BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint/Oly Focus Group - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2014-07-04 7:35 PM
in reply to: marriedthepoolguy

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: Dominion's Sprint/Oly Focus Group - OPEN

Originally posted by marriedthepoolguy In response to the folks that run faster after a bike ride: I have also experienced this, and a local tri coach here explained that it's because your "slow twitch" muscles are already primed and ready to go from being on the bike. Which is good because slow twitch muscles are key in endurance activities. And there's your fun factoid for July 4th. . Enjoy!

While this may be true, I think much of it is perception.  You are spinning your legs at 80 to 90 rpm for an hour or more, and then when you run your legs are turning over at a much slower rate.  Even though you may be running a faster pace than normal the legs feel like they are turning over slowly relative to what you have become accustomed to on the bike.

2014-07-05 11:59 AM
in reply to: Dominion

User image

Hope everyone is having a happy 4th of July weekend!!

I finally am getting the hang of uploading workouts. Still trying to figure out when I can do HIM or IM training. I am at about 9 hours a week now (or just a little under) and think I could do REV3 70.3 on JUNE 1. But, I'd really like to do IM. I know.. I know.. I get a lot of people trying to talk me out of doing a IM too soon, but Im thinking JULY, AUG, SEPT, OCT 2015. Guess I need to look at the races again and give myself enough time from the JUNE 1 date to fix any under-training issues.
2014-07-05 5:35 PM

User image

North Grafton, Massachusetts
Originally posted by Dominion

Originally posted by marriedthepoolguy In response to the folks that run faster after a bike ride: I have also experienced this, and a local tri coach here explained that it's because your "slow twitch" muscles are already primed and ready to go from being on the bike. Which is good because slow twitch muscles are key in endurance activities. And there's your fun factoid for July 4th. . Enjoy!

While this may be true, I think much of it is perception.  You are spinning your legs at 80 to 90 rpm for an hour or more, and then when you run your legs are turning over at a much slower rate.  Even though you may be running a faster pace than normal the legs feel like they are turning over slowly relative to what you have become accustomed to on the bike.

I think you're right about it being perception. I certainly am not claiming that I run faster. In fact, I know I'm running slower than my straight 5K time. But my perception during the run is that I'm shuffling my feet and barely making a 12:00 mile. However, when I get done and look at my watch, I'm surprised to see it was much more like a 9:40 pace!
2014-07-05 5:43 PM
in reply to: marriedthepoolguy

User image

Subject: Full practice tri this morning
I'm just about 5 weeks out from my first ever triathlon, so I decided to do a practice run today with full length distances on all events. My swim was in the pool at the Y and my T2 was done out of the back of my car and I had to chain my bike to a telephone pole. So I don't really want to even try to estimate what my transition times were.

The rest of it went really well for my first time doing all events together. My swim was the fastest I've posted to date. I did a full 600m in 14:57, which averages out to about 13:42 for my event distance of 600 yds. I don't know if was the remnants of Hurricane Arthur or something else, but the wind was severe today! Wind gusts over 20 mph, at times knocking 6+ mph off my usual speeds. Anyway, finished the 14 miles in 56:10. Didn't feel the wind affected my run as much as my bike and finished it with a respectable (for me) 5K time of 29:55. So total time not counting transitions was 1:39:47. I figure if I could keep my transition times down to 4:00 or less total, that would get me under 1:45:00 for the event. Very happy with the results for my first ever attempt at those distances back-to-back!
2014-07-05 8:56 PM
in reply to: #5021647

Ouch. I wiped out on my bike today at team practice. First bike accident - I can cross that one off now. We had a pretty hard swim first, so I was a little tired, and I think I turned my bike as well when I turned my head to look at a horse and buggy coming down the cross street (we're in Amish country). We ride on country roads with no shoulder, so I veered into gravel and narrowly stayed out of the ditch/trees. My whole right side is skinned up, and I have a huge nasty bruise on my left thigh from the saddle. Could have been much worse, and I'm very thankful it wasn't. I may need to take a few days off though until the swelling goes down - and I don't wanna!!
2014-07-05 9:01 PM
in reply to: rjchilds8

User image

Originally posted by rjchilds8

I think you're right about it being perception. I certainly am not claiming that I run faster. In fact, I know I'm running slower than my straight 5K time. But my perception during the run is that I'm shuffling my feet and barely making a 12:00 mile. However, when I get done and look at my watch, I'm surprised to see it was much more like a 9:40 pace!

