BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum--OPEN! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 40

2014-07-10 6:24 AM
in reply to: Terps421

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Subject: RE: How are you doing?
Good morning Grays.
I sure hope everyone is enjoying watching TourDeFrance! Yesterday they were just talking and mentioned gears. What gearing are the pros using and also explain the gearing.

2014-07-10 2:34 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Subject: RE: Swim Endurance
Originally posted by k9car363

• Now if we can just get you working on proper sighting!  

• Hi Scott - I was thinking next race I will use a periscope attached to my goggles - sighting issue solved -
    2014-07-10 8:56 PM
    in reply to: JREDFLY

User image

Veteran
    Kennebunkport, Qatar
    Originally posted by JREDFLY

• Hi Scott - I was thinking next race I will use a periscope attached to my goggles - sighting issue solved -

How about a GPS enabled Heads up display for your goggles? I like to go high tech

Hopefully your not like a friend of mine that we always have to keep a leash on, he seems to head out to sea if we don't. He cannot swim straight to save his life?
    2014-07-10 10:30 PM
    in reply to: Terps421

User image

Regular
    East Wenatchee, Washington
    Originally posted by Terps421

Originally posted by lutzman

Hey Steve -

How are you feeling?  Starting to make some progress?

Any word on your bike yet?

When Cavendish went into the ground on Saturday, I thought, "That must have been what it looked like when Steve went down."

Hope your mending well.

Hi Scott:

I haven't looked at my bike yet. I just got it over the weekend. But with only one good arm, I'm waiting on my son to give me a hand pulling out of the box. It should be a real adventure based on the skills(or lack thereof) of the packing crew!

Steve

Steve, bless you for your patience and dedication. I hope you are not still in too much pain. I find it amazing that you continue to mentor everyone here with your wisdom and experience while undergoing recovery from such serious injuries. I hope each week gets better and better!

Hey Linda:

Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate it.

Best,

Steve
    2014-07-11 10:14 AM
    in reply to: lutzman

User image

Expert
    Missouri

Hey everyone!  Been a crazy 3-4 weeks at work but I think things are finally going to settle down a bit.  Hopefully that means I'll be able to check in a little more often.  What's everyone up to this weekend?  Anyone else racing?  I got the athlete instructions yesterday for my race on Sunday.  They've changed the swim a little bit - still the same distance (about 500m) but it's now an out and back instead of a point to point.  And they are letting us do a practice swim Saturday morning before the kid's race starts so I'll be able to test the waters at the lake.

Hope everyone has a great weekend and good luck to anyone else racing!
    Janet

2014-07-11 5:23 PM
    in reply to: soccermom15

User image

Spencer, New York
    Originally posted by soccermom15

Hey everyone!  Been a crazy 3-4 weeks at work but I think things are finally going to settle down a bit.  Hopefully that means I'll be able to check in a little more often.  What's everyone up to this weekend?  Anyone else racing?  I got the athlete instructions yesterday for my race on Sunday.  They've changed the swim a little bit - still the same distance (about 500m) but it's now an out and back instead of a point to point.  And they are letting us do a practice swim Saturday morning before the kid's race starts so I'll be able to test the waters at the lake.

Janet

Good luck in your race!
    Deb

2014-07-11 7:05 PM
    in reply to: soccermom15

User image

Regular
    Originally posted by soccermom15

Janet

Have fun, be safe, post up your race report.

Go get 'em.
    2014-07-11 7:43 PM
    in reply to: 0

User image

Official BT Coach
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Gold member

Originally posted by KWDreamun

Good morning Grays.

I sure hope everyone is enjoying watching TourDeFrance! Yesterday they were just talking and mentioned gears. What gearing are the pros using and also explain the gearing.

Hey Karl -

The majority of the guys in the Tour de France are likely using standard cranks - 53/39. I won't surprise me to learn that some will change over to a standard crank - 50/34 - when they get to the mountains.  I read somewhere that nearly all of them use an 11-25 cassette.  To confuse the matter further, several of the competitors are using Osymetric Chain Rings.  A 52 tooth Osymetric Chain Ring equates to a 55 tooth circular chain ring on the downstroke.

I'm a believer in Osymetric Chain Rings.  I realized a 25 watt increase in power the moment I put them on my bike (It took about half an hour to get use to them and then I was "off to the races!")  Not trying to sell them, just sayin'.

