BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint/Oly Focus Group - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2014-07-28 9:54 AM
in reply to: burner2

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: Dominion's Sprint/Oly Focus Group - OPEN

Good report. Cassandra.  Looks like a swim and bike to be proud of.  Good for you for getting in there and mixing it up at the swim start!  

I know how frustrating the run situation can be.  Even though we are at different levels, I still feel a lot of what you are describing in my own running.  I feel I should be better by now, but improvement is coming much slower and at a much higher price than the swim or the bike.  

In an effort to try to help, let me ask you, what is it that you feel is the biggest limiter in your running speed?  What is it that is holding you back do you think?  Do your legs just get tired? (a muscular issue)  or is it heart rate or breathing issues?  Something else? (Flexibility perhaps, or an inability to open up your stride length) or a combination of things? Try to take some time and figure out exactly what is happening.  

In the meantime here is a suggestion that may help improve your times for competition.  It may be a little bit unorthodox and I know you stated that you didn't want to be walking, but at 18 min/mile you really should be able to walk that fast or faster.  Walking changes the muscle set used and allows for Heart Rate Recovery and breathing recovery vs. running, even if it is a fast walk at or near that 18 min pace.  So you may consider a run/walk combination.  Run hard for several minutes, then walk a minute or two for recovery and still be moving at your normal 18 min run pace.  You can run harder/faster than usual because you know you will have a break coming up, but still shouldn't lose any/much time when you go to the recovery walk.  Just keep it at a brisk walk with forward momentum and you will get that muscular and heart rate recovery  vs. continual running.  Practice it and see if your times are any faster using this approach. Also play around with what run/walk combination works best for you.  It may be 2 minutes running hard followed by 1 minute walk, or 3 min /1 min. or a 4 min/ 2 min. etc.  I think these types of intervals will also begin to teach your body how to run faster and in time the run portions should get longer and the walk portions shorter.  

2014-07-28 10:13 AM
in reply to: Dajcentex

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by Dajcentex Would like to join your group. I am 47 years old and have been running for about 4 years now. I have done well In a spartan sprint and spartan super. I have also just completed my first duathlon in March. Looking to get into the tris and will really need help learning swimming technique and will need to Improve my biking.

Hi, 

Are you doing any swim training so far?  If you are brand new to swimming, the best advice to get started is just to find a pool and get some laps in, Get yourself comfortable in the water and work on breathing and form..  Maybe join a Masters program to get a little more structured training.  Swimming is usually very tough at the beginning for those with no background in the sport, but improvement usually comes pretty quick if you stick with it.  

Use the training logs here on BT to log your workouts and that way I can take a look at what your training looks like and offer suggestions.   Post up a little bio or more info about yourself when you get the chance.  This group is helpful and we have some very knowledgeable swimmers on here too.  

Welcome and good luck!

2014-07-28 11:20 AM
in reply to: Dominion

User image

Pacific Northwest, Washington
Originally posted by Dominion

what is it that you feel is the biggest limiter in your running speed?  What is it that is holding you back do you think?  Do your legs just get tired? (a muscular issue)  or is it heart rate or breathing issues?  Something else? (Flexibility perhaps, or an inability to open up your stride length) or a combination of things? Try to take some time and figure out exactly what is happening.  

My legs don’t really get tired, but my hips get sore from the pounding, and that's why I slow down and walk for part of each mile. I’m not a heal strider; I land mid foot, so I think my running style is OK. And I think my breathing and heart rate are OK. I know my flexibility is not very good, and that may be a big issue, so maybe I need to take up yoga this fall. I also know I have a lot lower cadence than most people, but I haven’t been successful in speeding that up. When people pass me, I try to match my cadence to theirs, and they just move too fast for me to keep up. I’ve thought about finding a running buddy, but all they want to do is socialize, not train. I’m thinking of volunteering to help out the high school track coach this next school year if he’ll help me with my running. I don’t know how much help I could be, but it would be worth giving it a try. I might even be able to find a high school kid who might want to run with me once a week for a couple bucks.

I’ve been practicing primarily using three different routines: first is a 3-mile run along the road. I try to mostly run (75% run/25% walk). I use my iPod to track my time for each mile and try not to look at it during my run and just keep trying to go as fast as I can. When I get back, invariably, I find my first mile is about 16 minutes, my second mile is about 20 minutes, and my third mile is about 18 minutes. I think the second mile is actually just a bit longer (1.05 miles), which may account for it being slower, but it still averages out to about 18 minutes a mile.

