BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint/Oly Focus Group - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2014-09-14 1:31 PM
in reply to: Dominion

User image

Subject: RE: Dominion's Sprint/Oly Focus Group - OPEN
impressive! Wonder if my next race will bring me up or down... I am 62 for my age group in NC.

Nate

2014-09-14 6:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

It seems like the thread has been winding down lately as I know for many your season is already over. Some still have a race or two to go before we head into the winter and the off-season.  I know at some point these mentor groups will most likely be reset for the winter term.  So before that happens or before everyone drifts away for good, I wanted to thank each of you for your participation and contributions to the group, particularly to those of you who have been consistent and active members throughout, Nate, Jenn, Cassandra, Scott, Randy, and Maura.  

This was my first mentor group and I hope I have been able to answer your questions as well as offer guidance and motivation.  With that in mind, I do plan to mentor again in the next session.  Feel free to PM me with any feedback you may have to make the group better or to help me be more effective as a mentor. Anything you liked, didn't like, or want to see done differently, etc.  Speak freely, constructive criticism is welcome!  

Let me say that this thread is not closing.  I will still be here and please continue to ask questions, or share experiences, race reports etc. for as long as Ron leaves the threads open. 

Thanks everyone!

2014-09-15 8:18 AM

User image

New user
Thanks for being a Mentor Chris! Your advice has been very helpful throughout the season!

I finished my second Olympic race yesterday. Race report will hopefully follow later on today or tomorrow. I have one more race scheduled for October 5th. It's a pool swim followed by 20k bike and 5k run outside.

Scott
2014-09-15 9:59 AM
in reply to: scottjjmtri99

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Holly 2014 Fall Triathlon
Holly Fall Recreation Olympic Triathlon 2014

It was a nice cool Michigan “Fall” morning. 46 degrees at 6am. Water temperature a balmy 63 and very calm. I get there and it’s still dark. Knowing I haven’t been swimming I was contemplating dropping down to the sprint. I argued with myself for probably a good 20 minutes before I decided to go get my race number and check-in for the race I originally signed up for with the idea going in, that the swim would be tough but I’ll finish eventually.

Men go first and they count us in. I was the last guy in the water and number 20. Much smaller field than the one June. The race starts and I think I’m doing rather well. Somehow got out in front initially and got a kicked a few times and accidentally returned the favor to someone else. Only to finally sight and see that I’m heading in the wrong direction. I correct my path and do well with it until it’s time to make the first turn. I was thinking it was only a 90 degree turn and was well past the buoy when I hear someone yelling you’re going the wrong way! I stop and look and sure enough, I needed more of a 120 degree turn. Again I correct my path. Long story short, the second loop went better sighting wise. Left calf started cramping towards the very end of the swim, but I finished in 37:57 beating out my only other AG competitor by 3 seconds. He would proceed to beat me out of transition handedly by about 2 minutes. I was rather disoriented getting out of the water and had to sit down to take my wetsuit off. Took my timing chip off to get the suit off and ran out of transition with the bike to realize I forgot it crossing the mat and not hearing a beep. I had to go back and get it. Lost more time with that, but after the swim I knew I was only in it to finish.

It was only my second official time riding my new bike. Things went much better after the swim and T1. Once I finally got out on the bike I clipped in with no issues. I did take it easy for the first bit trying to catch my breath and prepare myself for the upcoming hilly bike course I was about to encounter. Everything went rather well on the bike. Shifting was good and improved my bike time by about 2 minutes compared to June. Was happy with that, but hoping next year to be even better. I have to find a way to simulate hills on the trainer. I have no hills to train on nearby. Thinking, that time in the saddle will help too. T2 goes without incident. I did take a little more time than normal with having to change shoes, but thought 1:06 wasn’t too bad for my first time having to change shoes.

