General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cross bike on a road course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-05-16 4:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Subject: Cross bike on a road course
I have a very nice Shiv and that is my only bike. I've been looking at a 2nd bike for things like tooling around with the family, riding on trails, pulling my kids in a trailer, etc. I'm thinking about a cross bike as something that has a lot of versatility for stuff like this, but can also be used for a little more serious ride too.

One of my dream races is Escape from Alcatraz. In reading a recent article, I read that they specifically do NOT recommend a tri bike, and recommend a roadie. Can a cross bike (with smooth tires, of course) work on something like this? Specifically, I'm looking at something like a Specialized Crux.

2014-05-16 5:47 PM
in reply to: dprocket

User image

Subject: RE: Cross bike on a road course
I have a heavy steel cross bike that would suck for racing but I think a lighter one would be fine for one race. I love my cross bike for commuting, sloppy weather and dirt roads.
2014-05-16 8:34 PM

User image

New user

Saskatchewan
While I can't speak to how it will work on the Alcatraz course, a guy I ride with, who is a cyclist, has done just that with his Crux. He swaps out wheels for cx/gravel and for road riding - and it hasn't slowed him down any.

And as for getting a cross bike, for me it was one of the best bike-related purchases I've made. It's my favourite bike to ride. It works as a commuter, I do cx in the fall, and I'm crushing gravel with it for the majority of my long rides (other than the few obligatory spins on the tri bike to keep my aero muscles more or less happy).
2014-05-16 8:42 PM
in reply to: Dirt Hucker

User image

Veteran
Central VA
bought a cross bike off of CL a few years ago. I've got two wheel sets and three set of tires depending on where I'm riding. Probably use my road set for 80% of my riding.
2014-05-20 7:59 PM

From what I have read of that course, I think you will be fine. I have a Specialized Tricross comp, the higher end of the lower end cross bikes. It's a 2009, I think, and I believe they had yet to release the Crux. It has Ultegra components. It is an awesome all around bike. I did my first tri on it (an Oly, swapped 25mm tires for it), I did a cross race for the first time last fall (swapped back to knobbies), and I ride it all over town and on long rides as well. I have a Bianchi road bike and the cross bike isn't as fast or responsive, but it is such a great bike and bulletproof. Mine has carbon chainstays in addition to the fork, and an aluminum frame. It's comparatively very light.
2014-05-20 9:40 PM
in reply to: #4997361

User image

New user
Sylvania
I will add to the CX love. I have a Cannondale Caadx and use it for everything from towing my son in a Chariot to road cycling with extra set of wheels and tires. Best cycling investment I have made. I love the versatility.

2014-05-20 9:59 PM
in reply to: glayher

User image

Denver, Colorado
I love my cross bike. I have an 09' Specialized Singlecross. I wanted something for quick rides, errands, relaxed spins with the gf, and something I could beat up and not feel bad about leaving some dirt on it.

I wish I had disks but I'd say go for the cross bike, I went single speed for the simplicity and low maintenance, it's the perfect bike for what I wanted and if can still hit the less technical off road trails!

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (235KB - 3 downloads)
image.jpg (1870KB - 3 downloads)
2014-05-21 8:49 AM
in reply to: Brian W

Other than a track bike, my only bike is a Ti cross bike. I got it for long distance rides since it's tough and can take racks/fenders if needed. I've used it for 40-mile club rides up to 1000K rides and it's been a champ.

When I got into Tri's back in Sept of '12, I just used it (it's got clip-on UCI style aerobars) for my races. While I'd like a TT/Tri bike, I've just never gotten around to getting one. I've been in one 140.6 and six Olys and have been FOP for the bike legs and actually placed 2nd and 3rd in two of the Olys.

I might've done better w/ a TT bike, but it is what it is. I must admit a sort of childish pleasure in passing guys on $5K bikes with disc wheels, however.

Get the cross bike. They really can be made to do just about anything. Ride a lot and work on the engine.
2014-05-21 9:18 AM
in reply to: danimal123

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
You all have me convinced! Now, I just need to convince my wife!! She doesn't understand the bike formula N+1.
2014-05-21 7:20 PM

User image

Count me in as another person with a cross bike as my only bike. I'm not into cycling enough to have more than one bike, so this one is great for casual riding, commuting, and triathlons. I don't care if I lose a few km/hr of speed. I would even do up to a half-IM on this if I get that far (next distance goal is an olympic). (And I passed a guy on a fancy Cervelo in my last tri! )
2014-05-21 10:58 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

I have enjoyed this thread a lot. I haven't purchased a bike and have only been borrowing for the tri's I've done. Had been wondering if a CX would be best up front with a latter investment in a TT if I move up in distance or get competitive.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cross bike on a road course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Road or Tri bike...check out the course

Started by fisherman76
Views: 799 Posts: 9

2013-02-08 11:50 AM fisherman76

Aero road bikes vs non aero road bikes

Started by gzh6464
Views: 11935 Posts: 13

2013-05-16 10:57 PM alexlhh

Open road bike course Pages: 1 2

Started by rmarsh01
Views: 1820 Posts: 30

2012-04-04 10:47 PM rmarsh01

Road Bike Rims vs Cross Rims

Started by kproudfoot
Views: 1073 Posts: 6

2011-02-03 5:08 PM kproudfoot

road bike or tri bike for hilly course?

Started by dogteacher
Views: 3652 Posts: 14

2010-09-10 2:02 PM ratherbeswimming
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 26, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
If you are a person who feels safer on the trails rather than the road, but you still want to race, this article will help you better train.

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : April 20, 2009
I'm considering a road frame buildup, what considerations should I take into account when swapping all of my components from my current setup to a new frame?

date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : December 5, 2007
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
What makes a triathlon bike a triathlon bike? Learn about angles, seating, position, aerobars, and the importance of a proper bike fit.

date : March 6, 2007
author : sportfactory
Bike upgrades to gain speed: better wheelsets, a tri-bike, road bike with aerobars, even getting rid of those love handles before getting that lighter bike.
date : July 30, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 8
The triathlon bike vs. road bike quandary. Before you even ask the road bike vs. tri bike question, you should have a couple sprint triathlons or duathlons under your belt.

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
At first triathlon training may seem scary and that is why I will try to summarize a few tips for whoever wants to try and get their feet wet with triathlon. I can assure you that you will be hooked.