BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum--OPEN! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 40

2014-08-05 8:06 AM
in reply to: ok2try

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Subject: RE: first race after layoff
Thanks, Scott and Deb, it was a fun day - and pain free.

Deb, first things first: CONGRATS ON THE WIN! Nice work.

Yes, my swim was in Long Island Sound. 1/2 mile in Niantic Bay. Nothing like a little seaweed and saltwater for breakfast.

Hey, that's a great tip about drafting behind other swimmers. I didn't realize it at the time, but maybe my decision to "mix it up" with the pack gave me some of the drafting benefits you mentioned.

You seem to have Transitions pretty well figured out. My T1 is pretty weak and my T2 is ok . I haven't practiced them, but think I need to.

On T1, I have stopped wearing socks, but have a difficult time getting a Tri Top on quickly over my wet body. It bunches up and I do too much tugging and pulling. I need to think about a new approach, either a different shirt or skipping it entirely.

Assume you put baby powder in both your bike and running shoes. Do you wear speed laces on your running shoes? Any other tips that have saved you time in T1/2?

Again, congrats on a great race.

Dave

2014-08-05 9:51 AM
in reply to: DJP_19

User image

Spencer, New York
Originally posted by DJP_19

You seem to have Transitions pretty well figured out. My T1 is pretty weak and my T2 is ok . I haven't practiced them, but think I need to.

On T1, I have stopped wearing socks, but have a difficult time getting a Tri Top on quickly over my wet body. It bunches up and I do too much tugging and pulling. I need to think about a new approach, either a different shirt or skipping it entirely.

Assume you put baby powder in both your bike and running shoes. Do you wear speed laces on your running shoes? Any other tips that have saved you time in T1/2?

Again, congrats on a great race.

Dave

Thanks Dave. I love the mutual support & congrats we give/get on this site.
Re T1: I wear my tri top under my wetsuit. If you don't wear a wetsuit, you could just wear the tri top anyway in the swim.
By the time I get to the transition area, I already have my wetsuit off down to my waist, and my cap, goggles & earplugs off, all done while running from the water.
I use lots of body glide on my legs prior to putting the wetsuit on. I think I noticed Sunday that after pushing it part way off my legs, I just step on the suit with one foot while I pull the other foot out. I don't even have to bend down.
My shoes are already attached to the bike, so all I have to do is put on my sunglasses & helmet. I spend some of the time hanging around before the race repeating that motion at least 20 times, sometimes 40, so my hands know how to do it without thought.
Yes, the baby powder in both bike & running shoes
I hate tying shoes, so I use speed laces for all my shoes EXCEPT for tri's. There, I go one step more extreme and run in no-lace shoes. I use those 10-dollar water shoes from k-mart. They're only good for about 30 miles of running before the soles are worn out, but the beauty of that is that the wear pattern provides quick feedback regarding the flaws and improvements in my running mechanics. There are also classier looking no-lace shoes by Zoot that are made for triathlon; and of course if a person is thinking of transitioning to a minimalist shoe they should do it gradually and with attention to mechanics.
I haven't done a salt-water swim yet; in fact being so far from the ocean, I don't even get to fool around in salt water, although I used to when I was a New Englander. It might be fun, at least different.
Are you doing any more races this year?
Deb
2014-08-05 5:06 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Originally posted by ok2try

Re T1: I wear my tri top under my wetsuit. If you don't wear a wetsuit, you could just wear the tri top anyway in the swim.
By the time I get to the transition area, I already have my wetsuit off down to my waist, and my cap, goggles & earplugs off, all done while running from the water.
I use lots of body glide on my legs prior to putting the wetsuit on. I think I noticed Sunday that after pushing it part way off my legs, I just step on the suit with one foot while I pull the other foot out. I don't even have to bend down.
My shoes are already attached to the bike, so all I have to do is put on my sunglasses & helmet. I spend some of the time hanging around before the race repeating that motion at least 20 times, sometimes 40, so my hands know how to do it without thought.
I hate tying shoes, so I use speed laces for all my shoes EXCEPT for tri's. There, I go one step more extreme and run in no-lace shoes. I use those 10-dollar water shoes from k-mart. They're only good for about 30 miles of running before the soles are worn out, but the beauty of that is that the wear pattern provides quick feedback regarding the flaws and improvements in my running mechanics. There are also classier looking no-lace shoes by Zoot that are made for triathlon; and of course if a person is thinking of transitioning to a minimalist shoe they should do it gradually and with attention to mechanics.
I haven't done a salt-water swim yet; in fact being so far from the ocean, I don't even get to fool around in salt water, although I used to when I was a New Englander. It might be fun, at least different.
Deb

Thanks for the info, Deb.

