BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint/Oly Focus Group - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2014-12-01 8:11 AM
in reply to: manno

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: Dominion's Sprint/Oly Focus Group - OPEN

Originally posted by manno Thanks. I have been doing usually an hour of exercise each day of some sort for the last 3 months. Have just started filling out the logs this week. Usually do a 3k and a 5k run each week but definitely more of a jog. Think I need to run with others to move a bit faster. Can't imagine exercising in some of those cold temps you guys experience, that's hardcore! Cheers Manno

Brenden, try to run more often.  Even if it is just a slow jog, that is fine for now.  Run at least 4 X per week.  5 if you can.  Make at least 2 of them 5k to start and work up to where 5K is your "normal" daily run.

2014-12-01 8:15 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Concentrated on mostly running this month.  Meant to get a few rides in as well, but it just never happened.  Going to get the trainer set up by next week.

November Totals:

S: 0

B: 0

R: 61 miles

Leaf Raking: 0

Edited by Dominion 2014-12-01 8:17 AM
2014-12-01 11:43 AM
in reply to: Dominion

User image

North Grafton, Massachusetts
Well, I mostly concentrated on being a lazy bum for the last 6 weeks! LOL

November totals (no calculator necessary).

Swim: 1300 meters
Bike: what? 0.00 miles
Run: 3.10 miles

I am officially restarting my training program NOW! If I have to, I'll drag my bike and indoor trainer up to the living room so I can ride while I watch Monday Night Football.
2014-12-01 1:59 PM

User image

Originally posted by Dominion

Concentrated on mostly running this month.  Meant to get a few rides in as well, but it just never happened.  Going to get the trainer set up by next week.

November Totals:

S: 0

B: 0

R: 61 miles

Leaf Raking: 0

Leaf Ranking: 0??!?! I wish! I think I probably put in no fewer than 15 hours of leaf raking.
2014-12-01 9:36 PM
in reply to: #4996689

Wollongong, New South Wales
Thanks for the advice, can't believe there's no silver bullet:-D Will kick it up and see what happens.
Cheers
2014-12-06 8:50 PM

Well did my first sprint trip yesterday at Callala (NSW, Australia) The report is in the race report section and log.
Mixed emotions in a lot of ways, at the end of each leg and at the end of the whole thing still had gas left in the tank. 2 key things for me is back spasms on the bike and getting a much more aggressive mindset. Figuring how to compete without blowing up.
As discussed earlier post, need to pull m y finger out in regards to running training which should start to become evident.

Its good though I have a baseline to build from.

Hats off to anyone who does half and full ironman, I've decided you guys are nuts after just doing a sprint!!

Cheers.

Brenden

2014-12-06 9:15 PM

User image

Pacific Northwest, Washington
Jingle Bells 5K Run

The day started with a harrowing, two-hour, white-knuckle drive on an unlit, deer-infested, black ice-covered rural highway in a freezing rainstorm. I left early to give myself plenty of time. Once I got there, I had to walk about a mile before I found the event venue. It was a few degrees warmer in the city and no snow or ice, so the race conditions were good. And, they had plenty of volunteers to keep everyone on the course.

I started out really well and ran about 17 minutes before my left leg stiffened up and I had to slow down a bit. I tried to keep up at least a 4.5 mph pace after that, but probably a half mile from the finish line, I slowed to a walk a couple of times to relieve the pounding on my hips and knee. Finish time: 43:03. That puts me at about a 14-minute mile. Not bad for me, but not great, so I’m a little disappointed.

Next 5K in about six weeks, and then an indoor tri at the end of February. I’m probably going to take it easy now for a couple of weeks and concentrate on physical therapy, which is now taking me about an hour and a half a day. (LOTS of exercises!) As far as endurance goes, I don’t get winded anymore when running. I could easily run 5K and at a pretty good pace if it weren’t for my body hurting. By mile 2, I really hurt.
2014-12-07 12:26 AM

User image

Originally posted by manno
Well did my first sprint trip yesterday at Callala (NSW, Australia) The report is in the race report section and log.
Mixed emotions in a lot of ways, at the end of each leg and at the end of the whole thing still had gas left in the tank. 2 key things for me is back spasms on the bike and getting a much more aggressive mindset. Figuring how to compete without blowing up.
As discussed earlier post, need to pull m y finger out in regards to running training which should start to become evident.

