BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2014-11-14 12:57 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open

Question for the folks here, has anyone dealt with plantar fasciitis (PF)? My heel has been sore the last month or so. When I run the pain fades after the first mile so it doesn't seem to be impact and I focus on mid-foot striking. In the morning the soreness is at it's peak and lessens as my day goes on.

With two half marathons coming up (end of Dec, middle of Jan) I would like to keep my running levels high, however if I need rest I can switch to biking for a few weeks.

2014-11-14 4:19 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Madrid
Jennifer, Alex, Alan, thanks for your motivation! It is kind of slow in the last few weeks. I tend to check in almost daily but not much to say.... SInce my last Oly in October I have been kind of 'letargic' and laaaazy.... Just sporadic biking and spinning, no swimming and very little running. But today two good things happened: 1) BDAAS recovered some activity, great source of inspiration, and 2) after a month of research, trying to fit a good HIM in 2015 with my family plans, work and traveling, I found a good HIM near Barcelona, which will be my first HIM. So after that -still not signed in- went for a 10k run and realized how much shape I can lose in less than a month. Tomorrow I will be in the pool, Sunday scheduled a 3h bike.... back on track, now I have a goal. No more whining, need to design a plan.

Mark, no experience with FP, but from what I hear from friends, take GOOD care of it, so you can run pain-free many more years.

Edited by Juancho 2014-11-14 4:20 PM
2014-11-14 8:20 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

My wife deals with being a tri widow for 7 months then a deer season widow for 3. not much training other than getting up at 430 to hunt. Going to get back on the bike and pool next week. My back is getting better but still not healed.
2014-11-16 5:39 AM

User image

New user
Madrid
Sunday mornning, just back from a 5k charity race: this is the first time in my life that my son (14) beat me in a race. I need to train harder (and acknowledge I'm aging ) So, I signed up for my first HIM in May 2015! Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend.

Edited by Juancho 2014-11-16 12:57 PM
2014-11-17 8:43 AM

User image

New user
Calgary, Alberta
Originally posted by MOlsen

Question for the folks here, has anyone dealt with plantar fasciitis (PF)? My heel has been sore the last month or so. When I run the pain fades after the first mile so it doesn't seem to be impact and I focus on mid-foot striking. In the morning the soreness is at it's peak and lessens as my day goes on.

With two half marathons coming up (end of Dec, middle of Jan) I would like to keep my running levels high, however if I need rest I can switch to biking for a few weeks.

I battled with PF and I can tell you that it sucks. Lots of stretching especially the calves helped me. Ultimately however to get rid of it I needed professional help in the form of my sister in law (She is a PT). I had been seeing a PT for a few months with some improvement but it was still bothering me. My sis-in-law found something that wasn’t moving correctly in my foot which was contributing to the issue. Plus I had very tight calves. Additionally I began running with a heart rate monitor which I think helped with my pace, shortening my stide which many say helps. Have a look in the history of this board. David also provided some great references for treating and preventing PF (Page 17). My experience is that unfortunately without professional treatment and rest it will continue to be a pain.

Edited by Jeakins 2014-11-17 9:18 AM
2014-11-18 7:08 PM
in reply to: Jeakins

User image

I'm a big believer in PT for PF or most injuries....

Sandi

2014-11-19 6:34 AM
in reply to: sandishr

User image

Here is my race report finally. sorry for the delay

http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/635904201/5
2014-11-19 2:23 PM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

New user
Madrid
Hi Scott,

Thanks for report -it is never too late- but cannot open your link, is there any other way to read it?
As a non-native English speaker, what is the meaning of DFL> DNF >DNS?
2014-11-19 3:32 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Originally posted by Juancho

Hi Scott, Thanks for report -it is never too late- but cannot open your link, is there any other way to read it? As a non-native English speaker, what is the meaning of DFL> DNF >DNS?