I start the run and my toes are either numb or numb from being cold. First mile they warm up and I clock an 8:05. Cool! Second mile 8:03. Awesome! :D 3rd mile 7:36. Wow, I’m really cruising! 4th mile there was a rather big hill at the turn around that slowed me down some and I was fighting off cramping in both of my thighs and managed 8:10, still not bad! Than the runner in me decided it was time to go and finished mile 5 in 7:37 and 6 in 7:25 for a 10k time of 47:55! Thrilled with my run time! Much closer to where I thing I should be on the run coming from a running background. My finish time was 3:05:16, good for 17th overall (guys and gals) and 2nd in my age group.

All in all I had fun. The swim was more than humbling but I still met my goal going in of being under 40 minutes. The bike had improvement, and was a lot fun. This off season I will be getting more acquainted with it and be truly ready for the hills when it’s time to go back to Holly. The run was and still is my favorite of the three disciplines and I foresee good things coming.

Hope everyone has a great finish to your season!

Scott
2014-09-15 6:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Thanks Scott!  and Great Race!

Very impressive run performance there, the ability to be able to turn it on 4 miles in and negative split with a strong finish like that...very strong. 

Arguing with yourself for 20  minutes over which race to do is pretty funny, but good job of following through with what you said you were going to do.  It worked out well and I bet you are happy you went with it.  Probably would have been disappointed with yourself later if you had talked yourself out of it.

Glad you were able to remember that you didn't have your chip.  That shows a lot of awareness that you didn't hear that beep when you crossed the mat.  I guess I always hear it, just never paid much attention.  Glad the new bike is working out, the more time you spend on it the better you'll be.  Also on the swim and getting off course a couple of times, how long between sights do you normally take?  I usually look up and try to sight around every 6th stroke (of 1 side). 

2014-09-15 8:35 PM

User image

Originally posted by scottjjmtri99

Holly Fall Recreation Olympic Triathlon 2014

It was a nice cool Michigan “Fall” morning. 46 degrees at 6am. Water temperature a balmy 63 and very calm. I get there and it’s still dark. Knowing I haven’t been swimming I was contemplating dropping down to the sprint. I argued with myself for probably a good 20 minutes before I decided to go get my race number and check-in for the race I originally signed up for with the idea going in, that the swim would be tough but I’ll finish eventually.

Men go first and they count us in. I was the last guy in the water and number 20. Much smaller field than the one June. The race starts and I think I’m doing rather well. Somehow got out in front initially and got a kicked a few times and accidentally returned the favor to someone else. Only to finally sight and see that I’m heading in the wrong direction. I correct my path and do well with it until it’s time to make the first turn. I was thinking it was only a 90 degree turn and was well past the buoy when I hear someone yelling you’re going the wrong way! I stop and look and sure enough, I needed more of a 120 degree turn. Again I correct my path. Long story short, the second loop went better sighting wise. Left calf started cramping towards the very end of the swim, but I finished in 37:57 beating out my only other AG competitor by 3 seconds. He would proceed to beat me out of transition handedly by about 2 minutes. I was rather disoriented getting out of the water and had to sit down to take my wetsuit off. Took my timing chip off to get the suit off and ran out of transition with the bike to realize I forgot it crossing the mat and not hearing a beep. I had to go back and get it. Lost more time with that, but after the swim I knew I was only in it to finish.

It was only my second official time riding my new bike. Things went much better after the swim and T1. Once I finally got out on the bike I clipped in with no issues. I did take it easy for the first bit trying to catch my breath and prepare myself for the upcoming hilly bike course I was about to encounter. Everything went rather well on the bike. Shifting was good and improved my bike time by about 2 minutes compared to June. Was happy with that, but hoping next year to be even better. I have to find a way to simulate hills on the trainer. I have no hills to train on nearby. Thinking, that time in the saddle will help too. T2 goes without incident. I did take a little more time than normal with having to change shoes, but thought 1:06 wasn’t too bad for my first time having to change shoes.

I start the run and my toes are either numb or numb from being cold. First mile they warm up and I clock an 8:05. Cool! Second mile 8:03. Awesome! :D 3rd mile 7:36. Wow, I’m really cruising! 4th mile there was a rather big hill at the turn around that slowed me down some and I was fighting off cramping in both of my thighs and managed 8:10, still not bad! Than the runner in me decided it was time to go and finished mile 5 in 7:37 and 6 in 7:25 for a 10k time of 47:55! Thrilled with my run time! Much closer to where I thing I should be on the run coming from a running background. My finish time was 3:05:16, good for 17th overall (guys and gals) and 2nd in my age group.

