BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 30

2014-08-22 3:47 PM
in reply to: Tri-solar

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN)
Dennis very good topic. I think Steve and Joe have answered pretty well for you. Our New Year's resolution group did some dieting and 1 thing that Steve did that was a pretty good idea was taking 1 item out of his diet per month. If my memory is correct, chocolate and soda were 2 items eliminated during the first 3 or 4 months.

My feelings on diet have been pretty consistent....you need to do what works for you. I've done a low carb diet with some success and I know Mitzi has as well. The hard part about low carb dieting is to avoid the lethargic feeling you can get if you're training too intensely. My answer to that has been carb cycling...I have carbs pre workout (2 choc rice cakes with PB has been my typical), and post workout....other than that, I try to keep carbs to a minimum with veggies and/or berries. I've switched to banana babyfood in packets as my running fuel of choice...replacing gels. I'm still getting carbs but I'd rather get natural sugars from bananas (plus potassium benefits) vs. HFCS found in gels. I'm still low carb but I'm not ultra low carb....the adjustments I've mentioned above have helped make things better for me. I know a number of people who swear by a Paleo diet. If you don't want to be that structured...then stick with Steve's method of making good choices. We know what is healthy and not healthy....make good decisions and that should help with weight loss. I also highly recommend not weighing yourself often; I prefer to go by how clothing is fitting me. You could be doing a great job of transforming your body but the scale can show no weight loss....and that can derail some people.

I made the decision that I'm not going to try the HIM. It kills me not to try it and I keep going back and forth but its the best choice for me right now. There are lots of emotions I have with this but I don't think I can articulate them well enough right now.

2014-08-23 1:25 AM
in reply to: medeiros13

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Jay, I will worry about you less if you do a HIM when better trained. I know it sucks, but it is the choice I would make in your shoes.
2014-08-23 11:25 AM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Jay -- Sorry about the race, but its probably for the best.

So let me thrown this out to you --- Join me at Patriot HIM next June!! Registration opens in November. Not far from you (or me) and it is always a fun race. And its still 10 months away. Let's do this!!!
2014-08-23 12:05 PM

User image

Master
Maryland
Jay there are plenty of races in the future. No big deal there. I like your use of the baby food packs while racing. Do they give you enough energy to sustain you? I don't like to take in a lot of fuel while racing but I know I need to and have not found my favorite go to item. Happy weekend everyone! Back to school here in Maryland and I will see my new 5th grade students on Monday : )
2014-08-23 12:31 PM
in reply to: Terps421

User image

SOUTH WINDSOR, Connecticut

Just popped in to post a few pics... Lol..  Rough day today. "REAL" mountain biking...

Jay - Prayers going out...

Patriot HIM?  Hmmm  that is in my back yard - well just a bit north.  Was only going to do Olympic length next year.  May give this some thought?

Be back later, all have a great day!  Get out there!

(right leg-1.jpg)

(left leg-1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
right leg-1.jpg (61KB - 3 downloads)
left leg-1.jpg (61KB - 4 downloads)
2014-08-23 1:29 PM
in reply to: #5041949

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Plenty of time to get ready, Dennis! Those are some nasty wounds!

Good run today. Can feel it getting better every time.

2014-08-23 4:12 PM
in reply to: Dennis B

User image

Denis_B - some nasty wounds... I started road cycling couple of months ago and I don't think I'm going to start mountain biking soon... I just like the smooth tarmac I suppose, and I'm a bit of a chicken too...

Surprised myself today. Did 2.8km OWS, link to my results below.
2 laps of 1.4 km

1st lap: 26:29.4
2nd lap: 29:19.0

Total: 55:48.4

The best thing is that I could go for third lap no problem, didn't feel to much tired, HR seemed to be ok (pity I didn't take HR monitor). Hope will have same time in my first Oly in 2 weeks.

http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/572053693
2014-08-23 6:51 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Jay, so sorry that you will miss the HIM but it really sounds like the best thing for you and your family. I know it still hurts and sucks but it's the right decision. Think you should join Mike then we can all cheer for both of you.

Dennis, ouch! Heal. Tegraderm if you need.

Mitzi, wow you are HAWT! Love the new profile pix.

DrTroll, amazing OWS swim. That is absolutely awesome.

Carol, total jealous of your trip but so happy that you and hubby are getting some downtime.

Joe, didn't realize it was your first HIM. Yay, can't wait to stalk...I mean track you.

