BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 30

2014-08-03 12:47 AM
in reply to: #5034098

User image

Subject: RE: Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN)
Linda - I dont know how I missed this - 273m run in a month, jeysus thats a lot congratulations !!!

2014-08-03 6:25 AM
in reply to: #5034317

User image

Sorry for another post in the row, but found great article in BT on swimming in open water:

"Open Water Swimming (OWS): M.A.P.S. to Get"

its a must read for all beginners I think
2014-08-03 10:31 AM
in reply to: drtroll

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Yes Linda that 273 is amazing... stay healthy with that distance of run.

Most folks breath every right or every left side during races in the pool or open water. That should help. In Open water you have waves that screw up your breathing, cold water that can tighten up your chest (shorter smaller breaths) and wetsuit can contribute to that, even a well fit one. You also may be swimming with more intensity during a race. Try doing more OWS, breathing every stroke on one side, in a wetsuit and see how that goes. Start of at a really slow pace, just focusing on form and then bring it up to where you want it gradually.
2014-08-03 10:38 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Linda, are you training for an ultra or a mary?? Definitely some serious mileage!

Hubby had a flat yesterday and tire was toast, so back to the bike shop. Also took mine back in...still having issues with the clacking sound and resistance. Noticed that the front gears had some wobble to them. Just not right. So went to a more experienced mechanic, and turns out the bearings in the bottom bracket were "destroyed". Replaced and repacked, as well as getting my new saddle (Selle SMP Womens TRK) and new cleats installed. AND got a beautiful powder blue helmet to match my Madone's color scheme. Not sure how long those bearings had been going bad, but it was like riding a different bike....so much easier. And the new saddle...I expected some adjustment time, but wow....it was awesome from the get go. Enjoyment of my ride went up X 1000.
2014-08-04 10:38 AM
in reply to: squirt

User image

SOUTH WINDSOR, Connecticut

Morning all.

Impressive numbers for training across the board. Great team!

I am still not logging everything correctly and in the same place. Using Garmin, Strava, and Map my Run - then trying to import here??  Calgon take me away..  Lol (some younger peeps may not get this).  I did complete 4 sprint tri's in the month of July.

I really did bad over the weekend..  Lake George cruise, white water rafting, eating, horse track (Saratoga) - so my weekend "tri" was party, eat and gamble.  :-)  Back at it this week.

Road bike in shop getting new cassette installed for the hills..  will run / use mountain bike later today.  Hope the road bike will be ready for a group ride tomorrow evening (~ 25 miles).  Friday heading up to Maine, century ride on Sunday August 10th.  Only a couple of training days to go.

Best,
-Dennis

2014-08-04 10:41 AM
in reply to: Dennis B

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I used to live in Glens Falls, Lake George area. Sometimes it is ok to just have some fun. Life is a balance. Just beware of the slide back to the couch is all. Hope you didn't loose too much $ on the horses.

2014-08-04 11:39 AM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
How was the volunteering, Steve? I recall you saying you were going to volunteer @ IMBoulder, then register for next year? I assume you're all set?

As for me, I'm planning out goals for the fall, and will be working on weakness -- running. I'm essentially starting over and have a couple targets right now. Using the couch-10K plan Carol sent me, I'm shooting for a 10k in late September, and then a half Mary in late October. I'm not going to set any course records, but want to work toward something other than wearing a headlamp at 4:30 AM. There is actually a local HM on 10/26, so I'm going to aim for that.

I'll also continue with at least 2x swim and 3x biking weekly. Looking to carry thing into the winter, and get me set to take on HIM training come January. Not sure what family travel looks like for next summer, but I'm doing a couple HIM races, and may make a long weekend of a 'destination' race, as long as its drive-able. Then IMLP in 2016 .
2014-08-04 3:04 PM
in reply to: Mike_D

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Yep I volluntered on Sunday and registered today for 2015. It was amazing to me how many people are faster than me on the swim and bike. It looked like the heat and elevation of the race (5300 feet above sea level) got to a lot of the folks by the time they started the run. Even the guy who won the race had like 3 pounds of ice down his shirt for the whole run race. The temps were only 85F ish, but everyone looked really overheated.

