BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2014-12-05 2:33 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Vermont
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open
Originally posted by thor67

Originally posted by aviatrix802 Ah, Thor, you're killing me! LOL Just kidding. Our ski area hasn't even opened yet.
Based on your previous comment, you may need to give up skiing... :-)

Never!! Hahaha! That is a huge reason I'm still in the frigid arctic! 8 months of darkness, beer, and skiing....

I actually will be loving the lower amounts as it will definitely get me going. It appears all the spinning classes I have been taking did my knee in and that may have transferred to my back (it's still out), so when able, I'll use my trainer instead.

Today is my first day not on NSAIDs for my back pain and I'm not as far along as I'd hoped. This too shall come to pass. My car was crushed by a Mack dump truck when I was 18 and my back has never been the same. Core strength is huge and I work on it continuously!! Sandi, you are very correct to be focusing on that in the off-season!
Press on, friends, I'll get back to it when I can! (the sooner the better for my sanity!!)

Oh, I understand these forums close sometime in December? Is Dave Q going to mentor again? and what is the new group's name going to be? and...I'd still love a BDAAS cycling shirt!
Best,
Jenn

Edited by aviatrix802 2014-12-05 2:50 PM

2014-12-08 4:01 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

New user
Madrid

Oh, I understand these forums close sometime in December? Is Dave Q going to mentor again? and what is the new group's name going to be? and...I'd still love a BDAAS cycling shirt!

Best,
Jenn

Good to hear Jenn! Then: should we add to our Dec challenge to decide whether we should give to ourselves a BDAAS cycling shirt? I would love it!
2014-12-08 4:08 PM

User image

Originally posted by Burd I need some advise from you that have went long. I have a problem of getting hurt when I start getting the longs runs up there. What is the least amount of mileage I can get by on for a HIM, and when the time comes next year for IMFL, for an IM? I seem to remember I think it was Bobby that said he never did anything over 5 miles for a half since he was injury prone also. I plan to do a fair amount of walking in the race so I'm prepared for that. David what were your long runs like before your race? I know you had some issues as well with running and building up the mileage. Any advise is welcomed.

I ran two half marathons in the early spring of last year leading up to IMMT in August. I suffered with an IT band problem for much of the time between those halfs and the IM. I ran at most 16km twice and with immense pain both times. I then resorted to a 2km run everyday where I did the run as fast as I could. You can compensate for fitness by overloading on the bike but cycling doesn't increase bone density or prepare the body for the pounding of a full marathon so that's why the shorter frequent runs were important. All in all it worked out for me. I ran it slower than my planned pace but still got a PB for a full marathon (with no pain) and that was after the swim and bike.. 

For some perspective I ran 173km total for 2014 when I training for Ironman, and that figure includes the Ironman run. So I really ran 131km during training. 

Edited by adempsey10 2014-12-08 4:14 PM
2014-12-08 10:34 PM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

Originally posted by SportzVision
Originally posted by aviatrix802 I forgot to ask, does a ski day count toward the workouts? ??
If skiing counts then I am counting yoga. Hot yoga kicks my butt every time and I am using it as my strength training. You should see my arms! 4/28...I can't remember who put this new challenge out???Was it the challenge master Thor? Anyway, great idea! I appreciate the break on length of training session. Because I knew I only had to do 20 mins I got an itty bitty brick in last night. Road for 20 and ran for 22. Thanks buddy!

Sorry, swim/bike/run this round...short enough we can all bang out doubles if need be...just sayin'.

Nice job on the doin' the itty bitty brick.

Now where is David "the Lazy" Qua and Kevin "I can't put on my pants" Biers

I'm lurking in the shadows Thor, not sure if I'm ready for a long term commitment yet.

Been on a little bit of a run focus of late. consistent 3 runs/week for the last few months. gonna build this body back into a marathon running machine again, one day.

My "cheat week" during Thanksgiving has really taken a turn for the worse, and I'm pushing 200+ lbs. again. Haven't met a food or beverage that I've said no to. Oh well, there's always next week.
2014-12-09 8:02 AM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by kevinbe

Originally posted by SportzVision
Originally posted by aviatrix802 I forgot to ask, does a ski day count toward the workouts? ??
If skiing counts then I am counting yoga. Hot yoga kicks my butt every time and I am using it as my strength training. You should see my arms! 4/28...I can't remember who put this new challenge out???Was it the challenge master Thor? Anyway, great idea! I appreciate the break on length of training session. Because I knew I only had to do 20 mins I got an itty bitty brick in last night. Road for 20 and ran for 22. Thanks buddy!

