BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2014-07-25 5:30 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered)

Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by QueenZipp

Originally posted by SteveyD

Originally posted by laffinrock

2 words: chamois butter.

I'd do it but my "nothing new on race day" really only applies to nutrition...

What is chamois butter??? I would agree to no new things, but when its a sponsored kit that only arrived today having been on order for 2 months

Funny you ask this. My coach, who is also a pastor, was trying to delicately explain chamois butter to some of the newbs in our group. Too funny! Anyway, it is a cream that you shmear on the "sensitive areas" that come in contact with the saddle to avoid rubbing.

ETA: I hit submit too slowly. I'm glad I'm almost done with my time as a manager!

This was quite a mental image, gave me a good giggle because I can see that being a difficult subject for a pastor in mixed company  

It makes for some interesting discussions. We are allowed to fart, burp and blow snot rockets when training as a group, but not curse

What, no cursing?  Couldn't do it 

2014-07-25 6:00 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by amd723

What is chamois butter??? I would agree to no new things, but when its a sponsored kit that only arrived today having been on order for 2 months

Funny you ask this. My coach, who is also a pastor, was trying to delicately explain chamois butter to some of the newbs in our group. Too funny! Anyway, it is a cream that you shmear on the "sensitive areas" that come in contact with the saddle to avoid rubbing.

ETA: I hit submit too slowly. I'm glad I'm almost done with my time as a manager!

This was quite a mental image, gave me a good giggle because I can see that being a difficult subject for a pastor in mixed company  

It makes for some interesting discussions. We are allowed to fart, burp and blow snot rockets when training as a group, but not curse

I'd be out too.  I'm a terrible potty mouth, especially when struggling up a hill.

2014-07-25 6:08 PM

User image

Master

Not a good reason to learn a foreign language...or three?

2014-07-25 7:12 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Not a good reason to learn a foreign language...or three?

It would be the blasphemy that would be my downfall.
2014-07-25 7:14 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Chamois butt'r is a lot easier to explain than DzNuts!!
(personally I like the DzNuts Bliss better) HEH

WHAT A TEAM this weekend!! Great races to you all!!

You DL'ers rest by the pool with a drink in one hand and your phone IM stalking app in the other! IT'S GO TIME!!
2014-07-25 7:46 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Veteran
Cleveland, Tennessee

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!

A listing of Manatee Races, Rides and Runs and other events
====

July 26-27
Kate - Blood, Sweat, and Beers 10 Mile Trail Race on Sunday
Kirsten - Ironman Canada on Sunday
Stevey - London to Cambridge - 60 miles bike ride on Sunday

Disabled List:
Ann-Marie - hip
Chris - hamstring (no more softball!)
Tom - knee

Follow Kirsten info:
 Tracker: http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/coverage/athlete-tracker.aspx?race=canada&y=2014#axzz38LLDNT1q
 iOS App:  IMTrackr

Go Racing Manatee!!!!

2014-07-25 8:14 PM
in reply to: jbwills

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by jbwills

Originally posted by StaceyK

how many miles do your work boots have on them? I'm assuming that you wear them for long hours each day and are on your feet for most of the day. Can you get new ones issued? I know that might not be an easy task considering where you are. I was having weird feet pain and thought it was upping my running but it turns out it was actually my work shoes.

Could not even guess on the miles my boots have, been wearing them straight for 6 months, have about 2 months to go before stateside. I am going to try and get some inserts tro see if that helps. I am limited on which boots I can get due to being on flight status and limitations of suitable boots.

I thought there might be some logistical problems involved in getting new ones especially since you are due to come home soon. They didn't get damaged somehow yesterday did they
2014-07-25 8:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!

A listing of Manatee Races, Rides and Runs and other events
====

July 26-27
Kate - Blood, Sweat, and Beers 10 Mile Trail Race on Sunday
Kirsten - Ironman Canada on Sunday
Stevey - London to Cambridge - 60 miles bike ride on Sunday

Disabled List:
Ann-Marie - hip
Chris - hamstring (no more softball!)
Tom - knee

Follow Kirsten info:
 Tracker: http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/coverage/athlete-tracker.aspx?race=canada&y=2014#axzz38LLDNT1q

Go racing Manatees Go!!!

Another wet and bleak day here, but not too cold thankfully. Hanging out for the CG triathlon relay that is on today the concept intrigues me. Might ride on my trainer while I watch it.
2014-07-25 8:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

yep I would be screwed...I mean stuffed...too
2014-07-26 7:29 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by jbwills

how many miles do your work boots have on them? I'm assuming that you wear them for long hours each day and are on your feet for most of the day. Can you get new ones issued? I know that might not be an easy task considering where you are. I was having weird feet pain and thought it was upping my running but it turns out it was actually my work shoes.