My second routine is (usually) brick sessions off my bike at a local (1/6 mile) track. I try to vary between running as fast as I can for one or two laps, and then taking it easy for a lap (maybe even walking), and then speeding up again. So far, my fastest lap has been about 2:12, but that was only once. Usually it varies between 2:30 and 3:00. Yes, that’s running! I think I'm going fast until I hit that lap button on my iPod and I see how slowly I ran. And add in the lap or two that I walk (about 3:15 per lap), and it averages about 18 minutes per mile.

My third routine is a 2 1/4 mile, hilly, gravel running path through the local golf course. I try to run this once a week. There are no regular distance markers, so I just go full speed. I’ve tried the path both ways, and it still seems to take me about 38 minutes. I’m always surprised at the end to find out how long it’s taken me. To me, I’m running fast, and I think my time is good. Until I check it at the end and feel like screaming.

I will try your suggestion for this next race. I think I will buy a watch and use that to pace myself since I can race with one as, unfortunately, iPods are not allowed. It certainly won’t make me any slower than I’ve been already!
2014-07-28 11:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Ok, so it looks like you already doing the run/walk combo thing.   As far as hip pain when running, that falls more on the medical side of things, and I am in no way qualified to address that.  If you are feeling pain that is completely different from being tired or out of breath from fatigue.  You may want to try to tweak your stride or posture?  Maybe look into a different shoe; more cushioning?  I don't know, just throwing some ideas out there that you may or may not have thought of.  

Curious as to whether you notice any difference in the hip pain depending on the surface you are running on.  You mentioned road, track, and a gravel path, any differences there?

2014-07-28 3:36 PM
in reply to: rjchilds8

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: Compression sleeves during the swim

Originally posted by rjchilds8 Has anyone ever worn calf compression sleeves during the swim portion of an event? I have started wearing them when I run and thought I'd wear them during the swim to save the time and trouble of putting them on in transition. I did check with the race director and he said that they were acceptable for this event. I wasn't sure if there would be an effect on drag because of the sleeves. Just wondering if anyone else has any experience or an opinion. Thanks!

I don't have any personal experience to share in this area.  I've never worn any of the compression stuff.  Is it even designed to be worn in the water?

2014-07-28 5:29 PM

User image

North Grafton, Massachusetts

Originally posted by rjchilds8 Has anyone ever worn calf compression sleeves during the swim portion of an event? I have started wearing them when I run and thought I'd wear them during the swim to save the time and trouble of putting them on in transition. I did check with the race director and he said that they were acceptable for this event. I wasn't sure if there would be an effect on drag because of the sleeves. Just wondering if anyone else has any experience or an opinion. Thanks!

I don't have any personal experience to share in this area.  I've never worn any of the compression stuff.  Is it even designed to be worn in the water?

I don't know that it was specifically designed to go in the water, but I figured one dousing in the lake couldn't be any worse than being soaked in sweat. I was just wondered if the drag would be any worse (or better) than bare legs.

2014-07-28 9:56 PM
in reply to: #4996689

I found a couple of old threads on compression gear. People do wear under their wetsuits, but not all races allow it. If you don't wear a wetsuit, they shouldn't increase drag as long as they're appropriately tight - think of the bodysuit-style swimsuits many Olympians wear these days.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1...

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/mobile/ForumThread.html?forumId=1...
2014-07-29 12:41 AM

User image

As far as hip pain when running, that falls more on the medical side of things... You may want to try to tweak your stride or posture?  Maybe look into a different shoe; more cushioning? Curious as to whether you notice any difference in the hip pain depending on the surface you are running on.  You mentioned road, track, and a gravel path, any differences there?

I'm pretty sure I have bursitis in my hips, but I've never bothered to get an official diagnosis because I didn't see any point. It's something I've been dealing with for a decade or two, and there's not much that can be done about it. I used to take Ibuprofen pretty regularly and that helped, but then I read a couple of articles that said it can interfere with muscle recovery and development, so I stopped taking it after training sessions. I'm thinking though that maybe I should take it the morning of my next race to reduce any pain during the race. I can still avoid it during training, but it might help my performance on race day.

I wear Hoka One One shoes, which are "maximalist" shoes with lots of cushioning and arch support. I'm pretty happy with them.

I haven't been able to determine if there's a difference in hip pain depending on the running surface as I run differently and different distances on each. I ran a couple of laps at the track tonight and was able to improve my time by a few seconds by concentrating on my cadence every other lap, and walking alternating laps. Maybe if I keep doing this for the next three weeks, I can see a bit of improvement. My goal is just to cut a few minutes off my run time from May. I know I can cut a few minutes off the swim, bike, and transitions, and if I can cut a few minutes off the run, too, I'll be a happy camper.

