BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 30

2014-08-07 5:07 PM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

Master
Maryland
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN)
Originally posted by Baowolf

I have been happy with my Cyclops fluid trainer. Fluid trainers tend to be quieter than magnet or fan tainers I have been told. I have logged maybe 15,000 miles on my trainer so far and it has held up fine. Now for the best trainers, you have the one's where you hook your chain directly onto the machine's gearing and it measures power, speed, can change drag etc. Those are pricey. One way to work with your wife is to develop a tri cost budget and then stay within it. If you need the trainer now.... call it an early Christmas or birthday present. A large part of triathlon training is the startup cost. After you have the necessary toys it is then like 4 pair of shoes 3 tires 2 tubes 1 pair of socks per year in addition to the race fees. Also set aside about $200-300 a year for big ticket items in case one of your big toys breaks. (bike, watch, trainer, wetsuit).I often offer to let my wife pick a location where a race is to make it into a family vacation.

Oh and get a Trainer Tire for your real wheel $20 will last 10,000 + miles instead of 2,000 and then change the road tire back in before going outside again.

Steve, I also like my Cyclops fluid trainer and I have a tire just for trainer riding on it.

2014-08-07 6:16 PM
in reply to: Terps421

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Had a long post and then lost it. Sigh. This will have to be quick.

We have a Kinetic fluid trainer. I watch movies and spin easy. Hubby watches Spinnervals DVDs and works his butt off.

Mitzi, so glad to hear from you. Congrats on the weight loss and the training.

Linda, do you have a training group or do you do those running miles solo? Wow, you are a machine! Highly impressed

Jay??????? Come back. We miss you.

Steve, yay on IM Boulder next year. What job did you do for volunteering?

I'm someone who really works at slowly integrating quality runs in order to avoid injury. I've been at 2 quality runs per week for a while (intervals and long or race). Today added my 3rd for the week (max) and did a tempo run this morn. Felt good but little sore now. Ez tomorrow and then 5.5 trail race Saturday.

Job interview today. Went well, I think. I don't know if I'll take, even if offered, but then again, I don't know. But it was my first interview in about 17 years so it was good to go thru that again.

Vaca next week so I won't be checking in for a while. Have a great week everyone.
2014-08-07 8:01 PM
in reply to: Pink Socks

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Love my cycleops fluid trainer! 3 years going strong.

Funny thing tonight. I received an email from the WTC-Ironman folks about the Timberman 70.3 race I did last August, trying to get me to sign up for this year. Anyway, the email comes with this big banner shot of folks coming off the swim course at the race last year. I did a double take and realized I was the lead guy coming out of the water in the shot . I'm the tired looking guy on the left. Here's the pic:

(timberman.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
timberman.jpg (104KB - 4 downloads)
2014-08-07 8:16 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I did the first run station. The downside of doing the 11 am to 3 pm run aid station shift was that we had to unpack the entire truck of supplies, yes each aid station uses 1 semi truck full of supplies (about 1/4 water 1/4 ice) etc.

It was cool to see the fop athletes as they are usually done by the time I start the run. The single loop swim looked really long. All of my swims have been double loops which still look big.

Edited by Baowolf 2014-08-08 12:22 AM
2014-08-08 8:14 AM

Blairstown, NJ
Steve - that is an aweful lot of supplies!

Mike - Great photo and that guy might be tired but he is also ahead of all those other racers!

Pam - Good luck with the job. I always find it hard to tell how well it went.

Phil - the date is getting closer. How is the prep going?

Took my bike to a differenrt LBS and what a different experience. The guy raised my seat a bunch (>1/2") tried several different stems before deciding on the one which he needed to order. Very helpful and experience bike guy(s). Changing this much so close to race time is a bit never wracking but it all seems to work in getting me more comfortable for a longer ride and get more leg extension for more power to the wheels. Cann't wait to give it a try. It is T-4wk to my first 1/2 iron distance race. Hotels are very expensive in the area so I am considering camping or getting a cabin at a local state park.Glad this is a smaller race as I can feel the excitement/nerves already starting to build.
2014-08-08 9:32 AM
in reply to: Tri-solar

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Mike - you are a celebrity! First it's hanging out with Andy Potts, and now this .

Joe - glad you are getting excited about your first HIM! That cabin at the state park sounds good. Hopefully a bit of protection if the weather turns south, but cheaper and get to enjoy the park. Remember Ceril...and her "glamping" though? The right camper is better than a holiday inn!

Steve, glad you are enjoying your vacation, and that the volunteering was good. Yes, always fun to watch the fast folks!

I have a mag trainer. Went cheap, and don't really regret it for as little as I use it. I don't find it to be that noisy, but YMMV.