Certainly agree. If I can just keep doing something that vaguely looks like running but feels like stumbling I will be somewhere between 9-10 min pace.

I did work on some of the brick runs this week. Two 20 mile rides followed by 1 mile run. First was a 9:20 mile and had a slower bike. Second was a 8min mile with a faster bike. I did a quick straight leg stretch. Also notice that the first quarter mile felt good and then I lost my wind. If I pushed thru I felt goodish again after the second quarter mile. Plan to do a couple more this week as well.

New bike is definitely helping with the motivation to ride. 40miles is the biggest bike week I have had.

2014-07-06 10:50 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pacific Northwest, Washington
Race Report: Righteous Richland Sprint Tri
July 5, 2014

I drove down to the race venue the day before to check it out. Bad idea! Silly me, I’d totally forgotten it was Independence Day, and as all waterfront parks on Independence Day, it was so totally packed, I couldn’t even get close. I saw the masses of people and vehicles and did a quick U-turn before I got trapped in the crush and headed back to where I was staying for the night, an hour and a half north.

I only got about two hours of sleep because of all the partying, fireworks, and sirens. Fortunately, sleep deprivation is a pretty normal state for me, so I’m always prepared with plenty of caffeine, and, if that isn’t enough, a taser.

The park was a mess! I couldn’t believe the amount of garbage! I was appalled by the amount of trash left behind from the previous day. I think it delayed the start of the race as park workers and volunteers worked hard to clean up as much as they could. Finally, we all walked up to the swim starting point a half mile upstream, and they started us all off together—men, women, teams, and kids. I held back about 15 seconds to let the faster people get a head start, and then I started swimming. As before, I struggled to get the rhythm of my breathing down and swam for the first few minutes with my head above water. I finally got it, and then settled into a good rhythm and started passing people. I made good time to end buoy and made it out of the water without face planting myself. Total swim time 11:45, which is excellent!

I remembered what I did wrong last race and didn’t make the same mistakes in the transition. Made it to my bike, out of my swim gear, and on with my socks and shoes. I thought I made really good time and was surprised to find out later how long this transition actually took (3:53). I would have thought it was about a minute and a half less. I am not sure why it took so long or what I could do differently next time.

The bike ride started on the street for about 2 1/2 miles until we got to the off-road part. I did really well on the street portion, averaging probably 18 mph, and I passed a bunch of people. Once I got to the off-road area, I was still able to maintain a pretty good speed, probably about 9 mph. The seven miles of trail was very narrow and rocky with lots of low-hanging branches, brush hanging over the trail, roots, ruts, soft sandy spots, and lots and lots and lots of immediate hairpin turns. I got smacked in the head by one branch and my body took a pounding as my knees and hips absorbed the jolts, and it started wearing me out. I did really well until about 2/3 down the trail, and then I started tiring. I had problems keeping my bike on the trail, which caused me to slow down, and two people passed me. I then came to a small, but pretty steep ravine, with a drop-off on one side, and I decided not to chance it. I was there to have fun, not to get hurt, so I got off my bike, let everyone pass me, and walked it. Total time 1:02:51, for an average speed of 11.5 mph, which I think is pretty good, all things considered.

I made it back to the transition area OK and off and running. My second transition was 1:30, which I’m pretty happy with. I had to move someone’s gear out of the way to rack my bike, but that didn’t add more than a few seconds, and I took a few seconds to hydrate with some PowerAde.

I started out running great. The first mile was great. I’d been doing bricks a lot and really working on my running, and it was paying off. I ran a pretty good pace most of the first mile, and nobody passed me. But then I just fizzled out. I reached the half way point, and couldn’t run anymore. A couple people passed me, and I knew at that point I was in last place. I couldn’t even walk fast. My hips hurt from the pounding I took on the mountain bike, as well as the pounding from running on the paved path, and my poor Alaskan body was baking in the hot desert sun. I walked most of the rest of the way and managed to summon up enough energy to start jogging once I entered the park again and across the finish line. Total run time: 56:44, which is pretty bad. I’d hoped to run it in 40 minutes.

