BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum--OPEN! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 40

2014-07-24 11:54 PM
in reply to: dcon

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Subject: Oly distance race last Sunday (7/20)

Last Sunday I did an Olympic distance triathlon in a little town named Kisakata. My primary reason for doing this race was because they cancelled the swim leg of the Oly I did in mid-June.  This is the 4th time I have done this race and I had my best time by about 3.5 minutes (2:45).    The race is small with about 185 people participating plus another 25 or so doing the race as a relay.  The weather forecast leading up to the triathlon called for rain, but on Sunday morning the weather cleared and it was a gorgeous day.    Note: from the swim we did a 1.5 km run to the bike area, then 38.5 km bike (including about 275 meters of climbing and a few kilometers on fairly narrow roads through the rice fields), followed by a 10km run. I came in 42/185 overall and 8/50 in the 50 year old men's group.   

This year the race organizers used a remote controlled drone-like device to take some video of the swim area during the swim portion of the race.  If you have some extra time and are curious, check out the videos below.   You can find me in the second video at about the 0:41 and 1:34.  I am in the lower left hand side of the video wearing a yellow swim cap and full wetsuit....walking very slowly and intentionally trying to be one of the last people to start swimming (no video of me swimming).   For the swim portion, I ended up 54/185 with a 27:11.    In watching the video, I am thinking I could have been quite a bit closer to the front and still avoided much of the thrashing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0sW3S5HZPo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ5E1-c2l0U

2014-07-25 6:05 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Subject: RE: Oly distance race last Sunday (7/20)
Dan congrats on the triathlon!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dan, sorry about the chain breaking and the 4 mile walk in bike shoes... There is always good, a good excuse to get a new pair of shoes.

I just got my bike out of the shop $300, new chain, tune up, new gearing etc etc etc

Any advice of knees hurting, i have upped my mileage and intensity doing more intervals and hill repeats and long runs. I'm training for my 1st marathon in Nov and want to run it as fast as I can, not walking and not dying at the end...but with my knees should i take a week or so off or continue to just cut my mileage back as I'm doing now? What about riding?

Oh yea, I've got to go out of town again next week for work, hope eveyone has a great weekend and great week.

Wife and I went to Whole Food store last night and they had a nutritionist there explaining smoothies...it was amazing! SO EDUCATIONAL!!!!!!!!!!

karl

2014-07-25 7:32 AM
in reply to: JREDFLY

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Subject: RE: At last, a successful lake swim
Originally posted by JREDFLY

Originally posted by Mountaindan

4 miles back to my car the other night, in my bike shoes

That really stinks.

Being a bike rider I always stop to ask if the person is OK. One of the first things I did when I started riding was to practice changing a flat tire and learn how to use a Co2 cartidge which I never used before. I quickly learned to fill the tube just a little before putting the tire on so it wouldn't pinch and pop. I am really surprised how many bike riders do not know how to change a flat. But in the event of a broken chain, tube pop or accident my cell phone always comes with me just in case.

Glad you got back to your car safely Dan.

BTW - Loved Maine, I have ot figure out a way to move up there.

Thanks, i did go out and buy a Co2 setup and if I can't fix my pump I'll get another one, I typically have everything I need, just didn't plan on the pump failing on me.
Glad you enjoyed your stay up here. I guess you need to do like my wife did with us and just decided she wanted to move and pestered me until I had a moment of weakness and gave in I'm a west coast boy until the end, but there are many good aspects to living here, just wish they had some real mountains.
2014-07-25 8:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Thanks Dan, I think I have the bike all squared away now, just installed a new compact crank w' new bottom bracket ( Getting ready to pull the trigger on IM Lake Tahoe when I volunteer in September) new chain, news tires and tubes, Co2 and new pump soon, everything else looks good.

Thanks for the link, I am going to give it a try, first part talked about hips and I know a lot of my struggles with running come from tight weak hips! hoping it helps it sure can't hurt!

Great job on the Oly, I love the video from above, what a great idea, finally a good use for domestic drones.

Have a Great weekend everyone!
2014-07-25 9:47 AM
in reply to: Mountaindan

User image

Master
Maryland
Karl you have plenty of time for your November marathon. Increasing all those variables at once is hard on the body and you don't want to be injured. I think keeping the long run and easing into the hills and intervals would be helpful and allow your body to reap the gains of your training.

I just got back from Ocean City where I did some enjoyable runs and OWS : )
2014-07-25 9:51 AM
in reply to: Terps421

User image

Master
Maryland
Dan I watched the drone swim video with my husband, that was Amazing!! Thanks for sharing. Drones are going to change a lot of things but I never even thought about sport coverage yet. That was very cool.

2014-07-25 10:33 AM

User image

Spencer, New York
Originally posted by dcon

Last Sunday I did an Olympic distance triathlon in a little town named Kisakata. My primary reason for doing this race was because they cancelled the swim leg of the Oly I did in mid-June.  This is the 4th time I have done this race and I had my best time by about 3.5 minutes (2:45).    The race is small with about 185 people participating plus another 25 or so doing the race as a relay.  The weather forecast leading up to the triathlon called for rain, but on Sunday morning the weather cleared and it was a gorgeous day.    Note: from the swim we did a 1.5 km run to the bike area, then 38.5 km bike (including about 275 meters of climbing and a few kilometers on fairly narrow roads through the rice fields), followed by a 10km run. I came in 42/185 overall and 8/50 in the 50 year old men's group.   