I was able to do the whole bike course over 2 days and it is not as tough as CDA, but there is huge wind exposure from any direction and no shade at all.
2014-08-04 3:45 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Entered my items from Garmin connect in training log for July..  not bad..  will get better. Not all my swims are there.  I would need to look them up.

This afternoon - bike 8+ miles and jogged 1.5.  Road bike *may* be ready for a ride tomorrow..  fingers crossed.

Steve - only lost $30 for the day...  Wife was up $20..

Mike - Thanks for the reminder..  need to review and set up some new goals!

Edited by Dennis B 2014-08-04 3:46 PM

(july totals.PNG)

Attachments
----------------
july totals.PNG (2KB - 2 downloads)
2014-08-04 4:11 PM

User image

Alexandria, Virginia
Isabella, I've raced last year with the same setup (check out a gif of my fit last year). I opted for a fastforward seatpost and a tri-specific saddle to rotate my body in a more aero position, and used regular length clip ons. Another method was be just use shorter clip ons and maintain their road seatpost angle.

Unfortunately I didn't do the sprint on saturday, but I opted to do a mock olympic distance tri with a pool swim. It doesn't deserve a mock race report, but aside from the traffic and pedestrians I had to avoid during the bike, I felt really good during the workout. Still need some good ones to feel more comfortable for the HIM coming up!

Wojciech, I think Steve made all the good points. In my opinion, the best practice for OWS is to just do more OWS's! While bilateral swimming improves symmetry, during a race I don't think it makes your faster because most people have a dominant side. The adrenaline of racing certainly affects breathing and would be my guess though.

Fantastic training everyone!

Edited by phifatech 2014-08-04 4:12 PM
2014-08-04 7:29 PM
in reply to: phifatech

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
run tonight felt great! only 3 miles, but a good 3 miles and felt like, "oh, yeah, THIS is what was fun about this..." Good stuff.

Where's Jay?

2014-08-04 11:11 PM
in reply to: Mike_D

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Long day today, did 35 mile bike with 2x the hardest hills of the IM course, 5 mile run and 3600 yard swim. Driving home next 2 days so no internet. Maybe I will get a hotspot next summer.

I have moments when I am running at a decent speed and then it passes. Hopefully I get back up to snuff before taper time...lol.
2014-08-05 9:12 AM

User image

New user
Good last couple of days.
Saturday : Easy 4-mile run
Sunday : 40-mile bike
Monday: 5.5 mile run (hill repeats)

Today is off, tomorrow bricks (bike-run) and Thursday swim. I have started to do my "long" runs on Friday nights. That way I can have a nice long swim and maybe a short, easy run on Saturday, then a long bike on Sunday.
We'll see how it goes once the "long" runs are actually "long"
2014-08-05 1:29 PM
in reply to: isabella969

Blairstown, NJ
Carol - Hope the LBS can fix you up quick.

Phil - Sounds like you and the pedestrian were pretty luck, even if you did get the worst of it. Glad your bike seems to be ok too. The guy looked at the tape on the handle bars being pushed forward and started talking about the stem length and then the saddle tilt was a high. He seemed pretty knowledgable so I plan on making a stop in their shop, maybe tomorrow.

Isabella - sound like you have a god plan!

The build to the HIM continues. although I found Sunday's run to be quite a challenge. My daughter was with me and kept pushing it run/walk while I did my best to keep up. Today I planned a 60 mile bike and pulled up a bit short with 57 miles which is still quite an accomplishment. I have concurred the distance. Now it would be nice to build in a little fudge factor.

July totals: Swim 8hr 3 min 16000yrds, Bike 9hr 43 min 142 miles, Run 8hr 21 min 43 miles. A big month for me with a strong finish.

