BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 30

2014-07-24 8:57 PM
in reply to: Mike_D

User image

SOUTH WINDSOR, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN)

Went to pool..  15 minutes drills, 30 minutes of 25 yd "sprints" - I can do the pool in 21 strokes, 7 breaths....  just cannot swim for a long period of time at that pace.  Tough to swim slower??  I just need more time in the water and longer swims. Felt good to pick up the pace a bit.  Will see if it helps.

Mitzi - thanks for the info.. I only have 2 events left on my schedule.  Sprint tri (Winding Trails) on July 29th and the century bike ride in Maine on August 10th.  So I am looking for a few things to work towards the remainder of the year.  Thinking about Manchester Road Race (Thanksgiving 5K) people say that is a cluster??

Mike - make the reservations, no backing out.. 

Isabella - nice job on the RR - and now going for the run too!  Awesome.

Until next time....
-Dennis

2014-07-25 9:42 AM
in reply to: drtroll

User image

Master
Maryland
Hi everyone I just got back from vacationing in Ocean City. Isabella congratulations on your Olympic tri! I enjoyed reading your RR. I always learn from reading them. Mike, I can imagine how proud you are of your daughter. That is so wonderful she is doing tris!!
2014-07-25 12:42 PM
in reply to: Terps421

Blairstown, NJ
Mike D - That is a beautiful athletic family you have there. LP 2015 sound like a nice milestone!

Dennis - Swimming will get more natural and slow. Slow meaning that you get more effiecient and do not need to work as hard to go fast. My daughter is part of a swim team and it is fun to watch the meets. Some of the kids arms are flying, splash everywhere and you think there were going fast. Then you see the faster swimmers and they look so smooth that you really wonder where that speed comes from. Have fun in the pool!

Linda - Happy vacation!

My wife took me to get an early birtday present - a bike rack for the car. She got tired of seeing me take the front wheel off to load it in the car . Packet pick up after work and then get ready for an early morning tomorrow. So excited! Weather looks great in the 50's to start, my kind of weather .
2014-07-25 2:08 PM
in reply to: Tri-solar

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Good luck tomorrow, Joe!! New Bike rack, too? Cool!!

2014-07-25 11:09 PM
in reply to: Mike_D

User image

4 mile run - heart rate training, zone 2- seems slow..    Guess I will get faster some day...

Good Luck Joe!

Tri-solar - Fun in the pool...  always!

(07272014 - bike.PNG)

Attachments
----------------
07272014 - bike.PNG (12KB - 4 downloads)
2014-07-27 4:38 PM
in reply to: Dennis B

User image

Hi All,

my RR is done

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-view-container.asp?...

Quite happy with the result. Really surprised with my run, hoping for sub 1hour 35mins in 2 weeks time on my next sprint

2014-07-27 9:16 PM

User image

drtroll - Nice job!  Way to go - even a few PR's along the way..  Very cool.

Saturday - I had pain in my hips and knees, so took the day off..

Sunday - 35 mile bike working on a little more speed while trying to stay in zone 3 for heart rate.  Rained quite hard for a bit. Sunny and hot (steam) for the finish.

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

(07272014 - bike.PNG)

Attachments
----------------
07272014 - bike.PNG (12KB - 3 downloads)
2014-07-28 12:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Quick checkin. I see that I have some RR reports to read. Will try to go read them.

Good job everyone! We had the third of the 4 trail races last night. It was 3.5 miles and varied terrain - woods, mud, weeds, motorcross trail, hills. I thoroughly enjoyed the run and then afterwards found that I was probably the only one of the 100+ runners that liked it. It was in the 90s with about 100% humidity. But I really enjoyed it; I kinda of zenned during it and didn't worry about passing people nor if I was passed. It can be enjoyable to watch people winding thru the switchbacks.
2014-07-28 7:21 AM
in reply to: Pink Socks

Blairstown, NJ
drtroll - Nice race and way to handle the swim.

Pam - Glad you had fun on your race. I find it amazing when you can just let go and enjoy a WO/race.