This year the race organizers used a remote controlled drone-like device to take some video of the swim area during the swim portion of the race.  If you have some extra time and are curious, check out the videos below.   You can find me in the second video at about the 0:41 and 1:34.  I am in the lower left hand side of the video wearing a yellow swim cap and full wetsuit....walking very slowly and intentionally trying to be one of the last people to start swimming (no video of me swimming).   For the swim portion, I ended up 54/185 with a 27:11.    In watching the video, I am thinking I could have been quite a bit closer to the front and still avoided much of the thrashing.

Wow. Great race Dan; 3 1/2 minutes is a lot of improvement!
And what fun to watch the overhead videos! It's a great way to relive & share the race experience.
Deb
2014-07-25 10:45 AM

User image

Spencer, New York
Originally posted by Mountaindan

Co2 and new pump soon, everything else looks good.

Thanks for the link, I am going to give it a try, first part talked about hips and I know a lot of my struggles with running come from tight weak hips! hoping it helps it sure can't hurt!

I recently got a new pump called a Mountain Pipe. It pumps Co2 controllably or air, and even stores the CO2 cartridge. Love it! (There's nothing like blasting all your CO2 into the dirt and having no way to pump the tire!)

And amen on the hips. My knees have been so much better since I have been focusing on hips and core. I have been looking at some of the Kinetic Revolution material and am impressed. I may check out their complete program.
Deb
2014-07-25 3:14 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Mountaindan . . . maybe the sight of a 6'3" 230# man in Lycra was just too much to handle? 

Hmmm, 6'3" guy in spandex at night?  Yeah, I suppose I would question said individuals sanity.  Of course that same person of questionable sanity pushing a bike with a tire going ka-thump, ka-thump, should have probably told the rest of the story.  Oh well, sorry you didn't get help.  Glad you made it back safely.

2014-07-25 3:19 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

This year the race organizers used a remote controlled drone-like device to take some video of the swim area during the swim portion of the race.

Dan,

Thanks for sharing.  It was like they had their own Goodyear blimp.  Way cool.

Was that in the ocean on the leeward side of the island?  I have seen lakes that didn't look that good!  Really flat and clear - if only we had conditions like that here in California!

2014-07-25 5:13 PM

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Dan,

Congrats on your Tri. Nice improvement in your race time!

I loved watching the videos. I wonder how difficult it would be for race organizers to film the bike & run segments via drone? Seems like it would then be a great marketing clip to advertize the race for the following year.

Dave

2014-07-26 8:52 AM

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington

Nice work Dan. Thanks for sharing the links with the video drone.

Man, that 50+ age group was huge. Did I read your comments right that 50 out of 185 participants were in the 50+ age group? That's crazy. I've read about the age demographics in Japan skewing older. Is this an example or just a fluke? If so, I'll avoid Japan....I'd never see a podium again!

Steve
2014-07-26 4:34 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Regular
Subject: back in the saddle
After 7 weeks I was able to get back on my bike today. It was just on my trainer in the man cave but that's better than nothing. I'm still pretty sore on my entire left torso, so I had to be pretty conservative. Nonetheless I got in 45 minutes and it felt great to be back in the saddle. I'm sure I'll have a sore collar bone tonight!

Steve

(man cave bike.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
man cave bike.jpg (73KB - 3 downloads)
2014-07-26 4:36 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Subject: ---

Edited by lutzman 2014-07-26 6:40 PM
2014-07-26 6:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Subject: RE: back in the saddle
Nice Mancave! Looks nicer than mine, but maybe a little too plush?

Made it through a bike rude this morning with no issues! that's one in a row, hopefully I can make it 2 in a day or so. Anniversary tomorrow so I think I will be spending the day with my wife maybe sitting in the Adirondacks enjoying a few beverages along the river.
2014-07-26 7:07 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Originally posted by lutzman After 7 weeks I was able to get back on my bike today. It was just on my trainer in the man cave but that's better than nothing. I'm still pretty sore on my entire left torso, so I had to be pretty conservative. Nonetheless I got in 45 minutes and it felt great to be back in the saddle. I'm sure I'll have a sore collar bone tonight! Steve

That will be a good sore as long as you weren't hanging out in aero--which I kind of doubt at this stage of healing.

I slogged through my run today, couldn't wake up early enough to beat the heat and it felt sluggish.  At least it don't hurt......but some hornet stung me the other night and my back where he stung me is looking pretty angry.  Not too crazy about seeing a Dr for another round of antibiotics (just finished one from when the cat bit me and my gut took a week to get back to normal after that!)

2014-07-26 7:33 PM

User image

Spencer, New York
Originally posted by lutzman

After 7 weeks I was able to get back on my bike today. It was just on my trainer in the man cave but that's better than nothing. I'm still pretty sore on my entire left torso, so I had to be pretty conservative. Nonetheless I got in 45 minutes and it felt great to be back in the saddle. I'm sure I'll have a sore collar bone tonight!