So, I did finish DFL. But even though I was DFL, I did finish, and there were a handful of people who didn't. And, I am very, very happy with my final time: 2:16:43. Since it was an off-road race, I’d hoped I would finish in under 2 1/2 hours, but feared it would be closer to 3, which is what it felt like! I’d like to compete in this race again next year, and I know what I can do differently to improve my time. First, I think strength training over the winter will help me control my bike better when the terrain wants to send me one way, and I want to go another. Second, I need a LOT more off-road practice so my body can get used to the pounding and jarring. And I need to incorporate bricks into this. Third, I found out after the event that the race organizers had practice swims and bike rides the month leading up to the event. Even though it’s a long drive, I think it would be worth it to attend at least one of these practice sessions next year. I bet somebody would even be willing to let me couch surf so I don’t have to make the 500-mile round trip the same day. I might even be able to find someone to couch surf with so I don't have to stay so far away the night before the race next year, too. (I don't like hotels!) And fourth, I need to be more aware during my transitions so I can figure out where I can cut time. I have no clue what I could have done differently, except run faster.

It was a good race. I learned a lot and had fun, and I’m very happy with my results! Woohoo! On to the Race the River in Coeur d’Alene in three weeks!

Edited by burner2 2014-07-06 2:25 PM
2014-07-06 8:40 PM
in reply to: burner2

User image

Originally posted by burner2

Race Report: Righteous Richland Sprint Tri
July 5, 2014

I drove down to the race venue the day before to check it out. Bad idea! Silly me, I’d totally forgotten it was Independence Day, and as all waterfront parks on Independence Day, it was so totally packed, I couldn’t even get close. I saw the masses of people and vehicles and did a quick U-turn before I got trapped in the crush and headed back to where I was staying for the night, an hour and a half north.

I only got about two hours of sleep because of all the partying, fireworks, and sirens. Fortunately, sleep deprivation is a pretty normal state for me, so I’m always prepared with plenty of caffeine, and, if that isn’t enough, a taser.

The park was a mess! I couldn’t believe the amount of garbage! I was appalled by the amount of trash left behind from the previous day. I think it delayed the start of the race as park workers and volunteers worked hard to clean up as much as they could. Finally, we all walked up to the swim starting point a half mile upstream, and they started us all off together—men, women, teams, and kids. I held back about 15 seconds to let the faster people get a head start, and then I started swimming. As before, I struggled to get the rhythm of my breathing down and swam for the first few minutes with my head above water. I finally got it, and then settled into a good rhythm and started passing people. I made good time to end buoy and made it out of the water without face planting myself. Total swim time 11:45, which is excellent!

I remembered what I did wrong last race and didn’t make the same mistakes in the transition. Made it to my bike, out of my swim gear, and on with my socks and shoes. I thought I made really good time and was surprised to find out later how long this transition actually took (3:53). I would have thought it was about a minute and a half less. I am not sure why it took so long or what I could do differently next time.

The bike ride started on the street for about 2 1/2 miles until we got to the off-road part. I did really well on the street portion, averaging probably 18 mph, and I passed a bunch of people. Once I got to the off-road area, I was still able to maintain a pretty good speed, probably about 9 mph. The seven miles of trail was very narrow and rocky with lots of low-hanging branches, brush hanging over the trail, roots, ruts, soft sandy spots, and lots and lots and lots of immediate hairpin turns. I got smacked in the head by one branch and my body took a pounding as my knees and hips absorbed the jolts, and it started wearing me out. I did really well until about 2/3 down the trail, and then I started tiring. I had problems keeping my bike on the trail, which caused me to slow down, and two people passed me. I then came to a small, but pretty steep ravine, with a drop-off on one side, and I decided not to chance it. I was there to have fun, not to get hurt, so I got off my bike, let everyone pass me, and walked it. Total time 1:02:51, for an average speed of 11.5 mph, which I think is pretty good, all things considered.

