BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 30

2014-07-30 9:01 AM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN)
Carol: I do not envy your weather and heat... ugh! I hope temps get down soon so you're more confortable training oustide.

Joe: great race report! you seem to approach the sport with a nice balance and you know what it is you need to work on. Nice job!

Phil: yes I did the "donut roll" thing... worked fine but I'll keep on racing barefoot. I would love to change my bike shoes for tri shoes, unfortunately no money for that right now... I need to shop for back to schoool stuff for my kiddos soon and this is soooo expensive!!! Good luck on your sprint, hope it is a good tune up for your next event, and congrats on your July training!

Steve: you remind me I shoud do a LT test for both run and bike, it's been a while.
During the oly I actually thought about you saying I was ready for that race based on my training logs and that gave me great confidence. If Steve says I'm ready, I must be ready, right?! So I am not entirely satisfied with my times, but I know I will crush it next time, and most of all, I had fun, which was the main goal of the day.

Good luck to all those racing! And happy training!

2014-07-30 9:09 AM
in reply to: isabella969

User image

Alexandria, Virginia
Gah, got into a bike accident with a pedestrian yesterday. Freak accident, but got some road rash on both sides of my body! Hopefully I won't have to defer the sprint this weekend but we'll see how I heal up.
2014-07-30 9:13 AM
in reply to: Mike_D

User image

New user
Mike sorry to hear about IMLP next year. But I think it was wise of you to discuss it with your family. I have never trained for an IM but from what I see it is hard and very time-consuming, you will need the help, support and understanding of your loved ones. Better not to rush it and wait for the right time.

Sounds like a good plan for 2015, I too want to do other olys and try a HIM next year (I will be turning 40, yikes!). Who knows, maybe in 2016 we'll be IM training together!
2014-07-30 9:43 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Phil, hope you and the pedestrian are both OK! I'm often convinced that riding through our park with its blind curves, dogs on extend-a-leashes, kids popping out of the woods, etc. is the most accident likely part of riding.

Mike, good for you for talking things through with your family.

Got a break in the heat! Ran in the rain this morning....one of my favorite things. Bike is going to the shop....intermittent clacking sound and resistance (like someone dropped a rock or marble into the works). Started suddenly while I was on a straight fairly flat section. Deraileurs look fine, so I'm guessing something w/ the bottom bracket/bearings???
2014-07-30 10:20 AM

Blairstown, NJ
Phil - the last time I used the wet suit was for a race May '13. I think that is partly why I wanted to use it. This nice peice of equipment sitting in the closet. That and some concern over what water temps will be in South Jersey in september.

Weather was great last night for a run. Got in 5.66 miles in what seemed to be more run than walk 1:02:13. The pool is closing early but I got in a good 20minutes. Legs are feeling pretty good today and will have to see if it is a run or Bike tonight.
2014-07-30 10:27 AM

Blairstown, NJ
Originally posted by Mike_D

Looks like no IM Lake Placid for next year. After a number of discussions with the family, it was decided next year wasn't the right time to do it. I'm disappointed, but understand. We all agreed its something I need to do sometime, so now we're trying to figure out what race location would be best for everyone. IM Lou moving to October kind of ruins that for us since the kids will be in school. So, the search goes on. So my thoughts for next year are to go do a few HIM races, at least 2, and to try some other regional races I've wanted to do. Maybe 2016 is the year for the 140.6 idea.

While thinking about that, I'm finally getting moving again. Couple swims, and running is starting again, including my lunch time runs at work which is a great time management thing. Swim this AM was another beatdown. Fun!

Mike - You have toughed out some big races so too bad about IMLP. Have you looked at HIM Princeton? I might have tried it this year but it was closed.

2014-07-30 10:37 AM
in reply to: squirt

Blairstown, NJ
Originally posted by squirt

Phil, hope you and the pedestrian are both OK! I'm often convinced that riding through our park with its blind curves, dogs on extend-a-leashes, kids popping out of the woods, etc. is the most accident likely part of riding.

Mike, good for you for talking things through with your family.

Got a break in the heat! Ran in the rain this morning....one of my favorite things. Bike is going to the shop....intermittent clacking sound and resistance (like someone dropped a rock or marble into the works). Started suddenly while I was on a straight fairly flat section. Deraileurs look fine, so I'm guessing something w/ the bottom bracket/bearings???

Carol - Yeah for breaks in the heat! Bike noises can be a pain. I lost a lot of bike time last month due to bike issues. Hope yours gets fixed quick.

