BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum--OPEN! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 40

2014-09-10 12:44 AM
in reply to: juneapple

User image

Subject: RE: Reflections on the season...
Originally posted by juneapple

• .. What's on the docket for next year? What will you work on this winter to help you get there?

• Great question!

My goal next year: Complete an Olympic distance triathlon or two. I'd eventually like to do a Half Ironman, but I don't know if I can get there next year.

My thinking for the "off season":
    1. Join a masters swim team. I've already talked with the coach for the Lake Washington Masters team (I have a couple friends on the team). I'm hoping the consistent swimming and coaching will help me speed up.
    2. Fix the run. This is currently my weakest leg. I'm finally able to run for a mile or so without my calf cramping up. I'm hoping to gradually (very gradually) increase the distance and volume. I'd like to get to be able to run a 10K by next spring.
    3. Bike? I'm not sure. I probably need to get an indoor trainer so I can keep things going. Any thoughts?

Anybody else like to share their plan for the "off season"?

Scott I.

2014-09-10 5:43 AM
    in reply to: EchoLkScott

User image

Expert
    Tallahassee
    My goal is to hopefully get better on the swim so I can do more triathlons.

I want to do a 1/2 duathlon, bike 56 miles and run a 1/2 marathon OR sign up for a 50 mile run in Key West.

Off season, I don't do off seasons, I just love working out, not so much racing, I do that just to keep me in shape and working harder.

Now I have looked at our 10 day forecast and it is supposed to get down to 67 degrees for the lows next week...I dread that, it has been so nice getting up, just putting on shorts and shoes and being able to run. Having to put on long sleeve shirts, gloves etc is aweful. I know I won't have to do that at 67 but it won't be long until we do. 67 degrees is on the verge of being to cold to run shirtless though. This 75 degrees is the morning at 4:00 am is WONDERFUL!!!

2014-09-10 2:20 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Gold member

What's on the docket for next year? What will you work on this winter to help you get there?

Short answer?

In a word, KONA.

Swim is where it needs to be - average +/- 1:05/100.

Bike is where it needs to be - average +/- 24 MPH 4+ hours.

Need to work on run, currently at +/- 10:30/mile need to drop to <8:30/mile.

Not going to have a real off season this year (or any other year for that matter).  Going to work on maintaining swim and cycling fitness and improve run.

2014-09-10 7:24 PM
    in reply to: k9car363

User image

Spencer, New York
    Doesn't sound like anyone's going to sit back much this fall//winter. But there are some changes with the seasons. For me:
    From now til mid-December, my main focus is running. I'm now running 4 days/week plus aqua-running 1 day, which I think is helping the leg hold up. I'm doing a cross-country series with 5 races(5-6k) plus the nationals which are in mid-December. I had to laugh at Karl's complaints about running in 67 degree weather. Usually we're running 1 or 2 of those races in the snow!
    Cut biking back to 2 days, focusing on hill work.
    I liked what Scott mentioned much earlier about going back to swim basics after the competition season. I'm taking a swim mastery course for the next 8 weeks, plus 2 pool workout days following up on skills.
    After mid December I think I'll cut the volume & intensity back for a short spell. I know it's beneficial to let your body recover, but I do go stir crazy. I plan to do more strength training and continue to build my run volume. The perfect time for me to do a half-marathon would be late January or early February , but there aren't any around here during that time of year, for obvious reasons.
    Beginning mid-February I'll start focusing on the bike with an eye to my May duathlon. I did really badly in that this year. Also, I plan to compete in the cycling portion of the National Senior Games as well as the triathlon. That's in July in Minneapolis.
    My other big race will be the Olympic distance at the Cayuga Lake Triathlon in August. I'll do one other USAT certified sprint race to get my ranking, and maybe do the Empire Senior Games, which are not certified but lots of fun, as well.
    After that, 1 more year in this AG and I'll be ready to rock on into the big 7-0!
    (As we say, God willing an the creek don't rise.)