Steve

Hooray for you Steve. And it looks like your bike is ok too.
Deb
2014-07-27 2:50 AM
in reply to: ok2try

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan

Great to hear you are officially back in the saddle Steve.  Turns out I made a mistake on the number of 50 year olds in the race.  It was actually 40/185 male racers in their 50s.

Scott: Leeward?  I'm not sure.  I think both ocean facing sides of the main island get their share of wind and waves, but I think that side is in general a little calmer.   The race was only about 40 minutes drive north from my June race where the swim was cancelled because of high waves.  Anyway, last Sunday was as nice as I have seen it.

Deb:  I picked up the complete Kinetics program.  If you sign up for the 30 day challenge, I think you will get an email on the 29th or 30th day with a pretty good discount.  I ended up paying about $25, but will not get around to using it until after my season ends.  

Judi:  watch out for that heat and humidity.  I made the mistake of not getting on my bike until noon yesterday.  My target was to ride 5 hours, but I bailed at 3.5 because I felt I was starting to overheat (fortunately or unfortunately, I know from a few previous experiences and pulling the plug was the right move).  My bike computer said the temp was 95-96 so I figure I was getting cooked from both the sun above and the reflected road heat below.    Hope your back is better - ouch!

2014-07-27 2:53 AM
in reply to: Terps421

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan

Originally posted by Terps421 Karl you have plenty of time for your November marathon. Increasing all those variables at once is hard on the body and you don't want to be injured. I think keeping the long run and easing into the hills and intervals would be helpful and allow your body to reap the gains of your training. I just got back from Ocean City where I did some enjoyable runs and OWS : )

Karl:  X2 on what Linda said.  Drop the intensity and see if the pain goes away.   Are you following a specific plan?

2014-07-27 6:32 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Thanks Dan and Linda, yea I'll take ya'll's advice. I'll cut 1 day of intensity out. I was following Handen's marathon training plan and with this being my 1st marathon and being old, it may have been to much. Thanks!!!

Steve, so glad you are recovering and have been able to get on the bike.

Ya'll take care and I see the gray group when I get home next week
2014-07-27 11:19 AM

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Steve, so glad to read that you're back on the bike! And I second the notion that you have a plush mancave. Mine is much more, ahem, "rustic"

Did my own re-entry yesterday as I began running after a 2 month layoff. Easy mile yesterday with no pain, so will do a few more light sessions this week in prep for a sprint event next Sunday. I don't expect a pr next week, but hoping at least the swim and bike are solid.

Today I'm standing by for reports from IM Lake Placid, since a few guys from my town are entered.

Hope everyone has a good week.

Dave

2014-07-27 11:39 AM
in reply to: DJP_19

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Dang Judi, watch out for all those biters out there! Hope you recover Quickly!

Dave, glad to hear you were able to run, hopefully you can continue with out any problems! Good luck on your upcoming sprint!
Weather is definitely a factor for IMLP today, I guess they had to pull the swimmers on the 2nd lap because of lightening and now they are under a flash flood warning according to friends there. We are just starting to get some weather up here in Maine, good day to relax for a change!

Does anybody have any recommendations for cycling shoes? Is there anything special to consider? Really don't think I want to spend $300 for a pair of shoes, but want something good also.after the episode last week shoes probably dont need replacing, but might want to get some new ones just the same, mine have never been completely comfortable. I just don't really know how to go about selecting a new pair?

Dan
2014-07-27 1:53 PM
in reply to: DJP_19

User image

Spencer, New York
Originally posted by DJP_19

Steve, so glad to read that you're back on the bike! And I second the notion that you have a plush mancave. Mine is much more, ahem, "rustic"

Dave

Never mind the man cave. The BIKE is beautiful!

But I will match it with my waterfall. Took these pix on a training run yesterday at the site of the Cayuga Lake Tri, which is in one week. We run along the gorge and the turnaround is at the waterfall, where the people are standing bottom right in the photo.
Another outstanding thing about this race, besides the scenery, is that it is all club organized and volunteer run (professional timing, of course.) I'll be spending Saturday helping to set up the course. It's a huge undertaking.
Deb

(The run is along this gorge.jpg)

(the run turnaround is where people are at bottom right.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
The run is along this gorge.jpg (29KB - 2 downloads)
the run turnaround is where people are at bottom right.JPG (21KB - 3 downloads)
2014-07-27 2:36 PM
in reply to: ok2try

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-07-27 2:43 PM

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by lutzman After 7 weeks I was able to get back on my bike today. It was just on my trainer in the man cave but that's better than nothing. I'm still pretty sore on my entire left torso, so I had to be pretty conservative. Nonetheless I got in 45 minutes and it felt great to be back in the saddle. I'm sure I'll have a sore collar bone tonight! Steve

Steve,

Glad you are back at it!  Also good to see your bike survived unscathed.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum--OPEN! Rss Feed  

of 40

RELATED POSTS

Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58

Started by Qua17
Views: 47147 Posts: 1446

2014-12-21 7:19 PM Qua17

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 50192 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19322 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31