Steve - travel safe and stay healthy. You know IMLT. Hopefully it wont be snowing on you this year.
2014-08-05 2:07 PM
in reply to: #4997711

User image

Hi All,

yes, thats what I want to see. everybody is training hard, its very motivating.
I started enjoying my runs a bit which is great news. also convinced my neighbour (who is -I thought- much fitter than me) to do sprint tri with me in 2weeks time so I have a partner for OWS. I did one tday and found out that im much better swimmer (but he will kill me on the run
And doing Aquathlon tmrw (750m river swim and 6k road run). And planning OWS on saturday (I live only 15km away from Ocean coast). So all good news

winter training - its raining here from October till March so need to get bike trainer. any idea of good cheap one? i buy either cheap or best and with my recent shopping (wetsuit, signing up for HIM Barcelona and garmin 910xt (soon) my wife is starting to give me her bad looks and mentioning something about finding cheaper hobby...
2014-08-05 4:08 PM
in reply to: #5035482

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
friend made me feel good about my swimming, but training has been light this summer, as I focused on wt. loss. was swimming at 3:10/100, yes that is not a typo. the orher day I did 2:55/100. had a false sense of what some correction of my stroke, the high elbow catch, could accomplish. at least I didnt get slower. I hear it takes time, got to keep the faith.

2014-08-05 8:23 PM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

User image

Wow - everyone is looking good...

Phil - you elect not to do a sprint in order to do a mock olympic length..  Nice! Like the gif (see end of this message)

Mike D - nice to see someone enjoying the run. Keep it going.

Isabella - looking awesome! You are going to rock your next event.

Tri-Solar - good job on the July numbers.. way to go.

drtroll - doing a lot of OWS - sweet.  Thought you were going to say wife looking for cheaper hubby - instead of hobby.

MuscleMomma - yes, keep the faith. Numbers getting better..  and you are losing weight too! great.

Steve - travel safe. It is great you could ride the course in advance.

Well, I did the unthinkable.  I put aero bars on my road bike. 
Tonight I spent a few on setting them up, adjusting and getting comfortable.  Only ~ 5 miles or so up and down the street.  Looking to head out early am and try them out.

What are your thoughts on adding aero bars to a road bike?

My reason - for the century, it will give me an opportunity to get off my hands / palms. Another position to help with fatigue.

Best,
-Dennis

2014-08-05 10:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Don't usually mention my months numbers, but I've been fairly consistent, even if I'm just getting going this season. To be accountable -
swim - 3h 15 m (refuse to say how many yds that came to)
bike - 7h 8m -
run - 5 h 30 min
strength - 1h 45m Successfully fought the urge to hit the gym - need to go outside my comfort zone.

Mitzi
2014-08-06 3:22 AM
in reply to: #5035553

User image

Denis_B - cheaper hubby good one

regarding tri-bars: I added them to my road bike and found them very good. I checked my speed and time on the route I did day before I put them on and it added 3km/h and reduced time by couple of mins in 20km ride.
Also on a flat surface with fast tarmac I can be cruising about 40km/h easily with easy/medium effort and when going downhill I reach 60km/h pretty fast. Best addition to my bike so far
2014-08-06 1:35 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Hmm...seems like aero bars are the go-to bike upgrade for this group. Always fun to get something new, especially when it helps with speed and/or comfort.

My bike riding joy was short lived....rear tire flat and no obvious foreign body in there. Usually that just means I haven't found it, and there will be a second flat shortly thereafter. Didn't have the time or patience for that, so I phoned a friend to come get me. Did have a nice swim today though. First time I've swam a mile with no stops in a while and it felt easy. I think I'm in good shape for my bucket list swim at the Dolphin Club when we go to San Fran later in the month. Well, except for squeezing into my wetsuit and the cold water. But not much I can do to prep for that other than buy some Crisco and suck it up!

