BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 30

2014-07-19 10:50 AM
in reply to: BF JEFF

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN)
Welcome Jeff! Barefoot? You're crazy dude. Good luck on your OLY tomorrow.

Isabella, best of luck to you on your OLY too! And Mike, hope the whole family has fun on the destination tri for your daughter. She will slay it - such a cute little soon-to-be-pro.

Dennis, that is a truly impressive time difference. You are getting better in everything! Great job.

Drtoll, wow!!!!!!!!! You have got to be so excited.....and so nervous.... now that you have your first HIM registration. Can't wait to watch your journey.

Two weeks ago, I decided to sign up for a HM vs a mary in Nov because of job searching. But hubby (who will be doing his first mary at that race) told me I need to suck it up and do the full. He's right. And then this week, I realized that I had to start my plan NOW. Not really where I want to be but I'm at a better place that I have been some time pre-mary. Today I planned for 10 miles but because of the heat and humidity, I bailed a little early but was still pleased with the 8.8 miles that I did get. It was also good because I found a place (someone's yard with a faucette right at the road) that I could refill my water bottle; thought it was at the house of son's friend but found out afterwards that it's not. Whoops. Oh well, I still refilled there.

2014-07-19 11:38 AM
in reply to: Pink Socks

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Pam - I'm sure you will be happy you switched when you finish the mary. You are a runner, I'm assuming this isn't your first mary?

Welcome Jeff , let us know how the tri went.

You too Isabella.
2014-07-19 10:37 PM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

User image

SOUTH WINDSOR, Connecticut

Jeff - yes, these are weekly sprints, with trail run / mountain bike.  Lot of fun...  I think there are 3 or 4 left.  Every Tuesday - $25 each week.  There are discounts for 5 session / full season.  I just bought the 5 session for $100.  3 down 2 to go.

Pink - Good luck with the race!

All those at Litchfield / others, have fun and race hard!

-Dennis

2014-07-20 12:15 PM
in reply to: #5027264

User image

hi all,

Thanks for good words my journey started some time ago but booking HIM is definitely big step to the final destination

this week was really great for training - all sessions happend with all targets achieved.

buying my first wetsuit tmrw, orca s5. racing sprint tri on sunday, hope will beat my PR.

quick question regarding training. running is my worst leg, and cycling best (I think). my long cycle is 1hour and 15mins, when I do it with my aerobic heart rate its no bother at all, I feel fresh after long cycle.
what should I do:
1. just stick to the training plan? (im doing sprint-to-oly in 12weeks from BT)
2. increase cycling times by 20-30% and see?
3. add some interval training on the bike and stick to current cycling times?
4. increase running training to 4 sessions? im still in the bmi obese category, so I dont want to get any injury from overtraining this discipline.
any ideas?
2014-07-20 6:07 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Hello All,

drtroll - Awesome job hitting the targets. I have no advice for your training..  still very new to this. I am sure someone with much more experience will chime in.

Did another long bike ride today. 61 miles and over 3400 feet of climbing. Still keeping a 12 mph average..  I had to walk the top of one hill, looking back it was like 14% incline?  WTH?

Tonight - dinner with the grand kids. They are staying over for the week ...  FUN TIMES ahead!

Tomorrow easy walk/jog and easy swim.

Edited by Dennis B 2014-07-20 6:08 PM

(NewHartford-BarkHamstead.PNG)

Attachments
----------------
NewHartford-BarkHamstead.PNG (467KB - 4 downloads)
2014-07-21 7:36 AM
in reply to: Dennis B

Blairstown, NJ
Steve - Heal up and enjoy your summer. It will be over before you know it and IMLT will be knocking.

Pam - Sound like you have a nice supportive husband

Dennis - You are amazing knocking out all those races. keep it up!

drtroll - Barcelona sound very nice! There is plenty of time to train. As you ask about training it is a very hard thing to answer simply as we do not know your goals for finishing. The best answer for training though is to not over due weekly increase and keep it to 10% per week with periodic recovery week every 3rd or 4th week. This varies based on your ability and age. As far as what to work on first you can build confindence in your strength, or work your weekness. Entirely up to you. Check out the free training plans here on BT as they give you very nice guideline of what to do.