I made it back to the transition area OK and off and running. My second transition was 1:30, which I’m pretty happy with. I had to move someone’s gear out of the way to rack my bike, but that didn’t add more than a few seconds, and I took a few seconds to hydrate with some PowerAde.

I started out running great. The first mile was great. I’d been doing bricks a lot and really working on my running, and it was paying off. I ran a pretty good pace most of the first mile, and nobody passed me. But then I just fizzled out. I reached the half way point, and couldn’t run anymore. A couple people passed me, and I knew at that point I was in last place. I couldn’t even walk fast. My hips hurt from the pounding I took on the mountain bike, as well as the pounding from running on the paved path, and my poor Alaskan body was baking in the hot desert sun. I walked most of the rest of the way and managed to summon up enough energy to start jogging once I entered the park again and across the finish line. Total run time: 56:44, which is pretty bad. I’d hoped to run it in 40 minutes.

So, I did finish DFL. But even though I was DFL, I did finish, and there were a handful of people who didn't. And, I am very, very happy with my final time: 2:16:43. Since it was an off-road race, I’d hoped I would finish in under 2 1/2 hours, but feared it would be closer to 3, which is what it felt like! I’d like to compete in this race again next year, and I know what I can do differently to improve my time. First, I think strength training over the winter will help me control my bike better when the terrain wants to send me one way, and I want to go another. Second, I need a LOT more off-road practice so my body can get used to the pounding and jarring. And I need to incorporate bricks into this. Third, I found out after the event that the race organizers had practice swims and bike rides the month leading up to the event. Even though it’s a long drive, I think it would be worth it to attend at least one of these practice sessions next year. I bet somebody would even be willing to let me couch surf so I don’t have to make the 500-mile round trip the same day. I might even be able to find someone to couch surf with so I don't have to stay so far away the night before the race next year, too. (I don't like hotels!) And fourth, I need to be more aware during my transitions so I can figure out where I can cut time. I have no clue what I could have done differently, except run faster.

It was a good race. I learned a lot and had fun, and I’m very happy with my results! Woohoo! On to the Race the River in Coeur d’Alene in three weeks!

Congrats on your race. Sounds like a tough bike. Is that all single track stuff or wider so people can pass ect.?
2014-07-06 8:48 PM

User image

Here are the pics of my new bike.

Registered for my race 7/19 supposed to be a moderate course. Will be interesting to see how I run and bike on hills. Everything is really flat. May need to watch a you tube video for climbing advice on the bike. So far about 450 people registered and 20 guys in my age group

If I can find two more races in this series I will qualify for the points chase. With two races I'm in 26th place. Maybe able to squeeze a super sprint. I ready planned an Oly at the end of the year.

This weeks summary. No swims as the pool was closed
B: 1h10m - 39.3m (2 rides)
R: 1h41m - 11.8m (4 runs)

Nate

Edited by nrpoulin 2014-07-06 8:51 PM

(bike2.jpg)

(bike.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
bike2.jpg (133KB - 2 downloads)
bike.jpg (133KB - 2 downloads)
2014-07-06 10:02 PM

User image

Pacific Northwest, Washington
Originally posted by nrpoulin
Congrats on your race. Sounds like a tough bike. Is that all single track stuff or wider so people can pass ect.?

Thanks! It was ALL single track! For someone to pass, the person in front had to stop and pull completely off the trail. There were some areas that went through desert scrub, instead of dense foliage, but it was full of broken glass, thorns, big rocks, wolves, and other nasty stuff.

That is a wicked looking bike! SWEEEET!!!