2014-09-10 8:11 PM
    in reply to: ok2try

User image

Official BT Coach
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Gold member

Originally posted by ok2try

I liked what Scott mentioned much earlier about going back to swim basics after the competition season. I'm taking a swim mastery course for the next 8 weeks, plus 2 pool workout days following up on skills.

Deb,

So glad to hear your plan.  I think there is nothing you can do that will improve your swim more than to revisit technique at the beginning of every season!

2014-09-10 8:27 PM

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
    EL Scott: Congrats on making such great strides in your health. That's a great accomplishment.

This year was my first season doing tri's, and after Sunday's race, I will have completed 3 Sprint distance events. With the support and great tips from the people in this group, I've sort of "caught the tri bug".

Some off season goals are:
    1. Become disciplined around swimming. This means more formal lessons and increased yardage. Move from just completing the events, to actually reducing my swim times. The local tri club swim coach is going to hold lessons over the winter and I'm going to attend every session I can.
    2. Learn more about biking. This means becoming smarter about "how to bike", and not just banging out the mileage. I plan to use a bike trainer over the winter and to get some coaching.
    3. Learn about HR based training and keep a better training log. I tracked workouts using "Running2Win" last year, but may switch to a triathlon focused tool this year.
    4. Finally, I need to commit to bringing my weight down low enough to improve my times. Since I started at 235lbs about 3 years ago, I'm pretty ok with my current weight of 185, but the reality is I'd be faster at 172lbs. (That was my weight during high school).

Next season:

If I remain healthy , I plan to increase distances. Looking to do an Olympic race in either June or July, and will consider registering for the Timberman HIM in August. Several of my training group buddies have done the Timberman and are prodding me to join them next year. I may just do that, assuming I remain healthy.

2014-09-11 10:56 PM

User image

Regular
    East Wenatchee, Washington

• .. What's on the docket for next year? What will you work on this winter to help you get there?

• Well for me it will be pretty simple:

1) Get back to my pre-crash fitness levels.

2) Qualify for 2014 Age Group Nationals (it will take a good performance in an early race next year since I lost my ranking this year)

3) No more crashes.

It will be a long road back. I pretty much missed the entire race season with the crash out in early June. On the bright side, that's a full year to reccover and I age up next year to the 60-64 age group. All I need is motivation!

In the end, there really is no "off season". There are simply variations in training intensity.

Steve
    2014-09-12 3:44 AM
    in reply to: lutzman

User image

Master
    Sendai, Japan
    Subject: Race Report

Hi folks,  In case anyone is interested in the long version of my last race the race report is here:  Dan's race report

After reviewing my bike computer and garmin data, the revised short story goes like this:

1:28:34 swim

7:01 T1

7:00:41 bike (190km)

8:11 T2

5:01:44 run

13:46:11 total.   955 people started the race and 782 were able to finish within the 15.5 hour limit.  I ended up 327 

overall and 11 in the 55-59 age group (73 started and only 51 finished - 30% DNF). 

2014-09-12 5:58 AM
    in reply to: dcon

User image

Expert
    Tallahassee
    Subject: RE: Race Report
    GREAT job Dan!!! Congrats. Your race report was really good, thanks for taking the time to post it.

Today I was running about 4:20a.m. through a neighborhood and right next to the road were 2 deer, a doe and a buck (6 point), they were less than 20 feet from me and didn't run. It is amazing what you can see before everyone gets up, made my day. I was wondering if the deer are adjusting to humans or since going vegan the animals are not scared of me. I did have a deer hunter years ago tell me that 1 year he killed 2 deer, the following year he killed 17 after going vegan for 6 weeks prior to the season. Deer's sense of smell is much greater than a dogs's or so they say.