Jeff - Alway great to have new gear.Good luck on the race.

Mike D - Congrats! Your daughter must really have the bug a three Tri's is quite a milestone. How does she feel about aging up? I reminded my daughter she ages up for next swim season. She was none too happy.

My trainnig has been a bit iffy with T - 6 weeks to Shoreman 1/2 Tri. Some peices are coming together though as I completed a very nice long bike Saturday of 43.5miles . All that worry is beginning to be replace with confindence. The swim has not been as easy as expected but there is plenty of confidence to finish well. The run is still the achilles heal. I did knock out 7.5 Sunday but I can still hear Steve saying how weak my base is. A number of week back I became ok with this idea of completing the race even if I had to run/walk. So making final prep to get a couple 60+ mile bike rides, build the run base up, and maintain the swim fitness. Next hurdle might be finding a pool as my normal place is probably closing down for August. Soo excited about the season though. Next race is a sprint Tri this Saturday and I still debate how to approach it. Do I try to crush it? Or use it as a prep race? I am leaning toward the prep race as completing the 1/2 is the real goal for this year. Having run this sprint before, it is really tempting to look for some kind of PR.

2014-07-21 12:16 PM
in reply to: Tri-solar

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Hey there...not much time to comment, but I DO need to know how Isabella did this weekend. So do tell Isabella

Joe, just my two cents here. Seems like a good bet to go relatively hard on the sprint so long as you don't have any concern that you are particularly injury prone right now (pains you've ben trying to ignore, etc.). I say that because it sounds like you really want to, and sprint recovery is usually quick, so not a huge dent in the HIM training.
2014-07-21 12:27 PM
in reply to: squirt

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Hey, all. My daughter did great at her tri. She is there to have fun, and she certainly did. By 'aging up' (to the 11-15 year old bracket), the course doubles in length for her to 200 yd swim/6 mi bike/1 mile run. The 6-10 year olds do half that. She finished strong, always had a smie on her face when I saw her on the bike - even when she was obviously getting tired at about mile 5.5 .

We went out for a celebratory lunch & ice cream afterward, and she liked it quite a bit.

I've been a slug but will go for a run tonight.

My attempt to organize a neighborhood 5k group has largely fallen on deaf ears. 2 guys said no, 1 said maybe, the other 7 never replied. Oh, well. They can join me whenever they'd like I guess.

Hope everyone has had a great weekend.

2014-07-21 8:25 PM
in reply to: Mike_D

User image

Any word from Isabella?  Hope all went well...

Tonight, little 2 mile walk / jog - dinner - then 35 minutes in the pool doing drills. 

Why do the pool drills feel so smooth and "quick" yet the open water swims feel so rushed and inefficient?  Dunno here..  hope to make the connection tomorrow night?

Best,
-Dennis

(2 mile walk-jog.PNG)

Attachments
----------------
2 mile walk-jog.PNG (107KB - 4 downloads)
2014-07-21 11:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Hey all,

Have started to be consistent in training after months of focusing on low cal/low carb dieting. the runs feel great (yes I add carbs before and after workouts). thought I should do some "speed" work. Hit the road and ran fast for as long as I could before walking. Even thinner, just not built for speed, probably just knocked a min or so off my pace, maybe did 9mpm?) Within three such bursts I was fried. Couldn't shift to a jog, shins hurt.

Guessing I just am not at the point where I should be thinking about speed - just have to get the distances for a comfortable sprint. Not sorry that I spent so long on weightloss though. Went from working hard for 12 min. miles (I was really fat) to 10 min. miles where I am going twice the distances feeling great. Just envious of all you doing oly's, HIM and IM! You are all so inspiring.
Staying focused on each day's training - putting time in the pool.