All in all I had fun. The swim was more than humbling but I still met my goal going in of being under 40 minutes. The bike had improvement, and was a lot fun. This off season I will be getting more acquainted with it and be truly ready for the hills when it’s time to go back to Holly. The run was and still is my favorite of the three disciplines and I foresee good things coming.

Hope everyone has a great finish to your season!

Scott

Nice race! Glad you kept your head in it after a few mishaps early. Sounds like you had a good run. Congrats on placing in your age group.

2014-09-15 9:59 PM

User image

North Grafton, Massachusetts
Originally posted by Dominion

It seems like the thread has been winding down lately as I know for many your season is already over. Some still have a race or two to go before we head into the winter and the off-season.  I know at some point these mentor groups will most likely be reset for the winter term.  So before that happens or before everyone drifts away for good, I wanted to thank each of you for your participation and contributions to the group, particularly to those of you who have been consistent and active members throughout, Nate, Jenn, Cassandra, Scott, Randy, and Maura.  

This was my first mentor group and I hope I have been able to answer your questions as well as offer guidance and motivation.  With that in mind, I do plan to mentor again in the next session.  Feel free to PM me with any feedback you may have to make the group better or to help me be more effective as a mentor. Anything you liked, didn't like, or want to see done differently, etc.  Speak freely, constructive criticism is welcome!  

Let me say that this thread is not closing.  I will still be here and please continue to ask questions, or share experiences, race reports etc. for as long as Ron leaves the threads open. 

Thanks everyone!

I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say "thank you" for all of your time and help. Going into my first triathlon, I know I had so many questions and concerns and so many things on my mind. It was great having a seasoned veteran to be there to answer our questions and provide so many insights that can only come from experience. Like I said, I knew I'd hear your words out on the course and that prediction came true! Thanks so much for all you do for this group!

So will we have to re-register for this group? Or will our "membership" be retained for next year?
2014-09-15 10:07 PM
in reply to: rjchilds8

User image

Subject: Hand numbness
So I've had this issue for almost as long as I have been riding my road bike (which really amounts to one year, LOL). But it seems like every time I ride my bike, my hands get the tingly, numbed feeling. It seems like it starts happening within the first few miles. I have to take my hand off the handlebars an shake it out. Sometimes I'll even sit upright and pedal for a little while in that position, basically doing anything I can to take pressure off my hands to help get the blood flowing. It usually starts in my hands and can sometimes travel part way up my arm.

Is this normal? Will that go away with time? I do wear padded gloves, but the padding is relatively thin. Would it help to get gloves with more padding? Or maybe I have to change my position somehow? I don't know why I have this problem and it makes it tough to stay focused on my riding because I'm spending so much time worrying about what's wrong with my hands and having to make so many changes to my positioning to deal with it and alleviate the symptoms.

Does anyone have any insight or advice?

Thanks,
Randy

2014-09-15 10:20 PM
in reply to: #4996689

User image

New user
I've have dealt with this, it's not normal. Have you tried a wrist brace? From my understanding there are nerves in your wrist that you can pinch and cause numbness. I have been able to somewhat control my issues with changing positions and more recently installing aero bars. I found that to help the most. Also, have you been fitted to your bike? From my research a slight adjustment can make a world of difference. Good luck.

Scott
2014-09-15 11:54 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pacific Northwest, Washington
Now that the triathlon season has finished here in my area, I’ve shifted my focus to 5K runs. Surprisingly, they have them year round! I’ve entered one each month from now through January, with my first, the Round About 5K, this next Sunday. Since running is my weakest area, I thought this would be a great way to improve both my endurance and my speed for next year’s triathlons. And slowly, I have been improving. I’ve gone from 1.6 mile “runs” at 25 minutes/mile in March and being absolutely exhausted, sore, and unable to move afterward, to regularly running (and yes, a lot of running, albeit slowly) a 5K at a pretty consistent 15 minutes/mile and staying on my feet and remaining active afterward. As I keep pushing myself, I’d like to hit a 10 minute mile by the beginning of May and compete in Spokane’s Bloomsday 12K Run. I’d also like to compete in one Olympic triathlon next summer, in addition to a couple of sprints and duathlons.

