BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 30

2014-08-15 6:21 AM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN)
Originally posted by Baowolf

Linda, I like running, but not sure I often put enjoyed in the same sentence as a 20 mile run. Survived, held pace, felt good after... but enjoyed maybe after a hot bath and a half gallon of fluids.

Ha!!!

Nice century ride!!!

Off to the pool shortly. Hope everyone has a great weekend!! Anyone racing?

Mike

2014-08-16 10:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Originally posted by Baowolf

Linda, I like running, but not sure I often put enjoyed in the same sentence as a 20 mile run. Survived, held pace, felt good after... but enjoyed maybe after a hot bath and a half gallon of fluids.

I agree with that statement. And my half gallon of fluids would be mostly wine.

Steve, great job with the long bike ride. Sorry about all of the water stops being turned off. Encountered that before and it sucks.

Jay, so, so, so sorry about the MIL. You and Kiley are doing the right thing tho. The racing can wait. Prayers to you all. Please don't be a stranger. I think I can speak for the group by saying that we want you here even if training is on a hiatus for a while.

Back from vaca. Busch Gardens, Ybor City, zoo, aquarium, museum, beach - all with a 16 y.o. who can be a joy or a pain. Training didn't go fantastically but I got some things done. I've said it before but I've got to say it again. Vacations are yet another time when I realize how much better my life is because of training. One day we spent 14 hours at Busch Gardens going from one roller coaster to another. The only time we sat were the times we ate and the times in the coasters. Up and down and all around the park - 7 to 10 miles? And then the other days at the zoo and other attractions. Ok, I know that walking around at parks and other places are done by other people but I saw a lot of them resting, leaving early, arriving late, and walking slow while we were running around maximizing our time. And then at the beach we swam and walked. And think about Carol going to SF and swimming with the dolphins. And Dennis' century ride on vaca. How many people that don't keep themselves in shape think of doing things that cool?

Well, one bad thing about vaca was I think I gained about 8 pounds. Yuck. Went out this morn for my run and was determined to stay out for 2 hours whether running, walking, or crawling. Thankfully most was running and none was crawling. I was surprised when I mapped it out to find that I did over 11 miles. I felt like I was slow but at least it's done. Hopefully I can get some of the weight off and get back to regular training next week. And I really need to get my eating back on track again.

A while back, we talked about transporting homemade nutrition. Wanted to share something. Walmart has these 2 oz plastic dressing containers that squeeze. I mixed up chia seeds, agave nectar, water, and salt (should have added a little lemon) today and stuck in my spi belt. Worked well.
2014-08-16 4:44 PM
in reply to: #5038492

User image

Hi All,

did my 3rd sprint tri this season. I finished in 1hour 33mins, I reached my goal of beating 1h 35min, improved my time by 16mins comparing to first triathlon 2months ago and did a great 15min 6sec swim - was second in my wave and overtook about 10people from previous wave (that started 5mins earlier). What a great day it was.

Full RR coming soon.
2014-08-16 6:24 PM
in reply to: drtroll

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Nice job on your sprint.

Ya I picked up a few pounds on vacation too 8(. My mom had 2 or 3 deserts per day in the house including smores pizza, icecream pie, brownie chocholate chip cookie thing, baverian cream fudge donuts, hotfudg sundays with real hot fudge, etc. Back to no chocholate...

It was wharmish today 90F, I hit the hill of pain again 10.6 miles 2000 feet of elevation gain took me 1:01:19, So 6 minutes faster than last week. Then I hit the backside of the hill which is 2000 feet elevation gain in 6 miles 53 min. ugg, hill climbing takes a wee bit of mental toughness. LMLT gona be tough. I have 2 build weeks then taper lol.

Group is doing great btw, everyone doing some really impressive stuff. It looks like a good time to look at what you were doing 1 year ago and how far you have come since then. Sometimes we don't take enough credit for what we have done because we are so future focused.
2014-08-16 11:10 PM

User image

SOUTH WINDSOR, Connecticut

Where was I a year ago?

I.C.U.- recovering after a heart attack. I had a clogged artery, the LAD (Left anterior descending) artery affectionately known at the "widow maker".
I was 260 lbs and not very active.

