BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 30

2014-11-10 11:52 PM
in reply to: Pink Socks

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN)
Grats on the mary mania. This group has a family plan, spouses can post here if they want or send me PMs no problem. Group is getting as much done in the offseason as in tri season.

Jay, ya you can't really get better at the run, without running. You can build general arobic fitness, but to run fast you have to run fast. No shortcuts in life.

So the stump is finally out. I burned it for 14 hours on Saturday which included cutting down several dead trees and pruning all the dead branches on trees and then the spare wood from some housing projects, etc., Stump was fine after all that, but did get it moved. Boy worked some muscles though odd angles under the stump with the axe standing in the mud. Work has been pretty busy, half way through 2nd class, will start slow build to base in 10 days or so.

2014-11-12 11:06 AM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

New user
Amazing posts from everyone, as always.

Last weekend was half-marathon weekend as well, but due to injury and lack of training in the last 2 months I changed it to a 5K. I wasn't even sure how I would do, but it went surprisingly well! In fact, it went so well that I got the green light from sports physio to begin running again...

I will not do a race report, but in a nutshell, it was cold, I did not PR (did not expect it) but it was tons of fun!
Cardio was not so bad, but it's been 3 days and I still cannot walk without cringing, much less climb down stairs ouch!

Son & daughter were also registered for the kids 1K, and my son came in 7th / 95 kids aged 4-12. (he is 8 y/o, all the kids who finished before him were older, 10-12 years old). He was 1st in his category. Daughter did really well too! I was a proud mama and it was a great family activity. After the race we stopped to buy fresh cheese and we had a big family brunch at home. Love it!

We expect snow any day now... can't believe it's mid-november
2014-11-12 2:04 PM
in reply to: isabella969

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Hi everyone! I just wanted to check in. I changed up my weekly routine a little bit due to Veterans Day being yesterday. Instead of doing a long run today (after my full body workout) I decided to do a medium run. I'm happy to report that I ran a sub 9 pace for almost 6.5 miles. The terrain was pretty flat but I'll still take it. I'm seeing a big improvement in my running and overall cardio and I'm pretty happy about it! I did fail on a lift on Tuesday that hurt my ego a little bit....but I have to realize as I do less lifting and more cardio my strength will decrease. I also did a little swimming after my run today and it went okay. I did one 700 yd swim and it was harder than I expected but its a big confidence booster knowing I'm almost at a half mile 7 months before my HIM.

I also have a few questions that have been popping up in the last month or so. I've noticed with my bike that even in my highest gear, I wish their was more resistance because I feel strong enough to go faster. Is there anything I can do to my bike to increase resistance or is this typical? Also, when I swim, I notice my first couple of hundred yards my upper back (kinda near my armpit) gets really sore and then it stops after 200 or 300 yards. I don't feel like I change my stroke at all so I'm at a loss.

Finally a quick brag. My son was acknowledged by the local school committee for having a perfect standard achievement test in Math! For those who are FB friends with me, you probably saw the picture of him getting his award. Not to be outdone, my daughter will be joining my son in the travel soccer circuit. I'm super proud of her because the last time she played she would run away from the ball.

Isabella: congrats to your kiddos! My kids want to try their elementary school 5K in May. I think my son will make it due to his improved cardio with soccer but I don't know about my daughter. I will say that my daughter has her father's gene of being very stubborn and a refusal to give in so that helps. Speaking of stubborn, I'm not sure you not being able to walk down stairs without pain is a good thing

Dennis: My friend Paul ended up passing of a rare form of stomach cancer. It really did a number on him....poor guy couldn't keep down food no matter what they tried until he finally passed.

Pam: Congrats on the PR for the Mary! And congrats to your hubby as well! So, what's next for you?

Carol: I like the idea of you training for something. You've been looking for awhile....I saw go for it. A funny thing happens when you train for something...you seem to get more efficient with everything in your life. I think training for Cowtown may help you settle in to your job.

Steve: I meant do all running and no biking but I think I know what you'll say to that.....you gotta train it to get better right
2014-11-12 2:46 PM
in reply to: medeiros13

User image

Alexandria, Virginia
Hey all, it's been a while but thought I'd check in. My neck thing went away as it usually does, but 2 weeks ago I hurt my knee badly, again in soccer (I'm having quite the injury-prone season if you recall). Landed weirdly on my right foot after taking a shot on goal, and felt my knee torque in a weird way, and crumpled to the ground. Couldn't walk normal for the first week, and now while I can walk, I still feel pain at the top outer part of my fibula, or near the PLC. Had to defer yet another half mary (was supposed to be this weekend). This is my second deferred half mary this year, the first coming from those stitches I got from soccer in the spring. I wanted to finish the year strong, but it's cool; doing my first HM and first HIM this year was enough success.

