BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2014-07-25 7:07 PM
in reply to: sandishr

User image

Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open
I will be at 26/28 assuming I make it home today...bad news is I've gotten enough faster on my bike that I have to count two legs as one workout. :-) Actually...I've been resting a bit this week after the race on Sunday. Less intentional than the fact that we had horrible weather and thunderstorms. Wednesday I noticed a definite sense of....dissatisfaction, unease...not sure how to describe it, but it was pretty obvious my body missed the training and activity of working out fairly strenuously most days. Signed up for a neighborhood 5K fundraiser tomorrow and am meeting a friend for an OWS on Sunday. Now I just need to figure out where & when I'm doing my next tri. :-)

Good luck to all this weekend!

Sandi

2014-07-25 8:41 PM
in reply to: sandishr

User image

, Vermont
Thanks, Sandi! The nerves are starting to get going!!
2014-07-26 7:43 AM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Expert
Originally posted by MOlsen

Went for a bike ride today as a final workout before my sprint triathlon this weekend and rode most of the bike course. I've done it before so I know the terrain, however the wind killed me. On the way back there was a steady headwind (edit: 10-20mph) making even the down hill segments feel like up hill and it felt like I was over cooking my legs. It it's like this on Sunday I probably won't beat my time from last year, even on the faster bike!

Mark - I hope you prove yourself wrong and crush it! There is a lot of time between now and the race. Rest up, sit on the couch and play the Sorry honey - I've got a race tomorrow card!
2014-07-26 7:52 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Originally posted by aviatrix802

25/28 with my last workout before the race Sunday.
OWS for 0.58 or so. Felt good, glad I went.
Went to the chiropractor this afternoon. Hoping for a great sleep tonight as I won't tomorrow night!

Cheers everyone...no beveraging for me until Sunday after the race!
Best,
Jenn

I like the way you motivate yourself! That beer is gonna taste awesome! Enjoy every minute and don't forget to enjoy every moment!

Edited: Jenn - when you start feeling the nerves - remember all the hard work you put into your training. You are ready and you will crush it!

Edited by Qua17 2014-07-26 8:05 AM
2014-07-26 8:38 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Had a moment I'd like to share with you all:

Yesterday I did my last long ride and I was really pushing it towards the end. With about 15 miles left in the ride, I ran out of gas. I was done. There was nothing left! I thought about quitting but I just found a way to keep going. And I managed to finish. It wasn't pretty.

And that's why we do tri - it's about doing what was previously impossible. Finishing was cool (and there was beer which made it better) - but it was pushing past my old limits that I'm psyched about. I hope you each experience that gift. It makes all that hard work totally worth it. Totally worth it!

2014-07-27 6:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Good morning everyone. I'm off to the beach to swim, then a run, then brunch with the in-laws.

Finished a 107 mile ride yesterday, with an 18mph average. Riding with my friend Jason, a cat4 cyclist and triathlete. He's a bunch stronger than me, so it was a good test. Won't be working that hard at IMWI, that's for certain.

On salt tabs - yesterday's ride was the first I took them, and it seems to make a huge difference. I am a heavy sweater, and it's not uncommon for me to be crusted in salt at the end of a race. After Racine, it looked like my triceps were rolled on kosher salt. I also started taking 250mg of magnesium twice daily, since that mineral is harder to uptake and preliminary research seems to indicate that long-term training drains magnesium; it's also linked to low testosterone, so it could help on my issues there as well. Doesn't seem to hurt, and seems to be helping.

David, you continue to inspire me. I know you're going to have a great day at IMMT. Your tenacity and dedication alone is enough to get you to the finish line.

2014-07-27 6:39 AM

User image

New user
Madrid
That´s an amazing feeling Dave, and you are right, at some point most of us have that feeling "Should I quit now?". Yesterday I did my first Oly and was about to stop after the first 5k lap, but....death before DNF!!
Here is the the race report:
http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

And my liquid medal.