A year later..  I have lost 70 pounds (ok, maybe not quite that much since I just finished vacation...) and have completed 5 sprint tri's and a century bike ride.

I will schedule a few more "goals" to keep me on track.  A few 5k's this year and looking to do one or two Olympic distance tri's in 2015 - will see what 2016 brings after that.

Steve - real good to look back and see how far one has come..    I am looking forward to your conquering of LMLT!

Phil - have fun at the wedding. Good for you renting the bike and training while away. I really like the aero bars. I did a few rides local (a lot of lights / traffic) but was able to get them comfortable. On the long ride worked very well. Great to be able to stretch out and get off my hands. Really glad I added them.

Mike - hope you are feeling better. Sucks to be sick.. (ok, reading further, see you are better).

drtroll - nice job on the PB and beating your tri time! Keep it up...

Jay - still keeping you in our thoughts and prayers.

Carol- good luck with your decisions. Some times no decision is a decision..  Hope things work out for you.

Isabella - nice to get out and run with your husband. How did the analysis go?

2014-08-17 7:34 AM
in reply to: Dennis B

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Dennis -- what a year! that is awesome!

A year ago today I was out on the bike course at Timberman 70.3 in NH. Will be back there next year, no doubt!

Good run today - bit over 4 miles, and one I warmed up, I felt great. the first 1 mile or so was awful, but once things loosened up, away I went. As I get older I'm seeing the need for a real 'warm up' before I start running. Need to start incorporating that into the routine.

2014-08-17 4:04 PM
in reply to: Mike_D

User image

Master
Maryland
Wow, this group is accomplishing some great things! Dennis your one year journey from heart attack to triathlete is very inspiring! Talk about reaching high! I like how you are throwing goals out too. Congratulations and much respect to you!

Mike, I am glad to see you are feeling better and getting back at it!
2014-08-18 10:24 AM
in reply to: Terps421

Blairstown, NJ
Pam - Nice run and I too like the advantages of being able to keep up with my 14yo daughter. Some days she is pacing me but more often I am pushing her, at least on land .

Dennis - Awesome journey. Nice century ride. Keep it up!

Jay - My best to you and your family. There are somethings in life that just need to be done. God bless and know that you might not see it now but there is a plan.

Mike - Another step toward IMLP....

Steve - Not sure how much more mental toughness you can work in. Not sure how ideal my nutrition is set up for the race in a few weeks here (Shoreman 1/2) so I could use some feedback here. I tried Perpetuim, think that is how it is spelled, and digested fine but was probably not nearly enough calories for me on a 57 mile ride. I just finished a 61 mile ride Saturday on 2 powerbars and a gatorade,plus water. How does 2 power bars fit into how many calories are needed on a 4 hour ride? I also have taper in the back of my mind but have at least another week to start thinking too much about that. Thanks

On the mental toughness, I have begun to feel I let myself slip some this year. We were away at Atlantic City for a few days and I picked up a shirt with the saying "Run or get Run over". I like the toughness it exemplified. Well after doing 61 miles on the bike for the first time on Saturday, I needed a bit of mental toughness and that saying really pulled me through on the Sunday run. I had some help as my wife was urging me to get Bianca out for a run. Bianca was ready mentally but had trouble on the trail, cramps and tight muscles, so we had to call it early. I was glad to get out though because I did work through the first mile or so troubles to feel like I would be in a position to finish better than I started. Got to check out the area where my race is and I have a room booked so it is becoming that much more real. Caught between what did I do and can't wait till race day!
2014-08-18 10:41 AM
in reply to: Tri-solar

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Originally posted by Tri-solar
Caught between what did I do and can't wait till race day!

Perfect place to be!

Getting ready for San Fran trip, then hopefully hit the mental reset button and figure out our goals and next steps job wise and otherwise.
2014-08-18 7:28 PM
in reply to: squirt

User image

Sunday - 5 mile walk (health walk) post vacation to get moving again.

Today - 17+ mile ride, avg 15+ mph, only a little over 300 ft of elevation..  overall pretty flat.

Squirt - have fun on your trip.

Mike - same here, I need to warm up quite a bit.

