General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Strange question, but I need to know Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-05-16 2:22 PM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Subject: RE: Strange question, but I need to know
Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly

Originally posted by Left Brain

I guess this is the place to tell this, and much as it pains me to recall. 

In the days between my last two bouts with triathlon, I duck hunted from Canada to Mexico, and all states within the Mississippi flyway.  It was something I always wanted to do and I was nearing the end of a period of time when I trained retreivers and had a really good dog to take along on my journeys. 

LIke many have posted here, it's common for me to take care of my daily constitutional about 20 minutes after I've awoke for the day.  I put some coffee on, take care of business, and I'm on my way, no matter where I am or what's going on.

And so it was I found myself standing next to a 2000 acre marsh wondering why this particular morning had gone differently. I thought maybe I ate something the night before that didn't need to be expelled.  Maybe the motel coffee from the lilttle mom and pop dive we stayed in wasn't really coffee.  It didn't matter. I didn't have to go and my buddies were waiting for me to make up my mind on making the 1/2 mile wade-in to our hunting spot with them or standing on the bank waiting for nature to call.  I guessed I didn't have to go, so into the water we went.

This particular day we were hunting a waist deep marsh that is flooded artificially.  It had some row crops, a few short willows, and a few dead trees laying over, here and there, that had not been cleared when the re-development and wetalnds reclamation project had taken place.  I wore chest waders, and the water came to just above my crotch.  We waded out for about 30 minutes, careful with each step, like you have to be when you can't see your feet or what is under the water.  Once at the spot where we intended to hunt, we threw some decoys out, and leaned up against some small willow scrub bushes.  We had about 45 minutes until the sun would start to rise, so we opened our thermoses and enjoyed a cup of coffee.  It was shortly after when I felt the first rumblings.

I can say now, looking back, I wasted no time heading for dry land.  I have often thought that maybe I didn't heed the initial warning signs, that somehow the outcome of this story would have been different if I had gotten a quicker start.  I don't think so.

There is no good way to relieve yourself when water will come to the crack of your arse if you can even possibly get your waders down that far.  Nevermind the freezing water that will pour into your waders and end your day.  I brifefly considered climbing into one of the willow scrubs to gtet some clearance, but I was easily 220 lbs. then, with another 30 or so lbs. of clothing so there was no way the one inch limbs would hold me.  I would have to wade back to dry land. 

I guess I had made it about 150 yards when the first wave of doubt hit me.  I REALLY have to go and there is no way I can make it.  I had already been reduced to very small shuffling steps and had to stop every 20 yards or so to squeeze........and pray.  I was sweating, and beginning to resign myselagain......great.  Now I can hear them clearly, and for the second time in the last 15 minutes I just resign my self to my fate.  I stand up and wait for the light.  It doesn't dissapoint me, and really, neither did the reactions of the hunters trying to find my tree.

GODDDDAM"!!!" 

The first guy yelled that. 

"HOLY CHIT!!!"...another one.

Thanks.

The funny thing was that they kept the light on me.  I guess shock does that. It causes you to freeze. 

"What are you doing?", a voice called.  "I chit in my pants", I answered.  "Do you need any help?", the other voice said.  I started laughing, "whatcha got in mind?"  Silence.

I said I'd be done in a minute but really didn't need the light.  They laughed and turned it off.  I todl them I wasn't hunting by the tree and they were welcome to it.  They declined the offer.  And then they just waded off. 

I put myself back together and went back to my buddies.  They wanted to know what the yelling was about.  I told the story and we were so broke up laughing that we missed most of the good first light duck flight.  Life is good. 

Bookmarked.

Oh my gawd that's hilarious.

2014-05-16 2:24 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Originally posted by Left Brain

I guess this is the place to tell this, and much as it pains me to recall. 

In the days between my last two bouts with triathlon, I duck hunted from Canada to Mexico, and all states within the Mississippi flyway.  It was something I always wanted to do and I was nearing the end of a period of time when I trained retreivers and had a really good dog to take along on my journeys. 

LIke many have posted here, it's common for me to take care of my daily constitutional about 20 minutes after I've awoke for the day.  I put some coffee on, take care of business, and I'm on my way, no matter where I am or what's going on.

And so it was I found myself standing next to a 2000 acre marsh wondering why this particular morning had gone differently. I thought maybe I ate something the night before that didn't need to be expelled.  Maybe the motel coffee from the lilttle mom and pop dive we stayed in wasn't really coffee.  It didn't matter. I didn't have to go and my buddies were waiting for me to make up my mind on making the 1/2 mile wade-in to our hunting spot with them or standing on the bank waiting for nature to call.  I guessed I didn't have to go, so into the water we went.

This particular day we were hunting a waist deep marsh that is flooded artificially.  It had some row crops, a few short willows, and a few dead trees laying over, here and there, that had not been cleared when the re-development and wetalnds reclamation project had taken place.  I wore chest waders, and the water came to just above my crotch.  We waded out for about 30 minutes, careful with each step, like you have to be when you can't see your feet or what is under the water.  Once at the spot where we intended to hunt, we threw some decoys out, and leaned up against some small willow scrub bushes.  We had about 45 minutes until the sun would start to rise, so we opened our thermoses and enjoyed a cup of coffee.  It was shortly after when I felt the first rumblings.

I can say now, looking back, I wasted no time heading for dry land.  I have often thought that maybe I didn't heed the initial warning signs, that somehow the outcome of this story would have been different if I had gotten a quicker start.  I don't think so.

There is no good way to relieve yourself when water will come to the crack of your arse if you can even possibly get your waders down that far.  Nevermind the freezing water that will pour into your waders and end your day.  I brifefly considered climbing into one of the willow scrubs to gtet some clearance, but I was easily 220 lbs. then, with another 30 or so lbs. of clothing so there was no way the one inch limbs would hold me.  I would have to wade back to dry land. 