Since I started this journey at the beginning of the year, I’ve lost 80 pounds, 12 inches around my waist, and dropped five sizes, and I’m now just two sizes away from that high school cheerleading outfit that’s in my garage somewhere. Even most of my triathlon gear is now too big, so I’ll be listing it on eBay in the Spring. And people who haven’t seen me all summer have had a hard time recognizing me, which is pretty cool.

This was my first mentor group and I hope I have been able to answer your questions as well as offer guidance and motivation.

I've found your advice and insight to be very helpful; thank you! I plan to continue on next spring, and, in fact, I’d like to see the group keep going through the winter. I've really found everyone to be a great source of motivation, and I love reading y’all’s race reports! I’ve learned something from every report, and I’ve certainly been inspired to train harder. But, I’m not really sure how best to keep up with winter training. I’m planning to cut back a bit on the hours I spend training every week, but not much, as winter won't affect my ability to swim or run. I’m back in the pool a couple nights a week, and I’ve started using fins to improve my kicking. I think it’s actually helped a bit, as it seems like I'm kicking more, and stronger. I’d like to do some strength training, too, but I’m not really sure where or how to start. I'm not really sure how to continue bike riding training (exercise bike--YAWN!!), either.

Originally posted by nrpoulin
Was on the USAT site the other day. If you have a usat number you are ranked. Kinda neat.

Yes, I’ve been checking out the USAT rankings. Although I’m dead last in both my state and region--but not the nation--it’s kind of fun to say “I’m a nationally ranked triathlete.” It certainly sounds impressive, doesn’t it? It’s too bad my last—and best—triathlon wasn’t sanctioned as it would have improved my standings, but, meh! I'm still nationally ranked

Edited by burner2 2014-09-15 11:55 PM
2014-09-16 6:32 AM

User image

New user

Thanks Scott!  and Great Race!

Very impressive run performance there, the ability to be able to turn it on 4 miles in and negative split with a strong finish like that...very strong. 

Arguing with yourself for 20  minutes over which race to do is pretty funny, but good job of following through with what you said you were going to do.  It worked out well and I bet you are happy you went with it.  Probably would have been disappointed with yourself later if you had talked yourself out of it.

Glad you were able to remember that you didn't have your chip.  That shows a lot of awareness that you didn't hear that beep when you crossed the mat.  I guess I always hear it, just never paid much attention.  Glad the new bike is working out, the more time you spend on it the better you'll be.  Also on the swim and getting off course a couple of times, how long between sights do you normally take?  I usually look up and try to sight around every 6th stroke (of 1 side). 

Thanks Chris! I am happy that I stuck with the race I registered for and I look forward to that same challenging course next year. As far as sighting goes I haven't focused on that in my training or prior to a race. I just wing it, which I plan/hope to not do in the future. (My training has been lacking for 2+ months or more in the swim department, I'm just happy I survived it with only a few mistakes) I also noticed a one guy preparing for the dismount, I have my eyes on that for next year as well.

Scott

2014-09-16 8:40 PM

User image

Originally posted by scottjjmtri99

I've have dealt with this, it's not normal. Have you tried a wrist brace? From my understanding there are nerves in your wrist that you can pinch and cause numbness. I have been able to somewhat control my issues with changing positions and more recently installing aero bars. I found that to help the most. Also, have you been fitted to your bike? From my research a slight adjustment can make a world of difference. Good luck.

Scott

I hadn't tried a wrist brace, but it's funny you mention it because I was looking at bike gloves that have built in wrist support. I have not been fitted for a bike. When I started this journey, I wasn't sure if I would like it or stick with it so I bought just about the cheapest road bike I could find. Now that I've found how much I enjoy it, I will be upgrading my bike. I won't go for a tri bike, but I will want a much better road bike. I wasn't sure just how expensive I would have to go in order for a fitting to be warranted.