Hell of a season for me though. I've been pretty sedentary the last couple weeks, but I think I can get back into swimming, and I've been biking lightly on the bum knee with no issues. Today is my soccer team's season finale. I'll obviously be skipping today's game, and will sit out the winter season.

Btw, did anyone see the concert for valor yesterday? A vet got his legs blown off in Afghanistan, but ended up training to complete a half ironman on prosthetics! Inspiring

Someone mentioned getting a new bike earlier; I'm the type of guy who buys new bikes every few years (I'm an ultimate consumer and a sucker for marketing) and I just love researching bike tech. Aside from looking for the right fit, there's been lots of tech since 2000 and manufacturers can tweak everything from comfort to power transfer to aerodynamics. At the lower price range, find one that fits well and has characteristics you're after. Then depending on your budget there's new stuff coming out all the time: electronic shifting, direct-mount brakes, hydraulic brakes, road disc brakes, through-axles. All make me drool. However, not all stuff is expensive. Since 2000, you can find standard stuff like compact geometry, press-fit bottom brackets, and short reach drop bars. But I'm a nerd with a mechanical engineering background. Few people would be as interested in this stuff.
2014-11-13 12:52 AM
in reply to: phifatech

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Jay, what is the crank set on your bike, front cogs and back setup. Front may be 39 54 or it could be bigger. Back could be 11 25 or smaller. I don't start to spinout until around 37 mph a speed I could never hold on the flat unless I have a 40 mph tailwind. Basically the gearing indicates how hard you push to obtain your speed. What is your RPMs? If you are grinding at 65 rpms then drop down 3 gears and spin at 85 to 95 rpms. Then once you can hold that you can go up one and try to hold the same rpms.

Grats to all racers, PRs fast kids, smart kids etc. Oh well off to bed. Be safe out there. And heal up, ice, rest, walking, ice rest.
2014-11-13 4:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Steve, I have no idea what my settings are or how to find out. I bought the bike used from a co-worker a few years back. The fastest I've been able to go down a hill is about 35 MPH....I can't get much above mid 20's on a flat surface. Is there a quick way to get this info or should I ask my LBS when I bring it in?

2014-11-13 3:21 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
The number is the number of teeth in the gear. On the front it may say on the crank that it is a 34/54 or 39/60 or you can count the number of teeth. Also make sure you tell me if it is a double or a tripple. The Cogs also say on them how many teeth, but you can't always see it if you dont keep them clean. You only have to count the lowest and highest not the middle ones.
2014-11-13 6:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Thanks Steve, I think I found it. I counted 25 teeth and found Shimano 105 on my rear derailleurs. Based on that, I think this link is what I have on my bike.

http://www.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/us/index/pro...

I have no idea if this is bad, good, or indifferent.

Did a 13 miler today one day after doing 6.5 Not surprisingly, my pace was way down from yesterdays sub 9. I continue to do my "Pam course" as it is very hilly and is doing a number on my legs....I'm hoping that a race day course will seem easy compared to what I'm doing. Wish me luck tonight....another season of basketball begins with the draft in an hour. I was really happy that one of my players from last year got a perfect standard achievement score along with my son We all want to win with youth sports but I'll take the good kids over wins with bad kids any day!
2014-11-14 6:38 PM
in reply to: #4997711

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Hi everyone!

Jay - I signed up for Patriot HIM today. You doing this, too?? Still space! June 20, 2015.

Time for me to get moving!
2014-11-14 7:04 PM
in reply to: Mike_D

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Mike, WooHoo!. Join him Jay!

Steve, thank you so much your help to hubby. He really appreciates it as do I! You are spot-on as always.

Ok, I’m going to ask all of you about this. I think I know the answer but I’d like for anyone that wants to weigh in. At my mary, my paces were…
10:11 pace for 10K
10:22 pace for 13.1 (Only bathroom break, about 1.5 min)
11:14 pace for 20 mile
9:38 pace for the final 10K (Phenomenal for me- esp in last stages of mary)

Mile 18, I timed it and it was about 10mm. Mile 19 was about 9:30. So that means that mile 13.1 to mile 18 sucked royally. Horribly, terribly, completely, absolutely. So was it physical, nutritional, or mental? If you fall behind nutritionally, can it be “made up” to finish strong?