Instead of trying to explain gearing and Osymetric Chain Rings, here are a couple links.  The first one is an excellent article on standard vs. compact cranks and it has a nice discussion on different cassettes and the impact on overall gearing.

http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/cycling/2011/05/compact-cranks-vs-standard-cranks-gearing-implications/

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2012/09/osymetric-gimmick-or-miracle/

http://www.osymetricusa.com/

Edited by k9car363 2014-07-11 7:49 PM
    2014-07-11 8:48 PM

User image

New user
    Hingham, MA

Hey Steve -

How are you feeling?  Starting to make some progress?

Any word on your bike yet?

When Cavendish went into the ground on Saturday, I thought, "That must have been what it looked like when Steve went down."

Hope your mending well.

Hi Scott:

I haven't looked at my bike yet. I just got it over the weekend. But with only one good arm, I'm waiting on my son to give me a hand pulling out of the box. It should be a real adventure based on the skills(or lack thereof) of the packing crew!

Steve

Steve, bless you for your patience and dedication. I hope you are not still in too much pain. I find it amazing that you continue to mentor everyone here with your wisdom and experience while undergoing recovery from such serious injuries. I hope each week gets better and better!

Hey Linda:

Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate it.

Best,

Steve

Hi Steve - You are in my thoughts and I hope you are on the mend. I had a shoulder injury before and it was way more painful than any leg injury I ever had. I can't even imagine the pain you must be going through. Please hang in there and and take your time healing . I think I remember someone (meaning you) telling me that last year and I came back too early and delayed my recovery process. Enjoy the Tour de France and this time with your family.

I love your attitude, you are truly an inspriation.

Have a great weekend!

James
    2014-07-12 12:52 AM

User image

Subject: What's everyone doing this weekend, and Friday Night Swim Races
    I've already completed my big event of the weekend. One of the local tri clubs (http://www.weraisethebar.com/) offers three Friday Night Swim races each summer. They offer three distances: 1/2 mile, 1.2 miles, and 2.4 miles. I did the 1/2 mile race tonight. I finished in 18 min 20 sec, which works out to 2m11s per 100 yards (if I did my math correctly). I took it easy and felt like I still had a lot left in the tank. I was roughly in the middle of the pack. I was third place (out of five) and won a bag of cookies.

Anyone have any events this weekend?

Scott I.
    2014-07-12 5:21 AM
    in reply to: EchoLkScott

User image

Spencer, New York
    Subject: RE: What's everyone doing this weekend, and Friday Night Swim Races
    Originally posted by EchoLkScott

I've already completed my big event of the weekend. One of the local tri clubs (http://www.weraisethebar.com/) offers three Friday Night Swim races each summer. They offer three distances: 1/2 mile, 1.2 miles, and 2.4 miles. I did the 1/2 mile race tonight. I finished in 18 min 20 sec, which works out to 2m11s per 100 yards (if I did my math correctly). I took it easy and felt like I still had a lot left in the tank. I was roughly in the middle of the pack. I was third place (out of five) and won a bag of cookies.

Scott I.

Great swim, but you shorted yourself in the math I think. If it was a true 1/2 mile, that is 880 yards, which makes your pace 2 min 5 seconds. Even more terrific!
    Deb

2014-07-12 7:21 AM
    in reply to: Mountaindan

User image

New user
    Hingham, MA
    Originally posted by Mountaindan

How about a GPS enabled Heads up display for your goggles? I like to go high tech

Hopefully your not like a friend of mine that we always have to keep a leash on, he seems to head out to sea if we don't. He cannot swim straight to save his life?

Hi Dan,

I like it, where can I pick up one of those gps goggles?

Loading up the kayaks and heading up to Maine today. I can't wait to get up there.

Going to try and stay on top of my game while on vacation. Looking forward to doing some of your serious hills.

Hopefully the extra work will offset a Red's Lobster Roll and a Bet's Fish Fry.

Have a great weekend everyone!!!

James
    2014-07-12 8:27 AM

User image

New user
    Hingham, MA
    Subject: RE: What's everyone doing this weekend, and Friday Night Swim Races
    Originally posted by EchoLkScott

Scott I.

Nice job - Congrats!

I could swim that fast if I knew there were cookies involved (Ha! Ha!).

2014-07-12 3:18 PM

User image

Subject: Heat Advisory in Western Washington
    The national weather service has issued an extreme heat advisory this weekend for Western Washington. The humidity is expected to be up around 50% and the temperature will spike near 90!