I soo looked forward to Saturday's race and then the swim happened. To me i think the wet suit added too much change. Left the water and the race thinking it was the worst swim ever. Checking the race results it turns out to be not so bad. So that mental hurtle was tough but got through and finished what might be a little below average time for me but felt strong afterward. Even fit in a run on sunday with my daughter, ok she has not been running so it was more of walk, but it was a nice 4.77 mile. It is nice to have her along.

RR: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-view-container.asp?...
2014-07-28 8:33 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Hope everyone had a good weekend.

First day back in the pool in a while, and it was a harsh welcome back -- longest masters swim class I've ever had. 3500 yds. 400 warm up, then 31x100 on 1:55 (it was someone's 31st birthday). Ouch. I'm kind of tired

MD
2014-07-28 9:19 AM

User image

New user
DrToll: I read your RR... nice job! A sprint on a flat course is so much fun + major boost of confidence when you see the times afterwards!

Joe: I wanted to read your RR but the link doesn't work for me. So how did the bike and run go??!!

Pam: love that you enjoyed your race and took the time to be in the moment. Sometimes we think too much performance and we only feel the pain but fail to truly enjoy doing what we train for...

As for me I officially began training for my half-mary... last night was an easy 30 min run. As I was running I saw lightning and rainstorms coming my way but I was able to complete the run just before the downpour.

Also I was a bit worried because I hurt my knee Friday night. I was enrolled (a bit against my will!!) in my job's baseball team. I am so bad at this sport, so I thought since I cannot hit a ball very far I could make up for it by running fast to first base. Something happened to my knee and I could barely walk on it Saturday morning. It is much better now, it only hurts when I stretch my leg. I did not feel any pain during my run last night. In fact, it seems better since my run. I never had knee problems before, hope this will go away on its own.

Have a good week!

2014-07-28 12:11 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Welcome all. Sorry for not being on-line as I had to move 3 ton of rocks for to move to prevent errosion at my mom's place etc., and no internet at the cabin. Then we drove 1300 miles etc. So from here on I will be more active here.

For new people, please allow me access to your training logs so I can help with training and race prep stuffs and put your name in your signature line so I can address you by name when you post. If I miss something you really want me to answer directly send me a message and I will respond.

I am in Colorado currently and will be vollunteering/signing up for IM Boulder for next year.

Dirtrol plenty of time to get ready for that HIM for next year and plenty of time to worry when the race gets closer, so just embrace the freekedoutness and let it wash through you to help motivate smart training to make the race awsome.

Edited by Baowolf 2014-07-28 12:14 PM
2014-07-28 12:27 PM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Joe, congrats on your race! Will have to check out your RR, and a few others it seems.

Isabella, hope the knee bounces back quickly for you. You must not be too bad if you got a hit !

Mike, geez, you really jumped back into swimming! I took a friend from Dallas on the "Tour de Grapevine" on Saturday and thought of you. Turned out to be 39 miles, and a very nice ride.

Steve, welcome back to civilization. Glad you are in beautiful CO....one of my favorite states. Enjoy!

Ugh, the heat is on here in TX. 100+ temps. Friend I rode 39 with Saturday turned around and rode another 60 miles after we finished, and then ran 21 the next day. Maybe he is related to Steve! I think a "cool" front is on the way though, so might bring us back down into the 90's. Went to Rangers vs. Oakland baseball game last night and I don't recall having ever sweated so much while sitting still.
2014-07-28 12:43 PM
in reply to: BF JEFF