I’m very happy with my 15 min PR. And I’m thrilled that no one passed me after mile 19. But, because of the splits in the last 10K, it shows me I didn’t race well. Not complaining, just wanting to improve next time.
2014-11-15 7:49 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Just finished up an hour on the trainer, which is where I'll be the next few months, but that's fine - I need the work.

Looking forward to getting my butt moving the next few weeks before real HIM plan training kicks in mid January.

Time to take the dog for a walk. beautiful day here - 100% sun, but the temps are not going to hit over 40. Winter is coming......

2014-11-15 9:55 AM
in reply to: Mike_D

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Hey y'all!

Mike good to hear you are back at it.

Pam, I thought that fast last split in your mary was a good thing....no crash and burn at the end. But I can also see how you would feel that you maybe left something on the table. Maybe if you explain a bit more about how you felt in that "slow" section, Steve could lend some advice. I need to go read your race report.....probably there already.

Jay, is your front gear a triple or a double? I have a triple on mine, and have had similar issues on spinning out before I can get much MPH. I couldn't see the link you posted.

Phil, sounds like things are good for you! Glad to hear it!

Steve, glad you got a nice break...time to crank it up again.

Linda, how are you and your family doing?

Cowtown HM training is on. Ha, hubby has already signed up and I have not. Total role reversal!

So I gave notice at my job this week. With constant barrage of employees, family members, coworkers, residents, vendors, etc. in my office, and it not being acceptable to shut my door, let calls go to VM, or prioritize, the only choice is to work longer to get the job done. The corporate requirements are oppressive and nonsensical, pay is low, and turnover is incredibly high. Yay me, I'm the HR manager in addition to everything else, and keeping up with the revolving door is a full time job in itself. The other managers work absolutely crazy hours. After not quite a month on the job, I can see clearly that it is shaping up to be a 60+ hr/wk job as the norm, not the exception. I just cannot/will not do that. I've agreed to stay for at least the next month in order to leave well. I have no idea what's next, but it's NOT this.
2014-11-15 2:45 PM
in reply to: squirt

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Carol, oh Child, so sorry that the job didn't work out! I was hoping it was a idiot trainer that was cray-cray. I am so, so, so sorry!
2014-11-15 3:22 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Carol, it seems getting out of the craziness may be the best thing for you. The situation appears just outrageous, and keeping your sanity and enjoyment of things in life is far more important. Hope whatever is next if more suitable and not so nutty.
2014-11-15 7:07 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Carl need the big chainring on the front and small chainring on the back to know what your highest gear does for you. It is probably 11 or 12 in back and is probably 54 or 49 up front.

Carol it looks like you dug deep in the last 10k. Can't really say how things went for you nutritionally, what was your calories per hour etc. However, a 15 min PR on a mary is something to take some pride in. What was your target pace? You may have just picked a pace that is below what your fitness was.

Sorry about the job. Finding the right place to work is a huge part of your life, it is either something that gives meaning to your life or can be a massive stressor. Doors open and close, I hope this helps lead you to your next nitch. Prayers for you in your journey.

Miles 15 through 20 are the hardest for me in a marathon. First 13.1 rock, and last 6 are just going all in while trying to not lose too much off the pace.

Today I finally finished the stump project. The hole is filled in grass back over the top. Time to start getting back into training, heating up the pool as I write this. I continued to do my part for the drought by inviting rain, hail and snow into the area as I worked on the project.

Pam, no problem, he can hit me up anytime to chat about stuff. And you can still complain about him here 8) and he will never know..... unless he peaks that is.

Edited by Baowolf 2014-11-15 9:18 PM
2014-11-16 12:00 AM

User image

SOUTH WINDSOR, Connecticut

Hello All,

Another great week. Well, not totally, I am just choosing to focus on the positive. Another 5 workouts, decent pool workouts and plenty of running.
Today was the longest run yet - 9 miles. I had planned for 8 and pushed a bit more. A bit of walking which is OK.
This was the longest and coldest that I have ran. Still slow, that's fine. Speed will come.

November is shaping up to be on of the best training months ever.

Now, if only I could do this well with my career path.. 

Pam- loosing toe nails? that's not good... Hope it is healing well.