I can hear you folks laughing!

Scott I.
    2014-07-12 6:27 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
    West Chester, Ohio
    Subject: RE: Heat Advisory in Western Washington

Originally posted by EchoLkScott The national weather service has issued an extreme heat advisory this weekend for Western Washington. The humidity is expected to be up around 50% and the temperature will spike near 90! I can hear you folks laughing! Scott I.

Well, that may be extreme for you....but living in Richmond VA--that weather is nice.  We are usually 90-100 degrees and 80% humidity by now.

I won't laugh though.  A few years ago we had an earthquake and all my west coast friends laughed at the near panic that set in over a 3-4 on the Richter scale.   I reminded them that we had a hurricane coming into town and did they want to learn how to live through that?   Within days we had Hurricane Irene and some tornadoes blow through.  Irene left my neighborhood without power for 8 days.  Yeah, my husband and I bought a generator after that.

2014-07-12 9:54 PM
    in reply to: k9car363

User image

Regular

Originally posted by KWDreamun

Good morning Grays.

Hey Karl -

The majority of the guys in the Tour de France are likely using standard cranks - 53/39. I won't surprise me to learn that some will change over to a standard crank - 50/34 - when they get to the mountains.  I read somewhere that nearly all of them use an 11-25 cassette.  To confuse the matter further, several of the competitors are using Osymetric Chain Rings.  A 52 tooth Osymetric Chain Ring equates to a 55 tooth circular chain ring on the downstroke.

I'm a believer in Osymetric Chain Rings.  I realized a 25 watt increase in power the moment I put them on my bike (It took about half an hour to get use to them and then I was "off to the races!")  Not trying to sell them, just sayin'.

Instead of trying to explain gearing and Osymetric Chain Rings, here are a couple links.  /

Scott--I had one of those on my mountain bike in 1990. I thought it was fabulous. I was doing marketing work for Raleigh cycle and they can out with these cranks on their higher end mountain bikes. So naturally, I grabbed one. But the "cycling officianado's" sort of made fun of it, called it a gimmick, which really killed it. At that point it totally dropped out of favor. Nice to see it back.

Steve

2014-07-12 10:00 PM
    in reply to: JREDFLY

User image

Regular

Hi Steve - You are in my thoughts and I hope you are on the mend. I had a shoulder injury before and it was way more painful than any leg injury I ever had. I can't even imagine the pain you must be going through. Please hang in there and and take your time healing . I think I remember someone (meaning you) telling me that last year and I came back too early and delayed my recovery process. Enjoy the Tour de France and this time with your family.

I love your attitude, you are truly an inspriation.

Have a great weekend!

James

Thanks James. I'm trying to hang in there but it's a challenge. I hurt when I drive a car. Or breathe deeply. Crash was five weeks ago today. I've now pretty much concluded I'm going to dump the hope to try to go to Worlds in September. I just don't see the point of trying to get back into form. My WSU Cougs are playing Rutgers that week in a Thursday night game in Seattle, so I think I take the family to the game instead...and then take in the Mariners vs. The Nationals the following night. It won't be quite the same, but at least I know it will be fun for the family.

Best,

Steve
    2014-07-13 3:00 AM

User image

Master
    Sendai, Japan

Originally posted by EchoLkScott The national weather service has issued an extreme heat advisory this weekend for Western Washington. The humidity is expected to be up around 50% and the temperature will spike near 90! I can hear you folks laughing! Scott I.

LOL...that is what I ran in yesterday (about 90 and 60-65% humidity), but it did not warrant an advisory.   The good news is that my right hip seems to be healed enough to allow me to get out and pound the pavement.   I got out for 5 runs last week - 4 of them were in the 3-6km range, but yesterday I did 13km (that included 30 seconds of walking after each and every km).   Now I'm trying to figure out how if I can get myself to the point where I can do the run part (42.2km) of my triathlon at the beginning of Sept.   I've already decided to eliminate any intensity from my run training and keep my pacing in the 9-10 min/mile range.   I guess the real key will be whether I can ramp up my long run distance relatively quickly.

2014-07-13 4:56 AM
    in reply to: dcon

User image

Expert
    Tallahassee
    Dan, I hope you continue to heal and you continue to have good runs.

Talk about humidity...lol

Well I'm heading out of town AGAIN for work so I'll leave ya'll alone for a week. I'll be in Miami.

Still running a lot but IT band is starting to bother me some... I'm starting to roll it a lot and lots of stretching.