Speaking of upgrading my road bike, does anyone know of any good sources for reviews on bikes that are more affordable? It seems like all of the reviews I can find online are for bikes in the $2000 and above range. I just can't bring myself to spend that much on a bike! I was really hoping to keep it under $1000. I just don't seem to find any reviews/comparisons on bikes in that price range.
2014-09-16 9:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

New bikes at that price point you are looking at a Cannondale CAAD 8 or a Trek 1.2, Specialized Allez Sport, Giant Defy 3.  There are others I'm sure, but you are looking at aluminum frame and Sora level components.  That is essentially what I started on with my Raleigh, aluminum and Sora.  There is nothing wrong with that (I still train on that bike nearly every day)  but you may want more as you grow in the sport.  I was able to pick mine up used for $500.  

Generally I think you could take your time and shop around for a used bike and get way more value (ie better components, etc) on a used bike than spending $1000 for an entry level road bike, just my opinion of course.  Here is a link to a review I did find on some of those models I mentioned above.

http://www.bikeradar.com/us/gear/article/best-road-bikes-under-1000-32772/

By the way, how tall are you?

And as far as vibration and numbness in the hands, I agree with Scott to maybe try some subtle adjustments.  Maybe start with the seat height up or down or forward or back.  Not much, just small increments to see if it improves.

Edited by Dominion 2014-09-16 9:21 PM
2014-09-16 9:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by rjchilds8

Thanks everyone!

I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say "thank you" for all of your time and help. Going into my first triathlon, I know I had so many questions and concerns and so many things on my mind. It was great having a seasoned veteran to be there to answer our questions and provide so many insights that can only come from experience. Like I said, I knew I'd hear your words out on the course and that prediction came true! Thanks so much for all you do for this group! So will we have to re-register for this group? Or will our "membership" be retained for next year?

Thanks Randy, very kind words.  I'm glad to do it and help in any way I can.

Everyone is of course welcome back.  Hopefully we can keep the group together and maybe add a few new contributors.  Might be a good idea for everyone to post an updated bio when the new group starts for any new folks and just to show the progress we have all made in the last few months.  I imagine it will be another month or so before they get reset.  I just wanted to post what I did because it seemed like everything was slowing down and people drifting off, but now it seems things are rejuvenated a little with some good discussions.

2014-09-16 9:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by burner2 Now that the triathlon season has finished here in my area, I’ve shifted my focus to 5K runs. Surprisingly, they have them year round! I’ve entered one each month from now through January, with my first, the Round About 5K, this next Sunday. Since running is my weakest area, I thought this would be a great way to improve both my endurance and my speed for next year’s triathlons. And slowly, I have been improving. I’ve gone from 1.6 mile “runs” at 25 minutes/mile in March and being absolutely exhausted, sore, and unable to move afterward, to regularly running (and yes, a lot of running, albeit slowly) a 5K at a pretty consistent 15 minutes/mile and staying on my feet and remaining active afterward. As I keep pushing myself, I’d like to hit a 10 minute mile by the beginning of May and compete in Spokane’s Bloomsday 12K Run. I’d also like to compete in one Olympic triathlon next summer, in addition to a couple of sprints and duathlons. Since I started this journey at the beginning of the year, I’ve lost 80 pounds, 12 inches around my waist, and dropped five sizes, and I’m now just two sizes away from that high school cheerleading outfit that’s in my garage somewhere. Even most of my triathlon gear is now too big, so I’ll be listing it on eBay in the Spring. And people who haven’t seen me all summer have had a hard time recognizing me, which is pretty cool.

This was my first mentor group and I hope I have been able to answer your questions as well as offer guidance and motivation.

