BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum--OPEN! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 40

2014-08-18 12:11 PM
in reply to: Terps421

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Subject: RE: Friday, Friday, Friday...no work till Monday
Steve, you are doing GREAT! The fitness level will come back very fast and you will see incredible results. Yea just stay on the stationary bike so there will be no crashes but be careful, I did hve 1 friend who fell off the trainer. lol

That is awesome on the dreadmill...... that is like running 4.5 hours outside....

Well I'm still kicking, I've just been out of town working and such. I am training for the marathon and ultra a few weeks later BUT I am starting to get in the pool every day, even if it is just 15 - 20 minhutes...

I'll try to catch up with everyone soon.
Take care

2014-08-18 9:16 PM
in reply to: EchoLkScott

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Originally posted by EchoLkScott

Hi Steve,

It sounds like you're making good progress!

I'm racing next weekend (August 24th) at at the lake Meridian triathlon. I'm doing the sprint. It's on the long side for a sprint: 1/2 mile swim, 16.4 mile bike, 3.1 mile run. Should be a good challenge for me. My first and only triathlon was a mini-sprint with distances about half of this one.

I finally managed to get my run up to 3 miles. My calf was a little tight afterward, but seems to be holding together. Hopefully I'm healed to the point I can progress rapidly!

Tomorrow I'm heading up to Lake Stevens to check out the Ironman 70.3. It's only 15 miles north of my house - I often ride my bike past Lk Stevens. Maybe next year I can compete ...

Scott I.

Good luck, Scott. If Lake Meridian is a little long, I think Lake Sammamish is the same weekend. The swim is a breeze and I'm pretty sure the bike is close to regulation. It's a fun race.

Steve

2014-08-21 9:45 AM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Spencer, New York
Subject: RE: Kinetic Revolution final report
I had to give it up after the first 10 days. Too many things were too strenuous on the knees. I guess my previous routine of hip-strengthening exercises (from RunnersConnect.com) and static stretching is more suited to me. I'm wondering if anyone else is still doing it?
My old leg issues started to flare up; I'm not saying the 2 things are connected. I'm also increasing my run volume in preparation for cross-country season. Slowing down the increase and a visit to my ART therapist are working for me, though.
Scott I, good luck on your race this weekend!! Anyone else?
I have one more Sprint Tri on the 30th. Just to get my 3 races so I can have my USAT ranking.
Good luck & safe training to all!
Deb
2014-08-21 7:05 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Originally posted by lutzman

• I'm racing next weekend (August 24th) at at the lake Meridian triathlon. I'm doing the sprint. It's on the long side for a sprint: 1/2 mile swim, 16.4 mile bike, 3.1 mile run. Should be a good challenge for me. My first and only triathlon was a mini-sprint with distances about half of this one.

• Scott I.

Good luck, Scott. If Lake Meridian is a little long, I think Lake Sammamish is the same weekend. The swim is a breeze and I'm pretty sure the bike is close to regulation. It's a fun race.

Steve

Thanks Steve!

I'm already entered in the Lake Meridian Tri. Even though it is longer, I feel confident in the swim. I've done two Friday Night Swim Races at that distance at the same venue. The bike I'm sure I can complete at a steady pace. I'm not sure how much I'll have left for the run, but I can walk most of it if necessary. I'm looking forward to it!

Lake Sammamish looks like a good venue! I'll do that one next year.

How are you feeling?

Scott I.
    2014-08-22 9:46 AM
    in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
    Charlottesville, Virginia
    Originally posted by ok2try

I had to give it up after the first 10 days. Too many things were too strenuous on the knees. I guess my previous routine of hip-strengthening exercises (from RunnersConnect.com) and static stretching is more suited to me. I'm wondering if anyone else is still doing it?
    My old leg issues started to flare up; I'm not saying the 2 things are connected. I'm also increasing my run volume in preparation for cross-country season. Slowing down the increase and a visit to my ART therapist are working for me, though.
    I have one more Sprint Tri on the 30th. Just to get my 3 races so I can have my USAT ranking.
    Deb

Hi Deb. Just did Day 7. Wow... week 2 is not for the fainthearted... or faintkneed anyway. My left knee has always been weak and I can tell this week is definitely going to stress it. So, I can relate. Anyway, despite what'shisnamewiththeBritishaccent's encouragement to do it daily, I'm just going to try to do 30 days, but not necessarily in a row. We'll see how frisky is he when he's in his mid-50s ;-)

Stu

Edited by juneapple 2014-08-22 11:47 AM
    2014-08-25 5:46 PM
    in reply to: juneapple

User image

Veteran
    Kennebunkport, Qatar
    Originally posted by juneapple

Originally posted by ok2try

Deb

Hi Deb. Just did Day 7. Wow... week 2 is not for the fainthearted... or faintkneed anyway. My left knee has always been weak and I can tell this week is definitely going to stress it. So, I can relate. Anyway, despite what'shisnamewiththeBritishaccent's encouragement to do it daily, I'm just going to try to do 30 days, but not necessarily in a row. We'll see how frisky is he when he's in his mid-50s ;-)

Stu

Just started over last night, we'll see if if I can keep it going this time? Way too busy over this summer to do much of anything with consistency.