(IMG_5960.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_5960.JPG (97KB - 3 downloads)
2014-07-27 5:10 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Juancho

That´s an amazing feeling Dave, and you are right, at some point most of us have that feeling "Should I quit now?". Yesterday I did my first Oly and was about to stop after the first 5k lap, but....death before DNF!!
Here is the the race report:
http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

And my liquid medal.

Wow - that's the prettiest medal I have ever seen. Off to read the race report! Congrats on your first OLY. Kudos to you!
2014-07-27 5:18 PM

User image

Expert
Jenn and Mark - hod did you guys do? I'm dying to know!
2014-07-27 6:32 PM

User image

, Vermont
Soooooo, here it goes. This is the 30th anniversary of the triathlon and it was the first time it's ever been cancelled. Yes, you read that right, cancelled. They postponed the start due to weather - thunder/lightning, heavy rain and it wouldn't let up. They had to get it going by 9:30 for traffic concerns or it wouldn't go...cells rolled through in wave after wave. It did clear up midday (thunderstorm again as I type now) as we sat on a friend's deck drinking home brew! (only good thing today).
A few friends of mine who were going to do it may get together Wednesday and do the course ourselves and earn our medal (they gave them out in the packet pickup so I feel it's a bit tainted). Interestingly they still ran the Lake Placid IM. They must not have gotten the lightning we did.
I am now going to make calls and check schedules to see if I can't fit a sprint tri in on the 10th or 17th and maybe go for the Oly on August 30th in Lake George. I know right now some things I want to work on (more speed work in running as I've focused so much on biking and swimming for one and getting still more ows in, and definitely some core work). I've also got the Bay State Half Mary on October.
Anyway, I'm posting a picture of my bike, back in the garage after waiting in the rain (note the lovely grocery bag on the seat). It is sad and wants to go for a ride.
I am hoping Mark had better luck today!
Cheers all!
Jenn

(sad bike due to race cancellation.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
sad bike due to race cancellation.jpg (890KB - 2 downloads)
2014-07-27 11:01 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Expert

Soooooo, here it goes. This is the 30th anniversary of the triathlon and it was the first time it's ever been cancelled. Yes, you read that right, cancelled. They postponed the start due to weather - thunder/lightning, heavy rain and it wouldn't let up. They had to get it going by 9:30 for traffic concerns or it wouldn't go...cells rolled through in wave after wave. It did clear up midday (thunderstorm again as I type now) as we sat on a friend's deck drinking home brew! (only good thing today).
A few friends of mine who were going to do it may get together Wednesday and do the course ourselves and earn our medal (they gave them out in the packet pickup so I feel it's a bit tainted). Interestingly they still ran the Lake Placid IM. They must not have gotten the lightning we did.
I am now going to make calls and check schedules to see if I can't fit a sprint tri in on the 10th or 17th and maybe go for the Oly on August 30th in Lake George. I know right now some things I want to work on (more speed work in running as I've focused so much on biking and swimming for one and getting still more ows in, and definitely some core work). I've also got the Bay State Half Mary on October.
Anyway, I'm posting a picture of my bike, back in the garage after waiting in the rain (note the lovely grocery bag on the seat). It is sad and wants to go for a ride.
I am hoping Mark had better luck today!
Cheers all!
Jenn

That totally blows! After all that hard work, you deserved to enjoy every moment of your race... Well, at least there wasn't dozens of guys crying in their beer from having gotten chicked by you! Seriously, the important thing is that you are safe and will get to race again someday soon. Let us know how that rain-day make up goes on Wed.

2014-07-28 7:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Poor luck, friends. Knock on wood, I've had great weather for all my races.

Also, some good news: my new wheelset finally arrived. The stock set are aluminium clinchers, in 30mm and 60mm. The new carbon clinchers are, *ahem*, 90mm, and less than half the weight. Also, they go "whoop whoop" during hard acceleration

Now, if only my quads can cash the checks these wheels write . . .