Could not even guess on the miles my boots have, been wearing them straight for 6 months, have about 2 months to go before stateside. I am going to try and get some inserts tro see if that helps. I am limited on which boots I can get due to being on flight status and limitations of suitable boots.

I thought there might be some logistical problems involved in getting new ones especially since you are due to come home soon. They didn't get damaged somehow yesterday did they

Haha! 

2014-07-26 12:36 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Last night, I fell off my feet during my run and ended up with road rash and some nasty bruises.  Then on my ride this morning, I came across a car with a bike under it.  It was in the clearly marked bike lane, there was no driveway, alley or street.  If I'd not made such a production of getting out of the house this morning (took nearly as long to get out the door as it did to do my ride!!) and had gone the opposite direction of my route, that could easily have been me.  I cried the rest of the way home.  I feel like the universe is testing how badly I want to do this tri thing.  My race is in 3 weeks and I'm starting to feel really shaky mentally.  How do you all cope with stuff like this?

2014-07-26 3:38 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Orlando

Last night, I fell off my feet during my run and ended up with road rash and some nasty bruises.  Then on my ride this morning, I came across a car with a bike under it.  It was in the clearly marked bike lane, there was no driveway, alley or street.  If I'd not made such a production of getting out of the house this morning (took nearly as long to get out the door as it did to do my ride!!) and had gone the opposite direction of my route, that could easily have been me.  I cried the rest of the way home.  I feel like the universe is testing how badly I want to do this tri thing.  My race is in 3 weeks and I'm starting to feel really shaky mentally.  How do you all cope with stuff like this?

Mary, I'm sorry you ( and the person who was on that bike!) are having such a hard time. I have had my share of self-inflicted injuries to include broken ribs from a fall while running! And a concussion from a little bike incident. I've also tripped over non-existing obstacles more times than I care to admit . I won't bore you with my roller blading and white water kayaking injuries . As I write this I realize that I am apparently a klutz!!! Anyway, they can be very trying, but I much rather be out doing stuff and possibly getting hurt than the opposite, so I don't even really think about it, I just do it. That's what works for me. Of course, I try to take the proper precautions and don't purposefully do dangerous or stupid things.

I wish I had some magic words that could take away your doubts and insecurities, but I don't. I think we all have to find our own way. I know that there are many people who do not like riding outside and do all their training rides on a trainer or spin bike and only get outside for races. Maybe that is something that could work for you. Another option may be to look for group rides. You may feel more comfortable riding like that- strength in numbers!

2014-07-26 4:17 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Mary, I'm sorry you ( and the person who was on that bike!) are having such a hard time. I have had my share of self-inflicted injuries to include broken ribs from a fall while running! And a concussion from a little bike incident. I've also tripped over non-existing obstacles more times than I care to admit . I won't bore you with my roller blading and white water kayaking injuries . As I write this I realize that I am apparently a klutz!!! Anyway, they can be very trying, but I much rather be out doing stuff and possibly getting hurt than the opposite, so I don't even really think about it, I just do it. That's what works for me. Of course, I try to take the proper precautions and don't purposefully do dangerous or stupid things.

I wish I had some magic words that could take away your doubts and insecurities, but I don't. I think we all have to find our own way. I know that there are many people who do not like riding outside and do all their training rides on a trainer or spin bike and only get outside for races. Maybe that is something that could work for you. Another option may be to look for group rides. You may feel more comfortable riding like that- strength in numbers!

<p

Thanks, Hands.  I'm kind of feeling like an emotional yo-yo lately.  Sometimes I'm scared and anxious, other times I feel strong and confident.  When DH and I were out running errands after I posted the above, I was feeling much better and found myself making plans for more races and joining a running/training group at the LRS.  I think part of what's going on is that I'm still not feeling confident about my body's resilience so the idea of getting really hurt scares me to death.  Another part is that I'm only 3 weeks away from doing something that I've been dreaming about for 8 years so the emotional stakes seem really high.  There's a part of me that just wants to get this first race over with so I can get past the first-race jitters and get on with things!!  Guess I'm just a neurotic weirdo.    Anyway, thanks for responding.

2014-07-26 4:26 PM

User image

Master

I had a swim "coaching" session with J this morning. He's going to be gone all next week, and I really wanted to get some observation and pointers before he left.

Only did 1300, but the difference from beginning to end was marked. I used a kickboard and pull buoy (solo and together) for several drills, and J watched from sides or met me mid-length to make adjustments. All in all, pretty proud of my first attempt at using the tools and making changes.

2014-07-26 5:00 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master

Sorry about your owies   Sounds like a good weekend for some TLC.

"Stuff like this" is everywhere.

-At the crash where J helped out on our trip, if we had been a couple of minutes sooner up the mountain, it could have been us being cut out of our car...but we still get on the road for adventuring.