I hope everyone is doing well, Hopefully I can catch up on everyone's activities this week.

2014-08-26 12:29 AM

User image

Subject: Lake Meridian Triathlon...
    I completed the Lake Meridian sprint Sunday (0.5 mile swim, 16.4 mile bike, 3.1 mile run) in just over 2 hours (2:01:41 to be exact). I didn't quite meet my goal to finish under 2 hours but I'm still feel good about the performance.

The primary reason I missed my goal was the run. I had hoped my calf would feel fine and I could run the entire 3.1 miles. Unfortunately, it was pretty obvious from the beginning of the run that that wasn't going to happen. My calf was tight and on the verge of cramping. I went to my fall-back strategy of run (1 minute) / walk (10 seconds) for the majority of the run. The good news is I don't think I aggravated the calf injury. The bad news is that the calf isn't as healed as I had thought. I guess it is time to go back to the doctor for advice - or perhaps a physical therapist.

Scott I.
    2014-08-26 5:44 AM

User image

Spencer, New York
    Subject: RE: Lake Meridian Triathlon...

I completed the Lake Meridian sprint Sunday (0.5 mile swim, 16.4 mile bike, 3.1 mile run) in just over 2 hours (2:01:41 to be exact). I didn't quite meet my goal to finish under 2 hours but I'm still feel good about the performance.

The primary reason I missed my goal was the run. I had hoped my calf would feel fine and I could run the entire 3.1 miles. Unfortunately, it was pretty obvious from the beginning of the run that that wasn't going to happen. My calf was tight and on the verge of cramping. I went to my fall-back strategy of run (1 minute) / walk (10 seconds) for the majority of the run. The good news is I don't think I aggravated the calf injury. The bad news is that the calf isn't as healed as I had thought. I guess it is time to go back to the doctor for advice - or perhaps a physical therapist.

Scott I.

Congratulations on finishing the race that you knew would be a challenge! Don't sell yourself short. You used wisdom in taking care of your calf.
    I have found PT to be very helpful. Also see if you can get an analysis of your running mechanics to make sure there isn't something in your form that is aggravating your injury. A PT who works with local runners may include that as part of her/his practice.
    Good luck & hang in there!
    Deb
    2014-08-26 10:20 PM

User image

Regular
    East Wenatchee, Washington

Scott I.

Congrats on your finish Scott.

It's probably worth seeing a good PT for your calf issues. I've found that I can often get muscle imbalances that lead to chronic inflammation...and then injury. It's possible that just a few sessions with a PT will calm it down. Or, they may be able to watch you run and give you a few drills to address any issues with your stride. In any case, the older I get the less I feel like I can rely on self healing...the PT pros really do help me.

Hope your better soon.

Steve
    2014-08-27 8:27 AM

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
    Hey Scott,

Congrats on the Sprint finish! Sounds like you made the wise move on the run. Wish I was that smart back in June .

Dave
    2014-08-27 9:22 AM
    in reply to: DJP_19

User image

Expert
    Tallahassee
    Scott congrats on your Tri. Have you used a foam roller?

Well it has been to hot here to run in the evenings 100's, so I'm swimming in our backyard pool. It is only 38 feet long so lots of stopping and starting but I have been getting in the pool almost every day but for short periods of time like 20 - 30 minutes. I'm feeling better in the water but still can't float on my back.

I hope everyone is doing really good, training hard and staying well.
    karl

2014-08-27 6:50 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Gold member

Scott I.

Good job Scott!

2014-08-27 8:37 PM

User image

New user
    Hingham, MA

(2:01:41 to be exact).

Scott I.

Nice job Scott! Especially with a calf issue.Not fun, been there.

Keep it up but be careful.
    2014-08-27 11:49 PM
    in reply to: KWDreamun

User image

Originally posted by KWDreamun

Scott congrats on your Tri. Have you used a foam roller?

• karl

Thanks Karl (and everyone else that has responded). I use a tennis ball, but haven't used a foam roller. You're the third person to recommend one, so I guess I'd better go get one!

The calf feels a lot better already. I'll try a little running this weekend.

Thanks!
    Scott
    2014-08-28 10:49 PM

User image

Master
    Sendai, Japan

Congrats Scott!!  Glad to hear that you did not force that run.  

Steve: nice to see your recovery progress.

Deb:  I purposely put off starting the 30 day challenge until after my triathlons are done.  I am planning to cut back on my running and give priority to the challenge followed by his 6 week program.   I know from previous attempts that any kind of leg related muscle training and run intensity just don't work for me.   One other point: the challenge and 6 week program stretch and strengthen the muscles you should be using for running.  They also train the movements you should be using when you run.  If all that works out right, the places that hurt should no longer hurt (like the ITB).