Edited by mirthfuldragon 2014-07-28 7:03 AM

(20140727_175153.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
20140727_175153.jpg (54KB - 2 downloads)
2014-07-28 8:02 AM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

, Vermont
Ah, you were smart enough to take the picture with the chain on the big gear...I wasn't. (still set up easy for my anticipated transition)

Heading to the pool for a longer swim (2,500-3,000 yds) so no one can see my tears....LOL kidding. Pouring rain still so no bike except on the trainer; maybe a run later. Time to start uping the distances if I want to do Little George on August 30th! I would have loved to have raced to work on transitions but I also know I can prepare better for the next one looking back. (remaining positive) I think if I can still get into the sprint for Aug 10th it will be more to see how transitions go and get a feeling for a race environment to prepare for the Oly on Aug 30th. Aug 30th will be hilly terrain so I need to be prepared. We leave on vacation this Friday but I'll have a lake to get ows in, I'll bring my bike, and running is a no-brainer. The nice thing is where I'm going is in the foothills of the Adirondacks so lots of hill work to prepare. That being said, the sprint tri is on the last day of vacation so I certainly won't have slept much or well leading up to it so I'll manage my expectations.

I hope everyone's training is going well!!
Best,
Jenn
2014-07-28 9:11 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

Also, some good news: my new wheelset finally arrived. The stock set are aluminium clinchers, in 30mm and 60mm. The new carbon clinchers are, *ahem*, 90mm, and less than half the weight. Also, they go "whoop whoop" during hard acceleration

Just think of all the matches you'll burn with those new wheels! Enjoy the sound and the speed!
2014-07-28 9:22 AM

User image

Expert

Ah, you were smart enough to take the picture with the chain on the big gear...I wasn't. (still set up easy for my anticipated transition)

Heading to the pool for a longer swim (2,500-3,000 yds) so no one can see my tears....LOL kidding. Pouring rain still so no bike except on the trainer; maybe a run later. Time to start uping the distances if I want to do Little George on August 30th! I would have loved to have raced to work on transitions but I also know I can prepare better for the next one looking back. (remaining positive) I think if I can still get into the sprint for Aug 10th it will be more to see how transitions go and get a feeling for a race environment to prepare for the Oly on Aug 30th. Aug 30th will be hilly terrain so I need to be prepared. We leave on vacation this Friday but I'll have a lake to get ows in, I'll bring my bike, and running is a no-brainer. The nice thing is where I'm going is in the foothills of the Adirondacks so lots of hill work to prepare. That being said, the sprint tri is on the last day of vacation so I certainly won't have slept much or well leading up to it so I'll manage my expectations.

I hope everyone's training is going well!!
Best,
Jenn

Jenn - Adding hills into your workouts will change your life! Seriously - integrating hill workouts into your week training will make you and stronger and faster rider. My trainer gave me a good piece of advice when it comes to prepping for a race with hills - add hills to all of your rides that are bigger than the hills in your race. When he first told me to do this - I thought he was nuts and I expected my legs would turn into Jello on every ride. BUt as it turns out - he was it has changed the way that I think of hills. Having done rides that are harder than my race - my brain no longer freaks out when I see a hill. I've actually started to enjoy them. I wish the same for you!
2014-07-28 10:04 AM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Originally posted by Qua17

Jenn and Mark - hod did you guys do? I'm dying to know!

Overall I did pretty good! Fortunately there wasn't much wind so my bike time was 5 minutes faster than last year. As much as I would like to attribute that to a better engine, due to my lack of solid bike training I have to credit it to moving up from my hybrid commuter bike to the faster TT bike. The run was a touch slower due to the mid-day heat and some leg cramping at the start. I'll link to the race report once I have it written up.

Juan: Congrats on your first Oly! I'm going to be taking on the same challenge later in September. Time to step up my bike and swim training!

