BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2014-07-24 10:03 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered)
In other news, I have officially given up on Adamo.

blech.

My next trials include Selle SMP Pro and Cobb - either VFlow or Randee (I know, right?)

I had an old Terry Liberator pro in the garage that seems to be comfortable enough for now. I think the Selle is close in dimensions without the bulk at the front so I ordered one. HOLY $$ but if it works, I don't care!

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

2014-07-24 10:14 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk In other news, I have officially given up on Adamo. blech. My next trials include Selle SMP Pro and Cobb - either VFlow or Randee (I know, right?) I had an old Terry Liberator pro in the garage that seems to be comfortable enough for now. I think the Selle is close in dimensions without the bulk at the front so I ordered one. HOLY $$ but if it works, I don't care! Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

I know the feeling!  There have been times in my cycling life that I would pay pretty much anything to be comfortable in the saddle!

2014-07-24 10:20 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Ref tyre pressures. I'm taking it that you were both using clinchers? Reason I'm asking is because this subject is being discussed on another forum, and I appear to be running pressure in the rear that is way higher than anyone else are running. I was running 160 in the rear from the advice given by my lbs when buying tub tape. Anyway, I downloaded this app http://www.vittoria.com/app/in putted my details, and it suggests running 120 in the rear.

An interesting article was linked in the other forum

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/article/tyre-pressure-21-days-of...

I would have done the opposite and put less pressure in on wet surfaces.

Ohhhhhh, and good luck Kirsten for this weekend.

Edited by Richardsdrr 2014-07-24 10:21 AM
2014-07-24 10:24 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
On another note, it's so much better you can add athletes you are tracking on the IM website to a favourite list. So much easier than putting in the bib number each refresh.
2014-07-24 10:25 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk In other news, I have officially given up on Adamo. blech. My next trials include Selle SMP Pro and Cobb - either VFlow or Randee (I know, right?) I had an old Terry Liberator pro in the garage that seems to be comfortable enough for now. I think the Selle is close in dimensions without the bulk at the front so I ordered one. HOLY $$ but if it works, I don't care! Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

I know the feeling!  There have been times in my cycling life that I would pay pretty much anything to be comfortable in the saddle!

Check out Dash saddles and this won't seem so bad!

2014-07-24 10:28 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Richardsdrr Ref tyre pressures. I'm taking it that you were both using clinchers? Reason I'm asking is because this subject is being discussed on another forum, and I appear to be running pressure in the rear that is way higher than anyone else are running. I was running 160 in the rear from the advice given by my lbs when buying tub tape. Anyway, I downloaded this app http://www.vittoria.com/app/in putted my details, and it suggests running 120 in the rear. An interesting article was linked in the other forum http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/article/tyre-pressure-21-days-of... I would have done the opposite and put less pressure in on wet surfaces. Ohhhhhh, and good luck Kirsten for this weekend.

Yes, clinchers.

They way I read this, some teams do inflate to less pressure in the rain.  "But there is also a range of thought on what to do for the rain. Some mechanics leave pressure as it is for the dry; others lower it." 

Personally, I use less pressure in rain and if I know that I'm going to have a lot of chipseal on my route.

2014-07-24 10:32 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by brigby1

Thank goodness their website doesn't make me want to buy one!
2014-07-24 10:34 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Richardsdrr Ref tyre pressures. I'm taking it that you were both using clinchers? Reason I'm asking is because this subject is being discussed on another forum, and I appear to be running pressure in the rear that is way higher than anyone else are running. I was running 160 in the rear from the advice given by my lbs when buying tub tape. Anyway, I downloaded this app http://www.vittoria.com/app/in putted my details, and it suggests running 120 in the rear. An interesting article was linked in the other forum http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/article/tyre-pressure-21-days-of... I would have done the opposite and put less pressure in on wet surfaces. Ohhhhhh, and good luck Kirsten for this weekend.

Yeah, 160 is ridiculously high. Stuff beyond 120 or so is largely going to be for super smooth and fast surfaces. Like that of a Velodrome or super slick indoor tracks. Roads just aren't going to be smooth enough for that as the tire needs to absorb all the little bumps. Are you on tubulars or clinchers? Some tend to run tubulars a little lower than clinchers due to the reduced pinch flat potential. If your tires are supposed be anywhere near what you have them at, then wonder if they're really a good set for you.