I guess I had made it about 150 yards when the first wave of doubt hit me.  I REALLY have to go and there is no way I can make it.  I had already been reduced to very small shuffling steps and had to stop every 20 yards or so to squeeze........and pray.  I was sweating, and beginning to resign myself to the fact that this would end poorly, when I remembered a large tree that I had seen in the water about 50 feet offr of the path we walked.  I thought I could make it there and at least have a chance to get out of the water.  I shuffled, stopped, squeezed, prayed, and sweated for another 10 minutes or so when I finally spied the tree.

I don't think I was more than 50 feet away from salvation when it ended.  I don't know enough about the digestive system to be able to write about the forces that come into play when you can finally no longer hold it, but I lived it.  Really, it was a relief when it was over.  I stood there and crapped my pants.  I even kind of sat back a bit and let the water prop me up some.  What else can you do?  If I would have had a cigar I'd have lit it and enjoyed the moment even more.  It felt good.

When I finished I headed for the tree.  I climbed up onto it at a point where there were some branches to hold on to, and began to shed my clothing.  I had decided I would strip down naked, use a t-shirt and the available water to clean myself up, and head back to the hunt.  It was a mess, but there I stood, naked in the middle of that marsh cleaning myself off.  My waders, pants, and other items I hung in the tree branches near me.  I was bent over rinsing out my t-shirt when I heard the voices.

I'm not going to try to describe the feelings that wash over you, so to speak, as you stand naked in a marsh in the middle of January and realize people are coming toward you.  But, it should suffice to say they aren't even close to what you feel when you see the first ray of a hand held spotlilght track toward you. I have nowhere to go.  I'm not done cleaning myself up.  I stand motionless to try to hear what the voices are saying but that ends when one fo them says, "that tree has got to be right around here".  Here comes the light again......great.  Now I can hear them clearly, and for the second time in the last 15 minutes I just resign my self to my fate.  I stand up and wait for the light.  It doesn't dissapoint me, and really, neither did the reactions of the hunters trying to find my tree.

GODDDDAM"!!!" 

The first guy yelled that. 

"HOLY CHIT!!!"...another one.

Thanks.

The funny thing was that they kept the light on me.  I guess shock does that. It causes you to freeze. 

"What are you doing?", a voice called.  "I chit in my pants", I answered.  "Do you need any help?", the other voice said.  I started laughing, "whatcha got in mind?"  Silence.

I said I'd be done in a minute but really didn't need the light.  They laughed and turned it off.  I todl them I wasn't hunting by the tree and they were welcome to it.  They declined the offer.  And then they just waded off. 

I put myself back together and went back to my buddies.  They wanted to know what the yelling was about.  I told the story and we were so broke up laughing that we missed most of the good first light duck flight.  Life is good. 

Awesome.  And what is it about hunting where this kind of thing happens?

My wife's god-son went out bow hunting with me when he was about 14.  We woke up at 4ish to make it to the site(45 minutes away) by 5ish to actually be sitting down by 5:30.  I told him at the house to make certain he went, then when we got there, there is an outhouse at the parking spot and told him again to go.  We were sitting there and at about 7:30 he has a look of absolute dread on his face.  He has to go....again... and he isn't certain he can make it.  So off he goes.  15 minutes later he is back and I can just tell he didn't make it.  And then I can SMELL that he didn't make it.  That was NOT a fun ride back home.   We never told his family.  Only people that know are he and I and my wife.  We never speak about it, but if he ever gets out of line, I do pull him to the side and whisper "don't make me make you crap your pants again".   

2014-05-17 5:26 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Regular
Aalborg, Denmark
I don't drink cofffee. Is there any way to ensure that business is taken care of before a race? They always start early and it'd ruin my day if I got code brown in the middle of it all.

Is there some way I can adjust my diet or should I just get up super early?
2014-05-17 6:42 AM
in reply to: shepherdsflock

User image

I start my runs in town near some sports fields so I have a couple of porta potties on the way. You do need to pack your own TP since its often missing. The other option if you are starting from your house is to do a few laps around the block until you have to go, then continue on.
2014-05-17 9:53 AM
in reply to: bigevilgrape

New user
Key West
I'm with the person who gets up early enough to have coffee and let it do its magic before I head out for my morning run. Usually only takes about 20 minutes, which gives me time to take care of the cats, check my mail and get dressed. I have never had an uncontrollable urge to go on the run, but I feel a lot better on my run, if the "waste" is out of me. As for a race, even if you don't drink coffee, nerves will usually make you need to go before hand. That is why all those porta potties are so busy.

If it makes you feel better, the great Grete Waitz (RIP) while running the NYC Marathon had an uncontrollable urge to poop and did on national television. I remember it well. I think Uta Pippig did too. So, you are in great company.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Strange question, but I need to know Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Need help with a strange twinge.

Started by Karibu
Views: 709 Posts: 5

2014-05-16 2:41 PM dprocket

Strange swimming question Pages: 1 2

Started by slornow
Views: 1866 Posts: 27

2010-09-01 8:26 AM ABuckAMile

Strange Swim breathing question

Started by trainee
Views: 515 Posts: 2

2009-08-01 3:21 PM coltank17

Strange question about cycling and umm...male problems Pages: 1 2

Started by katiefrog15
Views: 2115 Posts: 41

2006-06-21 8:28 AM run4yrlif

Strange question Pages: 1 2

Started by lyte
Views: 2100 Posts: 37

2006-01-30 4:51 PM lyte
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 0
Everything you want to know (and then some).