Edited by burner2 2014-07-06 10:03 PM
2014-07-07 7:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by burner2 Race Report: Righteous Richland Sprint Tri July 5, 2014 I drove down to the race venue the day before to check it out. Bad idea! Silly me, I’d totally forgotten it was Independence Day, and as all waterfront parks on Independence Day, it was so totally packed, I couldn’t even get close. I saw the masses of people and vehicles and did a quick U-turn before I got trapped in the crush and headed back to where I was staying for the night, an hour and a half north. I only got about two hours of sleep because of all the partying, fireworks, and sirens. Fortunately, sleep deprivation is a pretty normal state for me, so I’m always prepared with plenty of caffeine, and, if that isn’t enough, a taser. The park was a mess! I couldn’t believe the amount of garbage! I was appalled by the amount of trash left behind from the previous day. I think it delayed the start of the race as park workers and volunteers worked hard to clean up as much as they could. Finally, we all walked up to the swim starting point a half mile upstream, and they started us all off together—men, women, teams, and kids. I held back about 15 seconds to let the faster people get a head start, and then I started swimming. As before, I struggled to get the rhythm of my breathing down and swam for the first few minutes with my head above water. I finally got it, and then settled into a good rhythm and started passing people. I made good time to end buoy and made it out of the water without face planting myself. Total swim time 11:45, which is excellent! I remembered what I did wrong last race and didn’t make the same mistakes in the transition. Made it to my bike, out of my swim gear, and on with my socks and shoes. I thought I made really good time and was surprised to find out later how long this transition actually took (3:53). I would have thought it was about a minute and a half less. I am not sure why it took so long or what I could do differently next time. The bike ride started on the street for about 2 1/2 miles until we got to the off-road part. I did really well on the street portion, averaging probably 18 mph, and I passed a bunch of people. Once I got to the off-road area, I was still able to maintain a pretty good speed, probably about 9 mph. The seven miles of trail was very narrow and rocky with lots of low-hanging branches, brush hanging over the trail, roots, ruts, soft sandy spots, and lots and lots and lots of immediate hairpin turns. I got smacked in the head by one branch and my body took a pounding as my knees and hips absorbed the jolts, and it started wearing me out. I did really well until about 2/3 down the trail, and then I started tiring. I had problems keeping my bike on the trail, which caused me to slow down, and two people passed me. I then came to a small, but pretty steep ravine, with a drop-off on one side, and I decided not to chance it. I was there to have fun, not to get hurt, so I got off my bike, let everyone pass me, and walked it. Total time 1:02:51, for an average speed of 11.5 mph, which I think is pretty good, all things considered. I made it back to the transition area OK and off and running. My second transition was 1:30, which I’m pretty happy with. I had to move someone’s gear out of the way to rack my bike, but that didn’t add more than a few seconds, and I took a few seconds to hydrate with some PowerAde. I started out running great. The first mile was great. I’d been doing bricks a lot and really working on my running, and it was paying off. I ran a pretty good pace most of the first mile, and nobody passed me. But then I just fizzled out. I reached the half way point, and couldn’t run anymore. A couple people passed me, and I knew at that point I was in last place. I couldn’t even walk fast. My hips hurt from the pounding I took on the mountain bike, as well as the pounding from running on the paved path, and my poor Alaskan body was baking in the hot desert sun. I walked most of the rest of the way and managed to summon up enough energy to start jogging once I entered the park again and across the finish line. Total run time: 56:44, which is pretty bad. I’d hoped to run it in 40 minutes. So, I did finish DFL. But even though I was DFL, I did finish, and there were a handful of people who didn't. And, I am very, very happy with my final time: 2:16:43. Since it was an off-road race, I’d hoped I would finish in under 2 1/2 hours, but feared it would be closer to 3, which is what it felt like! I’d like to compete in this race again next year, and I know what I can do differently to improve my time. First, I think strength training over the winter will help me control my bike better when the terrain wants to send me one way, and I want to go another. Second, I need a LOT more off-road practice so my body can get used to the pounding and jarring. And I need to incorporate bricks into this. Third, I found out after the event that the race organizers had practice swims and bike rides the month leading up to the event. Even though it’s a long drive, I think it would be worth it to attend at least one of these practice sessions next year. I bet somebody would even be willing to let me couch surf so I don’t have to make the 500-mile round trip the same day. I might even be able to find someone to couch surf with so I don't have to stay so far away the night before the race next year, too. (I don't like hotels!) And fourth, I need to be more aware during my transitions so I can figure out where I can cut time. I have no clue what I could have done differently, except run faster. It was a good race. I learned a lot and had fun, and I’m very happy with my results! Woohoo! On to the Race the River in Coeur d’Alene in three weeks!