2014-07-24 10:35 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk
Originally posted by brigby1

Thank goodness their website doesn't make me want to buy one!

But they have a trial program...

2014-07-24 10:48 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Seattle

Finally, finally, FINALLY I am starting to feel good at practice!!! I had a "good" workout last night! I'm still not feeling fast but I was able to hang onto the back of my old group for all of the reps! YAY! 

We did 4 x 1 mile, descending with 3 minutes rest

6:34

6:29

6:27

6:20 

Also, I did my good deed and rescued a snail that was making his way across the track, headed towards lane 1. Lane 1 would have surely meant certain death.

In other news I ran Ragnar over the weekend. Had a really good time per usual Ragnar vibes. BUT I got food poisoning between run #2 and run #3. I was in a little ball in the back of the van wearing 3 pair of sweatpants, shivering and puking my guts out at every stop we made. I had to do my third run so utterly depleted it was INSANE! Never want to do that again. 

2014-07-24 10:51 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Finally, finally, FINALLY I am starting to feel good at practice!!! I had a "good" workout last night! I'm still not feeling fast but I was able to hang onto the back of my old group for all of the reps! YAY! 

Also, I did my good deed and rescued a snail that was making his way across the track, headed towards lane 1. Lane 1 would have surely meant certain death.

In other news I ran Ragnar over the weekend. Had a really good time per usual Ragnar vibes. BUT I got food poisoning between run #2 and run #3. I was in a little ball in the back of the van wearing 3 pair of sweatpants, shivering and puking my guts out at every stop we made. I had to do my third run so utterly depleted it was INSANE! Never want to do that again. 

So much awesomeness in this post! Your mile splits were amazing! Saving a snail! AND TO RUN #3 AFTER DEALING WITH FOOD POISONING?!?!?!?!?!

U! R! AWESOME!!!!!!

2014-07-24 11:00 AM

User image

Master

Whaaaatttt? I thought you had an iron stomach!  That sucks. And crazy that you still did the run. That is certainly taking one for the team.

2014-07-24 11:06 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by bcraht

Consider yourself tracked!!!!

So, race being close, I have been thinking about all those who have helped me get here.  And I want you lot to know that you are all high on that list.  For the past  2.5 years, y'all have been there.  Every question I asked and got answered, I learned from.  Every question that one of YOU asked, and got answered, I learned from.  All your logs, I learned from.  The frivolity, the humour, the recipes (noted about heat and Range Rover Land Cruiser dashboards...), I've learned from.  All your posts about triathlon, your families, your work, your struggles, your successes, your joys, I have learned from.  This sport, and you, have taught me much; about swim, bike, run, yes.  But about balance, about perseverance, about patience.  Thank you all so much for your support, your friendship, your inspires, your knowledge.  You will all be out there on the course with me.

(And since you will be, could ya push me up the hills?)

You rock! Thank you so much for the kind words, you made me get all misty. Your journey has been a joy to watch and to learn from.

Agreed!!

2014-07-24 11:27 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by rrrunner

So much awesomeness in this post! Your mile splits were amazing! Saving a snail! AND TO RUN #3 AFTER DEALING WITH FOOD POISONING?!?!?!?!?!

U! R! AWESOME!!!!!!

^^ x 2!!  Incredible!!!

2014-07-24 11:59 AM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by bcraht

Consider yourself tracked!!!!

So, race being close, I have been thinking about all those who have helped me get here.  And I want you lot to know that you are all high on that list.  For the past  2.5 years, y'all have been there.  Every question I asked and got answered, I learned from.  Every question that one of YOU asked, and got answered, I learned from.  All your logs, I learned from.  The frivolity, the humour, the recipes (noted about heat and Range Rover Land Cruiser dashboards...), I've learned from.  All your posts about triathlon, your families, your work, your struggles, your successes, your joys, I have learned from.  This sport, and you, have taught me much; about swim, bike, run, yes.  But about balance, about perseverance, about patience.  Thank you all so much for your support, your friendship, your inspires, your knowledge.  You will all be out there on the course with me.