I think I have the wetsuit removal piece under control. I also start pulling it off while exiting the water and use the "step on it" method you described. .

I was stumped by what to do about the tri top because the pre-race instructions said don't put the number bib on under the wetsuit for the swim, since it will disintegrate. So I pinned it to the tri top and left both on my bucket at T1. Problem was it got tangled when I tried to pull it on. I'm guessing it was pretty comical to watch as I had the thing half on/half off and was wriggling around trying to get it number side out and the shirt over my upper body at the same time. This movement clearly needs more work or a different approach.

Don't know if my feet and legs could tolerate running in water shoes, but what a great idea! I wear new balance shoes with orthotic inserts. Guess I'll simply increase the baby powder amount as a next step.

Also, your note about doing 20-40 practice reps of putting on the helmet/shades is a level of detail I need to think about.

For bike shoes, I'll upgrade to a different shoe next season, since I wear mountain bike style shoes and they don't have the rear loop to affix a rubber band and mount in advance. This will be yet another thing to practice.

Regarding races, I"m trying to decide whether to do another one or just continue rehab work on the calf. I'm leaning towards one more race, the Hammerfest in Branford, Ct to be held in mid September. (Love that race name!) Its another salt water swim in Branford, Ct.

If you decide to scratch the salt water itch, September is a good time to do that in Connecticut. The water is fairly warm.

Dave

Edited by DJP_19 2014-08-05 5:08 PM
2014-08-05 5:37 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Race Report Cayuga Lake

Originally posted by ok2try I had another great race, with a big PR in the swim, a PR for this event in the bike

Great race report Deb.  WOW!!!  3:23 better in the swim and 3:44 faster on the bike?  That is serious improvement!!!

2014-08-05 6:33 PM

User image

Spencer, New York
I was stumped by what to do about the tri top because the pre-race instructions said don't put the number bib on under the wetsuit for the swim, since it will disintegrate. So I pinned it to the tri top and left both on my bucket at T1. Problem was it got tangled when I tried to pull it on. I'm guessing it was pretty comical to watch as I had the thing half on/half off and was wriggling around trying to get it number side out and the shirt over my upper body at the same time. This movement clearly needs more work or a different approach.

Also, your note about doing 20-40 practice reps of putting on the helmet/shades is a level of detail I need to think about.

Regarding races, I"m trying to decide whether to do another one or just continue rehab work on the calf. I'm leaning towards one more race, the Hammerfest in Branford, Ct to be held in mid September. (Love that race name!) Its another salt water swim in Branford, Ct.

If you decide to scratch the salt water itch, September is a good time to do that in Connecticut. The water is fairly warm.

Dave

Instead of the safety pins, get a race belt which is a quick-snap elastic thing that your number attaches to. Usually you only need to wear the number for the run since the number is also on the bike. In T2 I just grab the race belt along with my hat & water bottle and put them on me as I start running. If for some reason you had to wear it on the bike, the belt is fast to put on.
My transition spot in this race was right next to the porta-potties, so as the various people stood in line for them, they were treated to watching me standing by my bike putting my sunglasses & helmet on and taking them off over and over again. The older I get, the less I care about how ridiculous other people think I look. (This can also be practiced in the privacy of your garage.)
It would be fund to swim in the Sound... but, you know, life.

Deb

2014-08-05 11:03 PM

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Originally posted by DJP_19

Deb

Thanks for the info, Deb.

I think I have the wetsuit removal piece under control. I also start pulling it off while exiting the water and use the "step on it" method you described. .

