BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2014-07-25 2:51 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Expert
Cambridge
Subject: RE: Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered)
I am back! I have smart telephonic device and it is enabling me to post.

I will apologise for missing about 40 pages of thread

I'm "racing" this weekend - London to Cambridge - 60 miles bike ride. I am woefully under prepared having managed about 5 x20 mile rides in the last 3 weeks, but the goals are :

a) Finish
b) Finish without having to walk like a cowboy after wards
c) Finish in under 6 hours

2014-07-25 3:54 AM
in reply to: jbwills

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by jbwills

Question for everyone. I am having some foot pain when I wake up in the mornings. It is across my foot, between my arch and my toes. It goes away after a little bit of walking but pretty painful when I just get up. Could this be a version of plantar faciatis? I am having some heel pain on my right foot, but both feet hurt when I wake up in about the same area. I switch my shoes from day to day when I run, but my work boots do not get switched out. Any suggestions or possible treatments? I am thinking of taking a week off from running to see if it helps it.

I have not increased my running distance lately, but this is a new pain. It has increased over the past few weeks, about the time I was trying to get more biking into the schedule. I am at a loss for how to deal with it and keep going.

how many miles do your work boots have on them? I'm assuming that you wear them for long hours each day and are on your feet for most of the day. Can you get new ones issued? I know that might not be an easy task considering where you are.

I was having weird feet pain and thought it was upping my running but it turns out it was actually my work shoes.
2014-07-25 5:45 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

I KNEW SOMETHING WAS NIGGLING AT ME!!! 

Shoes good enough to eat...for Ann-Marie's birthday (in my typical belated fashion).

Wait, did you bake those?!?!

I wish! Aren't they so cool? Even down to the "used" look details.

I had to look really closely to figure out that they weren't real.  They almost look sweat-stained, which admittedly isn't all that appetizing.  Pretty amazing feat!

What do you mean they're not real? I thought Just thought Erin runs through some really gnarly trails and, apparently, is pretty tolerant of sand in her shoes
2014-07-25 7:14 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by amd723
What do you mean they're not real? I thought Just thought Erin runs through some really gnarly trails and, apparently, is pretty tolerant of sand in her shoes

me too!!
2014-07-25 8:06 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk
Originally posted by amd723 What do you mean they're not real? I thought Just thought Erin runs through some really gnarly trails and, apparently, is pretty tolerant of sand in her shoes
me too!!

Somehow the thought of Erin gnawing on a shoe is interesting.

2014-07-25 8:17 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by amd723

I KNEW SOMETHING WAS NIGGLING AT ME!!! 

Shoes good enough to eat...for Ann-Marie's birthday (in my typical belated fashion).

Wait, did you bake those?!?!

I wish! Aren't they so cool? Even down to the "used" look details.

I had to look really closely to figure out that they weren't real.  They almost look sweat-stained, which admittedly isn't all that appetizing.  Pretty amazing feat!

That is one amazing cake - I thought they were real too.

2014-07-25 8:27 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Question for everyone. I am having some foot pain when I wake up in the mornings. It is across my foot, between my arch and my toes. It goes away after a little bit of walking but pretty painful when I just get up. Could this be a version of plantar faciatis? I am having some heel pain on my right foot, but both feet hurt when I wake up in about the same area. I switch my shoes from day to day when I run, but my work boots do not get switched out. Any suggestions or possible treatments? I am thinking of taking a week off from running to see if it helps it.

I have not increased my running distance lately, but this is a new pain. It has increased over the past few weeks, about the time I was trying to get more biking into the schedule. I am at a loss for how to deal with it and keep going.

Sounds miserable and frustrating!!  Since it's showed up since you started riding more, I'd be more inclined to blame the riding rather than the running. It could be caused by increased pressure on those areas of your feet contacting the pedals.  If you're wearing running shoes while riding, is there a way to use stiffer-soled shoes?  Another option, since it doesn't seem to happen *while* riding or running, is to ice or massage your feet after doing either.  Rolling your foot on a tennis ball is similar to using a foam roller - hurts like heck but helps loosen things up.  Also doing a little stretching (toe pointing/flexing/crunching, foot circles) before getting out of bed might help to loosen things up before you put your full weight on your feet.  If all else fails, I'd suggest laying off the bike before laying off the running.  NSAIDs might be in order too, at least for a few days, to reduce any inflammation that might be going on.  Good luck!

What Mary said.

2014-07-25 8:29 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by StaceyK

how many miles do your work boots have on them? I'm assuming that you wear them for long hours each day and are on your feet for most of the day. Can you get new ones issued? I know that might not be an easy task considering where you are. I was having weird feet pain and thought it was upping my running but it turns out it was actually my work shoes.

Or Superfeet (or other insoles) in our work boots?

2014-07-25 8:57 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by jmkizer

Sounds miserable and frustrating!!  Since it's showed up since you started riding more, I'd be more inclined to blame the riding rather than the running. It could be caused by increased pressure on those areas of your feet contacting the pedals.  If you're wearing running shoes while riding, is there a way to use stiffer-soled shoes?  Another option, since it doesn't seem to happen *while* riding or running, is to ice or massage your feet after doing either.  Rolling your foot on a tennis ball is similar to using a foam roller - hurts like heck but helps loosen things up.  Also doing a little stretching (toe pointing/flexing/crunching, foot circles) before getting out of bed might help to loosen things up before you put your full weight on your feet.  If all else fails, I'd suggest laying off the bike before laying off the running.  NSAIDs might be in order too, at least for a few days, to reduce any inflammation that might be going on.  Good luck!