Sorry, swim/bike/run this round...short enough we can all bang out doubles if need be...just sayin'.

Nice job on the doin' the itty bitty brick.

Now where is David "the Lazy" Qua and Kevin "I can't put on my pants" Biers

I'm lurking in the shadows Thor, not sure if I'm ready for a long term commitment yet. Been on a little bit of a run focus of late. consistent 3 runs/week for the last few months. gonna build this body back into a marathon running machine again, one day. My "cheat week" during Thanksgiving has really taken a turn for the worse, and I'm pushing 200+ lbs. again. Haven't met a food or beverage that I've said no to. Oh well, there's always next week.

I am not asking for you hand in marriage...

Hey, you should sneak over the border over new years. Will around Fairmont Hot springs, BC from Dec 31-Jan 4. I will buy you a tea and a lettuce leaf...or a beer.

2014-12-09 10:41 AM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Hey everyone,

Since I'll be taking a break from competing in triathlons this year (and possibly the next), I'm going to bow out of this group. School and training already keeps me busy enough and now that I'm also spearheading the blog for the local velodrome, I just don't have the time to keep up with the posts here and contribute. I was never really a triathlete anyway, more of cyclist dabbling in the black arts. :P haha. It's been a lot of fun reading and sharing info and experiences with all of you and I wish you good luck in your training for this year. 

Thanks, David, for inviting me into this group last year when I knew very little about going long in triathlon. I'm glad we got to meet face-to-face at Tremblant. 

Cheers,

AD

2014-12-09 12:39 PM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by adempsey10

Hey everyone,

Since I'll be taking a break from competing in triathlons this year (and possibly the next), I'm going to bow out of this group. School and training already keeps me busy enough and now that I'm also spearheading the blog for the local velodrome, I just don't have the time to keep up with the posts here and contribute. I was never really a triathlete anyway, more of cyclist dabbling in the black arts. :P haha. It's been a lot of fun reading and sharing info and experiences with all of you and I wish you good luck in your training for this year. 

Thanks, David, for inviting me into this group last year when I knew very little about going long in triathlon. I'm glad we got to meet face-to-face at Tremblant. 

Cheers,

AD

Good luck in your cycling-focussed races in 2015! I did learn a lot from your posts and it really motivated me when I read that cycling long and 131km run can be good enough to make it to the finish line in an IM !! If you ever come to Spain for Vuelta de España, or nearby for the Tour de France or Giro d'Italia drop me a line, not much knowledge about beer -still learning- but we would have great reds. Enjoy life!!
2014-12-11 6:02 PM

User image

Hey everyone,

Cheers,

AD

Good luck, thx for the help over the last season
2014-12-11 9:26 PM

User image

, Vermont

Hey everyone,

Cheers,

AD

You are going to be great next year! I'll keep following you on Strava - I love to see your workouts, it's inspiring. I haven't been on there in a bit as I'm still battling the back issue and now of course we have lots of snow.
I, and I'm sure many others, very much appreciate your knowledge, enthusiasm, and contribution to this group. I'm tweaking my bike again and will add aerobars over the winter so I may pick your brain over on strava if that's okay!
Best of luck and skill this next year!
~Jenn
2014-12-15 11:11 AM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Alan,

Thank you for your contributions this year!

2014-12-15 3:29 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

I'm glad I could help if I did. 

Here's my one final triumph I want to share. In order to let out some pent up frustration from exam and paper writing I decided to race in the Saturday night series at the track and I'm glad I did because Steve Bauer was there. He might not mean much to my American brethren but for the Canadians here he's a cycling legend. First Canadian to win an Olympic medal in cycling and has worn the yellow jersey more than any other Canadian in the TdF (in the LeMond days, before all the doping). 

He's a little past his prime now but I still feel like I have some bragging rights in being able to say that I nailed his a$$ in the Last Man Standing race. Anyway, I look like a crazy person but I was too busy fan-girling to think of asking for a retake. 

Once again, good luck everyone on your endeavours this year! You might see me every now and then, there may be some Triathlons on the docket this summer (and maybe a Boston qualifying attempt in November). 

Also I bought a set of FLO wheels recently which are becoming really popular with Triathletes. If anyone wants any info about them or curious about how well they work, I'd be happy to answer questions. 

(10393580_10152521760342113_5241689270586267695_n.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
10393580_10152521760342113_5241689270586267695_n.jpg (110KB - 13 downloads)

2014-12-15 10:27 PM

User image

I'm glad I could help if I did. 