Odd day. We had our annual 8K race (with a 5K and 3K) which is off road and is kickoff for middle and high school XC training. The RD finally got his water obstacle and we ran thru a small pond twice. Different and kinda fun. Since I needed more miles today, I went early and did 5 miles before the race and then the race. Planned to do 2 miles afterwards but didn't because of what happened my 2nd loop of the race. A truck came by (closed course) and someone said a runner was hurt. I got there as the truck arrived and it was a man that I work with that had gone down HARD. I stopped to help and speak to him but there was lot of assistance so I went on but head was definitely out of the game. At the finish line, I saw the truck with Mike in the back. Grabbed water and Gatorade for him and went to check on him. He ended up breaking his leg! I am not lying. Totally freaked me out. Be careful everyone.

Edited by Pink Socks 2014-08-23 6:59 PM
2014-08-23 7:47 PM
in reply to: Pink Socks

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Dennis heal up watch those wounds for infection as and such as you start to mend. How many stitches looks like 25 ish.

Long day today, I started my bike ride with 200 oz of water which weighs 13 ish pounds. I was not going to be within 30 miles of a house, store, etc. So it was a 100 mile ride with 7 x 2.5 mile hill repeats on a 400 foot gain hill. Tired. Tahoe gona be rough, but glad I got some more hill work in. By the way I got a new saddle the Adamo Attack. I am very happy with it. Just for info Adamo saddles are used by men and women, same model. Naptime.
2014-08-23 8:23 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
How do you fit 200 oz of water on your bike?? Awesome ride!
2014-08-24 12:44 AM
in reply to: Mike_D

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
NeverReach =64oz, aerobottle 16+28, downtube bottle 24, camelback only put in 68 oz, but could have put in another 32 if it were hot 8). It did make bunny hopping the railroad tracks more difficult than expected though.

2014-08-24 7:01 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Nice ride this AM but I have to say it was kind of cold out there on the roads. A twinge of fall in the air, I'd say. Still pretty awesome to ride by the ocean in the early morning and see the beauty of it all. Next time I head out, I'm going to need to suit up a bit more. Trainer season is just around the corner....

Im impressed with your camel-like abilities, Steve!
2014-08-24 2:11 PM

User image

yes, quite chilli out there in the morning. started today at 6.30am and was very happy I took full winter gloves as it was freezing...:/

anyway, did 67km, average speed 25km/h, happy

http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/572351385
2014-08-24 9:50 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Just for your information. During my volunteering at IM Boulder folks wanted salt (for dehydration) and potassium (for cramps). Gels have around 35 mg of each and most on the course nutrition is similar. But if you want lots of salt 1 oz of pretzels has 10x the salt of a Gu. If you want potassium a banana has 10x the potassium of a Gu. However you probably do not want to eat a banana every 30 min on the course and pretzels are hard to choke down if you are already dehydrated. If you go with non standard gu/powerbar/infinite/powder something, then you need to supplement with salt/potassium tabs if it is hot... or eat bananas and pretzels. 1 oz of pretzels has as much salt as 10 gels or 180 ounces of potato chips. Please don't eat 180 ounces of potato chips ever 30 minutes 8).

Long week, 37 miles run, 200 miles on the bike and 10400 yards swimming. Next week is last build week before taper, that went quick. I may hit a lap or two of Tahoe's bike course next Sat if I can find the time. Oh and I will be out of town most of next week (yay out of town for biggest build week sigh. So if I don't chime in it is cuz the hotel is charging too much for internet.

Edited by Baowolf 2014-08-25 1:54 AM
2014-08-25 10:35 AM

Blairstown, NJ
Linda - Have fun with the new school year!

Dennis - Ouch! Hope you did not have far to go after that.

Mike - I looked at the Partiot again, as I soon will be a HIM finisher hopefully. It looks like a very nice race. How is the weather typically?

Steve - One thing about Jersey, one does not have to worry about finding a place to fill up. Heck, I even had port-a-johns appear at just the right moments.

Jay - I like your idea about using food as nutrition but this year, I think I will stick with what seems to work. I might have mentioned I have a nutribullet and I will blend all kind of things together. It works out very nicely.

Pam - You all will be on my mind during the race. Thanks.