(And since you will be, could ya push me up the hills?)

Ahhh ha, this is it, eh??? 

How exciting!!! Have so much fun!

2014-07-24 12:00 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Whaaaatttt? I thought you had an iron stomach!  That sucks. And crazy that you still did the run. That is certainly taking one for the team.

I know. I do! Not sure what it was. Thinking bad seafood My stomach apparently has limits. 

2014-07-24 12:07 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I know. I do! Not sure what it was. Thinking bad seafood My stomach apparently has limits. 

This only happened after your 30th birthday right? Welcome to the club 

2014-07-24 1:25 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

This only happened after your 30th birthday right? Welcome to the club 

Perhaps the tide has turned. Yanti can now eat like an ox, whilst (put that in for you) you will now get food poisoning just from looking at a pop tart 1 day past sell by date. And the world is balanced once more.
2014-07-24 7:10 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Veteran
Cleveland, Tennessee

Question for everyone. I am having some foot pain when I wake up in the mornings. It is across my foot, between my arch and my toes. It goes away after a little bit of walking but pretty painful when I just get up. Could this be a version of plantar faciatis? I am having some heel pain on my right foot, but both feet hurt when I wake up in about the same area. I switch my shoes from day to day when I run, but my work boots do not get switched out. Any suggestions or possible treatments? I am thinking of taking a week off from running to see if it helps it.

I have not increased my running distance lately, but this is a new pain. It has increased over the past few weeks, about the time I was trying to get more biking into the schedule. I am at a loss for how to deal with it and keep going.

2014-07-24 7:55 PM
in reply to: jbwills

User image

Master

I KNEW SOMETHING WAS NIGGLING AT ME!!! 

Shoes good enough to eat...for Ann-Marie's birthday (in my typical belated fashion).

2014-07-24 8:41 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Shoes good enough to eat...for Ann-Marie's birthday (in my typical belated fashion).

Wait, did you bake those?!?!

2014-07-24 9:39 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Originally posted by laffinrock

I wish! Aren't they so cool? Even down to the "used" look details.
2014-07-24 9:40 PM
in reply to: #4996915

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
On the dash board :D
2014-07-24 10:21 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by laffinrock

I wish! Aren't they so cool? Even down to the "used" look details.

I had to look really closely to figure out that they weren't real.  They almost look sweat-stained, which admittedly isn't all that appetizing.  Pretty amazing feat!

2014-07-24 10:47 PM
in reply to: jbwills

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by jbwills

Question for everyone. I am having some foot pain when I wake up in the mornings. It is across my foot, between my arch and my toes. It goes away after a little bit of walking but pretty painful when I just get up. Could this be a version of plantar faciatis? I am having some heel pain on my right foot, but both feet hurt when I wake up in about the same area. I switch my shoes from day to day when I run, but my work boots do not get switched out. Any suggestions or possible treatments? I am thinking of taking a week off from running to see if it helps it.

I have not increased my running distance lately, but this is a new pain. It has increased over the past few weeks, about the time I was trying to get more biking into the schedule. I am at a loss for how to deal with it and keep going.

Sounds miserable and frustrating!!  Since it's showed up since you started riding more, I'd be more inclined to blame the riding rather than the running. It could be caused by increased pressure on those areas of your feet contacting the pedals.  If you're wearing running shoes while riding, is there a way to use stiffer-soled shoes?  Another option, since it doesn't seem to happen *while* riding or running, is to ice or massage your feet after doing either.  Rolling your foot on a tennis ball is similar to using a foam roller - hurts like heck but helps loosen things up.  Also doing a little stretching (toe pointing/flexing/crunching, foot circles) before getting out of bed might help to loosen things up before you put your full weight on your feet.  If all else fails, I'd suggest laying off the bike before laying off the running.  NSAIDs might be in order too, at least for a few days, to reduce any inflammation that might be going on.  Good luck!

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : December 17, 2007
author : LukeTX04
I learned in this race that in order to finish the swim, you have to know where you are going. And in order to know where you are going, you have to learn to sight.
date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.