Congrats on finishing your race.  It sounds like it was a tough one!  I have never done an off-road race but can only imagine how difficult the mountain biking must be.  Great job on hanging tough and finishing it out despite being pretty beat up. 

As far as your T1 time, was the timing mat maybe down near the water's edge, or a long run up to the transition area itself?  All transitions are not created equal and it is possible that the T1 time included much of getting from the water to the transition area.  Makes for a more accurate swim time but a slower T1 time usually. 

You also mentioned strength training.  I am a huge proponent of strength training for triathlon. This sport is so demanding in many ways, a strong body/core is essential to success.

Great job and great report.  Looking forward to your next one!

Edited by Dominion 2014-07-07 7:27 AM

2014-07-07 7:35 AM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Bike looks great! Congrats.

Your upcoming race looks tough.  20 deep in the age group is solid for a local race.

If you have the opportunity you should try to qualify for those series points.  I love the fact that I have the opportunity to race a series here as well.  It just pulls the season together and gives me a larger goal than just individual races.  My series needs 4 races to qualify.  I just moved up from 20th to 7th after my last race.  I have 2 more late September that I am hoping to get up into the top 3.

2014-07-07 1:07 PM

User image

burner- great race report. sound like a solid performance and a lot learned. Off road bike portion is quite different. was drafting allowed ? (JK) I cant imagine doing 19mph on a mountain bike!

npr - nice new bike. not much to report. getting some good workouts in and getting really close to my A race (7/20). I saw a deal in email for a $15 OLY about 1.5-2 hrs away end of Aug. Id love to do it, but know I cant fit it in. After A race, going back to running training to finish this year. Goal for speed is a 21:00 5K on 8/17. Then Sub 4:20 FM 10/13. I had been doing great this winter on FM training and put too hard a goal down. PR was 4:40, and I was shooting for sub 4. The 5/2014 course was hilly and I got de-motivated. This fall, its first running of a flat Full. After FM, plan is to focus on Swim and Bike over the winter (need to add in strength too).

Im finally getting these uploads down. I bought a foot pod which helps because I dont have to enter many data fields. Some day I'll get a tri watch. (I keep saying that I will) .

Commute home this morning 14 miles at 17.4 avg mph. This was downhill, but I did push the whole way. Previous best ride was 15.6 mph. Good to see the improvement.
2014-07-07 1:18 PM

User image

Subject: New Gears?
Hi - Quick question. I averaged 17.4 mph on the ride downhill this morning. I did a pretty solid effort in my opinion. I was pumping every time I felt any resistance in the wheel. If I was going too fast to feel resistance, I tried to tuck down (still had big backpack on).

So- I know I have a ton of training to get better at the bike, but wondering if maybe I need a bigger pedal gear? I wont invest until next season, but wondering if this is something I should consider.

ok- just thought of another way to improve. There were about 4 uphill sections. I need to get stronger there.

Edited by BF JEFF 2014-07-07 1:19 PM
2014-07-07 9:11 PM
in reply to: BF JEFF

User image

Subject: RE: New Gears?
Originally posted by BF JEFF

Hi - Quick question. I averaged 17.4 mph on the ride downhill this morning. I did a pretty solid effort in my opinion. I was pumping every time I felt any resistance in the wheel. If I was going too fast to feel resistance, I tried to tuck down (still had big backpack on).

So- I know I have a ton of training to get better at the bike, but wondering if maybe I need a bigger pedal gear? I wont invest until next season, but wondering if this is something I should consider.

ok- just thought of another way to improve. There were about 4 uphill sections. I need to get stronger there.

I recently started playing around with what gear I use based on the terrain. I had been staying on the largest setting on the big sprocket and just switching between gears based on whether I was going uphill, flat, or downhill. But I went out for a practice run and tried some different settings to see how fast I could ride based on the different hills. I actually found that I was better off going down a setting on the big gear when I was going uphill. I didn't think that would be the case because I thought I'd have to pedal twice as fast to keep the same speed. Not true (at least for me). I was able to gain at least 1 mph on the uphill sections by switching to that middle setting on the big gear.