Don't know if my feet and legs could tolerate running in water shoes, but what a great idea! I wear new balance shoes with orthotic inserts. Guess I'll simply increase the baby powder amount as a next step.

For bike shoes, I'll upgrade to a different shoe next season, since I wear mountain bike style shoes and they don't have the rear loop to affix a rubber band and mount in advance. This will be yet another thing to practice.

Dave

Everything that Deb said is pretty much right on what I do. It's pretty easy to be among the top 20% of T1/T2 times with a bit of planning and practice. With regard to your point above, I wear my tri top under my wet suit. Peel off the wet suit and you're ready to go. You'll save a huge amount of time by not needing to pull a top over your wet body. With regard to your race number, in most races you aren't required to put on your number belt during the bike leg. So, my number belt just stays with my running shoes until I hit T2. Then I slip on my shoes, grab my hat, clip on my number belt and it's off you go.

Even if you don't have a loop on your current bike shoes you can practice leaving your bike shoes clipped in as you finish the bike leg. There are plenty of youtube videos which show how to do it...but you essentially just pull each foot out of the shoe as you approach T2. To keep momentum, you peddle with your feet on top of your shoes. When you hit the dismount line you just pop off the bike and run barefoot with your shoes clipped in.

Good luck.

2014-08-08 3:48 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: Back
Hi Everyone,

Looks like folks are having a pretty good summer. Nice work in the recent race, Deb!

Saw posts from last week about the KR challenge. Now that some of you are a week in, what are your thoughts on it? Thinking about starting it up on Monday for a change of pace as I ease back into training.

I'm home for the next month - weeeeee! So, good opportunity to get back in synch with training. Y'all kept me doing something through the Spring, much appreciated!

Steve, how is the recovery coming along?

How can it be August?

Cheers,
Stu
2014-08-09 9:35 AM

User image

Spencer, New York
Subject: RE: Back
Originally posted by juneapple

Saw posts from last week about the KR challenge. Now that some of you are a week in, what are your thoughts on it? Thinking about starting it up on Monday for a change of pace as I ease back into training.

Cheers,
Stu

Welcome back Stu. I don't know where you were, but I know it can be hard/near impossible to keep any kind of training schedule while traveling.
I'm glad you asked about KR Challenge. I was just about to ask how others were getting on with it. I have completed Day 6 and these are some of my impressions:
The first week is about stretching and it's pretty challenging. (I quickly learned to put a big pillow under my knee for the hip-flexor stretch since it involves kneeling and my knees were getting sore.) I was already doing a daily hip/leg stretching routine, and in comparison with that, there are some things I like and some things I'm not sure about. One thing I like is that most of the exercises are dynamic or a mixture of dynamic and static. The ones I was doing were static. In that regard, it' may be an improvement. Two things that are missing are stretches targeting the IT band and the piriformis, which I certainly need as do most runners. There are also exercises for improving balance, which I also need and was doing separately from my hip/leg routine.
Looking forward to week 2, the emphasis switches from stretching to strength. For me, I guess this means the KR workout will replace the hip-strengthening routine I also do, but I will have to also do my daily stretching, for which I can use my old routine, the new routine, or a new improved routine that will combine elements of both. Probably the latter.
The strength exercises in week 2 include elements from the BT core exercises with some things that are new. I'm going to give it a whirl because I like learning new things.
My take-away is that if you are doing no hip stretches or strengthening already, the challenge may make a huge difference for you. If you already are doing these things, it may be interesting and you may learn some new things.
The time involved, which for me is about 25-30 minutes/day, is about what I spend on stretching & balance combined.
I'd love to hear the experience of others with the KR program.
Deb

Edited by ok2try 2014-08-09 10:24 AM
2014-08-10 11:09 AM
in reply to: juneapple

User image

Regular

Steve, how is the recovery coming along?

How can it be August?

Cheers,
Stu

Hey Stu:

Hope you had a good trip.

Training is coming slow. I'm hitting my indoor bike trainer about 3-4X a week for a pretty solid hour of cycling cardio. I still can't fully hold the weight on my left side when down on the aero bars, so I have to improvise a bit. It's not particularly comfortable, but I can get through it. But it's time to ramp it up...my clothes are starting to fit a bit tight and there is a bulge on my belly that wasn't there 6 weeks ago.