I've found your advice and insight to be very helpful; thank you! I plan to continue on next spring, and, in fact, I’d like to see the group keep going through the winter. I've really found everyone to be a great source of motivation, and I love reading y’all’s race reports! I’ve learned something from every report, and I’ve certainly been inspired to train harder. But, I’m not really sure how best to keep up with winter training. I’m planning to cut back a bit on the hours I spend training every week, but not much, as winter won't affect my ability to swim or run. I’m back in the pool a couple nights a week, and I’ve started using fins to improve my kicking. I think it’s actually helped a bit, as it seems like I'm kicking more, and stronger. I’d like to do some strength training, too, but I’m not really sure where or how to start. I'm not really sure how to continue bike riding training (exercise bike--YAWN!!), either.
Originally posted by nrpoulin Was on the USAT site the other day. If you have a usat number you are ranked. Kinda neat.
Yes, I’ve been checking out the USAT rankings. Although I’m dead last in both my state and region--but not the nation--it’s kind of fun to say “I’m a nationally ranked triathlete.” It certainly sounds impressive, doesn’t it? It’s too bad my last—and best—triathlon wasn’t sanctioned as it would have improved my standings, but, meh! I'm still nationally ranked

Cassandra,

Hearing about your amazing progress and the incredible amount of weight loss is truly inspiring.  With everything you have accomplished I bet people do have a hard time recognizing you! Keep it up!

Indoor winter riding options are pretty much an exercise bike like you mentioned or an indoor trainer.  Either way they can be rather boring and tedious, but can help you improve over the winter.  Adding in a little strength training over the winter is a good idea too.  Are you looking at going to a gym or just maybe some body weight type of things you can do at the house without needing any/much equipment?  

Also I agree with cutting back the hours some over the winter.  You don't want to backtrack and lose any of the gains you have made, but it is also necessary to give the body and mind a little break from structured training.  Being mentally refreshed and ready to start back to a full training schedule next year is key.

Edited by Dominion 2014-09-16 9:45 PM
2014-09-17 10:55 AM

User image

New bikes at that price point you are looking at a Cannondale CAAD 8 or a Trek 1.2, Specialized Allez Sport, Giant Defy 3.  There are others I'm sure, but you are looking at aluminum frame and Sora level components.  That is essentially what I started on with my Raleigh, aluminum and Sora.  There is nothing wrong with that (I still train on that bike nearly every day)  but you may want more as you grow in the sport.  I was able to pick mine up used for $500.  

Generally I think you could take your time and shop around for a used bike and get way more value (ie better components, etc) on a used bike than spending $1000 for an entry level road bike, just my opinion of course.  Here is a link to a review I did find on some of those models I mentioned above.

And as far as vibration and numbness in the hands, I agree with Scott to maybe try some subtle adjustments.  Maybe start with the seat height up or down or forward or back.  Not much, just small increments to see if it improves.

I'm 5'-10" tall. When I first started to ride the bike, it felt like my knees were practically coming up into my chest. This was a little uncomfortable and it seemed like it couldn't be a good position for generating good power on the bike. As I continued to try to educate myself on all things triathlon, I noticed that many of the bikes that I would see in ads and articles had the seat higher up relative to the handlebars. So I adjusted my seat up and it did seem to improve my comfort and result in better speed/power. I haven't really changed it since the first couple of adjustments. I had considered raising the handlebars a little more. I thought maybe I was leaning over too much and it was putting too much pressure on my hands/wrists. Any thoughts?

2014-09-17 3:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

I'm 5'-10" tall. When I first started to ride the bike, it felt like my knees were practically coming up into my chest. This was a little uncomfortable and it seemed like it couldn't be a good position for generating good power on the bike. As I continued to try to educate myself on all things triathlon, I noticed that many of the bikes that I would see in ads and articles had the seat higher up relative to the handlebars. So I adjusted my seat up and it did seem to improve my comfort and result in better speed/power. I haven't really changed it since the first couple of adjustments. I had considered raising the handlebars a little more. I thought maybe I was leaning over too much and it was putting too much pressure on my hands/wrists. Any thoughts?