Mitzi
2014-07-21 11:24 PM
in reply to: #4997711

User image

Mike_D - wow, any advice how to get my 6yo daughter interested a bit in sports? funny ideas? she cant really swim, no interest in bike and ok, she likes running a bit. but she is a type o a book mole - she has reading/writing skills of 10yo and wont go to bed without at least 1hour book reading. I just would like her to move around a bit more

Musclemomma - you definitely dont have to be jaleous about me - im still fat at my HIM talk is 10months away. Im doing OLY in september but only hoping to cross the finish line in one piece . yes, sticking/focusing on daily training/food sounds like a good idea. also staying injury free. the rest will come...sooner or later

Isabella - I think some monster RR is coming. hopefully not a dramatic one (although I wouldnt be surprised as dramatic races is a speciality in this group

2014-07-22 4:02 PM
in reply to: drtroll

User image

New user
Hello everyone! Just a quick check in!

Mike : it is hard to get people to move, but this was a great idea and good on you for trying. Too bad for them for not getting on board!

Mitzi: I am not a good runner but I can say for sure that consistency will bring speed eventually. Hang in there!!

Mike D : wow congrats to your daughter! Dad must be proud

Thank you to all who asked for news... and yes DrToll is right a big RR is in the making, I was just feeling a bit lazy the last couple of days...
All I will say right now is I finished my Oly with a smile and within my target time! It was really fun but really tough at the same time. I had a blast! RR to come soon!
2014-07-22 6:30 PM
in reply to: isabella969

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Yay Isabella! Can't wait for the RR.

Jeff, how did your oly go?

Mike, I really admire you for trying to get those men interested in a 5K. Ok, it may not have happened this time but you planted a seed. Don't be surprised if later, miraclously (sp? Have I ever told ya'll that I'm a lousy speller.) one of more of those men may get interested in racing. Their subcon may never even remember that you were the one that planted the seed. But trust me, you have made a difference.

Intervals for me this morn. I felt terrible beforehand and allowed myself to only do 4*800 if I could do no more. I ended up doing 6*800 tho which was better. Not the 7 I wanted to do but 6 is better than 4. Intervals 4 and 5 were pretty crappy but I think I managed to pull together for the last one.
2014-07-22 10:00 PM
in reply to: Pink Socks

User image

Hello all,

Real hot and humid tonight, didn't expect much. I did beat my 1:30 that I was after -Woo Hoo!!! Made up most of the time on the bike. I really thought my swim was better, will need to work on it.

One more to complete the 5 I signed up for, then on to the century ride in Maine [August 10th], then ???

Event 1 Times: Swim: 15:36 T1: 2:04 Bike: 40:44 T2: 1:11 Run: 51:04 Total: 1:50:42
Event 2 Times: Swim: 14:33 T1: 1:13 Bike: 34:10 T2: 1:05 Run: 44:40 Total: 1:35:38
Event 3 Times: Swim: 13:33 T1: 1:09 Bike: 33:29 T2: 1:09 Run: 42:16 Total: 1:31:39
Event 4 Times: Swim: 13:40 T1: 1:10 Bike: 31:16 T2: 0:59 Run: 42:01 Total: 1:29:08

After doing the makeup on Friday, the long bike on Sunday then tonight's event, I am spent. Tomorrow taking the day off from working out.

Mitzi - nice to see the runs working well.

Isabella - take your time, just glad you are OK. Not hearing was concerning.

Pink - way to go with the intervals!

All - keep up the good work!

-Dennis

2014-07-23 8:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Dennis - really impressive, have to repeat that course is hilly!

Pam - great you got yourself out there and by shooting for 8 repeats you had a great workout.

Isabella - congratulations, you rock!

Phil - I think I am beginning to see what you swimmers like about swimming. Esp. when I use fins - it feels great to shoot through the water (I'm guessing I'm still moving slowly) and focus on arm technique.

Mike - agree with Pam, people are probably thinking about the 5k, wondering if they can, if they should, who knows what will come of it.

Mitzi
2014-07-23 10:33 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Yes, Dennis, you have some great progress happening there! Congrats!