I don't know how it is for other people, but that's what worked for me. So maybe the moral of the story is that you need to just go out and start trying some different things and see what works best for you. Not that I didn't already know it, but I'm constantly reminded during my training that I know so very little about biking and swimming because I have never before tried to be competitive in these sports. For me, there's a lot of trial and error to figure out what works and what doesn't.
2014-07-08 5:13 PM

Twentynine Palms, California
I signed up for my first race. It will be the HITS Sprint at Lake Havasu on 9 Nov. I also found a triathlon team out here in the middle of the desert, today was my first work out with the team. The coach really helped me out with my swimming, I think over the next few months all apprehension about open water swims will be done with. I thought I could swim before today, but I now know I was doing it wrong in a lot of areas. I am putting in some good work out here in the desert.

Sunny-D

2014-07-08 5:44 PM
in reply to: #4996689

I was wondering about getting a new cassette too - I find myself often trying to keep shifting into higher gears on downhills, but I've run out. I reserved a intro to cycling book from the library. Hoping it will provide more insight when it comes in.

In other news, I got invited to Age Group Nationals because I won that super sprint in June. I looked at the times from last year. I think I'd be MOP at least in the sprint, but might be DFL in Olympic. I'm leaning no, but my brother lives in Milwaukee and it's only a 5 hour drive...
2014-07-08 7:45 PM
in reply to: MMW37

User image

29 - good idea on the cycling book. I'll have to read. Probably reading about swimming would be good too. Ive just been watching videos and reading a couple magazine articles.

MMW - congrats on the invite. Id probably go just so that I could say that "I competed at nationals" -

Stomach feeling off today. I'll still get on the TM for a couple easy miles tonight. SPRINT tomorrow!

QUESTION: SPRINT is on 7/9. OLY is on 7/20. What should I be doing? 10 days of rest / recovery / taper? My normal weeks are 30-35 miles run, 4 hrs bike, 1 swim.
2014-07-08 8:06 PM
in reply to: #5023226

Ordered my first road bike and it should be coming in tomorrow. As somebody who has never ridden a road bike before does anybody have any tips on riding and posture? Used to medium sized MTB's that keep me riding pretty upright.

Also, my swimming has seemed a little lousy recently. Don't know if it's because I haven't been swimming enough, if my form is wrong, if I'm not pacing myself properly but it seems I have to come up for a second or two nearly every 50... Any tips from strong swimmers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!
2014-07-08 9:20 PM
in reply to: #5023256

Jake - I'm a pretty novice biker, but swam competitively growing up. It's probably a combination of all of those things. Have you always had to stop every 50 or is this new? What kind of sets are you doing? It's really easy to lose your form when you concentrate only on speed, and you lose a lot of efficiency and tire more quickly when that happens. Swimming is much more technique-oriented than the other two disciplines. There are tons of drills you can find online to work on technique, and/or video your stroke if possible and have someone take a look. Enjoy the new bike!

Jeff, I just got the invite today. I might see if my brother is in town that weekend, because It would be kind of cool to say I went! I think the sprint is open to anyone though, not invite only, and I haven't been training for Olympic distances - was planning to save that for season 2. I think my bike skills are crappy enough that the 10K would be MISERABLE! If I can qualify again next year that might be more appropriate, lol
2014-07-09 7:07 AM
in reply to: Sunny-D

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by Sunny-D I signed up for my first race. It will be the HITS Sprint at Lake Havasu on 9 Nov. I also found a triathlon team out here in the middle of the desert, today was my first work out with the team. The coach really helped me out with my swimming, I think over the next few months all apprehension about open water swims will be done with. I thought I could swim before today, but I now know I was doing it wrong in a lot of areas. I am putting in some good work out here in the desert. Sunny-D

Sunny-D / Ben, 

congrats on getting registered for that first race.  Having something on the calendar is a great way to get and stay motivated.  I've heard great things about HITS races and I think starting at the sprint distance is a good decision.  It's great that you found a group to train with.  Keep us posted on how things are going.  

2014-07-09 7:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by BF JEFF Hi - Quick question. I averaged 17.4 mph on the ride downhill this morning. I did a pretty solid effort in my opinion. I was pumping every time I felt any resistance in the wheel. If I was going too fast to feel resistance, I tried to tuck down (still had big backpack on). So- I know I have a ton of training to get better at the bike, but wondering if maybe I need a bigger pedal gear? I wont invest until next season, but wondering if this is something I should consider. ok- just thought of another way to improve. There were about 4 uphill sections. I need to get stronger there.