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Jeff, welcome. It looks like you have some big goals, but very obtainable. The longer the race the more prep. I took 2 years to go from couch to IM, you can do it in 1, but it isn't fun. It is much better to do 1 sprint, then 1 oly, then 1 HIM to get a feel for doing triathlons before committing to the IM. The actual training for an IM isn't that much more than for a HIM except for the long bike, run and swim for the week go up a lot. (112 vs 60-75 for the bike etc.). The main thing of course is consistency and building so that you do not get injured. Speedwork comes after base building. Anyway common in and get to know everyone.
2014-07-28 1:04 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Dennis, you will recover from a sprint in a day or two if you are not Z5 the whole race. If you race flat out it may be 3-4 days. So Day after a sprint, probably a z2 bike ride of 15-20 miles. The next day put in your short to medium swim z2 and a short run 2-3 miles z2. Day 3 you can hit a z2-z3 medium intensity bike ride and then day 4 you are back on track for hitting a harder swim and run. Nail a solid bike ride medium distance on day 5 (25-35 miles z2 with shorter hills (1-2 miles) or intervals 4 minute hard 2 minute recovery x 5 with rest of the ride in zone 2 ish. Then day 6 a lite something swim or run, like 10-20 min total z1-2. Then race again. Or something like that. Listen to your body, if you have grumpy muscles on the run, drop it back to a walk/jog. If your hip is bugging you on the bike drop back a mph or 2 for the ride. Just don't kill any workouts during the week, no mile repeats or anything that intense and you should be good for the next race. So you can do a sprint a week after a sprint, you probably can not do an Oly the week after an Oly without giving up some performance on the second Oly. Oly's 2-3 weeks apart is better. It takes about 4-5 days for solid Oly recover, and a HIM is more like 2 weeks of recovery, an IM more like a month to 6 weeks.

Still catching up on the posts. Dennis, nice improvements on your sprints. Also nice T1/T2 times.

Denis how did you determine your HR zones for training... what is your LT HR, and top HR for Z2 and Z3?

Edited by Baowolf 2014-07-28 1:56 PM
2014-07-28 1:14 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Dirtrol. I would probably add some intensity to your bike and add some walking to your run training doing 4x runs or walks a week. When I am injured or recovering I may walk 4x4 miles a week before I shift to more run/walk and then all run. Just walk at a fast clip say 15 mpm. Faster walking is really a life saver for getting in the leg muscle work and aerobic work without stressing the body if you have muscles or want to lose more weight before adding too many run miles. Swim doesn't care about weight, you can be fast or slow in the water based on balance and swim stroke technique which I don't have 8).

Nice race there Dirtrol. I am seeing some good stuffs there.

Edited by Baowolf 2014-07-28 2:03 PM

2014-07-28 1:23 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Joe, you can hit a sprint pretty hard and be good to go within 4 days for training for the Half. Not a problem to do both as long as you have 3 weeks between your sprint and your half.

Pam, you know the dance, listen to your body when training and you can do the half or full. It is surprising how fast races can sneak up on you. I will actually need to start tapering for IMLT in like 5 weeks... WOW!! It will be another long day for sure.

Mitzi you are doing great, just hang in there and stay consistent. Usually getting that stronger base before speed is best for injury prevention.

Mike, grats for your daughter, it is great when our kids overcome things and show strength in achieving something, especially if it is in an area that you enjoy yourself.

Isabella Very solid Oly, you did us proud out there. A bentos box is cheap for your bike... will help with the lost nutrition thing. Watch that knee over the next few days, don't stretch it much until it is pain free, ice and walk for your run workouts if it acts up on run.

Edited by Baowolf 2014-07-28 2:00 PM
2014-07-28 6:22 PM
in reply to: #4997711

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
mike - impressive jump back into swimming.

dtroll and joe - great hanging in the swim, getting hit and going the distance. sounds like you both learned some good lessons.

think my swimming is getting better, working on that high elbow catch. wonder what my time is for 100yds. can't find my waterproof watch, time to get another one. I have to have gotten faster as I was doing 3:10/100.
2014-07-29 10:16 AM

User image

Steve,  I used the heart rate from a few races to determine the LT and plugged into a calculator on the site here.

I also found in Garmin connect it figures it our for you as well using resting HR.

The numbers are pretty close... I asked in another thread in the general section with very limited feedback.

What are your thoughts?

My fifth sprint tri is tonight..  last one I pre paid for.  I *may* do another next week. Jury is still out. Still have the century ride August 10th.

Will post pics of what I used to determine LT.

Thanks!