Great race, Brenden! I can't believe the torrential downpour and what it did to the transition area; that looks like quite a flood!
2014-12-07 1:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by manno Well did my first sprint trip yesterday at Callala (NSW, Australia) The report is in the race report section and log. Mixed emotions in a lot of ways, at the end of each leg and at the end of the whole thing still had gas left in the tank. 2 key things for me is back spasms on the bike and getting a much more aggressive mindset. Figuring how to compete without blowing up. As discussed earlier post, need to pull m y finger out in regards to running training which should start to become evident. Its good though I have a baseline to build from. Hats off to anyone who does half and full ironman, I've decided you guys are nuts after just doing a sprint!! Cheers. Brenden

Nice  job.  For a sense of urgency, if no one else is near you, race the clock.  Set goals for each section of the race and go get it!

2014-12-07 1:41 PM
in reply to: burner2

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by burner2 Jingle Bells 5K Run The day started with a harrowing, two-hour, white-knuckle drive on an unlit, deer-infested, black ice-covered rural highway in a freezing rainstorm. I left early to give myself plenty of time. Once I got there, I had to walk about a mile before I found the event venue. It was a few degrees warmer in the city and no snow or ice, so the race conditions were good. And, they had plenty of volunteers to keep everyone on the course. I started out really well and ran about 17 minutes before my left leg stiffened up and I had to slow down a bit. I tried to keep up at least a 4.5 mph pace after that, but probably a half mile from the finish line, I slowed to a walk a couple of times to relieve the pounding on my hips and knee. Finish time: 43:03. That puts me at about a 14-minute mile. Not bad for me, but not great, so I’m a little disappointed. Next 5K in about six weeks, and then an indoor tri at the end of February. I’m probably going to take it easy now for a couple of weeks and concentrate on physical therapy, which is now taking me about an hour and a half a day. (LOTS of exercises!) As far as endurance goes, I don’t get winded anymore when running. I could easily run 5K and at a pretty good pace if it weren’t for my body hurting. By mile 2, I really hurt.

You continue to amaze me!

A 2 hour drive on a black ice covered rural highway for a 5k. Crazy!

Good job though, another great performance!

2014-12-08 3:31 AM
in reply to: #5071237

Thanks Burner. Can't believe your commitment, you run rings around me great effort to push yourself to get out of the house in those conditions and the compete!
Dominion thanks for your comments to. I've only participated in sports where there is a clear competitor to try to beat. Struggle pushing myself at moment without that visible person to compete with. It was good to getvthis understanding from the race.

Cheers
brenden

2014-12-16 10:31 AM

User image

Subject: Restarting training
OK, I'm looking for insight and opinions on how people ramp back up their training after a layoff. I haven't done much since mid-October and I'm getting a little momentum in trying to get my training kick started. I'm curious about a couple different approaches to getting started up running again. My last few treadmill runs, I've been trying to keep up a relatively fast pace. But that has meant that I've had to cut my distance down due to lost conditioning. I started to wonder if I would be able to build back to where I was more quickly if I slowed my pace, which would allow me to run longer distance wise.

Is there any research to suggest one approach is better than the other? That is, for example, am I better off running 2.5 miles at a faster pace (say 8:30 miles) and building my distance back up at that pace? Or would I do better if I ran 3+ miles, but at maybe closer to 9:00 miles or even a little slower? I did a little over 2.5 miles last night at 8:45 pace, and I know I could have easily made a full 5K if I slowed my pace.

What do other find works best for them? Or does anyone know of any articles that address this situation?

Thanks,
Randy
2014-12-16 6:35 PM
in reply to: rjchilds8

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: Restarting training

I don't know about any research or scientific data, but I would recommend a few slower runs to get back in the swing of things.  No need to push too hard at this time.  Your next race is most likely a long way off, so just ease back into the training.  The key is just to be consistent.  You'll get back into the routine and it won't take long to bounce back and pick up at the levels where you left off.

On another note, it looks like we have now been archived, and I'll be starting a new group.  Hope to see everyone on the new thread soon!

2014-12-17 11:03 AM

User image

Subject: RE: Restarting training
Originally posted by Dominion

I don't know about any research or scientific data, but I would recommend a few slower runs to get back in the swing of things.  No need to push too hard at this time.  Your next race is most likely a long way off, so just ease back into the training.  The key is just to be consistent.  You'll get back into the routine and it won't take long to bounce back and pick up at the levels where you left off.

On another note, it looks like we have now been archived, and I'll be starting a new group.  Hope to see everyone on the new thread soon!