Well, and if I can keep the 80-year-olds from passing me!
2014-07-29 9:08 AM
in reply to: MMW37

User image

Originally posted by MMW37

I found a couple of old threads on compression gear. People do wear under their wetsuits, but not all races allow it. If you don't wear a wetsuit, they shouldn't increase drag as long as they're appropriately tight - think of the bodysuit-style swimsuits many Olympians wear these days.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1...

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/mobile/ForumThread.html?forumId=1...

I think they fit well, if anything they might be slightly on the tight side but I haven't had any cramping issues or anything like that. I have checked with the race director and he said there were no problems with me wearing them during the swim. The race is wet suit legal (although I won't be wearing one), so I didn't think it would be an issue. I guess I'll have to just try them out in the pool and see if I feel like there are any problems. Hey, it may save me from having to shave my legs! LOL

Thanks Chris and MMW37!
2014-07-29 11:23 AM

User image

Originally posted by rjchilds8

I don't know that it was specifically designed to go in the water, but I figured one dousing in the lake couldn't be any worse than being soaked in sweat. I was just wondered if the drag would be any worse (or better) than bare legs.

I purchases some due to some foot numbness I get when I run to see if it would help. It didn't. Never tried swimming in them. I did feel like they helped with recovery when I put them on after a long run or bike, or wore them while I slept.

Nate
2014-07-29 7:29 PM

User image

Good Race, Jeff!

Looks like you had quite a few obstacles to overcome, but you made it though and accomplished your goals.  You kind of skipped over the part about getting out of your wetsuit, any issues there?  And , I have the same question as Nate, what do you mean they milled it?

http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y452/dilljeff/Asphalt_Milling_z...
(milled asphalt)

The wetsuit seemed really easy to get out of. I used TRI GLIDE on the calves before getting on, and a little between my legs. I did notice after the suit dried that the magic marker of my race number from my calf had bled into my wetsuit. But it seemed pretty easy to get off. I got the one without arms, so that helps.

2014-07-30 9:05 PM

User image

Originally posted by rjchilds8

Has anyone ever worn calf compression sleeves during the swim portion of an event? I have started wearing them when I run and thought I'd wear them during the swim to save the time and trouble of putting them on in transition. I did check with the race director and he said that they were acceptable for this event. I wasn't sure if there would be an effect on drag because of the sleeves. Just wondering if anyone else has any experience or an opinion. Thanks!

Just a follow up report on this topic. I wore my compression sleeves in the pool tonight. I didn't really notice that I had them on when it came to my swimming, so that was good. Actually, if it hadn't been for some foot cramping I probably would have set a PR for the 550 meters I need for my race. I don't think it had anything to do with the compression sleeves, but at least I know they probably aren't going to have a negative effect on my swim. And having them on for the swim means I won't waste precious time trying to put them on in the transition area.
2014-07-31 10:17 AM
in reply to: #5031779

Cool, glad they didn't slow you down! I'm just here to whine because I'm sick with a nasty cold. Went to the gym yesterday but woke up much worse today. I've been having a lot of fatigue the last few days - now I think I know why. I think I need a couple of days off from training, I feel like crap!
2014-07-31 12:55 PM

User image

Originally posted by MMW37

Cool, glad they didn't slow you down! I'm just here to whine because I'm sick with a nasty cold. Went to the gym yesterday but woke up much worse today. I've been having a lot of fatigue the last few days - now I think I know why. I think I need a couple of days off from training, I feel like crap!

I was lucky to survive my most recent cold with only minor symptoms. My 2 year old son got a cold and the whole house got it from him. I mostly only had a sore throat and just a small amount of congestion. Luckily, I was able to train through it and not have it impact my training all that much. I was so pissed because it happened only about 2 or 2 1/2 weeks before my event! Hope you're feeling better soon!
2014-07-31 1:42 PM
in reply to: #5033194

I'm blaming my 2 year old as well. He doesn't stop running when he's sick (or ever), but I'm all achy today. And tomorrow was a planned off day because I'm on call. Hopefully by Saturday I'm back to normal-ish, it's 2 weeks until my next race!
2014-07-31 8:57 PM

User image

Subject: Monthly Totals
This months numbers

Swim - 12,840y - 4h22m32sec
Bike - 141.5m + 120m spinning - 9h39m12s
Run - 64.54m - 9h19m37s

Swim, bike and run volumes all up from last month. Put some time in spin class after a few local bikers got hit.