-Every time I hear of a kidnapping/child disappearance in our area, I think about gluing my kids to me...but that would be its own form of child endangerment And we continue to go to parks, stores, pools.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with caution and good sense and being aware, but fear and anxiety are paralyzing. We cannot control the universe, so LIVE the life you want for yourself, otherwise 8 years can turn into never.

Edited by 4agoodlife 2014-07-26 5:12 PM
2014-07-27 2:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
I hope everyone is getting a good night's sleep before their races

I'M SO EXCITED!!!

The 2014/2015 race calendar is out which officially means SUMMER IS COMING

So I am looking at the schedule and this is what I have planned but I need your help to work out training.

5 weeks from today - 12k city2surf (way under done for this so it will be run/walk. I could run the 4k but feels a bit like wimping out. My longest race to date is 4k and my longest run was a couple of weeks ago @7k)
5 weeks later - duathlon want to step up to 5k/20k/2.5k
5 weeks later - triathlon 600/18/6
5 weeks later - triathlon 750/20/5
7 weeks later - triathlon Oly this will be my A

So I am basically starting almost at scratch because I have been so lazy. I am ok at swimming, suck a bit on the bike and really suck at running.

How would you structure training? Would you spend the next 5 weeks just running then pick up the bike after the 12k and then pick up the swimming after the duathlon? If I did this it would give me:
27 weeks running
22 weeks bike
17 weeks swimming

What do you think. Consistency is a very big problem for me as my logs show.

Edited by StaceyK 2014-07-27 2:47 AM

2014-07-27 4:28 AM

User image

Melon Presser

GO KATIEFROG!!!

GO STEEEEPHEEEEE!!!

Disabled List:
Tisk tisk ... let's get this stuff taken care of! (I'm on it too ... unfortunately)

GO CHAERSTAINNH!!!

We be stalkin'! I be prayin'! You be nervously up and on the move to get to the start line right about no, methinks.

We had the Paragames in Bali this weekend--Kingsley and I are part of the organizers (it's put on by the Bali Sports Foundation). Really amazing, and mostly young people. Unfortunately it was a much reduced field size ... we're in a tiff with the national paralympics committee because (like every other national government sports organization here, they are horrendously corrupt). Last year we had a 3-day Paragames with hundreds of events for thousands of athletes, and we did it (including lodging and transporting the athletes who all have special needs, in a country where there's nearly nowhere that has decent facilities for them, and staff and coaches) for $25,000.

The national paralympics committee wanted to hold the Paragames themselves this year, but limit the events only to ones that are in the Olympics, and only for athletes who might actually be contenders (which would exclude most of the youth participants). For a much smaller event (and not including room & board) they asked the gov't for $60,000 AND for the Bali Sports Foundation to give them our sponsors and working cash.

We said no. They said well then any athlete who participates in our now-unofficial Paragames can't be part of any national team or represent Indonesia officially in events, and none of their performances will be officially recorded or count as records should any be set.

You see how I could go on and on about this, but my computer will blow up. We had a fantastic Games anyway and so much passion as well as promise in the young athletes. We will continue to work around the "official" bodies and we WILL keep training parathletes and getting them into international competition.

2014-07-27 10:30 AM
in reply to: #4996915

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Kirsten is out of the swim!!!! Ride Kirsten ride!!!
2014-07-27 11:33 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by rrrunner Kirsten is out of the swim!!!! Ride Kirsten ride!!!

looks like she had a good swim!

ETA:  There is a thread in TT about the weather being miserable for the race and that they stopped the swim early - not by much, but still.  Hope it clears for the racers!

Edited by amd723 2014-07-27 11:37 AM
2014-07-27 11:43 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by rrrunner Kirsten is out of the swim!!!! Ride Kirsten ride!!!

ETA:  There is a thread in TT about the weather being miserable for the race and that they stopped the swim early - not by much, but still.  Hope it clears for the racers!

Fortunately for Kirsten, it's Lake Placid, not Canada, with the inclement weather--unfortunately for them, though.

YAY KIRSTEN!!!

2014-07-27 11:48 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Fortunately for Kirsten, it's Lake Placid, not Canada, with the inclement weather--unfortunately for them, though.

YAY KIRSTEN!!!

Ha, Ha!  My reading comprehension skills need some work!  Glad to hear that though!!

2014-07-27 12:18 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
21 miles on the bike!!!!
2014-07-27 1:27 PM

User image

Master
I'm going to have to check for her on the computer because not working right on my phone :-/ eta: yay! Got her!

Edited by 4agoodlife 2014-07-27 1:32 PM
2014-07-27 2:22 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
58 miles on the bike. She's flying!
2014-07-27 3:43 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by rrrunner 58 miles on the bike. She's flying!

Go Kirsten!  Go!

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : December 17, 2007
author : LukeTX04
I learned in this race that in order to finish the swim, you have to know where you are going. And in order to know where you are going, you have to learn to sight.
date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.