What Mary said.

I'd take a look at all shoes and the cycling. Also think about if non-workout activity has picked up. To some degree, everything you do matters.

2014-07-25 10:01 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Denver, CO
2014-07-25 10:25 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by amd723 What do you mean they're not real? I thought Just thought Erin runs through some really gnarly trails and, apparently, is pretty tolerant of sand in her shoes
me too!!

Somehow the thought of Erin gnawing on a shoe is interesting.

Open mouth, insert foot?

2014-07-25 10:33 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

The Denver story is about a 12 inch alligator!!  12 inches is not a real alligator.

Here is what we have in florida!

2014-07-25 10:49 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Ok Garmin-literate Manatees... my watch started me way off from my actual starting location this morning so my first mile is crazy-stoopid-fast. How do I fix this in garmin connect? (or maybe I should just enjoy the PR right?)

2014-07-25 11:12 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Veteran
Cleveland, Tennessee

What Mary said.

Went and seen the Doc today. She thinks some of the tendons/ligaments connecting the metatarsals to the cuneiform bones might be inflammed. She is going to see if the Physical Therapist has a tool here to help improve it. I also have a high arch which they think may be what is causing some of the inflamation. Using running shoes on an exercise bike is not necessarily great but guess I will have to reduce a little, but maintain some of the fitness for when I get home. She did also do some acupuncture on my left foot with the mild plantar faciatus. It has helped, we will see how much it helps with the pain through out the night.

how many miles do your work boots have on them? I'm assuming that you wear them for long hours each day and are on your feet for most of the day. Can you get new ones issued? I know that might not be an easy task considering where you are. I was having weird feet pain and thought it was upping my running but it turns out it was actually my work shoes.

Could not even guess on the miles my boots have, been wearing them straight for 6 months, have about 2 months to go before stateside. I am going to try and get some inserts tro see if that helps. I am limited on which boots I can get due to being on flight status and limitations of suitable boots.

2014-07-25 11:17 AM

User image

Master

Originally posted by rrrunner On the dash board :D

hehehe!  I know cookies bake. Cake? hmmm...

2014-07-25 11:50 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Veteran
Dayton

me too!!

x2

2014-07-25 12:02 PM

User image

Seattle

What Mary said.

Went and seen the Doc today. She thinks some of the tendons/ligaments connecting the metatarsals to the cuneiform bones might be inflammed. She is going to see if the Physical Therapist has a tool here to help improve it. I also have a high arch which they think may be what is causing some of the inflamation. Using running shoes on an exercise bike is not necessarily great but guess I will have to reduce a little, but maintain some of the fitness for when I get home. She did also do some acupuncture on my left foot with the mild plantar faciatus. It has helped, we will see how much it helps with the pain through out the night.

Could not even guess on the miles my boots have, been wearing them straight for 6 months, have about 2 months to go before stateside. I am going to try and get some inserts tro see if that helps. I am limited on which boots I can get due to being on flight status and limitations of suitable boots.

Or maybe it's even time to replace them? I don't know how long boots are supposed to last but it sounds like they have quite a bit of wear on them.

I imagine much like running shoes, there are limits and once you go beyond little aches and pains start to manifest themselves. 

2014-07-25 12:11 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Seattle

I'm playing in a hockey tournament this weekend. It's been ohhhhh 18 months since I have skated last? 

2014-07-25 12:15 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Asalzwed

I'm playing in a hockey tournament this weekend. It's been ohhhhh 18 months since I have skated last? 

There is hockey in July?!?!?!?!!? Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!

2014-07-25 12:17 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Sooooo DS2 is racing without me this weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There is a local 4 race TT series. We raced #1 together last weekend but this weekend I have to be at church all morning. So he is racing without me. *pout*

2014-07-25 12:22 PM

User image

Master

What Mary said.

Glad you got them checked out and found some possible help. Stretching, rubbing, rolling=happy feet for me. Hopefully you can find the shoe/workout combo that works for you ASAP.

2014-07-25 12:28 PM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Master

Originally posted by ponderingfox

me too!!

x2

Ha! That's actually about what my Adrenalines looked like after our trip to Cali. I loaned my Cascadias to my friend for an afternoon at the beach. I should've traded her because I was the one hiking the bluffs with the kids. I dumped so much sand/dirt out of them

2014-07-25 12:29 PM

User image

Denver, CO

This might sound dumb, but do you have some harder-soled shoes you could use on the bike?  That combined with new boots, acupuncture, and PT tools would be a lot of changes at once but could make enough of a difference to let you keep biking.

2014-07-25 12:30 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by rrrunner

Sooooo DS2 is racing without me this weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There is a local 4 race TT series. We raced #1 together last weekend but this weekend I have to be at church all morning. So he is racing without me. *pout*

How rude!!

2014-07-25 12:31 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by Asalzwed

It's like running, right? only more slippery...and with blades.

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : December 17, 2007
author : LukeTX04
I learned in this race that in order to finish the swim, you have to know where you are going. And in order to know where you are going, you have to learn to sight.
date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.