Nate

2014-07-31 9:06 PM

User image

Originally posted by burner2

As far as hip pain when running, that falls more on the medical side of things... You may want to try to tweak your stride or posture?  Maybe look into a different shoe; more cushioning? Curious as to whether you notice any difference in the hip pain depending on the surface you are running on.  You mentioned road, track, and a gravel path, any differences there?

I'm pretty sure I have bursitis in my hips, but I've never bothered to get an official diagnosis because I didn't see any point. It's something I've been dealing with for a decade or two, and there's not much that can be done about it. I used to take Ibuprofen pretty regularly and that helped, but then I read a couple of articles that said it can interfere with muscle recovery and development, so I stopped taking it after training sessions. I'm thinking though that maybe I should take it the morning of my next race to reduce any pain during the race. I can still avoid it during training, but it might help my performance on race day.

I wear Hoka One One shoes, which are "maximalist" shoes with lots of cushioning and arch support. I'm pretty happy with them.

I haven't been able to determine if there's a difference in hip pain depending on the running surface as I run differently and different distances on each. I ran a couple of laps at the track tonight and was able to improve my time by a few seconds by concentrating on my cadence every other lap, and walking alternating laps. Maybe if I keep doing this for the next three weeks, I can see a bit of improvement. My goal is just to cut a few minutes off my run time from May. I know I can cut a few minutes off the swim, bike, and transitions, and if I can cut a few minutes off the run, too, I'll be a happy camper.

Well, and if I can keep the 80-year-olds from passing me!

I would recommend seeing someone if this problem persist. A lot of running problems stem from the feet. If you are a heal striker a lot of that force is transmitted up the leg to the hips. Something as simple as orthotics could be a game changer. Anti-inflammatories and rest would be the mainstay for inflammatory processes like bursitis. If you take lots of ibuprofen take it with food.

Good luck!
2014-07-31 10:38 PM

User image

S: 10,010 yards, all open water (estimate; actual distance could be closer to 15,000 yards)
B: 125.78 miles
R: 30.59 miles
Walking: 30.25 hours

My bike total is a little low this month because of my vacation, some rest days before two triathlons, and off-road riding a couple of times. I ended up bailing on the first of the two festivals I was scheduled to attend this month, and I’m glad I did because I needed some down time at home after so many weekends on the road. I did not run as much as I had planned during the festival I attended, and that worked out for the best because I ended up pulling longer shifts, including one 18-hour shift on Friday that was pretty much spent entirely on my feet. And, I ended up losing my travel trailer in a fire on the way home, which, had it happened earlier in my vacation driving between the two festivals, would have been pretty sad. Truck saved, contents saved, but trailer a total loss despite some kind strangers forming a bucket brigade and putting the fire out before the fire trucks got there.

Being able to swim in my friend’s lake has been a real blessing. I don’t think I would have done nearly so well in the swim section of my last triathlon if it hadn’t been for being able to swim in her lake a couple times a week. I felt so comfortable this last time that I had no issues at all swimming and was able to start with everyone else and finish solidly in the middle of the pack—even chicking a couple of Clydesdales!—rather than starting and finishing at the back of the pack, as my two previous events. This has really given me a lot of confidence, and I know I will do well in my next triathlon in two weeks. This next time, I will start in front. I highly recommend getting as much open water practice as possible, even if you have to drive a couple of hours to a lake or something on the weekend. I plan to practice in Medical Lake on Saturday, where my next triathlon will be held. There was a triathlon scheduled there this weekend, so I thought I would go and do a late entry since I was going to practice the entire route anyway, but unfortunately, it was canceled yesterday because of lack of interest. Sadly, it’s the second triathlon Medical Lake has canceled this summer. So, I’ll just go do the route alone. I’m thinking of adding some Nine Inch Nails to my run to see if that improves my cadence and time.
2014-08-01 6:44 AM

User image

Americus, Georgia
July Totals:

Swim: 2h 35m - 5450 Yd

Bike: 3h 32m 37s - 50.97 Mi

Run: 5h 39m 60s - 30.47 Mi

Not bad considering I was out of commission for two weeks with pneumonia. Second tri is coming up next weekend (August 9). I am not expecting to have a tremendous performance, but I needed a goal to get me moving after the pnuemonia, so we'll see what happens. Ugh.
2014-08-01 8:09 AM
in reply to: marriedthepoolguy

User image

Subject: Monthly totals
Swim: 5h 25m - 12412.51 Yd
Bike: 6h 21m 18s - 89.24 Mi
Run: 2h 06m 02s - 13.46 Mi

Looks like I'm not the only one with excuses for lower training totals. For me, it was mostly the amount of time/effort put into getting our house ready to go on the market and prepared for our open house. Not to mention all of the houses we've gone to in order to find something to buy. I lost a few days of training due to a ridiculous workload for my job that literally had me burning the midnight oil several nights in a row. I did catch a cold from my son, but fortunately it didn't seem to hinder my training very much.