Link to other thread: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=520486&posts=4#M5029934

Edited by Dennis B 2014-07-29 10:19 AM

(WT4-BPM.JPG)

(WT4-HeartRate.JPG)

(WT4-zones.JPG)

(of Max.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
WT4-BPM.JPG (12KB - 4 downloads)
WT4-HeartRate.JPG (22KB - 2 downloads)
WT4-zones.JPG (11KB - 2 downloads)
of Max.JPG (13KB - 3 downloads)
2014-07-29 1:52 PM

Blairstown, NJ
Isabella - Try the link again, I think I forgot to make it public before posting. Looking at the results I feel much better about it and realize how much of a mental game this can be. I did not set any records on any event but feel my training balance is working good to make me pretty average on everything. My strength/endurance is up, in prep for the 1/2, and my speed needs work when I feel ready for it.

Mitzi - Yes a very big lesson learned. Very glad i decided to enter this race. I usually have passed a bunch of people on the swim. This year was the complete oposite. My pace was a little slower. What I think the big difference was is who showed up for the race. The 45-49 AG were mainly in the 1:30-1:54 time frame. Very competetive and you cannot control who shows up for the race.

Steve - Gald to see you online. Didn't you have another rock project a year or two back? Nothing like some RL WO!

Nice night in the pool. Got a hair cut "buzz" Sunday so I did not need a cap which made life much cooler. Nice! Looking for a few more hours WO to round out the week and month. Happy trainning all!
2014-07-29 1:56 PM

User image

Alexandria, Virginia
Eventful last week of training for me. I've been keeping busy, but I had an 8-mile run last Friday where I completely bonked an hour in! It was a feeling I've never felt before. It could've been the 5 tacos I had for lunch that day, the fruit popsicles I've eaten this past week, or a hangover I was nursing a week before? No idea. I filled the weekend with easy low-impact stuff like a quick 1-hr Zone1 bike ride and a 6-mi trail hike at a local national park. Other than that, I ran a personal best 5k last night, hit 7:25 avg pace, at 23:07 for the 5k, with an average HR of 174. This was after playing goalie (as a sub) for a soccer team. July has been pretty good! The most productive month trainingwise.

I signed up for a local sprint this weekend to tune up for Sept's half tri. I'll let you know how it goes!

Wojciech, I read the race report. Great job! Train for those hills and you won't be worried anymore! Hill repeats ftw!

Mitzi, not a good sign that you're uncomfortable on the bike. Maybe you can look at a saddle change? My tri position felt painful in the groin area until I switched to an Adamo saddle. Regarding my back, it's still not 100%, but I've been diligent with my core/hamstring/glute workouts and they've been helping. It hasn't stopped me from training! As far as the paddles, you still need to practice good technique, but it helps make pulls more efficient (you can feel when your catches are working, and when you're pulling water in any direction other than back).

Isabella, great race report! As for putting on socks, do you do the 'donut roll' trick? It's a lifesaver, especially for wet feet just out the water. For short tris, you can get tri shoes that supposedly have 'built in socks'... they're just comfy without socks. 1100ft climbing is quite hilly indeed! Good luck on the HM! If you remember, I did my first this year in March and had a great time. Hope the knee feels better.

Joe, thanks for sharing your RR. Did you train with the wetsuit beforehand? Good that you did better than you thought, though. As I mentioned above to Isabella, 'donut' socks help me with my transitions if you don't do that already.

Mike, nice 3500 swim! And go do Lake Placid! That's close enough to me that I could participate, but I'll have to see how my half goes this year. When does it usually sell out?

Dennis, it's weird for me going slow on a swim too. That sounds like a good thing though! Joe has a good point: instead of trying to go slow, try thinking about working on perfecting your technique instead of thinking about your speed. You're on the right track with counting/reducing strokes per length. Good luck on the last sprint tri. Can we expect another PR? I think so...

Joe, what kind of bike rack? My best friend got a Kuat (with a built-in bike stand) from REI. I'm so jealous, because I'm rocking a cheap-o Swagman platform.

Pam, glad you had fun on that trail run!

Steve, welcome back! My sis just came back from Colorado. I'd like to visit sometime. Off-grid sounds like the best way to enjoy it!