What size bike frame is it? (sorry if I missed that somewhere already)  If your knees are in your chest then it could be that the bike is just too small.  At 5'10 you should be riding a 54 or 56 I would guess.  Those are common sizes and you should have no trouble finding some nice used bikes if you decide to go that route. You can get that $2K to $2500 bike for $1000 slightly used if you check around I bet.

Any type of adjustments could help the numbness situation, or make it worse.  You'll just need to play around with it a little.  Seat up or down, or slide it forward or back on the rails, that may give you a little more room to spread out if that is the issue.  Raising the bars as you mentioned might also help.  There really is no answer other than to make sure the bike is at least a decent fit for you and then try different things to see what works.  

Edited by Dominion 2014-09-17 3:55 PM
2014-09-17 9:29 PM

User image

Chris,

This group was great! I found it tremendously more useful than my first group from the spring. Being sprint/oly focused definitely helped too. There were a lot of new people and a few vets so I think the mix was great. The group was pretty active with posting and racing and it kept thinks really interesting. I liked that it never closed so occasionally we would get a new person jump in with a question.

I would love to stay on for the next season and will continue to post here until they move to archive.
2014-09-17 9:35 PM

User image

My numbness all but went away with buying a tri bike. I found on the roadie I constantly had to switch positions and could only be on the drops for a short period of time and felt okay for longer if I road on the hoods. I would definitely consider a bike fit and a tri bike or aero bars.

Nate
2014-09-19 7:18 AM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by nrpoulin Chris, This group was great! I found it tremendously more useful than my first group from the spring. Being sprint/oly focused definitely helped too. There were a lot of new people and a few vets so I think the mix was great. The group was pretty active with posting and racing and it kept thinks really interesting. I liked that it never closed so occasionally we would get a new person jump in with a question. I would love to stay on for the next season and will continue to post here until they move to archive.

Sounds great! Glad you plan to stick around! I'm ready for a little break from training, but looking forward to keeping in touch with everybody and keeping the discussions going.

2014-09-19 7:38 AM
in reply to: #4996689

User image

Well I may need to scratch my final tri of the season. It's about two hours away and my son has a soccer game that day with team photos. With the new baby and a toddler it's just to much to ask my wife to do. Looking for out of state races that may work better. Found a ows ocean swim that it's a time up for breach to battleship that I am entertaining.

2014-09-20 11:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Weather felt great out there this morning.  I get in a 41 mile ride, my last serious training ride before the last race of the year next weekend.  Temps in the 60's and a nice breeze.  Fall is just around the corner!

2014-09-24 7:00 PM

User image

What size bike frame is it? (sorry if I missed that somewhere already)  If your knees are in your chest then it could be that the bike is just too small.  At 5'10 you should be riding a 54 or 56 I would guess.  Those are common sizes and you should have no trouble finding some nice used bikes if you decide to go that route. You can get that $2K to $2500 bike for $1000 slightly used if you check around I bet.

Any type of adjustments could help the numbness situation, or make it worse.  You'll just need to play around with it a little.  Seat up or down, or slide it forward or back on the rails, that may give you a little more room to spread out if that is the issue.  Raising the bars as you mentioned might also help.  There really is no answer other than to make sure the bike is at least a decent fit for you and then try different things to see what works.  

To be quite honest, I don't actually know what size it is. I went back to look at my order and the description says that it has a 22.5 inch frame. The information said that size was good for someone between 5-8 and 6-2. Once I raised the seat, then it was much better and my knees didn't feel like they were going to knock me in the chin. I couldn't reach the ground from the seat, but I could reach without slamming the family jewels into the crossbar. LOL

Someone suggested checking craigslist for used bikes, but I haven't found much in my area. Plus, I honestly don't really know what I'm looking for. I know I should find some better components than what is on my cheapo bike, but I don't really know what qualifies as "better". I got a test 3-month subscription to Bicycling magazine, but so far it seems like they only review the components at the far upper end of the spectrum. I just don't see me spending $300 or more on a seat! I just want a decent bike that doesn't weigh a ton, handles well, and shifts smoothly. I'd consider trying something with the aero bars, but it wouldn't be a requirement for me (yet).