Started going back to 2x a week at the pool, so my swim total is up more than 3x what it was last month. For a first timer that is self taught and has never had any lessons, I feel primed for a pretty good swim time. It may actually end up being my best sport of the 3.

I also started mixing in some hill work to my bike rides. That will pay dividends on race day and even with the hill work it looks like my bike total more than doubled from last month. However, that was at the expense of my running. My running was down about 50%. I think I can still manage a sub-30 minute run off the bike, but I wish I had been able to do more running this month.

Counting down the days to my first tri! Only 9 days left. I'm not sure if I'm excited or nervous! LOL Probably some of each.
2014-08-01 2:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: Monthly totals

July Totals:

S: 14,437 yds

B: 252 miles

R: 76 miles

My run volume was up for July with bike and swim about average.  I would have had a few more miles on the bike but had a terrible Thursday to close out the month getting 2 flat tires on my ride.  Ended up with only 18 miles o the bike yesterday due to the flats.  I had changed rear wheels due to a spoke problem.  I'll be changing back.

2014-08-01 2:40 PM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: Monthly Totals

Everyone's totals look pretty good for July.  Keep it up.

Sorry to hear about your travel trailer Cassandra.  How 'd it start? 

Lots of summer colds going around too it seems.  Hope everyone is back to feeling better and ready to push through to the end of the season.

Randy, Good luck in your upcoming race! I know you have been waiting for it and looking forward to be able to post our own race report.  I'm sure you will do fine. You have been training hard and seem ready to go!

2014-08-01 3:18 PM

User image

Subject: RE: Monthly Totals

Everyone's totals look pretty good for July.  Keep it up.

Sorry to hear about your travel trailer Cassandra.  How 'd it start? 

Lots of summer colds going around too it seems.  Hope everyone is back to feeling better and ready to push through to the end of the season.

Randy, Good luck in your upcoming race! I know you have been waiting for it and looking forward to be able to post our own race report.  I'm sure you will do fine. You have been training hard and seem ready to go!

Thanks, Chris! Super excited for my first ever triathlon! I almost feel like I need to sign up for a second one maybe in September just to make all of the training worthwhile! LOL I feel an internet search coming on.
2014-08-01 9:02 PM
in reply to: #5033363

July totals:
S: 14997 yd 6:12:58
B: 169.88m 10:32:27
R: 65.17m 11:13:04

I'm pretty happy with that. I've been training 5-6 days a week and getting pretty good work in. Some of my biking is actually spinning too - I just guess at mileage based on my time on the bike.

August is going to be hard - we're spending next weekend in Chicago, then I have another sprint 8/17, and then we leave immediately for a week at my parents'. I think I'm just going to write that week off now - I might take a couple of runs, but I'm going to be crazy busy.

Good job everyone!
2014-08-02 7:50 AM

User image

Subject: Cycling approach to hills
I have read several articles that say the best approach to running up hills is to maintain an effort level that is consistent with your effort when running on flat ground. The idea is that you won't wear yourself out or expend too much energy going up and you will recover faster and have more energy to take advantage of the downhill slope. I was wondering if people also used this approach to their cycling. Specifically, I'm talking about relatively short hills, maybe a tenth or two tenths of a mile long, and not a sustained uphill (although I'd be interested to hear your approach to a sustained hill if it is any different).

I find when I'm training that I tend to speed up a little for the short uphill and then ease into the upward slope, but try to maintain a roughly equivalent effort level once my speed has returned to my typical pace. This is especially true when I'm on a downward slope coming to the hill. I try to take advantage of the easier downhill slope to speed into the hill. I feel like expending a little extra energy on a flat or downhill section allows me to make the hill a little easier to manage. What do you think of that approach? Or am I just overthinking it and I should just stay steady the whole time?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint/Oly Focus Group - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 24

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum--OPEN! Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40

Started by lutzman
Views: 43036 Posts: 980

2015-01-10 7:42 PM mtsnorider

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 50216 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19332 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 23, 2010
comments : 0
I want to follow the Winter Maintenance-Run Focus program (8 weeks), but don't know when to start. I also want to do the Intermediate Sprint-12 week program before my first race.

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : July 17, 2005
author : chrisandniki
comments : 0
A Navy Seals program modified specifically for triathletes. Heavy on the running, swimming, push/pull-ups and sit-ups, will you find yourself man (or woman) enough to finish?