Carol, 100+ temps sound horrible! The last couple days around here in DC have been credible! 80's, low humidity. I want it to last forever.

2014-07-29 5:36 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
The stuff you put out there doesn't quite make sense to me, need more of your numbers.

LT is different for bike than run. LT test is:
Bike 10 min warmup then 30 minutes hard as you can maintain, should be toast by the end, start HR monitor 10 minutes into the bike or run TT and collect data on the last 20 minutes of the hard 30 minute TT effort. Average the last 20 minutes and plug that into the BT formula. Do this 1x for the bike and 1x for the run. This can be repeated as often as once a month. Do Bike and Run TT a few days apart usually during a recovery week. So if I knew that that is how you got your LT, then looked at your HR zones, then I could see if it made sense.

Ya I did move about 15 ton of dirt with my wheelbarrel at home a year or two ago, but it was not while I was training for an IM. The 5000 foot in elevation gain is kicking my butt at the moment. Did a 3000 yard swim today and then took a 3 hour nap before I had the strength to eat lunch. I feel kind of sad for the IM Boulder folks who are coming up from sea level to do the IM this weekend.

Edited by Baowolf 2014-07-29 5:47 PM
2014-07-29 9:30 PM

User image

Hello all,

Nice night tonight. Very cool, little wind. I tried a few different things - putting bike shoes on right out of the water, and running up to transition with them. Also, No socks.

Need to practice more with setup on the beach and wet feet. T-2 I had a hard time taking the bike shoes off as I didn't unstrap them and tried to force them off - lost time. When I took off my helmet, it got tangled in my necklace - lost more time. UHG...

Overall did well..  more PR's and shaved quite a bit of time off - over 4 minutes off from last week!
Event 1 Times:  Swim: 15:36   T1: 2:04   Bike: 40:44   T2: 1:11   Run: 51:04   Total: 1:50:42
Event 2 Times:  Swim: 14:33   T1: 1:13   Bike: 34:10   T2: 1:05   Run: 44:40   Total: 1:35:38
Event 3 Times:  Swim: 13:33   T1: 1:09   Bike: 33:29   T2: 1:09   Run: 42:16   Total: 1:31:39
Event 4 Times:  Swim: 13:40   T1: 1:10   Bike: 31:16   T2: 0:59   Run: 42:01   Total: 1:29:08
Event 5 Times:  Swim: 14:14   T1: 0:25   Bike: 29:40   T2: 1:02   Run: 39:38   Total: 1:25:02

The last tri event I have signed up for  will need to find something late August / September to keep it going.

Steve - I was trying to use my race heart rate in lieu of the TT. I haven't really had a rest week to do the tt's ..  may try this week.  I still need to bike quite a bit before 8/10. The numbers I used came from during the races, I know I push it pretty hard. Figured that was close enough

Phil - thanks for the tip w/ Strava. I will give it a shot. - Awesome job on the workouts. Good luck on the sprint.

P.S. - Still love newbie gains - will enjoy them for now...

Edited by Dennis B 2014-07-29 9:30 PM
2014-07-29 10:03 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Dennis you look to be a pretty gifted athlete. Your gains are from your aerobic fitness getting closer to your genetic potential. You have a lot of gains ahead of you.

Your race HR won't work because your LT is sport specific. My run LT is 175, my bike LT is 160, swim probably 155. So if I mush them all together it just loses meaning. LT swim is Z3 run and Z2 bike.
2014-07-30 7:51 AM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Looks like no IM Lake Placid for next year. After a number of discussions with the family, it was decided next year wasn't the right time to do it. I'm disappointed, but understand. We all agreed its something I need to do sometime, so now we're trying to figure out what race location would be best for everyone. IM Lou moving to October kind of ruins that for us since the kids will be in school. So, the search goes on. So my thoughts for next year are to go do a few HIM races, at least 2, and to try some other regional races I've wanted to do. Maybe 2016 is the year for the 140.6 idea.

While thinking about that, I'm finally getting moving again. Couple swims, and running is starting again, including my lunch time runs at work which is a great time management thing. Swim this AM was another beatdown. Fun!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  

of 30

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.