2014-07-28 11:02 AM

User image

New user
Madrid
That must be so frustrating....still have quite a few races ahead, burn that frustration with harder training, it will show in your next race!
2014-07-28 11:04 AM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

New user
Madrid
Thanks Mark, look forward to read our RR!
2014-07-28 11:04 AM

User image

New user
Madrid
....very, very jealous of those wheels and their "whoop whoop" sound.....
2014-07-28 11:07 AM

User image

The whoop whoop is an added feature that wheel makers don't advertise. Aside from reduced rolling resistance, it scares the crap out of unsuspecting racers ahead of you. Sometimes they even fall off their bikes in terror allowing you to move up a spot. :P 

Edited by adempsey10 2014-07-28 11:07 AM
2014-07-28 1:27 PM

User image

, Vermont
26/28 with a 2300 yd swim (didn't have time to get in anymore). (lots of tears to hide after the cancellation hahaha). Great swim, feel really good and strong and happily fatigued.

400 warm-up (200 free, 100 back, 100 breast),
500 free,
100 kick,
100 free,
100 pull,
500 free,
10 x 50 sprints at 45 sec with 10-15 sec rests,
100 free cool-down.

Yes, Dave, I agree on the hills!! I have one route I love that has a "grade 4" hill on a 12 mile route. The hill is quite long with varying pitches. I've been using that route a fair amount. I think I may start running it twice to get two of those in there (that would be my Oly right there!). I am fortunate that there are a lot of hills where I am. Sometimes it would actually be nice to get a flat ride!! I'm going to research a little closer what to expect and I may take a drive down for a week (my inlaws live in Glens Falls, NY next to Lake George) and ride/run the route until I know it. I may even see if I can hook up with their triathlon club for a week and tag along. They seem friendly on their website.

Cheers!

2014-07-28 2:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

Nice setup Charles! I chickened out and got the 60mm front cause I wasn't sure I could handle deeper in a crosswind.

(20140728_153336.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
20140728_153336.jpg (74KB - 3 downloads)
2014-07-28 2:41 PM
in reply to: Burd

User image

If only I could afford a bike like that... such sweet rides floating around this forum.. 

2014-07-28 2:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Alex wasn't dead just MIA. I have been so busy with life and training I haven't had a chance to keep up in the group. I'm sitting at 25/28 but should make it. I was out of town for 5 days and it put a hurting on my training.

I did my first open water swim that wasn't a race the other day. It went so well we are going back tonight for a follow up. That is so much more fun than swimming in a pool. I am trying to build the nerves to handle the swim for an oly Aug 23rd then the HIM on Nov 9th.

Rock on folks and keep on keeping on!

Lots of racing and training going on. The BDAAS seems to been another success. Thanks David for getting this all together.
2014-07-29 8:06 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Burd

Alex wasn't dead just MIA. I have been so busy with life and training I haven't had a chance to keep up in the group. I'm sitting at 25/28 but should make it. I was out of town for 5 days and it put a hurting on my training.

I did my first open water swim that wasn't a race the other day. It went so well we are going back tonight for a follow up. That is so much more fun than swimming in a pool. I am trying to build the nerves to handle the swim for an oly Aug 23rd then the HIM on Nov 9th.

Rock on folks and keep on keeping on!

Lots of racing and training going on. The BDAAS seems to been another success. Thanks David for getting this all together.

Alright! Nancy boy is back! Sorry to hear that life has been so busy. Hope this week is better... Glad to hear about the success with the OWS. They can be fun and will serve you well for your OLY and HIM. Hows your bike/run training going?

As for your kind words - you're welcome. But a good deal of the credit for this group goes to DH who started it back in 2012. I'm just trying to repay the debt I owe to him for all of his invaluable support during my first year. Plus, I'm in this group for my own selfish reasons - it's great hanging out with you all. My wife is fantastic and supportive but tri isn't her thing. It's great to be apart of a group that sees things in the same demented way I do

Prost!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 50235 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19338 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.