No running and swimming yet....my ribs just haven't allowed. But mark my words....I'll run this week. Swimming may be getting closer as I'm starting to get some flexibility back in my shoulder. I can't reach over my head, but I'm still working with PT to regain my rotation.

Nine weeks since the crash. I slept the full night last night in my bed...I've been in a recliner every night since I got out of the hospital. It's been a long haul with a ways to go to get back.

Hard to believe football season is just around the corner...

Steve

2014-08-10 1:59 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Originally posted by lutzman
Originally posted by juneapple Steve, how is the recovery coming along? How can it be August? Cheers, Stu
Hey Stu: Hope you had a good trip. Training is coming slow. I'm hitting my indoor bike trainer about 3-4X a week for a pretty solid hour of cycling cardio. I still can't fully hold the weight on my left side when down on the aero bars, so I have to improvise a bit. It's not particularly comfortable, but I can get through it. But it's time to ramp it up...my clothes are starting to fit a bit tight and there is a bulge on my belly that wasn't there 6 weeks ago. No running and swimming yet....my ribs just haven't allowed. But mark my words....I'll run this week. Swimming may be getting closer as I'm starting to get some flexibility back in my shoulder. I can't reach over my head, but I'm still working with PT to regain my rotation. Nine weeks since the crash. I slept the full night last night in my bed...I've been in a recliner every night since I got out of the hospital. It's been a long haul with a ways to go to get back. Hard to believe football season is just around the corner... Steve

That in itself is cause to celebrate.  The rest will come back.

2014-08-10 4:56 PM

User image

Spencer, New York

Hey Stu:

Hope you had a good trip.

Training is coming slow. I'm hitting my indoor bike trainer about 3-4X a week for a pretty solid hour of cycling cardio. I still can't fully hold the weight on my left side when down on the aero bars, so I have to improvise a bit. It's not particularly comfortable, but I can get through it. But it's time to ramp it up...my clothes are starting to fit a bit tight and there is a bulge on my belly that wasn't there 6 weeks ago.

No running and swimming yet....my ribs just haven't allowed. But mark my words....I'll run this week. Swimming may be getting closer as I'm starting to get some flexibility back in my shoulder. I can't reach over my head, but I'm still working with PT to regain my rotation.

Nine weeks since the crash. I slept the full night last night in my bed...I've been in a recliner every night since I got out of the hospital. It's been a long haul with a ways to go to get back.

Steve

Steve, your grit and determination are an inspiration.
Deb

2014-08-11 3:03 PM

User image

Expert

Steve

Gee, I really don't think playing football would be a good idea, Steve ;-)

Seriously, glad to hear you'll be giving running a shot this week and I can only imagine how good a real night's sleep must have felt. Your determination is inspiring!!

Stu
2014-08-11 3:15 PM

User image

Expert

Cheers,
Stu

Welcome back Stu. I don't know where you were, but I know it can be hard/near impossible to keep any kind of training schedule while traveling.
I'm glad you asked about KR Challenge. I was just about to ask how others were getting on with it. I have completed Day 6 and these are some of my impressions:
The first week is about stretching and it's pretty challenging. (I quickly learned to put a big pillow under my knee for the hip-flexor stretch since it involves kneeling and my knees were getting sore.) I was already doing a daily hip/leg stretching routine, and in comparison with that, there are some things I like and some things I'm not sure about. One thing I like is that most of the exercises are dynamic or a mixture of dynamic and static. The ones I was doing were static. In that regard, it' may be an improvement. Two things that are missing are stretches targeting the IT band and the piriformis, which I certainly need as do most runners. There are also exercises for improving balance, which I also need and was doing separately from my hip/leg routine.
Looking forward to week 2, the emphasis switches from stretching to strength. For me, I guess this means the KR workout will replace the hip-strengthening routine I also do, but I will have to also do my daily stretching, for which I can use my old routine, the new routine, or a new improved routine that will combine elements of both. Probably the latter.
The strength exercises in week 2 include elements from the BT core exercises with some things that are new. I'm going to give it a whirl because I like learning new things.
My take-away is that if you are doing no hip stretches or strengthening already, the challenge may make a huge difference for you. If you already are doing these things, it may be interesting and you may learn some new things.
The time involved, which for me is about 25-30 minutes/day, is about what I spend on stretching & balance combined.
I'd love to hear the experience of others with the KR program.
Deb