Here's my one final triumph I want to share. In order to let out some pent up frustration from exam and paper writing I decided to race in the Saturday night series at the track and I'm glad I did because Steve Bauer was there. He might not mean much to my American brethren but for the Canadians here he's a cycling legend. First Canadian to win an Olympic medal in cycling and has worn the yellow jersey more than any other Canadian in the TdF (in the LeMond days, before all the doping). 

He's a little past his prime now but I still feel like I have some bragging rights in being able to say that I nailed his a$$ in the Last Man Standing race. Anyway, I look like a crazy person but I was too busy fan-girling to think of asking for a retake. 

Once again, good luck everyone on your endeavours this year! You might see me every now and then, there may be some Triathlons on the docket this summer (and maybe a Boston qualifying attempt in November). 

Also I bought a set of FLO wheels recently which are becoming really popular with Triathletes. If anyone wants any info about them or curious about how well they work, I'd be happy to answer questions. 

nice
2014-12-16 12:25 PM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Hit and miss on the training but more hit than previous months. Down a few pounds but I have been there before so I need to keep that up.

How is everyone doing? Home from work today, sick with a bad cold...not nearly as bad as last year where I almost ended up in the hospital. I had a scratchy throat the night before last but it wasn't any worse in the morning so I got myself to the pool...yeah me. However, by noon I was feeling horrid. In bed all day today and hopefully will be over this soon.

Keep it up everyone!
2014-12-16 4:29 PM
in reply to: SportzVision

User image

Yeah...got pneumonia this month....so I'm ARGH....1/30!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I haven't had this low of an exercise level in years. Hoping to get back to it by the weekend, but I know if I push it too early I'll regret it.

Sandi
2014-12-16 8:45 PM
in reply to: sandishr

User image

Expert
OK - I need to say this one last time.... I suck! I apologize for not being a regular contributor to the BDAAS and I am turning over a new leaf.

Here is my promise - I will check the page every day for the rest of the year. If I don't - Coors Light Penalty

Now onto more important things...

2014-12-16 8:48 PM

User image

Expert

Hey everyone,

Cheers,

AD

Alan: You will be missed! You were an incredible part of the group for the last year and meeting you at Mont Tremblant was one of the highlights of my year. I wish you nothing but the best! Please stay in touch!

2014-12-16 8:55 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Finally - If you've found this note, you have probably figured out by now that we've been archived. I started up a new BDAS group for 2015 and I hope you'll join me.

I promise to return to being a regular contributor to the group but what I really need is for y'all to help me mentor the newbies. All of you have a lot to share so please help me support those who join the BDAS (I changed it to beer drinker appreciation society - hope everyone is okay with that) by making it your goal to post as often as possibly - especially to answer questions or to provide support.

Here's the link to the new thread: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Prost!
2014-12-17 9:49 PM

User image

Expert
Good Evening Everyone!

I'm proud report that I ate well and actually worked out today! I guess anything is possible!

I just wanted to ask y'all for a favor: On Sunday, I'm walking/running 25 miles from my home (west of Boston) to Franciscan Hospital for Children (in Boston) to celebrate the 10th anniversary of my middle son's discharge from there 10 years ago. As some of you may know, on September 8, 2004 - he suffered a TBI and spent four months in the hospital where he learned how to do everything again including walking, talking, and eating. To thank all the people who have made his recovery possible, one of his doctors and I are going to make this walk together and we would love to have you join us virtually. It's totally free to join - all I ask is that you sign up on the race site to try to generate more media attention to the event. If you want to earn a T-shirt and/or a medal - just make a small donation to the hospital. Thanks for your consideration!

https://give.franciscanhospital.org/brighton/events/road-to-hope/e41...
2014-12-20 11:34 AM

User image

Expert
Kudo's to Scott for being the first to post on our new thread! Here's the link to the new http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Prost!
2014-12-21 6:58 PM

User image

Expert
Woops - Try this link:http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=527147&posts=8&page=1

Edited by Qua17 2014-12-21 7:00 PM
2014-12-21 7:19 PM

User image

Expert
Hey all - I've been posting up a storm in the new forum so I thought I would share this here so the new people don't think I'm the only one in the forum.

Today, I did my 25 mile Thank You Run for my son's rehab hospital. We had a ton of people participate and it was nice to give thanks - but the walk/run really sucked. I started feeling tired around the 10 mile mark and my body started giving out with 10 miles to go. Not working out for two months due to my sore calf really made it a struggle. I finished in 7:26 but it hurt more than my IM. It's 8:12pm and I'm going to bed.

For the record - I celebrated with a Double Bastard Ale. A little too malty for me. But a good celebratory brew!

I need to get my butt in gear. Night everyone!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 50181 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19319 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.