BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum--OPEN! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 40

2014-07-18 6:22 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Spencer, New York
Subject: RE: At last, a successful lake swim
Originally posted by k9car363

I see no reason to do another long swim there.  You will be much better served doing intervals before the race. 

I believe I was already hearing your voice in my head saying just that!
Deb

2014-07-18 9:22 PM
in reply to: ok2try

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
I've been busy with work lately and also six weeks into calf muscle rehab, so a bit off the grid lately. I'll have to catch up a bit:

Katherine: Welcome to the group!

Deb: Nice work on the swim, especially in Cayuga. That water is no joke!. I've been on that lake in late December while duck hunting and it can be downright nasty.

Janet: Congrats on a great race. Sounds like you nailed it.

Steve: So good to hear of your healing progress. My guess is with all the enforced recovery time to plan your off season training, you'll hit that new age group like a wrecking ball next spring.

All: I've read and re-read the posts on calf cramping,etc. Sure sounds like a common problem. Isn't there a magic pill we can take??

As far as getting back in the game, i've received clearance to start easy runs later this week, which is good. I have a sprint event on August 3rd. I've been doing PT prescribed stretching and strengthening work along with increased biking and swimming to compensate for no running.

Finally, my wife and I are heading to Green River Reservoir in northern Vermont on Sunday with friends for a 3 day remote camping trip. The campsites are only accessible by canoes or kayaks, no motors allowed. You carry in and carry out everything: tents, food, supplies,etc. Needless to say, this is a perfect place for a few OWS sessions. So the deal is that my wife and her friends will take turns paddling along as spotters for me each morning, and in return I'll cook breakfast in the dutch oven after my workout. Seems like a fair trade off.

Hope everyone has a great weekend of racing and training.

Dave

2014-07-19 11:33 AM

Deb,

I am so impressed with the way you stuck with this over a long time. Good for you!

~ Katherine
2014-07-19 11:45 AM
in reply to: Mountaindan

Subject: RE: sore spot...
Thank to all for the suggestions on the leg cramps. Definitely more of a problem when I swim the longer times. So hopefully will get better with more time in the lake. In the lake I never push off a wall - so that's not it. But the race WILL be in a pool. It is pretty short - quarter mile - so I hope I will get through that with no cramps.

I will also try the electrolytes. It certainly can't hurt!

2014-07-19 11:47 AM
in reply to: DJP_19

Dave,

I'm jealous! I would love to do that camping ;-)

~ Katherine
2014-07-19 5:44 PM

User image

Spencer, New York
Originally posted by DJP_19

Finally, my wife and I are heading to Green River Reservoir in northern Vermont on Sunday with friends for a 3 day remote camping trip. The campsites are only accessible by canoes or kayaks, no motors allowed. You carry in and carry out everything: tents, food, supplies,etc. Needless to say, this is a perfect place for a few OWS sessions. So the deal is that my wife and her friends will take turns paddling along as spotters for me each morning, and in return I'll cook breakfast in the dutch oven after my workout. Seems like a fair trade off.

Hope everyone has a great weekend of racing and training.

Dave

I didn't know there was such a wilderness area in Vermont. I did a similar trip (dare I say it) 40 years ago in Algonquin Provincial Park in Canada. I still remember it as one of the most spectacular experiences of my whole life. Not the swimming part: camping, portaging, paddling, loons, moose. You will have a wonderful time!
BTW I see you live in Farmington. I grew up in Newington, Almost neighbors.
Deb

2014-07-19 7:52 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by DJP_19

. . . Finally, my wife and I are heading to Green River Reservoir in northern Vermont on Sunday with friends for a 3 day remote camping trip. The campsites are only accessible by canoes or kayaks, no motors allowed. You carry in and carry out everything: tents, food, supplies,etc. Needless to say, this is a perfect place for a few OWS sessions. So the deal is that my wife and her friends will take turns paddling along as spotters for me each morning, and in return I'll cook breakfast in the dutch oven after my workout. Seems like a fair trade off . . .

Dave

Oh my gosh that sounds like a good time.  Where do I sign up?

2014-07-21 9:23 AM

New user
Wooster, Ohio
Awesome!!!!!!!
2014-07-21 12:51 PM
in reply to: lutzman

New user
Wooster, Ohio
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum--OPEN!
Yess !!!!!!! I finally made it up a killer hill that's been haunting me for over a month now! It wasn't pretty but I did it!
2014-07-21 5:47 PM
in reply to: dogwoman

Awesome! Doesn't have to be pretty to be a success. Progress, not perfection is my motto!
2014-07-21 6:28 PM

User image

Spencer, New York
Originally posted by dogwoman

Yess !!!!!!! I finally made it up a killer hill that's been haunting me for over a month now! It wasn't pretty but I did it!

Congrats on your killer hill! The little victories add up.
I'm glad we have this forum to share them on because our flesh-and-blood friends don't always know how much they mean.
Deb

2014-07-22 10:51 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
I apologize for not being on here to much but I've been out of town working SOOOOOO much and it is not stopping anytime soon. I will be out of town 2 weeks per month thru October as of now. Even though I'm not on here as much as I want, I'm thinking of ya'll.

Ya'll it sounds like everyone is doing pretty good, making it up hills, doing good in triathlons and even healing good. Congrats!!!

I just love the summer time, it is hot and humid and it makes for wonderful runs, (80 degres at 4:00am is FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!I) I even like the Florida humidity. I do hate the cold though, after last winter here in FL, I said I would never complain about the heat again!!!

I'm really doing a lot of running and kind of following the Hansen's plan, the best I can follow any plan but right now my knees have started to hurt, probably because I've increase the mileage and intensity so I've taken 2 days off of running, and biking instead.