Many thanks for the info, Deb. This sounds like it will be very helpful for me as this has always been an area where I thought I could improve. I'm going to get started on Wed (yes, I know, I've already backslid two days and I haven't even started yet). Don't have much time left if I'm going to get under 1:50 for a HM and next year is my first year in the 55s. Time to refocus. Maybe see if I can find an open weekend for a Sprint in Sept.

Looks like I may be spending more time in Florida starting in Oct as my Mom seems to be needing some additional assistance. Visit last week was definitely well timed and a bit of a reality check. Not too excited about the travel, but the upside will be some improved winter training, presuming there's time. Been thinking about you, Judi.

Stu
2014-08-11 7:40 PM
in reply to: juneapple

User image

Master
Maryland
Steve you are very humble and don't complain. It is great you are able to sleep more normally now. Hopefully, you feel like you are improving a little every day.
2014-08-11 10:29 PM
in reply to: Terps421

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Back at running (if you can call it that)
Ok. The good news: completed 30 minutes on the treadmill tonight at the gym. A little uncomfortable where my ribs broke near my sternum and around on my back where they link up to the spine. But the pain never got worse so I trudged along.

The bad news: 9:50 per mile pace. If I had been out running on our local paved trail I would have been passed by the old guy in the walker.

Small steps, but steps nonetheless.

steve
2014-08-12 6:59 AM

User image

Expert

Ok. The good news: completed 30 minutes on the treadmill tonight at the gym. A little uncomfortable where my ribs broke near my sternum and around on my back where they link up to the spine. But the pain never got worse so I trudged along.

The bad news: 9:50 per mile pace. If I had been out running on our local paved trail I would have been passed by the old guy in the walker.

steve

[Waving from my walker] Carpe Diem!

2014-08-12 11:03 AM

User image

Subject: The one speed wonder...
I completed my second 1/2 mile OW swim race last Friday evening. The first race in the series was little over a month ago. In that race I went out slow, took it easy, and finished in 18:20 - a 2:05 per 100 yd pace. This time I went out fast, worked hard, felt fast throughout the race, and finished in .... 18:24 - essentially the same pace as before.

Clearly my perception of being faster was an illusion. I suppose in trying harder my technique suffered. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks!
Scott I.
2014-08-13 11:18 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

steve

I'm not using a walker yet but even I would have passed you at that pace!  Don't worry, in no time at all you will be back to your former self and kicking our collective arse all over the place.  Glad to hear you are making steady progress.

2014-08-13 1:34 PM
in reply to: EchoLkScott

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: The one speed wonder...

Originally posted by EchoLkScott

I completed my second 1/2 mile OW swim race last Friday evening. The first race in the series was little over a month ago. In that race I went out slow, took it easy, and finished in 18:20 - a 2:05 per 100 yd pace. This time I went out fast, worked hard, felt fast throughout the race, and finished in .... 18:24 - essentially the same pace as before.

Clearly my perception of being faster was an illusion. I suppose in trying harder my technique suffered. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks! Scott I.

I have a saying I share all the time - "Faster isn't necessarily faster." What often happens when an amateur level swimmer attempts to go faster is they quicken their turnover rate which quickly leads to a breakdown in stroke technique. As technique breaks down the stroke becomes less efficient. Meanwhile, the increased turnover rate quickly has the swimmer above threshold and lactic acid builds up - leading to further stroke degradation. The net result is that the swimmer feels like they are really fast but in reality - not so much.

In your case specifically, I suspect you went out to fast and ran out of gas in the second race whereas in the first one you did the entire race at a sustainable effort.  I understand that these were freestanding OWS events, however I am curious, which of the two do you feel like you could have gone and run a 5K after?  You likely had more energy reserves after the first race.