Mitzi, I just have to say how impressed I am with your progress. I love how you have chipped away at all of this in your own way.
2014-08-06 2:27 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I have been happy with my Cyclops fluid trainer. Fluid trainers tend to be quieter than magnet or fan tainers I have been told. I have logged maybe 15,000 miles on my trainer so far and it has held up fine. Now for the best trainers, you have the one's where you hook your chain directly onto the machine's gearing and it measures power, speed, can change drag etc. Those are pricey. One way to work with your wife is to develop a tri cost budget and then stay within it. If you need the trainer now.... call it an early Christmas or birthday present. A large part of triathlon training is the startup cost. After you have the necessary toys it is then like 4 pair of shoes 3 tires 2 tubes 1 pair of socks per year in addition to the race fees. Also set aside about $200-300 a year for big ticket items in case one of your big toys breaks. (bike, watch, trainer, wetsuit).I often offer to let my wife pick a location where a race is to make it into a family vacation.

Oh and get a Trainer Tire for your real wheel $20 will last 10,000 + miles instead of 2,000 and then change the road tire back in before going outside again.

Edited by Baowolf 2014-08-06 2:34 PM

2014-08-06 9:45 PM

User image

A quick 10 miles at lunch to get used to the aero bars...  no big rides for this week. Until Sunday that is..  I felt pretty comfortable on the bars, will take a bit to get used to.  I really should have done this sooner.  The speed isn't quite what I would like..  I hit too many red lights.

I also added a bontrager Node 1.1 - really like this.  Gives cadence, speed and HR all on one screen when setup w/ dual display on bottom, Retired my 20+ year old cat eye computer...

I am NOT looking forward to winter.  In lieu of a trainer, what about using spin / life cycles at the gym?

I want to work on my swim and running the most.  Bike is coming along nicely...

Edited by Dennis B 2014-08-06 9:46 PM

(lunch bike.PNG)

Attachments
----------------
lunch bike.PNG (4KB - 3 downloads)
2014-08-07 12:50 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Part of riding your bike is riding your bike. So you will work your legs in spinning and could do it all winter, but you want to get back on your bike, even if on the trainer quite a ways out in front of your races. You will use your muscles differently and build um tougher skin in the right place for the right saddle. So ya spinning is fine, but is not the same.
2014-08-07 6:00 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Dennis -- if the thought of winter/inside trainer riding has you down, I'd suggest you get a subscription to TrainerRoad which is a great online/app for which measures speed, cadence, riding history, and has 'virtual' power measurement. Just need a speed/cadence sensor (like the Garmin GCS-10). Will also record heart rate, if you use a HRM. They also have a whole library of workouts covering just about any need and time you can think of.

Then, go to thesufferfest.com and get yourself a few videos. They are fun, challenging, inexpensive, and make you forget all about being inside, mostly becauce you are hoping you won't be dead before the end of the workout (or maybe you hope you will be... ). I've found them to be fantastic workouts, and really get you moving. They also synch with Trainer Road so as you 'ride' it records your progress versus the video workout.

Its all pretty cost effective, too as TR is about $9/month, and the Sufferfest videos are about $12 each, and you can use them forever. No recurrent use fee. This is how I spend my winter cycling time, and its great.
2014-08-07 9:56 AM

User image

New user
I purchased a Tacx trainer (magnetic) in January and did all my winter training on it, mostly intervals, but quite a few "long" bikes (1.5-2.5 hours).

Compared to when I was using a stationary bike, I found that when spring came and I was able to ride outside, I was already accustomed to the road bike position and could ride confortably lots longer. Also a big improvement was how I climbed hills. I also bought a cadence/speed sensor to use with my Garmin 310XT and had all the data I usually have when riding outdoors. All in all an $300 investment (trainer, front wheel support, garmin speed/cadence sensor) but well worth it!

So I agree a gym bike is better than nothing, but using your actual bike is best.

I'm contemplating adding aerobars, maybe next year.
A few of my training partners got them -one of 'em actually crashed yesterday during our training ride He was using them while drafting off of somerone (a big NO-NO) but he was ok to continue.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  

of 30

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.