Steve - nice that you have the stump done. Now it's back to training [soon]- looking forward to your plan of action.

Isabella - awesome news from the doc to allow you to start running again. Kids are following their mom's foot steps..  really.

Jay - sorry to hear about your friend. Very tough to lose someone close. Congrats on your kids achievements too!

Phil - you may need to stay away from soccer and stay healthy.

Mike - woo hoo..  I need to sign up for the Patriot Half as well. Hope it doesn't sell out.. Next price increase is December 31st. Would love to see your training plan.

Squirt - sorry to hear the job didn't work out. There is always something else. As before - This too shall pass! Nice to see you have your boundaries set and are not willing to get run over.

Best,

-Dennis

2014-11-16 8:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Good morning everyone! I have the day off today to go to my wife's great Aunt's 90th Bday party this afternoon. I got in a 6 miler this morning and it went very well....8:43 pace for that distance. I haven't been that fast in over 2 years...so things are starting to come together nicely! I also had my first basketball practice yesterday and it seems like I have a nice group of kids. I was a little shocked that a parent that I know helped me out and was assertive with getting the kids in drills etc. I know him and he knew what he was doing but its been a solo show for two years.....I adjusted quickly and we worked well off each other We both preach fundamentals and supporting your teammates so we'll work out well.

Steve: I reread your post about my bike question. It appears from what you said, I have a pretty standard bike set up....not sure what else to say about it lol.

Carol: I have a double front cog. I'm happy to read that you and Kerry decided to train for Cowtown. As far as the job is concerned; you've said a number of times that you don't want to work a ton of hours....so if that environment wouldn't accept that request then you're better off leaving. Having worked in the corporate world before....I just don't know how you get away from 60+ in the finance industry unless you can get them to accept a day of work from home.

Phil: Tough soccer season man! May I suggest you stay away from soccer if you want to do another HIM or longer distance. I had to do that with basketball after my AT tear. I'll play if my prison puts together a team but my goal is a HIM and maybe a full IM for 2015....I don't need another AT tear or even a high ankle sprain to derail my training.

Mike: I'll sign up this Friday or Saturday. I was going to do it this week but kids expense got crazy....2 indoor soccer shoes, 2 clinics, XMas shopping...we all go though it but it all hit quickly for us. How's operation get moving going for you? We're getting some great running weather (assuming you have a nice long sleeve shirt/pants combo) to get in some miles without dying of overheating!

Dennis: Glad you're getting moving again. A quick question about your running....are you run/walking as a strategy or are you getting tired and walking to recover? I have some thoughts but I'd like to know that answer before I say more...don't want to give bad advice On the Patriot HIM, it usually sells out before the end of the year.....I missed out last year by waiting too long.

Edited by medeiros13 2014-11-16 8:06 AM
2014-11-16 9:40 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Dennis, glad the training is going well!

Steve (aka "stump be gone" man), sounds like you are ready to get back to training. Hopefully got some of the cold/wet stuff out of the way.

Mike, good that you signed up!

Jay....hmmm...was thinking you might have had a triple on the front like mine. Always the elusive question...is it the bike or is it me?

Pam, Steve's comment made me think about a section in Pfitzinger's book. Basically divides the marathon into 3rds mentally. Can't remember all the details, but might be worth a read for you if you feel it was more mental than physical.

Hubby & I are continuing to train for Cowtown. Only up to 4 miles on the longs, but at least both of us moving semi-regularly. Thanks for the support on the job thing. Yeah, no idea what's ahead. This job has very low pay....salaried position, which meant my true hourly rate is less than the receptionist's. I took it for the other perceived aspects, and in hopes that it would not be one of those 60+ hour a week corporate jobs. That did not pan out, so yes, onward. Hopefully can get something going during my 1 month notice period, but realistically it may stretch out more than that.
2014-11-16 6:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
So we may have 3 of our group from Patriots? Mike, Jay, Dennis. Oh boy that sounds like a great stalking weekend. And then we'll have Steve and Carl at IMTX, right? Yay!

Yep, Dennis, losing the toenails. I had gone thru several Mary's and never lost toenails. Then I did an ultra and it just kinda set the stage for my future. I have a sticker on my car that says "Toenails are for Sissies". People either die laughing when they see it or look puzzled and say, "I don't get it." The toenail lose this time is different (before the other was growing underneath it). Now some others look like they will come off the traditional way. So, looks like Soldier's cost me 3 toenails, maybe 4. Imagine what will happen after the 50K next month. Ugh.