If you remember a couple of months ago I put up a post about swim threshold pace and endurance training (I finally found it back on page 18 of this thread).  The post was about swim threshold pace, what it represents and how to find it.  More importantly I explained how you can use it to set a realistic race pace.

A quick refresher of the important parts -

To review the STP/CSS Test Procedure -

Do your normal warm-up (i.e. 200 easy freestyle). Once you are warmed up, you will do two time trials, one of 50 yards (or meters if you are in a long course pool) and one of 400 yards/meters. Both time trials will be at a maximal pace - meaning as fast as you can go the distance. There needs to be sufficient time between the two swims so that you are FULLY recovered before the second time trial. I recommend doing the 50 first as the recovery time is shorter. Ideally you will have someone available that can time you. If not, time yourself, the slight difference in time will not be significant. To start, push off from the wall - NO DIVING START. Record the time in seconds. I suggest an EASY 100 after the first swim to clear the lactic acid. Give it at least 10 minutes, then do an EASY 100. Then start the second time trial. Again, record the time in seconds.

How to Calculate STP/CSS -

STP/CSS/Threshold Pace in yards/meters per second can be calculated with the following formula, where D1 = 50, D2 = 400, T1 = time for 50 swim in seconds and T2 = time for 400 swim in seconds

STP/CSS/Threshold Pace = (D2 - D1) ÷ (T2 - T1)

To convert that number into an actual pace, take the desired distance, for example 100 and divide the STP into it.  Say that your STP is 0.78 yards per second and you want to know the pace for a 100.  To get your pace divide 100 by 0.78 which results in 128.2 seconds per 100 or 2:20/100.  This example is in yards, if you need meters than either do the test in meters or convert the time to meters.

My recommendation is to go back and review the entire article about Swim Threshold Pace and Endurance Training.  As I said it is back on page 18.  It will also be on my new website - TriathlonSwimCoach.com - which I expect to launch by the end of the month.  It is the Intensive Endurance Training that will allow you to go faster without the stroke degradation.  However, you need to build the solid endurance base before you start doing Intensive Endurance Training or you will be wasting your time.

Hope that helps.  Good luck.

2014-08-13 1:46 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Regular
Originally posted by k9car363

steve

I'm not using a walker yet but even I would have passed you at that pace!  Don't worry, in no time at all you will be back to your former self and kicking our collective arse all over the place.  Glad to hear you are making steady progress.

Speaking of being passed by old guys....

The first road race I ever entered I got passed by a bunch of old guys. If fact, every one of them. I was in my early 20's and the running craze was really getting going. I heard about a local 10K that had been organized and thought that's just what I needed to showcase my athletic prowess.

Of course, I never competed in track in high school so I had zero experience in racing or even training for a road race. I wasn't training for running at all at the time, but I surmised that since the race wasn't until Saturday I still had plenty of time to get in shape! Being young and foolish I figured "what the hell, 6 miles, no problem!" I concluded a training plan would be helpful so here's was I devised-- I ran 2 miles on Monday, 3 miles on Tuesday, 4 miles on Wednesday, 5 miles on Thursday and 6 miles on Friday.

Cool. I was now ready to race a 10K on Saturday!

Of course, any hope of capitalizing on my youth for a respectable time was squashed by my 5 day training program as my legs were fully spent when I showed up on race day. Who knew that would happen? Nonetheless, I literally put my toe on the starting line waiting for the gun to go off. Of course, when the gun sounded I sprinted out like I was being chased by a bear. That went really great for about 400 yards. Only 5.8 miles to go. At that point every single person I stood in front of on the starting line began going by me: women, children, people pushing strollers, the cheerleaders squad, a guy on crutches....

How slow did I go? Fortunately, there is no written record of the race results that I am aware of, but here's a couple of indicators of my day. When I got to the 3.1 mile aid station nobody was there. There were a bunch of squashed paper cups lying around and a folded up table and chairs leaning against a tree, but the volunteers had already bailed out. I couldn't quit since it was a long loop course and there was simply no way back to the parking lot that was any shorter than the actual race course, so I trudged on at my painfully slow pace...longest 6 miles of my life.