Ya'll have a GREAT week.
    2014-07-13 7:26 AM

New user
    Wooster, Ohio
    Steve, I hope that you enjoy your games with the family. Your injuries will heal and you'll be right back in the tri-life but for now just take the time to heal and enjoy your family.
    Linda
    2014-07-13 11:40 AM

Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum--OPEN!
    Hi, my name is Katherine.

I have been following the 16 week couch potato to sprint program for 3x/week. I am late getting started on the forum, but I would really like to join. I have lots of questions! This is my first triathlon. I was not a couch potato when I started, but the plan seemed like a good one for me - and it has worked out well.

I plan to participate in the Ramblin' Rose triathlon in Charlotte NC in September. My two sisters invited me to join them. Neither of them lives close by, so it has been great to have something more to share with them. And we encourage each other so that is great too.

For a little bio on me: I am 55 years old, happily married (just celebrated 32 years together), three grown children, ages 22, 24, 26. I was a caregiver for my parents in the home from October 2009 to August 2013. My parents moved into assisted living last August and my husband and I built a home on a Lake about 15 minutes from Mom and Dad. We just moved in about a month ago.

My biking/running is all on two-lane country roads. My swimming is all in the lake. My strength training is in my basement with resistance bands, a balance ball, and a mat. I have a friend who is a certified personal trainer that designed a program for me.

So far things are going pretty well, though lately I feel like by the time I get to my "rest day" I REALLY NEED the day off.

2014-07-13 1:42 PM
    in reply to: krings82

User image

Spencer, New York
    Originally posted by krings82

So far things are going pretty well, though lately I feel like by the time I get to my "rest day" I REALLY NEED the day off.

Hi Katherine, welcome! This is a very friendly group.
    I feel exactly the same about my rest days. One problem I have is using them for things that are not really rest, like mowing the bank at my pond. I've learned that real rest is needed!
    Like you, I live in the country and I swim mostly in my pond. It took me years to discover that a neighboring school district has a pool that is open to the public. Free!
    Have fun in your race. My first tri was a relay with my 2 grown daughters. Since then, I've been hooked.
    Deb
    2014-07-13 7:22 PM

User image

Subject: Friday Night Swim Races - what next?
    The results are posted for the OWS race last Friday.

1/2 Mile:
    The winner of the 1/2 mile swim had a pace of 1:15 (sec/100yrd). I chatted with him before the start. He was using this as an easy warm-up before his real race of the weekend - the 11 mile Portland Bridge Swim (http://portlandbridgeswim.com/)! I wonder what his pace would have been had he been going all out! The slowest male finisher came in with a 2:44 pace.

My pace was 2:05 (thank you Deb for pointing out my earlier error). I felt really good at the finish and think I could have gone twice the distance at a 2:05 pace.

1.2 Mile:
    The fastest man had a pace of 1:27 and the slowest pace was 2:33. In the unlikely event that I could have sustained my 2:05 pace for the entire 1.2 miles, I would have finished 15th out of 24.

2.4 Mile:
    The fastest man had a pace of 1:21 and the slowest pace was 2:50. It's interesting that the fastest 2.4 finisher was swimming faster than the fastest 1.2 finisher.

My Question:

The final Friday Night Swim race is a month away. Should I enter the 1/2 mile race again and try to improve my speed, or should I test my endurance and enter the 1.2 mile race?

Background:
    I've done one mini-sprint triathlon (1/4 mile swim) and this 1/2 mile OWS race. I'm planning on 2 or 3 more triathlons this year: a repeat of the mini-sprint I did before (they offer two in a season so you can gage your progress) and 1 or 2 sprints with a swim of 500 yards each. Next year (2015) I'd like to move up to Olympic distance.

Thanks!
    Scott I.
    2014-07-13 7:27 PM
    in reply to: krings82

User image

Welcome Katherine!

I also started this year, and I also have found I REALLY need my rest days. I also need more sleep than before. I suspect this is normal - our bodies need rest to recover from the strain of training.

Scott I.
    2014-07-13 7:33 PM

Yeah, Scott, I think that I am likely not getting enough sleep. It is hard to fit everything in!
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum--OPEN! Rss Feed  

of 40

RELATED POSTS

Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58

Started by Qua17
    Views: 47291 Posts: 1446

2014-12-21 7:19 PM Qua17

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
    Views: 50383 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
    Views: 19403 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
    Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31