2014-08-29 6:47 AM
    in reply to: KWDreamun

User image

Spencer, New York
    Originally posted by KWDreamun

Well it has been to hot here to run in the evenings 100's
    karl

We pick our poison, I guess. Here in upstate New York we have had an unusually cool summer. Afternoon temps in the mid 80's are the high. That is great for working out.
    But the early morning temps are in the 50's, also great for a workout but not so much fun in a race (or race simulation) where you start your bike leg at that temp in a wet tri suit!
    Also not so much fun in January running outside in zero-degree weather. At least this winter, being newly retired, I can run in the daytime instead of the dark.
    I believe I'd rather have all this coldness though than your climate!
    BTW if your pool is deep enough, check out aquajogging. You can get a good run workout in 20-30 minutes if you keep good form.
    Deb

2014-08-29 4:10 PM
    in reply to: dcon

User image

Spencer, New York
    Subject: RE: Last tri of the season.
    Well, my last tri of the season is tomorrow, and it is a special one. I am dedicating it to expanding awareness of and fundraising for an organization that is dear to my heart because it lies at the intersection of 2 things I love: cycling and human rights. The organization is called mountain2mountain. It was started by a mountain biker from Colorado, who has spent the last several years nurturing, promoting, and equipping a women's cycling team in Afghanistan.
    When we go out biking, our biggest fear might be a crash, or even just a mechanical breakdown. In Afghanistan, where cycling is traditionally taboo for women, you might fear intentional harm being done to yourself and your family, just because you are on a bike. The courage of these women and their families just catches at my heart.
    This Saturday is the occasion of their Global Ride for Solidarity; its purpose is to raise both awareness and funds for the team's participation in the upcoming Asian Games. Since I had already committed to this triathlon, I decided to use it as my part of this Global Ride. Specifically, I am foregoing the hotel stay on the night before and leaving for the race at 3:45 am. I will donate the cost of the hotel to their project.
    I'd love it if you took the time to at least visit mountain2mountain.org to learn more. Of course I'd love it even more if you made a donation, either through that website or you can do it through justgive.org.
    Thanks for listening to my soapbox. At least I'm not asking you to dump a pail of water on your head!
    Deb
    2014-08-30 4:51 AM
    in reply to: ok2try

User image

Master
    Sendai, Japan

Good luck Deb!!  

2014-08-30 7:06 AM
    in reply to: dcon

User image

Expert
    Tallahassee
    Good Luck Deb, can't wait to see your RR.

For those of ya'll travelling be careful and have a nice holiday.
    2014-08-30 10:58 AM
    in reply to: ok2try

User image

Good luck Deb!

I checked out the web-site. It sounds like a great cause!

Scott I.
    2014-08-30 6:32 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
    West Chester, Ohio

Deb,

That is an awesome cause to ride for.  What a wonderful way to show solidarity with those women in Afghanistan!

2014-09-01 7:33 AM
    in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Royal(PITA)
    West Chester, Ohio

I have decided to pull out of my half marathon.  I have to commute for the next 6 weeks which are big build times for me.  That 40 minute drive each way makes it hard to get the quality training in that I need.  My legs just were not cooperating with the build too--and after forcing myself to do the marathon last fall (and hating every minute of it) I am not going there again.  There is an 8K same day by the same race organization so I have emailed them to switch over to the 8K.  Feel like the weight of the world is off my shoulders.  Going to celebrate by riding my bike today.

2014-09-02 10:47 AM

User image

Expert
    Tallahassee
    Yea, this is supposed to be fun and for health, enjoy your ride and 8k!!!
    2014-09-02 2:59 PM

User image

Master
    Maryland
    Judi it is great that you can realize health is more important! Now you can enjoy the 8k!!
    2014-09-02 6:45 PM
    in reply to: Terps421

User image

Veteran
    Kennebunkport, Qatar
    Judy, it is always hard to pullout, but you will probably be further ahead by doing so. As others have said it is supposed to be fun!

My year has been pretty much a complete bust as far as training and racing, just too much going on in life this summer and needed a rest from one more thing to add stress and another time commitment.
    But on the bright side I did participate in our clubs annual end of the year lobster bake and got to spend time with friends on a beautiful Maine day!

heading to Lake Tahoe in 2 weeks to volunteer at Ironman Lake Tahoe and hopefully get ready to pull the trigger on a huge endeavor!

(10481918_10204740188966875_5485382554043647539_n.jpg)

Attachments
    ----------------
    10481918_10204740188966875_5485382554043647539_n.jpg (98KB - 4 downloads)
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum--OPEN! Rss Feed  

of 40

RELATED POSTS

Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58

Started by Qua17
    Views: 47152 Posts: 1446

2014-12-21 7:19 PM Qua17

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
    Views: 50209 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
    Views: 19329 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
    Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31