Isabella, glad things went well for you! Looking forward to hearing more about it.

Mike, the others are right, you never know what seeds you planted. This morning I chatted with a neighbor (and HS classmate of Kerry's) who I encouraged to give running a try a few yrs ago. She and her attorney run together now in the early mornings and she has done a number of races. Now they are inspiring me!

Zero to 10K week 6 going on for me...pretty hot and humid again, so taking it slow, but getting it done. Cycling going OK...longer ride with a buddy or two planned for this Saturday. Work has gone nuts and Dr. appts galore (for FIL and me)....so pool time is hard to come by, but doing what I can when I can.

2014-07-23 11:20 AM
in reply to: squirt

User image

Alexandria, Virginia
Steve, sure sounded like a nice relaxing vacation! My fiancee and I are saving up our vacation hours for the wedding (next May), so I only got a couple vacations scheduled: 5 days in Montana in August, and 4 days in October at the Dominican Republic (which is where we'll be getting married; we're checking out our resort/chapel, etc. in October).

Wojciech, trail running is a lot of fun! I don't go as often but it's a treat. There are a couple national parks around here. It's good for foot/ankle stability, easier on the knees, and the scenery is much nicer than the concrete jungle I live near. Also, a triathlon in Barcelona! So envious! One day I will sign up for something in a foreign country and make a vacation out of it. Not that one though, because that's my wedding weekend. Good luck! Running was my worst leg too, and used to have knee pains. Just listen to your body (and listen to others here on BT). Icing the knees after a workout helps too, and stretching is important, very important, as well as massaging with foam rollers (for your IT band and quads/hammies, for example) if needed.

Pam, haven't read Ultramarathon Man and I don't read as often. I usually spend my days catching up on TdF stages. Also, for those interested, ESPN had a great 30 for 30 exposee on LeMond vs Hinault. Good watch!

Jim, good luck with Oceanside 70.3 training! I usually take a break from masters swimming during the summer (because I just use my own outdoor community pool for training) but I find myself not pushing as much when I'm alone (probably because there aren't 3 other swimmers behind me forcing me to keep pace).

Mike, I think it's amazing that your kids are getting intro tris, along with Steve's. I do hope my kids get into such events. I wish I got into them when I was younger. It's great you took the initiative to start a run group in the neighborhood! I may try to do the same, hopefully with better results.

Jeff, welcome! Kudos on the barefoot running. I think 3k is as far as I go with my Vibrams (though they're not officially BF, they're as close as I'm gonna get!). It pays to look (and feel young) so milk it for all it's worth. Congrats on the sprint and good luck on the upcoming oly, and HIM if your schedule permits. Scheduling is tough for me too. My girl was just up in CT, in Norfolk, this past weekend at a lakehouse. She said she thought I'd love it up there. You doing that hartford mary barefoot too?

Mitzi, nice to hear that you're getting the hang of the water! Fin sets are definitely helpful! Also, if you have access to them (and if your shoulders, delts are strong enough) try some swim paddles for your hands. They do well to correct the pull of your stroke. And don't get the flimsy neoprene gloves, get the hard plastic ones.
2014-07-24 6:14 AM
in reply to: phifatech

User image

Hi Guys,

please keep fingers cross for me for on Saturday, I'm racing in King of the Hill Sprint Triathlon in Kisale, Co, Cork. It's a National Series so I will be in the same wave as the best in Ireland (all men under 40 start in first wave). It's quite a big tri (over 500 participants) and the 'Hill' in the name comes from very hilly run (which I will be walking I think).

Oh Yesss, have to admit that for the first time when running (intervals) I got the endorphin kick I read about so many times. I lasted maybe 10 seconds and after that I was dying again but I could really enjoy that 10 seconds so maybe I am going to end up liking running

have a nice weekend folks
2014-07-24 7:28 AM

Blairstown, NJ
Carol - Thanks for the encouragement.

drtroll - Running takes a lot of work but can be enjoyable. Right now I am not thrilled with runnning but I think it has a lot to do with the heat for me. Good luck on those hils.