Tri-Solar - best of luck! you will do awesome....

All, thanks for the kudos!

2014-08-19 6:59 AM
in reply to: Tri-solar

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts

Jay - My best to you and your family. There are somethings in life that just need to be done. God bless and know that you might not see it now but there is a plan.

Steve - Not sure how much more mental toughness you can work in. Not sure how ideal my nutrition is set up for the race in a few weeks here (Shoreman 1/2) so I could use some feedback here. I tried Perpetuim, think that is how it is spelled, and digested fine but was probably not nearly enough calories for me on a 57 mile ride. I just finished a 61 mile ride Saturday on 2 powerbars and a gatorade,plus water. How does 2 power bars fit into how many calories are needed on a 4 hour ride? I also have taper in the back of my mind but have at least another week to start thinking too much about that. Thanks

Joe, thanks to you and everyone for the kinds thoughts and prayers sent to me and my family. It is appreciated.

I'm sure Steve will chime in with nutrtion advice but I actually have a small notebook of wisdom that Steve has given to this and other groups.......and within this notebook is a nutrtion section :D Steve's recommended nutrition by calories: Run 200-250 calories per hour, Bike 300-350 calories per hour. The only thing that he may have given in the past that I've failed to write down is how much fluid intake you should try to achieve per hour. Hope that helps

2014-08-19 7:23 AM
in reply to: medeiros13

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Pam - thanks for the container tips

Dennis - really inspirational, that you can start at any point and make real progress to become a triathlete. Concerned about your needing treatments again. Hope all works out. Have you shared your story on other treads?

drtroll - terrific progress for one season.

Carol - sounds like some good things await you and hubby.

Went on a short vaca to Cape Cod and didn't get in the workouts I wanted. Didn't really take the time, did more passive/aggressive complaining that family wasn't "giving" me any time for myself... got a trail ride in on my hybrid bike - wow is it heavy!

Feeling strong about biking and running for a sprint, but my swimming is not coming along - I know that I am not putting in enough time. Struggling with swimming 100 yds. So many things to remember about my stroke. Not sure I can do the 800 yds for a Sept. sprint.

Mitzi
2014-08-19 7:58 AM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

User image

Morning run = 5.3 miles, my longest run to date.

Funny, it felt slow... afterwards looking at Strava - didn't do too bad

PB on 5k

PB on 2 mile

Overall 14:41 / mile with a pretty good sized hill in there.

Jay - We're supposed to take notes...  :-o 

Mitzi - no, I haven't shared much on other threads on BT,  Mostly here. I have been keeping things on a personal blog, just haven't done much with it lately. Kind of in a funk....  - I am sure your swimming will come along nicely once you put in the time.

TIME = This I Must Earn

Everyone have a GREAT day!

-Dennis

2014-08-19 8:10 AM
in reply to: medeiros13

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by medeiros13

Joe, thanks to you and everyone for the kinds thoughts and prayers sent to me and my family. It is appreciated.

I'm sure Steve will chime in with nutrtion advice but I actually have a small notebook of wisdom that Steve has given to this and other groups.......and within this notebook is a nutrtion section :D Steve's recommended nutrition by calories: Run 200-250 calories per hour, Bike 300-350 calories per hour. The only thing that he may have given in the past that I've failed to write down is how much fluid intake you should try to achieve per hour. Hope that helps

Joe

did not see your inquiry on nutrition mine is pretty close to above Bike: 1 gel every 30 mins + 30-40 Oz. Perform every hour. = 300-320 Cals, Run = 1 gel every 45 mins + 1 cup gatorade every mile = 200 cals/ hr. and all throughout the event take all the water i need.

Goodluck on your first 70.3 your logs tells your ready

Cheers!!!
2014-08-19 9:56 AM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Dennis - sorry you are in a funk - I understand. So many have been where you were and felt unable to take a first step to fitness. If you get around to it I think you will inspire a lot of people. Being BEGINNER Triathlete I've seen quite a few overweight or just unhealthy people sign up and then disappear.
2014-08-19 11:08 AM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

Blairstown, NJ
Jay - Thanks! Something told me I might need more calories and sure looks like it.

