colors and good friends.

Hope everyone is doing well!!!
2014-09-30 3:41 PM
in reply to: TRIING IN MY 40'S

User image

New user
Auburn, AL

I'm back from Augusta!  I managed to finish in 7:03:54.  I'm working on the race report (gotta catch up on work first since I took a few days off).

The quick summary is:

Swim was awesome.  Wetsuit legal and a nice current. - 29:04

Bike was nice and rolling.  Quite crowded in sections. - 3:20:06

Run was nice and flat.  I suck at running! - 3:03:19

Awesome race, I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a Half, especially their first.

2014-09-30 3:48 PM

User image

New user
Auburn, AL

Originally posted by Qua17 I had a good time at my sprint today. I was pleased by my time and was stoked to finally be able to push the pace during a race. During my IM training - I was a slave to my HRM and tried hard to keep my pulse around 132. From the first mile on the bike, the warming alarm on my watch was going off continuously as I pushed my pulse past 150 and hit 174 during the run. What I was really happy about though was my son's race. He was such a trooper. Due to some of his physical limitations - he was behind from the start but he never gave up. Some kind soul ran the last lap with him and he was able to cross the finish line. I looked over at my wife who was in tears and I asked her what was wrong - it had just occurred to her that today was the 10th anniversary of his entering the rehab hospital after he suffered his TBI. I am a blessed man.

Glad you and your son both had a good weekend.  Nothing like seeing you kids compete!

2014-10-01 10:58 AM
in reply to: 0

, Maine
[

Edited by TRIING IN MY 40'S 2014-10-02 9:18 AM

2014-10-01 4:04 PM
in reply to: podemma

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by podemma

I'm back from Augusta!  I managed to finish in 7:03:54.  I'm working on the race report (gotta catch up on work first since I took a few days off).

The quick summary is:

Awesome race, I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a Half, especially their first.

Great job, well done!! Your swimming rocks! Looking forward to your race report, never did a HIM (yet) but in my plans for 2015. This weekend 2nd Oly -and last- of this year. It will be in Marbella, southern Spain, so great weather is expected.
2014-10-01 6:21 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
I need the challenge in Oct real bad since I'm slacking with posting and working out. I'm outta the run for the entire month due to knee issues but will be biking, swimming, and doing strength.

I also would like something non weight related since that's not a priority right now. If I'm in the minority and weight is the challenge then I'll go along

Maybe one of Thor's famous 28/31 workouts. Lets try to get creative and see what we can come up with.
2014-10-01 6:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL

The quick summary is:

SWEEEET! Great job...killer times. I'd like to do that one next year. Was it as pretty as everyone says?
2014-10-01 6:41 PM

User image

The quick summary is:

That is GREAT. Good job. Congrats!!!!!!!!!
2014-10-01 8:58 PM

User image

, Vermont
Matt, you rock!!! Nice job!!!

Tried the Training for Warriors yesterday....I am sore.... push-ups, burpees, mountain climbers, high knee sprints, core stuff. I am sore. I started taking a protein supplement - Pea Protein by Pure Vegan.
Did I mention I'm sore. Ouch. Clearly I need work here, and here, and here.
I don't know if I'll stick with TFW - very pricey and I'd rather rock climb, but I had a nice serving of humble pie. I look forward to working out some more! Funny how that works.

2014-10-02 6:30 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

The quick summary is:

Great job, sounds like a fun course! Looking forward to the race report.

2014-10-03 10:24 AM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Not too much going on right now. Still getting back in on the running; work's in a bit of flux right now (changing office locations, so right now my commute is ~3 hours daily, in horrible traffic).

I've recently gotten involved with Team RWB, which is a group that is based on civilians, military, and former military getting together and doing physical things - spartan races, triathlon, cycling, running, etc. It's pretty laid-back, but the Chicago chapter is pretty active, and it's nice to get involved and meet people. Did hot yoga last night with them for the first time - brutal, absolutely brutal, in a good way. "There is no shame in child's pose." Then beer and pizza afterward Plus a six mile run with some tempo bursts.
2014-10-03 1:09 PM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

So a little setback. While doing my PT test yesterday my back started to spasm and had bad pain in my left leg. I have herniated L4-5 (previously) and aggravated the crap out of it. On a steroid, flexeral and vicaden. My doc says I can swim when i get off the vicaden but no running. I may try a stationary bike, all in all not a good day. I'm icing the crap out of it, praying it will be strong enough for my race and that the work i have put in will carry me though this unexpected "tapper"

Scott
2014-10-04 11:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Originally posted by b2b14

So a little setback. While doing my PT test yesterday my back started to spasm and had bad pain in my left leg. I have herniated L4-5 (previously) and aggravated the crap out of it. On a steroid, flexeral and vicaden. My doc says I can swim when i get off the vicaden but no running. I may try a stationary bike, all in all not a good day. I'm icing the crap out of it, praying it will be strong enough for my race and that the work i have put in will carry me though this unexpected "tapper"

Scott

Rest up and get better. Injuries are never fun especially when you have a race coming up.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 50334 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19382 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.