Dead F'n Last (is greater than) Did Not Finish (is greater than) Did Not Start

It's better to start a race and come in last than to not finish or even start it.

Edited by MOlsen 2014-11-19 3:33 PM
2014-11-19 8:49 PM

User image

Expert

Sunday mornning, just back from a 5k charity race: this is the first time in my life that my son (14) beat me in a race. I need to train harder (and acknowledge I'm aging ) So, I signed up for my first HIM in May 2015! Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend.

You should sign your kid up and then show him who's boss!
2014-11-19 8:51 PM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

Expert
Originally posted by b2b14

Here is my race report finally. sorry for the delay

http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/635904201/5

Congrats! Would love to read it but the link takes me to a page with a message Page Not Found.

2014-11-19 8:59 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Expert

Hi Mark - I feel your pain!

Here is my previous post from a few months ago: I haven't had a serious bout with PF for two years thanks to a few things that I've added to my running. First, I almost always run on dirt. running on the roads/sidewalks are are recipe for disaster for me. Luckily, I have a cc course about 1/2 a mile from my house and I take full advantage of it. 2) I've made rolling and stretching my fascia. achilles/calf a priority. 3) I spend time each week strengthening my feet so it can better handle the weight and not put so much pressure on the fascia.

Here is some good info on stretches and strength exercises - http://www.cumc.columbia.edu/student/health/pdf/O-P/Plantar%20Fasci...

I do two other things that aren't on this sheet - I roll with a golf ball (I tried rolling with a bottle of beer - but it didn't work as well as the small golf ball). Another exercise I do is to pick up small rocks/pebbles between my toes. I even have a zip lock bag with 50 stones that I spill out on the carpet and then pick up and put in piles with muy feet. This really strengthen my feet and keeps the PF pain at bay. Good luck!

I have two additional suggestions: Take a break from running now and bike for a few weeks. During that time - do the exercises above and ICE LIKE IT"S YOUR JOB! Also - give some thought to aqua jogging. It will help you maintain your fitness while letting your feel heal.

Good luck!

2014-11-19 9:03 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
HI Folks - I'm still in the triathlon doldrums. My calf is slowly recovering but I haven't been exercising at all. I hope something clicks back on in my brain because not only am I starting to get fat - but I'm also starting to miss it. Right now - work is sucking the life out of me, so I need to find a better balance. I think it's time to start assessing myself some long overdue Coors Light Penalties.
2014-11-20 1:02 PM

User image

New user
Calgary, Alberta

Hi Scott, Thanks for report -it is never too late- but cannot open your link, is there any other way to read it? As a non-native English speaker, what is the meaning of DFL> DNF >DNS?

Dead F'n Last (is greater than) Did Not Finish (is greater than) Did Not Start

It's better to start a race and come in last than to not finish or even start it.

Bang on. I saw it on a Tri somewhere and appropriated it
2014-11-21 8:26 AM
in reply to: Jeakins

User image

Veteran
Illinois
*FINALLY* got my IMWI ink:

[img]https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7534/15818582646_922d134c25_s.jpg[/img]IMWI Ink by Carrie and Charles, on Flickr

(IMWI Ink.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMWI Ink.jpg (58KB - 11 downloads)
2014-11-21 8:34 AM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

New user
Auburn, AL

Like the IMOO tat.  Very original!

2014-11-21 9:12 AM
in reply to: podemma

User image

I put it on beginner triathlete so maybe this one will work.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-edit.asp?raceid=271...

Awesome tat
2014-11-21 4:29 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
hahaha....thanks!!
2014-11-23 12:47 AM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Beer Drinkers-

Been a long while. I fell off the tri training map for a long while. Health and life issues caught up to me.

I started running again. My calf issues of the past are no more. It just took laying off for a year and a half.

Looking at a 50K in the Spring.

Wife and I started drinking wine. I had no idea. I still enjoy an IPA, and the Winter brews are now here in full swing.