Absolutely loving my new saddle. I had a Cobb V-flow max for the last few yrs. Served me well, but now that I have this new one. Well I just had no idea how much better it could be! Hoping to take it out for a longerish ride tomorrow.

2014-08-09 1:36 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Mike you are a total celebrity!!!!!

Steve, never thought about them having an entire semi for each aid station. How cool and organized.

Carol and Joe, enjoy your bike rides with the new saddle and fit.

Last of the trail races today - well for this series. Longest one and it was 5 1/2 miles. It was tough for me with lots of steep downhills. Of course on the way back, they were steep uphills but I really hate downhills on trails. Always feel like I'm gonna thumpdadadump into a gulley. Toward the end, a friend's husband was leading me in and we chitchatted along. Then 15 feet from the finish line, he stopped and wanted me to finish ahead of him. Nah ah, I'm not going to pace off of someone for 1.5 miles to pass them at the end. We both argued about it for 20 secs or so while the clock ticked on. Finally he realized that he had to go on when I told him we could let people come in and pass us all day but I wasn't finishing before him.

Now on to packing. Hope all have a good week next week.

Edited by Pink Socks 2014-08-09 1:38 PM
2014-08-09 3:54 PM
in reply to: Pink Socks

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Mike and Pam, thank you for your concern.

Life has taken an unexpected turn for the worst. Normally, I'd follow that up with something that's going on at work or with me but this time is different. My MIL has COPD and has been on a heavy amount of oxygen for awhile now. (its the highest amount Kiley has ever seen in her nursing career) A week before we left for vacation, my MIL was admitted to the hospital and was there for most of the week. She was released before we left but she isn't doing well. Kiley and I believe she has 6 months to live at most. You can add day to day stuff along with Kiley's stress with starting her PhD next month and you have a pretty full picture. I've sacrificed a lot of training time to let Ki spend time with her Mom and I've continued weight training with her. All of this has made me realize that I'm totally screwed for my HIM next month. I'm not well trained or psychologically ready for this.....its going to be a sufferfest to the maximum......and I can't bring myself to DNS this thing.

So, that's the short version of why I haven't posted much. With so many in the group doing great in races and with training, I didn't want to bring people down with my news. I've been lurking and reading peoples accomplishments and I'm very happy for all of them! You've all created a nice temporary distraction from everything.
2014-08-09 6:07 PM
in reply to: medeiros13

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Jay, sorry to hear about the stresses for your family but you are definitely doing the right thing with being supportive and making sure everything is good. There will always be another race.

Carol -- what saddle did you get? Glad you are enjoying the bike more with it.

I went out for a ride today on likely the best weather day of the year. Just clear skies, low humidity, mid 80's temps. Perfect. Had a great time and if felt awesome. I rode some of the usual roads, but the opposite direction. More hills than I remember

2014-08-09 9:18 PM
in reply to: Mike_D

User image

SOUTH WINDSOR, Connecticut

Hello all,

Mike - when you giving (selling) autographs?

All - I hear ya..  get a trainer.. 

Just popping in ..  long day tomorrow.  Wish me well.

http://dennisbosse.com/charity/ride-cause-tour-de-la-vallee

Did a quick 8 mile shake down ride today.  Went well.  After having the bike on the back of the truck for 550 miles..  Always worry. A lot of open space and a bit of wind. Will be fun! Will post on FB / Strava (hopefully) through the day.

Later,

-Dennis

2014-08-09 9:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Jay - been wondering where you've been. So sorry about your MIL. You are being a good hubby and SIL - keep whatever happens in the tri in perspective. We are lucky enough to have the health to do this regardless of where we place.

Joe - I've been wondering if a fitting would be helpful, good for you investing in yourself.

Pam - congrats on that first job interview! Having stayed home or worked part-time I know how much guts it takes to put yourself out there again. Good luck.

Carol - you are a role model when it comes to running. Getting to the point where I'm looking forward to it.
Mike - so many swimmers behind you!

A very low carb diet has become automatic for me, it's just the foods I have on hand. Have end a few workouts thinking about a bowl of cereal! So I am trying to get myself to adjust my diet for training. Oatmeal before a workout, plain yogurt and fruit after. It's been OK, but I know it's not enough.

The other day I actually ate half a bagel and a bite of a power bar before my first brick of the season. Rode 7 miles on rolling hills and ended with a mile run on a dirt track. Felt good right off the bike. Did a 9 min. mile. That's over a min. faster than my times up to now - of course before I was doing 2-4 miles at a time on hills. I'm really excited.
Still a really slow swimmer, but I've only swam a few times.