I hope everyone has a GREAT weekend! Train hard, or Dan you recover easy.
    2014-09-12 6:43 AM
    in reply to: KWDreamun

User image

Spencer, New York
    Great race report Dan; very interesting how much more important nutrition becomes in the long-distance races.
    And Karl..hat tip to you to be out running at 4:20 am. The deer were just curious who that crazy man was!
    Deb
    2014-09-12 10:00 AM

User image

Congratulations Dan on the full Iron Distance triathlon! Very impressive!

Scott I.

2014-09-13 6:07 AM

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
    Hey Dan,

Congrats on becoming an Astroman! I really enjoyed reading the details of your race report. I'm looking forward to learning more about nutrition and the use of HR data myself. Thanks for sharing.

My last sprint is tomorrow. The race season seems to have come and gone quickly.
    2014-09-13 6:27 AM
    in reply to: DJP_19

User image

Expert
    Tallahassee
    Dave, good luck in your sprint, let us know how it goes.

I saw the deer again today, I really enjoy seeing them, it makes my day so good.

I did learn 1 thing, I have to respect all distances. I thought 10 miles running, piece of cake, well I struggled the whole way.

Ya'll have a GREAT weekend!

karl
    2014-09-13 9:09 AM

User image

Veteran
    Kennebunkport, Qatar
    Deb Great race report, You're awesome! Keep it up

James, as much as i like to joke about about how cool it would be to have a shark bite scar, probably a wise decision. Probably something I will have to think about more and more as they move up the coast and as probably the biggest person in our group, well why go for a appetizer when you can have a 4 course meal?

Scott, Great to hear that your health has improved so much, keep up the good work!

Karl, funny how living in a different climate effects our views, me I don't put a long sleeve shirt on until it gets in the low 40's, running in snow and 10-20 degrees is my favorite! Unfortunately I have too much of a insulating layer!

Steve, good luck on your continued rehab and making the nationals!

Really looking forward to the coming year, I have huge probably unreasonable goals, but big strides can only be made with big goals! First off will be several months of strength training and weight loss, this is a big goal to drop about 30lbs by next fall, I want to be down to around 205. I plan on going back to Masters when our group starts up later in the fall.
    I have 3 big goals for next year
    1st - Maine Coast Marathon, this will be my first attempt at a marathon
    2nd - White Mountain Triathlon 70.3, very hilly course which is not my strength at this point, but will be a big focus during the winter.
    3rd - My ultimate goal, IronMan Lake Tahoe, hopefully they keep this a full, there is talk it may go to a 70.3? This will be my first attempt at a full and it is one of the hardest from what I've heard. This is home for me, I grew up in this area and Love it, I figure I will go big and go home, at least if it kills me I will be close to all my family Sorry I have a morbid sense of humor.
    I have a lot of work ahead of me this coming year and I am excited about getting into a routine, I just hope my work schedule will cooperate!

Dan
    2014-09-13 7:12 PM
    in reply to: Mountaindan

User image

Master
    Maryland
    Congratulations Dan on your race!
    2014-09-14 6:12 AM
    in reply to: Terps421

User image

Expert
    Charlottesville, Virginia
    Subject: 10K
    10K yesterday was okay. Time was 53.32. I went in thinking under 52 I'd be elated, over 55 disappointed, so about where I expected. Definitely was feeling tired legs and extra weight on the hills where my pace ballooned to mid 10s+. But it marked the end of my first consistent training for 4 consecutive weeks since Feb. Nothing to write home about, but it has been nice to be back into the routine again. New picture is from last year's 10K with my father-in-law, who ran it again yesterday at age 81. I'd be very happy to be cranking out 10Ks like he does 25 years from now :-)

Will make a decision about the Richmond half (in November) in two weeks after my travel. I'm a little behind where I'd ideally be with regard to weekly mileage, but can't ramp up too fast. I don't have to tell you all that injury is our biggest concern.