On the return the course wound it's way up and down small hills through local pear orchards. It would have been pretty if I hadn't been thinking about throwing up. Finally, after was seemed like I must have run all the way to Seattle, I turned a corner, the course flattened and I could actually see the finish line about a quarter mile out in the distance. I was on the home stretch. Suddenly I heard the faint sounds of footsteps gradually coming up from behind me. I was not in last place! A few moments later a guy who looked to be 70+ slowly caught me and passed me. As he went by he patted my on the shoulder and said, "You're almost there, son." And I couldn't catch him.

So yes, I know slow. And I'm pretty sure in that race I was DFL....although I don't recall sticking around to review the post-race stats so it is possible that somebody was slower.

Fortunately, with actual training I got faster.

2014-08-13 2:01 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Speaking of being passed by old guys....

The first road race I ever entered I got passed by a bunch of old guys. If fact, every one of them. I was in my early 20's and the running craze was really getting going. I heard about a local 10K that had been organized and thought that's just what I needed to showcase my athletic prowess.

Of course, I never competed in track in high school so I had zero experience in racing or even training for a road race. I wasn't training for running at all at the time, but I surmised that since the race wasn't until Saturday I still had plenty of time to get in shape! Being young and foolish I figured "what the hell, 6 miles, no problem!" I concluded a training plan would be helpful so here's was I devised-- I ran 2 miles on Monday, 3 miles on Tuesday, 4 miles on Wednesday, 5 miles on Thursday and 6 miles on Friday.

Cool. I was now ready to race a 10K on Saturday!

Of course, any hope of capitalizing on my youth for a respectable time was squashed by my 5 day training program as my legs were fully spent when I showed up on race day. Who knew that would happen? Nonetheless, I literally put my toe on the starting line waiting for the gun to go off. Of course, when the gun sounded I sprinted out like I was being chased by a bear. That went really great for about 400 yards. Only 5.8 miles to go. At that point every single person I stood in front of on the starting line began going by me: women, children, people pushing strollers, the cheerleaders squad, a guy on crutches....

How slow did I go? Fortunately, there is no written record of the race results that I am aware of, but here's a couple of indicators of my day. When I got to the 3.1 mile aid station nobody was there. There were a bunch of squashed paper cups lying around and a folded up table and chairs leaning against a tree, but the volunteers had already bailed out. I couldn't quit since it was a long loop course and there was simply no way back to the parking lot that was any shorter than the actual race course, so I trudged on at my painfully slow pace...longest 6 miles of my life.

On the return the course wound it's way up and down small hills through local pear orchards. It would have been pretty if I hadn't been thinking about throwing up. Finally, after was seemed like I must have run all the way to Seattle, I turned a corner, the course flattened and I could actually see the finish line about a quarter mile out in the distance. I was on the home stretch. Suddenly I heard the faint sounds of footsteps gradually coming up from behind me. I was not in last place! A few moments later a guy who looked to be 70+ slowly caught me and passed me. As he went by he patted my on the shoulder and said, "You're almost there, son." And I couldn't catch him.

So yes, I know slow. And I'm pretty sure in that race I was DFL....although I don't recall sticking around to review the post-race stats so it is possible that somebody was slower.

Fortunately, with actual training I got faster.

Steve,

That is a GREAT story.  It should be required reading for anyone wanting to train for an athletic event.

2014-08-15 10:16 AM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Friday, Friday, Friday...no work till Monday
Another day another treadmill run. That's two now, but who is counting?

Last night I hit the gym and ran for 45 minutes: 20 minutes @ 9:30 pace with a .5% grade, 10 @ 9:00 with a 5% grade, 10 at 8:45 with 0% grade, 5 @ 8:30 with 0% grade. A little sore, but better than Monday.

I've lost a lot of fitness over the last 10 weeks. My HR was 150 and higher for most of the workout yestereday, even with the slower paces. Pre-crash I my HR wouldn't go above 150+ until I got down in the 7:00/mile range. So, lots of work to do.