Final 2 weeks before race day. Steve, I would be glad for your inputs on taper plan before the 9/6 HIM. I was figuring 5 more runs (2or3 3-4miles and 2 4-6miles), 4 more bikes (2 10-20 miles and 2 20-40 miles), and probably 2-3 more swims (9/2 and 9/3 due to pool availability). Yesterday I went for a long run 9.65 miles and it went pretty well. Pace was about 12:09 overall with a tough hill miles 6 and 7 where I did most of the walking. Not the best run shape I have been in but like where I am at, considering, for my 1st HIM. I really feel the bigger hurdle is coming where I get off the bike and realize there is 13.1 to go. I am preparing myself mentally for Run or Get Run Over!
2014-08-25 11:49 AM
in reply to: Tri-solar

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Joe -- go out there and crush it on the HIM!

Patirot weather is usually pretty good for racing. Its always held mid June (Saturday before Father's Day) and its always good. Not too hot, or too cold. Hasn't rained the past 3 years, either. C'mon up and join us. Plenty of inexpensive hotels around.

MD

2014-08-25 1:06 PM

User image

Happy Monday!

Back out and on the bike (road) today. Felt good. 10 miles 14.8 mph average, not bad. Yesterday was yard work and more yard work, then family get together for SIL birthday.

Thanks for the well wishes.. No stitches, just a few small gashes and some road rash.  I "fell" quite a few times. My ego wouldn't let me stop. My wife said she would have quit after the first fall. I don't get that. The worse was going over the handlebars and knowing (waiting) for the bike to crash on me..  which it did. Hit my back and side of my head, just under the helmet.

We went on a 7 mile loop of a very progressive mountain bike area. I have never seen so many rocks. Now I need to get the rear derailleur fixed (skipping) before I try it again.

Jay - how are things going? Keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

drtroll - nice swim! - really impressive!! Great job on the bike too.

Mike - keep pushing the Patriot HIM, may get a good group attending. I am still "thinking" about it. Need to discuss with better half first, before committing.

Pink - doing an extra 5 miles before the race...  you rock! Sorry about your co-worker. Hope they get well quick.

Steve - how did you carry all that water? (just found your answer) A 100 mile ride with hill repeats. Nice! Keep up the building on your trip, truly motivational - you will rock the IM!

Joe - will keep saying it - good luck on the HIM! You sound ready to go.

(bike-08252014.PNG)

Attachments
----------------
bike-08252014.PNG (20KB - 2 downloads)
2014-08-26 12:50 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Joe, your swim is ok, bike is ok, run is lite... so you are going to have to just stay in Z2 all day keep it comfortable and there may be some walking, that's ok. Ideally you would want more distance in all 3 sports but really in run. That said you can finish this, stay smart, stay hydrated and take in enough calories.

Here is my taper:
2 weeks out R 3.5, 3.5, 2, 7 Bike 18, 18, 10, 50, Swim 2400, 1900, 1500
Week before race Run 2.5, 3, Bike 12, 7, Swim 1400, 800.

So for you The long run should probably be 5 miles 2 weeks out long bike 35 miles and swims subtract 500 from the week 2 swims. Race week is fine to keep the same. Your training plan should have taper totals. You won't gain any fitness between now and race day, so just glide down to the race.
2014-08-26 12:50 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Steve

August is ending and time flies so fast its close to 8 months before my first IM. Two months from now i start my official training for IM im getting nervous though. Just need to ask two things:

1.) Which is more beneficial to IM Training a Half Iron or Century Ride?

2.) There are alot of Guys here doing Full Aquabikes 3-4 weeks before IM. I am just thinking out loud theres a full Aquabike 7 weeks before IMTX. The price for the Aquabike Full and Full Distance are the same. The road is flat and not hot (March at Florida) .Would it be ok if just go for the Full Distance and on teh run leg just walk it not even jog just 16-17 min/mile just to make sub 17 hrs. cutoff.? or not advisable being too close to IMTX?

Thanks in advance bro!!

Goodluck and Godbless to IMLT!!!

Carl

2014-08-26 1:43 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Carl... don't do an IM to train for an IM. This year CDA was roughly 13 weeks before IMLT. I am really struggling to get recovered in time for IMLT in 13 weeks, with a thick base. I certainly could not do an IM 7 weeks after doing an IM.

A HIM is good practice for pacing, hydration, nutrition, often ok about 7 weeks out from an IM, but will cost you 2 weeks of recovery.

A century ride is a good thing, do like 6 of them before your IM and you will be in solid shape for the bike. Recovery from a century ride is like 12 hours, you can go on a long run the next day.