Next year is a good question. While I posed it for others, it is the question for the moment for me as well. This year was the first year in 6 I didn't do at least 3 triathlons, and as it turned out, I didn't do any. Kind of a strange feeling and I wonder if I'm at some kind of crossroads. I age up to the 55s next year, so good incentive there :-) But, no question that triathlons just weren't at the top of my priority list this year. Partially due to schedule (was out of town for every triathlon I usually do), but was also just lacking the drive. Time has been squeezed all year and training always came up short. So, come November 1st, I'll need to sit down and have a talk with myself about the coming year. If I want to get back on track, I'm going to have to cut back on the travel... no question about that. But that, of course, has other implications. It also looks like I'll need to spend more time caring for my Mom in the coming year. That is probably neutral when it comes to training as she lives in Florida and my time there always starts with a morning workout.

Ah well, finding balance is always a challenge :-)

Anyway, sure hope this group will be here next year! Y'all are great support!

Stu

2014-09-14 11:45 AM

User image

Regular
    Originally posted by dcon

Hi folks,  In case anyone is interested in the long version of my last race the race report is here:  Dan's race report

After reviewing my bike computer and garmin data, the revised short story goes like this:

13:46:11 total.   955 people started the race and 782 were able to finish within the 15.5 hour limit.  I ended up 327 

overall and 11 in the 55-59 age group (73 started and only 51 finished - 30% DNF). 

Awesome race, Dan!

Congratulations. Impressive for someone 25....let alone double that! Well done.

Steve
    2014-09-14 11:52 AM

User image

Regular
    Subject: RE: 10K

10K yesterday was okay. Time was 53.32. I went in thinking under 52 I'd be elated, over 55 disappointed, so about where I expected. Definitely was feeling tired legs and extra weight on the hills where my pace ballooned to mid 10s+. But it marked the end of my first consistent training for 4 consecutive weeks since Feb. Nothing to write home about, but it has been nice to be back into the routine again. New picture is from last year's 10K with my father-in-law, who ran it again yesterday at age 81. I'd be very happy to be cranking out 10Ks like he does 25 years from now :-)

Will make a decision about the Richmond half (in November) in two weeks after my travel. I'm a little behind where I'd ideally be with regard to weekly mileage, but can't ramp up too fast. I don't have to tell you all that injury is our biggest concern.

Next year is a good question. While I posed it for others, it is the question for the moment for me as well. This year was the first year in 6 I didn't do at least 3 triathlons, and as it turned out, I didn't do any. Kind of a strange feeling and I wonder if I'm at some kind of crossroads. I age up to the 55s next year, so good incentive there :-) But, no question that triathlons just weren't at the top of my priority list this year. Partially due to schedule (was out of town for every triathlon I usually do), but was also just lacking the drive. Time has been squeezed all year and training always came up short. So, come November 1st, I'll need to sit down and have a talk with myself about the coming year. If I want to get back on track, I'm going to have to cut back on the travel... no question about that. But that, of course, has other implications. It also looks like I'll need to spend more time caring for my Mom in the coming year. That is probably neutral when it comes to training as she lives in Florida and my time there always starts with a morning workout.

Ah well, finding balance is always a challenge :-)

Anyway, sure hope this group will be here next year! Y'all are great support!

Stu

Stu:

Nothing wrong with being a runner. We all find our own level. But, you'll like that 55+ age group.

Steve
    2014-09-14 6:52 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Gold member

Originally posted by dcon

Hey Dan,

Great race report.  Your difficulties with nutrition really highlight a concern I have had, namely how to simulate iron distance race day nutrition in training.  Even if I did a 100/20 brick (which I think would not be wise for any number of reasons - another discussion for another day), it still wouldn't simulate the full distance - never mind there was no swim in training, it wouldn't be simulating race day intensity, and even if it did all those things, it couldn't anticipate and wouldn't simulate race day weather.  That puts you in a position where you are somewhat guessing on what nutrition is going to work on race day, especially deep into the race.