Mitzi

2014-08-09 10:48 PM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Ug long day for me 90 mile bike in 93F temps... well the first 60 miles anyway. I was drinking 35oz of water per hour and was still getting dehydrated. After going through most of my water 110 oz I stopped by our single park to refill my water tanks and found the fountain was not working. So I went to the bathrooms... locked all weekend every weekend now. Hrm went to the other drinking fountain in town also not working. I guess we are saving water by not having any public water or restrooms in our town. Sooo depressing. After doing the 10 mile hill with 2000 feet elevation gain and having it kick my butt, drinking all of my water except for 1 bottle and not having anywhere to fill back up I just went home, turned on the AC and did the last 28 miles on the trainer with some icewater. Oh well got it done. I am really hoping to get some uphta back in my training. I was able to do a couple 7 mile continuous runs this week at a 9 mpm ish pace at least for the second one and was able to get in a 2700 yard swim continuous without having to break down to doing 50 yard repeats with a 30 second rest between, so maybe I am getting a little better. I was very very slow going up the hill of pain though, 10 minutes slower than where I was at this point 2 years ago. Tahoe is going to be a long day...
2014-08-09 10:51 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Jay not sure what to tell ya about the HIM. I have DNS for a race before because it was the smart thing to do. You will have to think it through, I don't see much training in your logs, but not sure if they are up to date. A HIM is not an Oly, so it is really hard to just wing it.
2014-08-10 12:57 PM
in reply to: #4997711

User image

Jay - so sorry to hear about your MIL. there is always another race but on the other hand good training might clear up all the worries from your head so might be helpful too.

I did sprint Aquathlon last wednesday, 750m river swim + 6km run in 51mins. I finished 33rd (out of 50), but about 10people passed me on the run, did 32mins run (first 5k in 29m12sec which is my first 5k under 30min). Having long transition (about 500m run to transition zone) which gives me swim time below 15mins, so my dreaded 20min swim from my last triathlon is now forgotten

yesterday did my long run - 8.8km
today did long cycle - 41km

just need to remember to update my training log

looking forward to my sprint triathlon next Saturday.
2014-08-11 8:56 AM
in reply to: drtroll

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Dennis, how was the ride?

Mitzi, I think you have me mixed up with Linda, or Pam or Isabella on the running. I used to be a role model on that...not so much now, but to everything a season .

Mike, the saddle is a Selle SMP Women's TRK. Any of you ladies who are looking for a comfy saddle...might be worth a look. Made a world of difference for me.

Jay, so sorry to hear about your MIL. Very tough time for your wife and for you. Life seems to be a constant shift of priorities sometimes, and being able to let go and move forward at the same time is a real challenge.

Got in a bike and a swim this weekend, though the swim was cut short due to cramps. Had done yard work in the heat the same day, so figuring I was low on salt or ???. Anyway, I'll live to swim another day. Not getting it done on the C to 10K plan. We have hit the 100+ degree temps, and an hour or so of outdoor time is about all I can handle right now.

Toured the memory care side of my FIL's assisted living place this weekend. It may be about time to move him over there. He is increasingly agitated and feeling like he needs to "go somewhere", but is not sure where. Also looking at giving up my freelance job(s) and going full time with benefits again. Hubby & I are both feeling pretty drained right now, so we are deferring major decisions until after our trip. After that it may be time for some of that letting go and moving forward.
2014-08-11 11:06 AM

User image

New user
Mike: Wow that is awesome! You do look great!

Jay: sorry to hear about your MIL. as others have said, if you need to prioritize family just put the training aside. there will always be races to do, plus if you don't enjoy doing this one what is the point?

Dennis: how did the tour go?

Carol: not much of a running model either... I work hard but the results are slow to come.

I did a nice OWS on Saturday morning, on the swim course of my next tri.

Sunday we left our 2 kiddos with my parents for the week. Last night I had a long run on the program so I asked my husband if he wanted to come along. To my surprise he said yes and we went for a run together! I am really discouraged to report that with no training at all, he was easily running faster than me. Grrr! It was fun though

Tonight my tri club has scheduled a running analysis clinic. Can't wait to see the result.

2014-08-11 7:44 PM
in reply to: isabella969

User image

Master
Maryland
Jay you will have the group's support here with whatever you decide to do.

I enjoyed a 20 mile run Friday then a 5k Sat. mornig and a 26 mile bike ride with friends in the afternoon. Sunday I was tired : )
2014-08-12 9:02 AM
in reply to: #5037736

User image

August is definitely the OWS month for me. At least one or two swims a week + 3km swim in the ocean on the 24th.
First Oly (6th of Sept) is coming fast After this im going for another holidays and first October Im starting my 4-5months slimming program. And then starting training for first HIM. is this a good plan?
2014-08-12 9:28 AM

User image

Alexandria, Virginia
Hey all.