Steve, thanks for the comment about your dark miles. I really think that is what happened to me. While I was feeling some pain twinges around mile 8 and I gave into the misery briefly around mile 15, I don't think the pain is what slowed me. As far as nutritionally, I felt pretty ok, and when I calculated things at mile 14, I was maybe an endurolyte pill short, nothing major. So I think that I let my mind control me for those slow miles. I didn't really have a target pace and was hoping for sub 4:30 which I got. But when I saw the final 10K pace, while thrilling, it made me feel like I tanked some of the time. Course if I had gone harder, I might have been one of those people crawling the last 10K. Typical woman, can't be happy, can I?

Carol, I need to get that book about breaking it into thirds. I break HM into thirds and it made all of the difference in the world to me (5 miles, 5 miles, and 5K). I need to see what they say about the mary. I've tried 10 miles, 10 miles, and 10K last Jan and it sucked. I really want to see what the book suggests. Thanks for suggesting.

Carol so sorry about the job but you WILL definitely find something quickly and easily. So many companies would be thrilled to have you. Before this one came up, you had a list of references and possibilities. Can you revisit those? I really admire you for quickly saying, "Enough". Hopefully the company will start realizing the awful rut that they are in and listen. If you have an exit interview, definitely voice your opinion. And in the time that you have left with them, can you start letting the calls go to VM and prioritize? What can they do about it - fire you? Not. But maybe they will see the light if you exhibit the proper way to run the office. Praying for you.

Linda, how are you doing? Definitely praying for you.

I'm trying something tomorrow and we will see how it goes. About a year ago, my work started a Health Committee but never really followed thru on anything formal and none of us knew what they really meant. But the yoga started up a couple of months ago and another person is leading a fit club with some aerobic activity. So I asked the Committee if they would like to have a Walk/Run Club. They responded yes but gave me no guidance. But I wrote up a flyer and invited people to join us near the office after work. No registration is required but several people have indicated their interest. All of them are walking - no running. So we will meet for the first time tomorrow (if the predicted storm subsides in time) and see where things go. I am definitely stating I'm not a coach but a volunteer and will set a course and be available for questions. Fine line on the liability issue so we just see where things go. I only committed for 8 weeks because everything is so iffy (Plus I want to form something at the church later.)

Edited by Pink Socks 2014-11-16 6:11 PM
2014-11-16 9:26 PM

User image

Hello all,

Day off today, Sunday a day of rest. Went to breakfast with my wife, step-daughter and 2 of 3 grandkids. Great way to start the day.

Chased a bunch of leaves around the yard and then a bit of dancing. Now just catching up on a few things.

So grateful for all I have - which also includes this group - thank you!

Pink - stuff falling off and growing back - are you part starfish?

Jay - My two weakest in Tri is swim / run. I am trying to build a solid base now and get more focused in the spring.
I haven't done a long run in a while, but have been running 3 times a week for the past 3 or 4 weeks. My longest run previous was 7+ miles - so I wanted to do 8 (planned).

Part of my new outlook on life is enjoying the journey. So..  with that being said, if I see something cool I will stop and take a picture, etc. (sorry the answer is so long.)

My plan was to run slow (13:00 - 14:00 pace) as I know I will get even slower later. and try to get the 8 miles. I was also trying out eating along the way, that is another story.

Knowing I will run @ ~4 mph and 8 miles, this would be about 2 hours.. I brought a power bar (200 calories) and a Gu gel (100 calories).
I figured eat about 100 calories every 2 miles. Still haven't started to carry water yet.

I ran a tarred path that goes into another town and figured I would head out 4 miles and return. Walking near the end if I needed to I WOULD accomplish the distance, not worried about time.

I ended up going a bit further as I needed (wanted) to make a certain milestone on the path, which ended up being 4.33 miles. Turned around and headed back.
I stopped to take a few pictures of a field under a highway for a black / white challenge on Facebook.
Started back jogging.. The path was much hillier [it is now called the Pam Path] than anything I have run before so it was a bit more strenuous as well as longer. Oh yeah, I don't really run outside (much) in the cold either, so this was also another test. Eating for the longer run. Getting used to what to wear (have a ~5 mile race on Thanksgiving) and extending to my longest distance.

The goal was to jog as much as I could, then run / walk the end. On one hill my heart rate was solid 172 - 175 so I walked the rest of the hill.