I am curious if there was anything in training that gave you ANY indication that you might have problems with the gel you were using.  I know, silly question because if you had problem in training you likely wouldn't have used it on race day.  I am wondering more if, in hindsight, there was anything that should have raised a red flag.  Also, did you do any experimenting in training with different gels and/or sports drinks (maybe higher calorie content) and/or different gel and sport drink combinations?

You obviously made a pretty good decision switching over to coke only.  Was that a planned alternative if nutrition failed or was that a decision you made on the fly?

Sorry for all the questions.  You just lived one of my biggest fears - trouble with nutrition.  Just trying to learn from your experience.

2014-09-14 11:47 PM
    in reply to: k9car363

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
    Subject: Last Sprint of the season
    Did my third Sprint today in the coastal town of Branford, Ct. It was held at a very scenic venue, with the swim starting at a beach and tennis club, then biking and running through the adjacent cottage community. The distances were .5mile swim, 13.5 bike and 4.0 mile run. It was a brisk 48 degrees at the start, but the water was warm at roughly 68 degrees. There were about 300 entrants, with the men's 45 and older group was sent out as the first wave.

I tried to stay right in the pack at the swim start, but struggled to keep pace. I didn't feel very comfortable in the swim. I had some negative thoughts early on, brought on by a queasy stomach and made worse by several gulps of saltwater right out of the gate. I finally sucked it up and was feeling better as I ascended the stairs from the beach and ran across the lawn into the parking lot to T1. Time was 17:10.

It was still pretty windy and cool at T1, so I threw on a long sleeve shirt for the bike. Got out of T1 in 1:28, which was a big improvement in time for me. The bike went fine, as we did two scenic loops through the cottage community/golf course/beach area. I dodged a couple golfers crossing the road and narrowly missed a crash when the cyclist in front of me had a flat that caused him to do a semi controlled crash. Overall, I felt ok on the bike, with a 43 minute ride. I had a smooth T2, getting in and out in 52 seconds, another improvement from my previous efforts.

Felt like I had a decent run, since I was able to go a bit harder with no calf pain. My time was 33:20, or an 8:20 pace. Overall, I finished at #143 of 260 finishers.

There were several positives that I can build on in the off season. Today's swim was 43 seconds better than my previous 1/2mile swim time. Still a long way to go, but heading in the right direction.

Faster transitions. Thanks to tips from Deb, Steve and others, I made solid improvements here. My 1:28 T1 was a full 1:30 faster than my last race. My T2 time of :52 was a .40 improvement as well.

My running isn't back to pre-injury times, but I was happy with today's 8:20 pace for the 4 mile route.

Now I will have a few weeks of reduced training while on business travel, then I'll get back into a fall training plan.

Hope everyone has a great week.

2014-09-15 6:28 AM

User image

Expert
    Tallahassee
    Subject: RE: Last Sprint of the season
    Dave, great race, way to make improvements. Hey that sounds like an awesome swim to me. Very fast T-1, shoot it takes me longer than that to get my wetsuit off. So glad you avoided the crashes, dad gum golfers getting in the way of a race...lol Were you riding a road bike or tri bike, just curious, with all the curves and avoiding crashes...lol

I know ya'll get tired of hearing/ seeing my post and I'll be gone again next week for work, but some thoughts for this week...

swimming - I'm having better days and when it is on it is good and when it is not, well it is bad. I can tell it is good when I feel like I'm floating when I swim instead of fighting it to stay on top. I pretend I'm in space and just letting the water hold me up.

Running - When I started running 3 years ago I ran in drop 12's, then tried drop 8's and loved them then went to drop 4's. Well I still have a good pair of drop 8's and thought I'll put them on for a short run...all I can say is now I know how women feel wearing high hills. How did I EVER run in drop 12's, why are they even sold?

Hope everyone has a good week!