Thanks, Chris. I think I'll probably go with a mix of runs at a slower pace and longer distance and then do one run where I got at a faster pace where I may or may not make my goal distance. In my local area, they have a 3-race series called the Tour de Patrick. It's 3 5K races in the span of 8 days, two down in Rhode Island and one up here in Worcester, MA. As you might be able to guess, they all take place around St. Patrick's Day (and coincide with the St. Patrick's Day parades in each city where the race is held). I'm targeting those races as my next goal and want to try to complete all 3 with a sub-26 time. If I work my butt off, I might even be able to do that first one sub-25! Maybe.

When you start the new group, how will we know which one it is?

Randy
2014-12-25 11:40 AM

User image

Subject: Happy Holidays
Happy Holidays to everyone! 50 degrees here in central Massachusetts on Christmas Day. I think I'm going to have to bundle up and take my brand new Specialized Secteur out for its maiden voyage!
2014-12-25 10:07 PM

User image

Subject: RE: Happy Holidays
Originally posted by rjchilds8
Happy Holidays to everyone! 50 degrees here in central Massachusetts on Christmas Day. I think I'm going to have to bundle up and take my brand new Specialized Secteur out for its maiden voyage!

Happy holidays and sweet! Congrats! I was looking at one of those a few weeks ago!

I, too, am enjoying my new toys, and I did a personal best at the pool today--2,020 yards!

2014-12-26 10:43 PM
in reply to: #5072863

User image

Glad everyone had a nice xmas. I got a cycleops fluid trainer. Did my first ride seems like I am going to burn thru tires.
2014-12-29 10:06 PM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

New Mentor board is up. Chris are you still planning on having a group?

Nate
2014-12-30 9:17 PM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

2014-12-31 11:52 PM
in reply to: burner2

User image

Happy New Year!

My December totals
SWIM 58m 07s - 3200.00 Yd
BIKE 5h 26m 40s - 95.21 Mi
RUN 1h 39m 37s - 12.38 Mi

Feels like I haven't been doing anything but seeing it like this I don't feel as bad. I really the running due to some hip and foot problems that I think I have sorted out.

In 2014
SWIM 77.5 M
BIKE 1120 Mi
RUN 476 MI

Time to get working. Still need to find my first race. When are you guys racing?
2015-01-01 2:29 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Happy New Year, everyone!

December totals
S: 25,260 yards
B: 100.05 miles
R: 37.95 miles
Strength Training: 37h 20m
Cross-Country Skiing: 8.5 miles

2014 Totals
S: 83.2 miles
B: 1,265.75 miles
R: 283.9 miles

Pounds lost: 95
Sizes dropped: 6

I added a few extra swim sessions in December because it was swim month for the USAT National Challenge Competition. I finished the month being one of the top five swimmers for Team USAT (the team comprised of triathlon club "orphans").

In one year, I've learned how to swim and went from struggling to swim two pool lengths freestyle, to regularly swimming 1800-2000 yards freestyle without stopping. I've also gone from walking a mile in 26 minutes to being able to run a 12-minute mile. My bike speeds really haven't improved much, and I'm not sure why.

Goals for 2015 are to get faster, get faster, and get faster. Oh, and get faster. I am planning to compete in seven triathlons in 2015, including an indoor event at the end of February.

One of my really cool new toys that I'd wish I'd bought a long time ago is my new Timex Ironman GPS watch. I wear it now when I run, ride my bike, and cross country ski. It's pretty accurate and tracks my mileage and time and also shows my current speed, although it's not always easy to check with I'm skiing or riding my bike. I think it will give me helpful feedback when running 5K races.

Edited by burner2 2015-01-01 2:37 AM

2015-01-01 8:19 AM
in reply to: #4996689

User image

Wow what a great year! Keep up the strong work
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint/Oly Focus Group - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 24

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum--OPEN! Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40

Started by lutzman
Views: 43036 Posts: 980

2015-01-10 7:42 PM mtsnorider

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 50216 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19332 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 23, 2010
comments : 0
I want to follow the Winter Maintenance-Run Focus program (8 weeks), but don't know when to start. I also want to do the Intermediate Sprint-12 week program before my first race.

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : July 17, 2005
author : chrisandniki
comments : 0
A Navy Seals program modified specifically for triathletes. Heavy on the running, swimming, push/pull-ups and sit-ups, will you find yourself man (or woman) enough to finish?