You say you averaged 17.4 for the ride, but what kind of speeds were you hitting on these downhills where you were feeling little or no resistance in the pedals?  What kind of gearing do you have now? (How many cogs on your rear cassette?)  For comparison, my road bike is only an 8 speed rear cassette  and on downhills I can hit 27-30 mph and still feel adequate resistance in the pedals.  Now if it is a steep downhill, there may be short steep stretches where you are coasting.  I would talk to a LBS and let them take a look and make a recommendation.  If it is something for next year, then you have plenty of time to do some research and make a decision.

2014-07-09 7:28 AM
in reply to: MMW37

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by MMW37 I was wondering about getting a new cassette too - I find myself often trying to keep shifting into higher gears on downhills, but I've run out. I reserved a intro to cycling book from the library. Hoping it will provide more insight when it comes in. In other news, I got invited to Age Group Nationals because I won that super sprint in June. I looked at the times from last year. I think I'd be MOP at least in the sprint, but might be DFL in Olympic. I'm leaning no, but my brother lives in Milwaukee and it's only a 5 hour drive...

Congrats.  If you have family you can stay with in Milwaukee, then it is a no brainer!

My brother and I will be there and it is a 16 hour drive for us!  I hoping for MOP Olympic.  Competition will be great up there!

2014-07-09 7:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by BF JEFF 29 - good idea on the cycling book. I'll have to read. Probably reading about swimming would be good too. Ive just been watching videos and reading a couple magazine articles. MMW - congrats on the invite. Id probably go just so that I could say that "I competed at nationals" - Stomach feeling off today. I'll still get on the TM for a couple easy miles tonight. SPRINT tomorrow! QUESTION: SPRINT is on 7/9. OLY is on 7/20. What should I be doing? 10 days of rest / recovery / taper? My normal weeks are 30-35 miles run, 4 hrs bike, 1 swim.

My normal taper for a sprint or Olympic is 5 or 6 days.  Keep doing what you are doing, just drop the intensity and volume.  Still get in a swim or two, run easy and a bike or two during those 6 days.  Usually a full rest day two days before the race, and only an easy swim or bike the day before the race.  I would cut the running down to no more than 15 miles that last week.  You won't lose fitness and your legs will be fresh and rested on race day.

2014-07-09 11:06 AM

User image

You say you averaged 17.4 for the ride, but what kind of speeds were you hitting on these downhills where you were feeling little or no resistance in the pedals?  What kind of gearing do you have now? (How many cogs on your rear cassette?)  For comparison, my road bike is only an 8 speed rear cassette  and on downhills I can hit 27-30 mph and still feel adequate resistance in the pedals.  Now if it is a steep downhill, there may be short steep stretches where you are coasting.  I would talk to a LBS and let them take a look and make a recommendation.  If it is something for next year, then you have plenty of time to do some research and make a decision.

Last 2 miles were uphill. Most of downhill was a steady grade - wasnt using brakes much (most lights were green). I think my bike has maxed out about 35mph and that was a really big downhill.

1 18.3
2 14.8
3 21.6
4 21.1
5 25.3
6 24.2
7 21.7
8 10.6
9 20.0
10 16.3
11 16.2
12 21.3
13 12.4
14 9.3

Edited by BF JEFF 2014-07-09 11:07 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint/Oly Focus Group - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 24

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum--OPEN! Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40

Started by lutzman
Views: 43240 Posts: 980

2015-01-10 7:42 PM mtsnorider

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 50551 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19474 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 23, 2010
comments : 0
I want to follow the Winter Maintenance-Run Focus program (8 weeks), but don't know when to start. I also want to do the Intermediate Sprint-12 week program before my first race.

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : July 17, 2005
author : chrisandniki
comments : 0
A Navy Seals program modified specifically for triathletes. Heavy on the running, swimming, push/pull-ups and sit-ups, will you find yourself man (or woman) enough to finish?