Carl - Glad you think I am ready. I am sure my run volume is not good but from early on I was ready to run/walk if necessary to complete this race. Not sure I can stomach that many gels though. Thanks

Mitzi - Your progress is amazing. You have found what works for you so keep on your journey.

Went back to my new favorite LBS. They were not ready to install the new stem and chain so had to leave the bike. I need to do some more running anyway . I started talking about nutrition though and the guy made some nice suggestions. He even went so far as to hand me some product off the shelf to try out (Skratch Labs drink mix, and Stinger bar). This blew me away because I could never see the other LBS doing that. So a shout out to Sussex Bike Shop. My stomach handles the Powerbars well so I plan on sticking with that, just upping qty to meet calorie needs, and if the Skratch labs works then I will probably go with that.

2014-08-19 4:12 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Joe, if we say your swim takes meh 40-45 minutes and your T1 + bike takes meh 4 hours and t2 + run takes 2:30.... That is roughly 7:15:00 give or take. So 1 Gu before the swim, then 4x(300-350/hour) calories on the bike 1200-1400 and 2.5x 200 = 500 calories on the run = a total of 1800 calories for your HIM. You took in 410 to 500 calories on the bike which brings you to the first mile of the run at a 1000 calorie deficit which means you will completely die on the run and walk most if not all of it independent of your training. This was a really good question to ask as your day would have been toast. Powerbars are tough to eat when breathing hard and perpendium or other mixes can be doubled or trippled. I use a tripple thick mixture of Infinate for 1200 calories per bottle. One bottle for a HIM bike, two bottles for a IM bike. Then the run is 1 gel per 30 min. You need to take water with your thickened perpendium and with your gu so your stomach doesn't take blood away from your muscles for digestion. In moderate temps say 75F you want 18 oz of water per hour on the bike, but if it is mid 90s F or more you could be up to double that and if it is cool 50 to 65 you may be at only 10 oz of water per hour on the bike.

Make sure your food sources have salt and potasium to avoid dehydration from sweating and cramping.

Edited by Baowolf 2014-08-19 4:18 PM
2014-08-20 1:58 AM
in reply to: #4997711

User image

Steve - interesting post about food intake

whats the general rule for olimpic distance?
2014-08-20 8:16 AM

Blairstown, NJ
Steve - That would be an excellent race day! On a good day I think I could hit that but doing it all on one day.... well Samantha's info on your suggestion to bike long, run long on back to back days has inspired me to get some attitude back. I could feel after my last long bike that finishing was good and I had some energy but an hour or so later it was like life was sucked out of me. Figured it was more nutrition related. Thanks. Eating powerbars can be difficult as you say but it seems to sit better than the perpetuem. Not sure I have a local Infinit supplier and the website has options to customize. Would you recommend the :Go Far formula?

Carol - Enjoy your trip and bike riding.

Dennis - Thanks for the support. Your story is quite inspirational.

Mike - Timberman next year.. it would be great to join you. See how I handle my first HIM.

Pam - Thanks for the homemade nutrition info. I got a new more powerful nutribullet this year. I blend in beets, carrots, cellery, frozen strawberry's avacado, gauva juice, and maybe some other stuff. I credit that for having such a strong run yesterday.

Yes I ran yesterday with my daughter and it worked out to be a nice 6 miles. It is really nice to have the company even if our paces are not really synched yet. We have been using the trail which is extra nice, easier on the feet and cooler under the trees riverside. This month is working out to be a big month, thank you all for the inspiration. Race day T- 16days.....
2014-08-20 3:54 PM
in reply to: #5041517

User image

steve - just one more question on tapering before the race. i have started my peak time and doing lots of training but end of my training schedule falls 3 weeks after my first oly. how should I adjust tapering not to be to tired (in my last weeks sprint my swim was excellent but bike was tough and run was even worse - my legs were really heavy and I dont want to have the same feeling on my big day)
please help
2014-08-21 12:13 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Nutrition rules are the same for all distances. If your race is going to take more than 90 minutes, you need to start eating between 45 min to 60 minutes. Same ratios 300-350 on bike 200-250 on run. So 2 hour race = minimum of around 300 calories (at 45 min, 1:15: and 1:45). To fine tune it you would look at how long you are going to be on the bike. Even for a 90 minute race you might feel better in those last 10 minutes if you take a gu around 45-60 minutes. Best to practice this in your workouts.