2014-09-15 1:29 PM

User image

Subject: First Masters workout...
    My first workout in the Lake Washington Master swim team was today. The coach shuffled the lanes so I was in the same lane as a former Olympic Silver medalist (YIKES!). Amongst many other things, we did 1400 yards of various sculling drills to get the "feel for the water". My arms are still burning!

If I can survive the workouts I'll definitely get faster!

Scott I.

BTW, on a 6x100 freestyle set, the former Olympian was finishing the 100 as I was turning at 50 yards. Kind of depressing.
    2014-09-15 2:13 PM

User image

Expert
    Tallahassee
    Subject: RE: First Masters workout...
    Originally posted by EchoLkScott

My first workout in the Lake Washington Master swim team was today. The coach shuffled the lanes so I was in the same lane as a former Olympic Silver medalist (YIKES!). Amongst many other things, we did 1400 yards of various sculling drills to get the "feel for the water". My arms are still burning!

If I can survive the workouts I'll definitely get faster!

Scott I.

BTW, on a 6x100 freestyle set, the former Olympian was finishing the 100 as I was turning at 50 yards. Kind of depressing.

I would be estatic if I was 1/2 done when the olympian finished. I think I would have just backed out if I was in that lane...lol GREAT job!!!
    2014-09-15 2:30 PM

User image

Subject: RE: First Masters workout...
    Originally posted by KWDreamun

I would be estatic if I was 1/2 done when the olympian finished. I think I would have just backed out if I was in that lane...lol GREAT job!!!

I think he was just being nice.
    2014-09-15 6:28 PM

User image

Master
    Sendai, Japan
    Subject: RE: Last Sprint of the season

Originally posted by DJP_19 Did my third Sprint today in the coastal town of Branford, Ct. It was held at a very scenic venue, with the swim starting at a beach and tennis club, then biking and running through the adjacent cottage community. The distances were .5mile swim, 13.5 bike and 4.0 mile run. It was a brisk 48 degrees at the start, but the water was warm at roughly 68 degrees. There were about 300 entrants, with the men's 45 and older group was sent out as the first wave. I tried to stay right in the pack at the swim start, but struggled to keep pace. I didn't feel very comfortable in the swim. I had some negative thoughts early on, brought on by a queasy stomach and made worse by several gulps of saltwater right out of the gate. I finally sucked it up and was feeling better as I ascended the stairs from the beach and ran across the lawn into the parking lot to T1. Time was 17:10. It was still pretty windy and cool at T1, so I threw on a long sleeve shirt for the bike. Got out of T1 in 1:28, which was a big improvement in time for me. The bike went fine, as we did two scenic loops through the cottage community/golf course/beach area. I dodged a couple golfers crossing the road and narrowly missed a crash when the cyclist in front of me had a flat that caused him to do a semi controlled crash. Overall, I felt ok on the bike, with a 43 minute ride. I had a smooth T2, getting in and out in 52 seconds, another improvement from my previous efforts. Felt like I had a decent run, since I was able to go a bit harder with no calf pain. My time was 33:20, or an 8:20 pace. Overall, I finished at #143 of 260 finishers. There were several positives that I can build on in the off season. Today's swim was 43 seconds better than my previous 1/2mile swim time. Still a long way to go, but heading in the right direction. Faster transitions. Thanks to tips from Deb, Steve and others, I made solid improvements here. My 1:28 T1 was a full 1:30 faster than my last race. My T2 time of :52 was a .40 improvement as well. My running isn't back to pre-injury times, but I was happy with today's 8:20 pace for the 4 mile route. Now I will have a few weeks of reduced training while on business travel, then I'll get back into a fall training plan. Hope everyone has a great week.

Nice job Dave!!  Glad to hear the calf is feeling better.

New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum--OPEN! Rss Feed  

of 40

RELATED POSTS

Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58

Started by Qua17
    Views: 47312 Posts: 1446

2014-12-21 7:19 PM Qua17

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
    Views: 50423 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
    Views: 19420 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
    Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31