Are ya'll enjoying Tour DeFrance. I love it, I missed a lot but have it recorded....

Ya'll take care!

karl

Edited by KWDreamun 2014-07-22 10:59 AM
2014-07-23 6:49 AM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Originally posted by dogwoman

Congrats! Great Job.

I still have this one hill by my house that I call my nemesis hill. Nothing better than conquering it for the first time.
2014-07-23 8:17 AM
in reply to: JREDFLY

New user
Wooster, Ohio
Thanks... Im still sore but I feel accomplished
2014-07-23 9:36 AM

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Nice work! It's such a great feeling to overcome a training obstacle.
2014-07-23 10:02 AM

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Originally posted by ok2try

I did a similar trip (dare I say it) 40 years ago in Algonquin Provincial Park in Canada. I still remember it as one of the most spectacular experiences of my whole life. Not the swimming part: camping, portaging, paddling, loons, moose. You will have a wonderful time!
BTW I see you live in Farmington. I grew up in Newington, Almost neighbors.
Deb

Deb,

This area is probably not as remote as Algonquin Park, but it felt very remote nonetheless. 30 miles north of Stowe, on the edge of the Vermont's Northeast Kingdom. We saw lots of wildlife and enjoyed both the spectacular scenery and the crystal clear lake water. We plan to return there.

RE: location- Yes, Newington is very close by. My brother lives there.

Dave

2014-07-23 10:03 AM
in reply to: krings82

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Katherine,

It was a bit of work, but lots of fun.
Dave
2014-07-23 10:14 AM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Scott,

It was surprisingly easy to find information. Vt State Park website had great info and maps.

Dave
2014-07-24 1:51 AM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan

Originally posted by dogwoman Thanks... Im still sore but I feel accomplished

Time to find a bigger, tougher hill

2014-07-24 1:52 AM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan

Originally posted by DJP_19 Scott, It was surprisingly easy to find information. Vt State Park website had great info and maps. Dave

So how was the swimming Dave?

2014-07-24 8:54 AM
in reply to: dcon

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
It was spectacular, Dan. Crystal clear water. I'd say 8-10 ft visibility.

Did a twice daily lap starting from camp and swimming across the bay, around a small island, and back. I'm guessing it was a 1/2 mile loop. I'll think of those conditions when I'm slurping dirty sea water during the ocean swim portion of my next sprint, lol.

Just for fun, here's a picture that my wife took during one of my morning laps.

(greenriverswim.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
greenriverswim.jpg (264KB - 2 downloads)

2014-07-24 10:00 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Dave - I am jealous.  I would love a weekend away from civilization!  Love the picture - wish I had a lake like that to swim in.  I might actually become a decent swimmer, lol!

Deb - congrats on conquering the hill.  I have one nearby me that I still can't make it all the way up although I'm getting closer

Looks like I'll be skipping the half marathon I had hoped to do in October.  My leg is still really bothering me, especially if I run longer than 30 minutes or so.  I was hoping that some added strength training and stretching would help but it was pretty sore after my run last night.  I know I should see the doctor about it, just can't seem to make myself go. 

2014-07-24 4:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Looks like a great place to swim, Unfortunately not that many clear lakes in the north east, at least from what I have found. I was used to most of them like that back home in the Sierra Nevada's.

I am sure glad that I am not training for an A race this year, my adventures in biking would put a definite damper in that training. Broken chains, flat tires, broken tire pumps, I think I need to keep close to home for a while I went the last few years with basically no problems and now, almost every time out. I had to walk 4 miles back to my car the other night, in my bike shoes, I must have sounded like a horse walking down the road, I had a good laugh every time I thought about what someone was thinking if they heard me walking down this quiet very dark country road. Kind of saddened by the state of society, as many cars passed by and not a one stopped to ask if they could help, so much for the neighborly small towns, maybe the sight of a 6'3" 230# man in Lycra was just too much to handle? No worries had a nice walk anyway, but I will need some new cleats, I guess next time I will bring my covers or some running shoes.

I hope everyone is enjoying their summer and training/ racing!
2014-07-24 10:12 PM
in reply to: Mountaindan

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Originally posted by Mountaindan

4 miles back to my car the other night, in my bike shoes

That really stinks.

Being a bike rider I always stop to ask if the person is OK. One of the first things I did when I started riding was to practice changing a flat tire and learn how to use a Co2 cartidge which I never used before. I quickly learned to fill the tube just a little before putting the tire on so it wouldn't pinch and pop. I am really surprised how many bike riders do not know how to change a flat. But in the event of a broken chain, tube pop or accident my cell phone always comes with me just in case.

Glad you got back to your car safely Dan.

BTW - Loved Maine, I have ot figure out a way to move up there.
2014-07-24 11:41 PM
in reply to: JREDFLY

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan

Dave:  that looks beautiful.  Your wife got a great shot.

Dan: bummer on the bike problems and sorry to hear that nobody stopped to offer some help.  Maybe time to have the LBS give your bike the once over.

Janet:  go see a doc or a good PT.  You may also want to take a look at this if you are going to take it easy for a while and want to work on improving your running muscles and form.  I did about the first two weeks worth while I was unable to run (wish I had started sooner).   You may need to cut back on the number of reps or sets.  My plan is to start from the beginning once I get through my racing season.

http://www.kinetic-revolution.com/30daychallenge/

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum--OPEN! Rss Feed  

of 40

RELATED POSTS

Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58

Started by Qua17
Views: 47325 Posts: 1446

2014-12-21 7:19 PM Qua17

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 50442 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19435 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31