Edited by rjchilds8 2014-09-24 7:01 PM
2014-09-25 12:54 AM

User image

Pacific Northwest, Washington
My first 5K of the fall/winter season last Sunday. It was a pretty small race, with about 90 competitors total, ranging from 8 to 70+. I lined up right on the start line and took off as fast as I could when the starter gun went off. People immediately started passing me; I just focused on going as fast as I could and ignored them. After about two blocks, I was pretty winded and slowed down a bit to a more comfortable pace, and then the stroller moms passed me. For the first mile, it was pretty much people passing me as I ran as fast as I could. I know I wasn’t going fast, but I was going fast for me, and I didn’t let myself slow down. I kept up a pretty steady pace, alternating between running and race walking. I really pushed myself.

I wasn’t wearing a watch or anything, so I had no idea what kind of pace I was keeping, but I thought I was doing really well. However, when I crossed the finish line, the timer said 48 minutes and change, which was really depressing. I thought for sure it would be 40 to maybe 42 minutes at the most! I went and laid down in the grass while I drank a bottle of water and watched the other competitors slowly file in. I must have looked pretty depressed because one of the volunteers came up to see if I was OK, and I told her I was pretty discouraged with my time. And then she said the route was actually longer than 5K, but she didn’t know how long for sure.

After the awards ceremony, I jumped in my truck, drove home, grabbed my bike, and came back and rode the route to see how long it actually was. Yes, I drove 100 miles just to measure the race route! It was really important to me to see how I’d actually done because the thought of a 16-minute mile was pretty depressing after all the work and training I’ve done in the past seven months. Well it turns out the route is 3.36 miles long—a full quarter mile longer than a 5K! And that makes a big, big difference for a slow runner like me! Suddenly, my really crappy race turned into a personal best! The official results aren’t posted yet, but at 48 minutes and change, it means I ran between a 14:17 and a 14:34-minute mile pace, which beats my previous personal best during my last triathlon of a 14:57-minute mile pace.

So, that gives me a pretty good idea of where I stand right now with respect to my running ability. My next race is in five weeks, and hopefully, by then I will be able to increase my speed to at least a 14-minute mile, if not faster. My goal is to cut a half minute off my mile pace per month, which would put me at a 10-minute pace for next spring’s triathlons.
2014-09-25 6:28 AM

User image

New user

To be quite honest, I don't actually know what size it is. I went back to look at my order and the description says that it has a 22.5 inch frame. The information said that size was good for someone between 5-8 and 6-2. Once I raised the seat, then it was much better and my knees didn't feel like they were going to knock me in the chin. I couldn't reach the ground from the seat, but I could reach without slamming the family jewels into the crossbar. LOL

Someone suggested checking craigslist for used bikes, but I haven't found much in my area. Plus, I honestly don't really know what I'm looking for. I know I should find some better components than what is on my cheapo bike, but I don't really know what qualifies as "better". I got a test 3-month subscription to Bicycling magazine, but so far it seems like they only review the components at the far upper end of the spectrum. I just don't see me spending $300 or more on a seat! I just want a decent bike that doesn't weigh a ton, handles well, and shifts smoothly. I'd consider trying something with the aero bars, but it wouldn't be a requirement for me (yet).

May I suggest going to a bike shop. Look around. Talk with them. When I was looking and eventually bought my bike, I had been to 4 different shops. It's closeout season too, you might be able to find a good deal or if nothing else some tips on upgrades for your current bike.

Scott
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint/Oly Focus Group - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 24

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum--OPEN! Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40

Started by lutzman
Views: 43013 Posts: 980

2015-01-10 7:42 PM mtsnorider

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 50184 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19321 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 23, 2010
comments : 0
I want to follow the Winter Maintenance-Run Focus program (8 weeks), but don't know when to start. I also want to do the Intermediate Sprint-12 week program before my first race.

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : July 17, 2005
author : chrisandniki
comments : 0
A Navy Seals program modified specifically for triathletes. Heavy on the running, swimming, push/pull-ups and sit-ups, will you find yourself man (or woman) enough to finish?