For the weekend, I'm thinking I'll try to get in an easy 45-60 minute treadmill run with an easy weight workout on Saturday. Maybe even try to swim a little if I'm feeling really frisky. Sunday I'm targeting 90 minutes of steady pace work on the indoor bike trainer.

Prior to my crash I weighed in at 159. This morning I weighed in a 167. Ugh. That's worse that it looks because I've lost muscle and gained fat (which is lighter), so the weight gain is actually worse than the numbers indicate. Time to get some longer training in to start burning off the fat.

Hope you have a great weekend. Anyone racing?

Steve
2014-08-16 6:44 PM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Not racing but going for a nice bike ride with the kids tomorrow. Should be fun, just haven't done enough of those this summer.

I think I told Steve that I was taking a new job which would allow for more training but the last month has been hectic. I should be reaping the benefits of this next season, so look out. : ) The other good thing is I left the job from hell and I am doing something I really enjoy.

Anyway toying with doing another race mid September, I did it last year and it has been my favorite venue so far.

Tried to hit the pool yesterday at 6:00 AM after slacking all week and it was closed. I HATE when that happens but atleast the thought was there.

BTW for those that were on the winter thread helping my son with college suggestions he decided to take a full scholarship to UMass Boston within their honors program. We almost had the ink to paper for NYU where he was getting pretty good scholarship money but he just wasn't sure about the school (one of the biggest in the world) or NYC and he said that is still quite a bit of money to spend for something you are not sure about (pretty smart).

I would like to thank everyone who offered help and sorry Stu he passed on Willam & Mary, your state has some very fine schools down there. He is a good boy and I am very lucky. He seems like he is going to be really happy there and that is all I really wanted.

Wishing everyone a safe and happy rest of the weekend.

James

Edited by JREDFLY 2014-08-17 5:50 AM
2014-08-17 1:25 AM

User image

Hi Steve,

It sounds like you're making good progress!

I'm racing next weekend (August 24th) at at the lake Meridian triathlon. I'm doing the sprint. It's on the long side for a sprint: 1/2 mile swim, 16.4 mile bike, 3.1 mile run. Should be a good challenge for me. My first and only triathlon was a mini-sprint with distances about half of this one.

I finally managed to get my run up to 3 miles. My calf was a little tight afterward, but seems to be holding together. Hopefully I'm healed to the point I can progress rapidly!

Tomorrow I'm heading up to Lake Stevens to check out the Ironman 70.3. It's only 15 miles north of my house - I often ride my bike past Lk Stevens. Maybe next year I can compete ...

Scott I.
2014-08-17 4:10 PM

User image

Master
Maryland

Another day another treadmill run. That's two now, but who is counting?

Last night I hit the gym and ran for 45 minutes: 20 minutes @ 9:30 pace with a .5% grade, 10 @ 9:00 with a 5% grade, 10 at 8:45 with 0% grade, 5 @ 8:30 with 0% grade. A little sore, but better than Monday.

I've lost a lot of fitness over the last 10 weeks. My HR was 150 and higher for most of the workout yestereday, even with the slower paces. Pre-crash I my HR wouldn't go above 150+ until I got down in the 7:00/mile range. So, lots of work to do.

For the weekend, I'm thinking I'll try to get in an easy 45-60 minute treadmill run with an easy weight workout on Saturday. Maybe even try to swim a little if I'm feeling really frisky. Sunday I'm targeting 90 minutes of steady pace work on the indoor bike trainer.

Prior to my crash I weighed in at 159. This morning I weighed in a 167. Ugh. That's worse that it looks because I've lost muscle and gained fat (which is lighter), so the weight gain is actually worse than the numbers indicate. Time to get some longer training in to start burning off the fat.

Hope you have a great weekend. Anyone racing?

Steve

Steve, you are rolling on in your comeback, that is such good news! Thanks for sharing your first racing story, It is interesting to reflect and look back at our progress and then learn from it. And your story is really funny.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum--OPEN! Rss Feed  

of 40

RELATED POSTS

Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58

Started by Qua17
Views: 47330 Posts: 1446

2014-12-21 7:19 PM Qua17

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 50460 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19440 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31