Didn't have a very productive wek last week (less than 5 hours), kinda nursing injuries and had other non-tri related events. My confidence for the HIM is growing. I'm going to Montana for a wedding, will be there for 6 days (leaving on Thurs) and plan to rent a bike and hit some of the mountains at Big Sky (where I'm staying). Anyone ever cycled up around those parts?

Wojciech, great progress btw! My trainer is a solid performer, a Kinetic Road Machine (fluid). As others said, fluid trainers are a little better (you can change resistance using gears), but mag trainers are so much cheaper! Steve mentioned trainers like the Wahoo Kickr, etc, those are amazing but about a grand, so. I usually have a spare rear lying around solely for trainer purposes, so I don't have to keep switching tired.

I participate in some spinning classes at my gym too, the company helps. Some other classes I've attended just throw in a Sufferfest video and the attendees will ride along. Definitely keeps you in shape during the winter, and varies the rides (they'll do intervals, mock mountains, etc.). But you can do those same videos at home on a trainer.

Dennis, how are the aero bars? For me, they're great for races but tough to keep in aero position in these suburb/city paths because of the people around (like dude in Isabella's post!). Stay safe. Come to think of it, a good chunk of my aero position practice is on my trainer, no needing to worry about avoiding things, and I get to keep a nice, steady pace for as long as I want.

And I agree, certainly not a cheap sport!

Mitzi, great going with the swimming!

Pam, good luck with the job search!

Mike, awesome that you're in that photo!

Joe, better late than never to get that fit. Looks like our races are the same day. I haven't finalized my hotel yet either.

Jay, sorry to hear about your family. I wish you guys the best.

Steve, great training as always.
2014-08-12 10:40 AM
in reply to: phifatech

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
I'm on hold right now due to some intestinal bug which is making things highly unpleasant for me. Skipped swimming yesterday, and today's run may not happen unless something changes drastically in the next few hours. Ugh. No fun. No appetite, feel semi-barfy, tired, just blah....
2014-08-12 10:40 AM
in reply to: phifatech

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
I'm on hold right now due to some intestinal bug which is making things highly unpleasant for me. Skipped swimming yesterday, and today's run may not happen unless something changes drastically in the next few hours. Ugh. No fun. No appetite, feel semi-barfy, tired, just blah....

2014-08-14 4:01 AM

User image

new PB on 5k run today - 29.12

was trying to go under 29 mins but have tri sprint on Saturday and this blocked me a bit as I was afraid of injury or something
2014-08-14 6:55 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Finally back at it today. Feeling better, but my wife had knee surgery yesterday (all went well) so I am trying to squeeze in what I can when I can. Managed a run today, now up to week 4 of my couch to 10k plan. felt good, and wiil go out and run again maybe tomorrow or Saturday. Swim tomorrow AM.
2014-08-14 10:40 PM

User image

SOUTH WINDSOR, Connecticut

Hello all,

Nice to see everyone progressing well.

I am still on vacation and just popping on real quick. the ride went VERY well. I completed it a lot faster than I originally thought. There were only 9 people total signed up for the Century. Over 100 people participated in all the events - Rides and walks / runs. 3 of the guys riding in the century were from Connecticut (we are in Northern Maine). Heading home on Saturday. Back to a normal schedule on Sunday.

I had hoped to complete the ride within 9 hours. averaging about 12 mph. I completed the ride in less than 8 total and over 14 mph, w/ 7 hours moving time. I started off a bit quicker than planned, hit some sore muscles at mile 45, which was a lot earlier than I had hoped. Muscled it out slow and steady through the end.

There were a lot of rest stops, and I skipped more than half of them. Only stopped 4 times total. - Will need to stop more frequently next time. Well staffed with volunteers and goodies all along the way. I took pictures of all my stops and other scenery along the way and posted an album on Facebook. I wasn't in a hurry and had fun with it! I will definitely think about coming back next year. A great event for a great charity. Made a few new friends too!

I have not done much since. Taking the week for vacation activities with my wife and grand kids, mother and sister, and extended family. Sight seeing in Canada, 4 wheeling, etc. Good time to rest a bit.  I have a few events to plan and train for in my mind.

I am fighting yet another medical issue - have been for some time. Will need to get with my doctors in the next few weeks and start up the treatments. Will share more later.

Jay, take the time with your family...  I wish and pray for you and your family.

All - keep up the great work and the awesome reports.

Best,
-Dennis

(Tour de la Vallee.JPG)

(Tour de la Vallee_02.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Tour de la Vallee.JPG (22KB - 7 downloads)
Tour de la Vallee_02.JPG (55KB - 5 downloads)
2014-08-15 12:48 AM
in reply to: Dennis B

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Linda, I like running, but not sure I often put enjoyed in the same sentence as a 20 mile run. Survived, held pace, felt good after... but enjoyed maybe after a hot bath and a half gallon of fluids.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  

of 30

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.