After that, if my HR went above 170 I would walk and get it down around 155 ish, then jog again.
(I had a heart attack last August so monitor my HR - although I tend to keep it pegged (170 - 180) quite a bit, maybe a bit too often..)

When I was back at my driveway I was at 8.6 miles so I walked up another street and back to cool down and hit 9 miles. :-)

Again, sorry such a long story...  appreciate any feedback.

This weeks plan is: Monday, Thursday - Gym treadmill.  Tues / Fri Pool laps, Sat will be the same run and try to do better.

2014-11-16 9:28 PM
in reply to: Dennis B

User image

here is the Strava log: http://www.strava.com/activities/219519227

X

(long run 11-16-2014.PNG)

Attachments
----------------
long run 11-16-2014.PNG (693KB - 16 downloads)

2014-11-17 12:10 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Jay your run is shaping up nicely at that distance. You should be feeling good about it.

Pam I just think your run fitness for the race was better than you expected and you underpaced yourself somewhat and may have drifted into that dark hole in the middle of the course. You probably could have started at a 15-30 sec per mile faster pace, held a 30 sec per mile pace through the middle and had 5 sec per mile less umphta at the end to finish up. But... a 15 min PR with your fastest 6 miles being the last 6 kindof owns.

For toenails it is important to keep them very short, especially before long runs. Another thing to consider is moving up 1/2 size in your shoes. It could be that your toes are smacking the front of your shoes. Last consideration is the type of socks you are wearing, they may slide more in your shoes. Some folks wear toe socks and say it helps, others have gone for toeless shoes/sandles for running to avoid toenail issues. The toenail growing under, into the one above it can take quite a while to work its way out. I have had issues with one of my toes with this and sometimes have to surgically remove parts or all of the remaining top toenail or file it down from the top. Once you get a "thick toenail" it is can catch on your shoe more and create an ongoing cycle. Taking a little no run time off a year seems to help it heal up. I am also up a 1/2 size this year to hopefully help with that.

First long run today of .... 5 miles at a very slow pace( I have a couple weeks of 3-4 mile jogs 2-3x a week). It was a brisk 12F this morning, so I had to dig out a windbreaker and some lite gloves. I considered a slightly insulated jacket to be a wimp but that would have been too much. Ugg 6 weeks will so kill all of your fitness. I will be starting the swim and bike back up this week. 2nd of 3 gradschool classes finished tonight. I will be happy when those are done. That will give me 2 of the 4 credentials/licenses updated for the year. Then I can focus on the 36 hours of CEU I need for my psychologist license renewal. At least my job pays for those.

Edited by Baowolf 2014-11-17 12:12 AM
2014-11-17 5:26 PM

User image

Master
Maryland
Carol, I hope a new door opens to a job to bring you happiness!
Pam I wished you worked at my school and I would join your walking/running group! It would be nice to have a social aspect to being outside and getting moving. I am starting a "Girls on the Run" program at my school and I will be the head coach. I am excited! It is actually a lot of volunteer time but I believe in the program and I want to give these 9 & 10 yr. old girls some help at gaining self esteem.

My husband still has not found employment and he is getting a little discouraged. We will sell or file bankruptcy in under 2 months. We take one day at a time. I am bummed that I had to drop my Y membership and so I won't be swimming any for a long time. But, I can still put my Brooks or Asics on and hit the road!

I enjoy all the progress many of you are making and Steve always lends some good advice to help us all : )
2014-11-17 9:15 PM
in reply to: Terps421

User image

Linda,

What does your husband do? You can PM any info.. I will help where / if I can.

2014-11-18 5:16 AM
in reply to: Dennis B

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Good morning all. Just some quick thoughts before my family starts there day.

Dennis: Some thoughts for you on the run. I've read (but never used) about the 10:1 theory....run 10 minutes, walk 1 minute throughout your run. I know in races, some people walk the water stations and jog everything else....this I have done before. The theory is it saves your legs. Another thing I've seen is people walk hills and jog everything else. You can do a 5:1 or just do what you're doing....just wanted to throw a few ideas out there for you.

Linda: I'm really sorry things haven't turned around for you yet. I pray that God is guiding your family through this situation. I had a friend that ended up filing and is much happier for it. He downsized his home and lost a lot of stress when the bills went poof through bankruptcy. Businesses file frequently and then come back stronger....but we as people sometimes have too much pride to do the same thing.

Steve: Thanks for the kind words.

More to come later....my son has woken up!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  

of 30

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.