Just checking in.
2014-11-23 4:42 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Originally posted by Qua17

HI Folks - I'm still in the triathlon doldrums. My calf is slowly recovering but I haven't been exercising at all. I hope something clicks back on in my brain because not only am I starting to get fat - but I'm also starting to miss it. Right now - work is sucking the life out of me, so I need to find a better balance. I think it's time to start assessing myself some long overdue Coors Light Penalties.

wait did I write this quote as Qua??? We are in the same doldrums in different parts of the nation together! AND work is sucking the life out of me but for me I only have 2.5 more days! I got another job, still in higher ed but at the local community college] i will actually be paid for what I do. Not going to lie it has been a rough week passing down but I am eager to learn the new stuff next week.

Feel better buddy...you got this. I don't think Coors light would even be enough of a kick in the arse to get me moving...
DQ,
You have BRAINS in your head
You have FEET in your shoes
You can steer yourself in ANY direction you CHOOSE
Dr. Seuss

Edited by SportzVision 2014-11-23 4:54 PM
2014-11-23 4:55 PM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Originally posted by kevinbe

Beer Drinkers-

Been a long while. I fell off the tri training map for a long while. Health and life issues caught up to me.

I started running again. My calf issues of the past are no more. It just took laying off for a year and a half.

Looking at a 50K in the Spring.

Wife and I started drinking wine. I had no idea. I still enjoy an IPA, and the Winter brews are now here in full swing.

Just checking in.

Wish we had a like button...nice to return to see my ol pals!
Lets do this!

2014-11-23 5:19 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Misery loves company and by some of the post looks like I was in good company. But trying to come back like many of you have been. No serious injuries keeping me sidelined or anything top outrageous just life in general.

I did run a 5K yesterday and it went well...not great but just ok. I did not track my time but my friend's Garmin said we finished in less than 31 mins which sounds about right. So its a good base to start from...again!
2014-11-24 6:53 AM
in reply to: SportzVision

User image

Hope everyone is working though the post season slump. I have started running again and plan to hop on the bike and in the pool next week. I am thinking of buying last years p3 since the new ones are out and the old ones are on sale. My brother needs a bike so I am going to sell him my current one.

Anyone want to do a challenge for Dec? Maybe a weight challenge, just don't add any weight. Weigh when you wake up on Dec 1 and when you wake up on Dec 31. Don't have to put actual weight on here if you don't want to, but cout put -1, +1 ect for updates. Seems like a somewhat easy challenge to get us going again
2014-11-24 10:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Guess I guess I am in the gettin' fat and lazy club.

Went for a run on the track this morning...been awhile. Thinking about how to get it in gear.

This is what I came up with:

The 10-20-30 challenge for December.

I challenge everyone to 30 workouts in December!

Rules:

1. run/swim-minimum of 10 minutes
  2. bike minimum of 20 minutes
  3. beer penalties-warm crappy beer for every workout you miss.
  4. bonus workout day-November 30, just because!

There you have it. I have shortened all the s/b/r portions to make it easier for everyone to get back in the habit! 40 minutes in on day and you have 3 workouts! Plus if you start running for 10 minutes, you will probably run for 15 etc. etc.!

2014-11-24 11:10 AM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Originally posted by thor67

Guess I guess I am in the gettin' fat and lazy club.

Went for a run on the track this morning...been awhile. Thinking about how to get it in gear.

This is what I came up with:

The 10-20-30 challenge for December.

I challenge everyone to 30 workouts in December!

Rules:

1. run/swim-minimum of 10 minutes
  2. bike minimum of 20 minutes
  3. beer penalties-warm crappy beer for every workout you miss.
  4. bonus workout day-November 30, just because!

There you have it. I have shortened all the s/b/r portions to make it easier for everyone to get back in the habit! 40 minutes in on day and you have 3 workouts! Plus if you start running for 10 minutes, you will probably run for 15 etc. etc.!

Love it....I'm in!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 50330 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19379 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.