So for me during an IM bike, I can individually open 24 gel packets and not drop any trash on the course.... or I can drink 2 bottles of calorie mixed Infinite. You can tape gels to your top tube with electrical tape, but it can be complicated. As we don't think so well during races that are long... it is best to keep things as simple as you can. It is also important to try all this stuff out long before race day so you can play with it and see how your stomach handles it. One of the main reason to do a brick run after a long bike is to see how your nutrition and hydration has set you up to have your body jump up and down without feeling sloshy, under caloried or over caloried.

Infinit is an online purchase, I run calories, salt and potassium at max, flavor at lowest, no protein as I race in hot weather and triple my mix (triple flavor can be bad). But you want to try it before race day.

You can take a 2 1/2 to 3 week taper on a HIM. I did a 2 week taper that was just not quite enough time for me once. So I am not sure exactly what your question is... if you do an Oly 3 weeks before your HIM, you take 2 days easy/off then follow the rest of the last three weeks of taper to race day. I don't have permission to look at your logs so I can't see how ready you are for a HIM.

If I misread your question, try to restate it for me.

2014-08-21 8:33 AM
in reply to: #5041754

User image

thx steve for the nutrition advice. regarding tapering - im currently doing sprint to oly training plan and i have just started the peak phase of training. I have my first olympic distance tri on the 6th of Sept and it falls still in my peak phase of training as my training plan ends 3weeks later (from couple of reasons had to move my Oly to earlier date). After this oly I dont have any races this year. The question is how many days before my race should start tapering and how much should I reduce training volume to be in the best form
My HIM is coming next year
2014-08-21 9:57 AM

User image

Nice conversation guys. Learning a lot..  Thanks!

Yesterday - day off, bowling in evening. End of summer season, we finished third out of 15 teams.

This morning 10+ mile bike, tried to keep it slower - pacing myself - uh....  didn't work out too well.  Kept trying to go faster. Avg speed 14.2 mph, 512 ft of elevation.

Was REALLY trying to keep slower / lower HR.  Will do a longer bike ride this weekend.  Need to get in the pool soon.

Question - Since I am trying to lose weight I track my food / calories.  My Garmin (Forerunner 110 w/ heart rate strap) and Strava (on phone) get two different calories burned numbers. Do I go with the lower number which is typically Strava and keep the calories low? Do I use the Garmin number as it is monitoring my HR?

For this mornings ride, the numbers are 100 calories different.  Strava says I burned 436 Garmin connect says 542.  Longer rides / runs the difference is greater.

I want to keep a calorie deficit to lose weight, just not so great that I under fuel?

What are your experiences? What would you do?

Thanks,

-Dennis

2014-08-21 10:40 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
For an Oly something like a 3 to 4 day taper is fine.

Devices that calculate calories burned are natoriously bad at it. I just calculate 100 calories per mile on the run and 500 calories per hour on the bike and swim. However if you are working out at least 6 hours a week, it is your calories in that has the largest impact on weight loss, the workouts give you some forgiveness for eating a bit too much, increase your muscle to fat ratio which results in more general calorie burning over time and allows you to run 6 miles with your son without collapsing. As long as you trend towards good food choices and trend to more exercize you should be good. Sometimes obsessing on 50 calories here or there can cause frustration and regression to hotfudge sundays.
2014-08-22 5:59 AM

Blairstown, NJ
Dennis - When I started it was in large part to reduce BP (bloodpressure) and get healthier. I was taking pills for the BP which made it difficult to loose weight and killed my HR. Anyway through the journey I counted calories for a while and probably lost about 30 lbs through diet and exercise. Never did pay too much mind to the burned calorie count because as Steve says there was too much variabliity in numbers. As you research, you will find that it also varies person to person depending on other things like body type. I no longer count calories and probably gained about 10 lbs but I am ok with it because like your concern, I noticed a lower energy trying to keep the calories too low. At 6'3" 230, I still take meds for the BP but I know I am much better of than 3-4 years ago.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  

of 30

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.