Tuning up for the Sprint Saturday and am in good spot to do well. Still debating some of the little things like wet suit or no wet suit, assuming the water temp allows it. The previous two times I ran this race it was with out but I really think it might help shave a couple minutes. The other thing is the Uni has to go. I used it both times for this race before without a problem but the other race last year prooved to be a bit of problem after a pit stop. The question becomes unpadded shorts and tough out a shorter 12 mile bike, or lightly padded and deal with it on the run. Hummph......
2014-07-24 9:02 AM
in reply to: Tri-solar

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Joe - I am uncomfortable on a bike right away, and it's not like I don't have enough padding on my body. I'd go with tri shorts with light padding - I don't even notice it on the run.

drtroll - your swim distances are impressive, seems like that's your best sport. Avoid that "washing machine" whirl up front with the fast swimmers.

Phil - how's that back? Thanks for the paddle tips, I avoid them thinking I don't need more muscle, just form, but I have heard they help with form. Guess it's that they make you enter water in a certain way or they fall off? Fingers down? Start high elbow pull right away or stretch arm out first?

run Carol run! How many weeks in your 10k plan? Hope your FIL is doing well.

Jim - yea on your swim. You've got a nice list of races coming up.

Found a sprint here in Ct for Sept 7. Think I could be in decent shape for it. Nice not to drag the family for an overnight just to see me come in near last. I know, I know, it shouldn't matter but I've been at this long enough I should be MOP.

Mitzi
2014-07-24 9:22 AM

User image

Thanks for all the well wishes.  Will look to shave off a few seconds (minutes?) for the next one.

Nice day off yesterday Did go bowling with the grand kids - weekly league bowling night, went early and had the kids bowl too.

Squirt - way to go with the program - keep it up!

drtroll - fingers crossed and prayers heading out. Have fun! Glad running is starting to work for you. I have yet to feel those endorphins.

Trisolar - good luck this Saturday. Kick some @$$.

Mitzi - Where is the sprint on Sept 7th?  I would like to try one with road bike / run.  So far all I have done is trails... and all my training is on the road.

I Will run / swim later on...  promise! Having a tough time getting up in the am...

Best,
-Dennis

2014-07-24 11:38 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
dtroll -- good luck with the race! Kinsale, is it? From when I was there a bunch of years ago, I recall it being a beautiful place. Fantastic race location

Speaking of kids & tris, my oldest daughter has told me she wants to do our local sprint tri next year by herself, and I think she will be awesome at it. She is highly athletic, so we'll be signing her up for it. Unless of course, she gets together with her sister and my wife and they do a family relay race.

I'll be stalking a friend online at IMLP this weekend as he attempts his first IM. He say's he's ready, but has had to downshift to "just finish" from his prior time goal as his wife had a baby about 7 weeks ago. You can imagine the impact on IM training
2014-07-24 3:21 PM

User image

New user
Dennis : Wow you are on a roll of PR's!!! Well done!

DrToll : good luck for your race on Saturday, take your time, have fun and enjoy the moment...

Oly RR is up!
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

And I am also excited (and a little scared!) to tell you all that I just registered for a half-marathon on Nov. 9. I am taking this running bull by the horns I am starting run-focus program next Monday, but will still bike and swim every week, as I have another sprint on August 30.

Happy training - and racing!
2014-07-24 4:50 PM
in reply to: isabella969

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Sorry Dennis - its the Hartford Marathon Foundations Women's sprint. I'm not shy in tri's, or I should say I'm equally intimidated by those young and in shape athletes of either sex, but I can see how it's a safer place for some women. I'm just doing it cause it'll give me enough time (I think) to get ready.

I was going to do the Cranberry Cove sprint (also have an oly) in the end of Aug. in Mass. Supposed to be pancake flat - that's what I look for, but won't be ready.
2014-07-24 6:24 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
So I'm sitting here at home making calls to hotels in Lake Placid, NY for possible lodging options in late July 2015. Hmmmm.......
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  

of 30

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.