Full Aquabike say 7 weeks out could be ok, but even walking 26 miles afterwards will smoke you. I personally would just swim 2.5 miles on Friday, bike 112 miles on Saturday and run 16 miles on Sunday instead of the Aquabike, but if it is fun and you want to do it no harm, but not in the last 3 weeks before an IM, you need some recovery time, 6-7 weeks out should be fine.
2014-08-26 5:11 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by Baowolf

Carl... don't do an IM to train for an IM. This year CDA was roughly 13 weeks before IMLT. I am really struggling to get recovered in time for IMLT in 13 weeks, with a thick base. I certainly could not do an IM 7 weeks after doing an IM.

A HIM is good practice for pacing, hydration, nutrition, often ok about 7 weeks out from an IM, but will cost you 2 weeks of recovery.

A century ride is a good thing, do like 6 of them before your IM and you will be in solid shape for the bike. Recovery from a century ride is like 12 hours, you can go on a long run the next day.

Full Aquabike say 7 weeks out could be ok, but even walking 26 miles afterwards will smoke you. I personally would just swim 2.5 miles on Friday, bike 112 miles on Saturday and run 16 miles on Sunday instead of the Aquabike, but if it is fun and you want to do it no harm, but not in the last 3 weeks before an IM, you need some recovery time, 6-7 weeks out should be fine.

Steve

Well said bro, Very good advice up there i think i got my nutrition dialled in . I am not doing any HIMs 6 months into IM and not a slow IM like you said. I see your 2.5/112/16 is a good idea ill place it in my TP.

Thanks alot bro!!!

Again looking forward to IMLT for you! very tough course lot of rumors going on here if IMLT does not sell well this year might just end up a 70.3 only. Whatever you decide bro

2014-08-26 9:27 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Hello all,

This morning did a 4.2 mile run (jog)...  Started real slow, went well over all, still did PR's for 2 mile and 5K.

On another, more personal note....

I have been fighting with infections over the past 2 years..  I have been diagnosed with CVID - Hypogammaglobulinemia. In plain English - I do not have an immune system.  This is a side effect of a chemo drug (Rituximab) I was on for Burkitts Lymphoma 3 years ago..  Seems like this S#!T never ends... I have had an inflamed lung and chronic sinusitis for quite some time. Constantly coughing and getting rid of crap.

I start immune globulin injections tomorrow. These will continue weekly for the rest of my life. I hinted around to stuff prior. Just letting people know where I am at.  I may get up early tomorrow and hit the pool first. dunno...

Not sure how this will affect me overall - hope to get "better" (no infections) and have more energy going forward..

I will star up my journal again, can read more on my personal blog..  Hope to post after tomorrow's appointment.

Talk soon..  be well, train hard!

-Dennis

P.S. signed up for the Hartford Marathon 5k on October 11th. So I got that going for me

XX

2014-08-27 5:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Dennis, so sorry! It is very discouraging for you, I know, because you feel like it's one thing after another. But Man, you are tough, tough, tough, tough! Look at all you have overcome. Hopefully these injections will help and in a few weeks/months you will wonder why you thought it was going to affect you negatively. Hugs to you and your family and prayers to you.
2014-08-27 5:46 AM
in reply to: Pink Socks

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Dennis, I can't add much more to what Pam said except I'm sorry you're going through this. You may already know this but I did a quick search for natural ways to boost your immune system and found this. http://www.prevention.com/food/healthy-eating-tips/power-foods-boos...

My wife is the medical professional in my family but I've always thought that exercising is a great way to staying healthier....so catching the tri bug has probably been excellent for you as well. If you end up needing to take medication daily, there is another person in our group that has to take medication daily....I suspect they would be a person that would understand what you're up against better than most.
2014-08-27 5:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
I missed 2 posts from maybe a week or so back.

Mike: I'm pretty sure that doing my first HIM where I grew up would be a perfect jumpstart I plan on making that jump with you as long as life doesn't get in the way during the next few months.

Linda: My banana baby gel is a recent experiment so I don't have full results yet.....but if you don't use anything for fueling and go to that...i'd imagine it'd help you What I do have full results are is using chia gel. For Boston, I used Chia gel along with natural honey and sea salt and I never cramped during my race (despite the 90 degree weather I raced in) The downside to my gel is that I've had to empty a 12oz bottle of agave nectar (the plastic, taller, thinner one) and then wear basketball style shorts on race day to have a deep enough pocket to carry it. I also swear by coconut water.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  

of 30

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.