Talking about bikes though it reminded me of the bike check I got at race check in Saturday. First thing the guy says to me is he sees bike fit issues. NOT the kind of thing you want to hear before the race. I kind of figured that since I have been messing with the fit a bit, balance that with their desire to sell some new equipment. Just seemes weird how blunt he was right before the race.
2014-07-30 11:32 AM
in reply to: Tri-solar

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Sorry about the bike crash, put some neosporin on it and bandaid to help healing, then let it dry out some and repeat. Road rash needs to be babied some and let dry out some to kind of heal optimally. The oozing stage kinda sucks for work clothes.

Doing just HIMs is not a bad idea for building speed for an IM. The recovery time is soooo much faster. But it does kinda take the slaying of the dragon out of the race when other folks are doing a full on the course at the same time.

Folks need to be really careful of the barefoot running thing. The older you are the harder it is to stretch your achilies 1/4 inch to make up for the no heal drop. I have known folks who have struggled with achilies pain from trying to make the shift, including my wife. And she stayed with it for 2 years starting with only walk and gradually moving up. I enjoy 5 finger runs up to about 3 miles when my run load is low.

Rain at the moment, not sure about how ambitions I am for a run and bike day.
2014-07-30 6:13 PM
in reply to: phifatech

User image

Master
Maryland
Originally posted by phifatech

Gah, got into a bike accident with a pedestrian yesterday. Freak accident, but got some road rash on both sides of my body! Hopefully I won't have to defer the sprint this weekend but we'll see how I heal up.

Oh my Phil, I hope you are feeling alright now. Take care. I am sorry that happened. That is what I don't like about road riding, there is always that danger factor. Heal quick : )
2014-07-31 7:17 AM
in reply to: Terps421

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Phil, ouch! Depending on how bad the road rash is and where, purchase Nexcare Tegraderm (Think I spelled that right). We only have it here at Walgreens. Saw a post about it on BT and have since used after a bad fall and after surgery. Invisible waterproof bandage that stays on for week to 10 days. More expensive but oh so worth it. Heal quickly.
2014-07-31 1:03 PM
in reply to: Pink Socks

User image

SOUTH WINDSOR, Connecticut

Hello All,

Not much yesterday, day off and bowling night.

Today is busy...  hope to at least get in a workout (SBR? who knows) later. Tomorrow heading to Lake George for rafting weekend.  May bring bike and try to get in some miles up there?

Steve - appreciate your comments hope I can live up to them..  wow..  coming from you that really amazed me.  I think I am just a regular guy with determination.

Phil - hope you are healing well.

All - Keep going and stay motivated!

-Dennis

2014-07-31 6:20 PM
in reply to: Dennis B

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Long bike of 90 miles covering most of IM Boulder bike course. It looks like the bike loads some big rollers in the first 15 miles and then the course is much flatter with only mild rollers here and there. But you are at the mercy of the wind for nearly the whole course. I lucked out on the temperatures today, but it still kicked my butt.
2014-08-01 10:06 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Nice ride, Steve. Is it a nice ride in terms of scenery, etc? Being in boulder, were there all kinds of insanely fit folks riding as well? Seems to be the epicenter of pro/high-end tri training in the US?

Biked yesterday, will run today after my daughters swim meet. My wife & I are volunteering at the meet, with me working the awards table. Should be fun.
2014-08-01 11:09 AM

Blairstown, NJ
Phil - Hope you are are healed up enough for your sprint. Any other details you want to share?

Mike D - Enjoy the swim meet. It can be fun and instructional to watch these kids swim.

Steve - Must be great to do some riding away from your normal routes and 90 mile is awesome.

I got in a nice 38 miles this morning. The weather is cool and overcast but I still worked up quite a sweat!
2014-08-01 12:27 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Alexandria, Virginia
Thanks for the wellwishes. Pam, my sis is in health care and mentioned that Tegraderm stuff. Looks amazing but I don't think my injuries are that serious. Joe, did you want details of the crash? I was riding down the path, looked clear in front of me. All of a sudden a pedestrian walked into my way, must've been stretching behind a row of bushes or something. She didn't look (or she would've seen me), and stopped right in the middle of the path! Now I know that riders are to yield to pedestrians, but I barely had time to react; my hands were on the tops and I didn't get to the hoods in time to brake. I yelled before plowing into her at about 17mph. Don't know the physics of the fall, but both sides of my body were bleeding and bruised up. Road rash on both knees/shins, right hip, left elbow. Big bruises on my left hip, and right upper arm. The pedestrian was clearly hurt, but no open wounds, she was holding her right cheek, and after some complaints about my speed, she got up and waled away, refusing help from a bystander to get checked out at a fire department a block away. As for the bike, the right shifter was scratched and bent in, and the carbon rails of my saddle popped out of the pocket it attaches to under the nose of the seat. No other signs of damage, I don't think. Saturday's sprint will be a gametime decision unfortunately, but my soreness probably won't affect something as short as the sprint. I rested the day after the crash, on Wednesday, but did some hill repeats yesterday to finish the month strong. By the way, here's my month totals:

S: 2:18, 7500 m (8202 yd)
B: 16:06, 243 mi
R: 9:38, 49 mi (this included 2:50 of 6.77 mmi hiking)
Other: 9:10 soccer, 0:56 tennis

Total: 38hr of activity (improvement from 31hr in June, 17hr in May, 23hr in Apr, 10hr Mar, 7hr Feb)

I'm fitting my bike for tri position today (ffwd seatpost, clip on aerobars) if not for the sprint tomorrow, then for getting comfortable in the last month of training for the HIM. Joe, what fit issues were mentioned with your bike?

Edited by phifatech 2014-08-01 12:39 PM
2014-08-01 1:04 PM

User image

New user
Happy Friday (can't believe it's August already)

Carol: I hope you can figure out what's going on with your bike and that it's nothing serious.

Joe: did the guy mention specifics or did he just say "bike fit issue"? It can be many things and I would guess some things can be addressed quickly on the spot. Then again, not sure I would do that on race day.! And you are right it is not the thing you want to hear in line for transition!!! Were you fitted in a bike shop?

Dennis: rafting weekend sounds like fun!

Steve: do you feel you are 100% back from your IM? Is your back still giving you a hard time?

Phil: Let me know how your bike fit with aerobars went. I'd like to do that eventually, what should I know beforehand? I sure hope you can do your sprint this weekend.

Monthly totals are a bit disappointing... Swim is about the same, run is good but my bike must feel like I abandoned it... And it is my favourite sport of the 3! Here goes:

Swim 4h30min / 9,930 yards
Bike 4h54min / 78 miles - yikes!!!
Run 7h09min / 39 miles

August will be interesting. The kiddos are going away for 1 whole week on August 11 to stay at my parent's house, a 2-hour drive. Then it's a 2-week vacation for all of us. I need to keep the training up cause my next sprint race (and last tri for 2014) is August 31st! And I want to finish up with a PR...

2014-08-01 3:52 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Here are my numbers:

Swim: 4h 50m - 13600 Yd
Bike: 23h 08m - 399.5 Mi
Run: 14h 06m 50s - 84.58 Mi

Doh how did I not bike another .5 miles?

I am not back to 100% yet after the IM, maybe 60%. The back doesn't bother me,the shoulder doesn't prevent me from doing anything, but keeps my swim slower than I would like. I still have some muscle groups I need to be really careful of and need to keep my intensity really low z1-2. I have been able to go longer, but my training plan has more adjustments to it than non-altered workouts. I am not taking a 3 hour nap after a 25 mile bike ride anymore though. As of um well yesterday. I have to really listen to my body and may have pushed a bit harder than I should have week 2 even going very very lite.
2014-08-01 7:10 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
The vacation training plan is going pretty well. Here are July numbers:

Swim: 4h 00m 07s - 10900 Yd

Bike: 15h 58m 25s - 209.42 Mi

Run: 8h 19m 50s - 37.18 Mi

The heat has relented and we were in the low 70's this morning! I took Katy the dog on my run, and let's just say I'm in better shape than she is. She did score eating a cicada though (yes, we feed her well, but something irresistible about those cicadas buzzing in your mouth). Bike is OK....just needed adjusting and I was told "a clean bike is a happy bike". Almost asked the kid that fixed it if he had cleaned his room lately, but held my tongue on that. Free bike adjustments for life is a good thing.

2014-08-01 7:25 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Fellow Mentorees

Sorry been MIA lately been busy at work and switching days with wifey taking care of my boy lost our weekend babysitter. I am still trying to maintain training Sprint next week , Oly in 3 weeks , HIM in 3 mos.

@Steve
i am still carrying your IMCDA RR its really very inspiring my heart is already racing on IMLT for you. I am really excited. Shame on me if i burnout in training for IMTX next year.

@Carol
I hear yah the heat is really scorching just had. my slowest sprint because i wouldnt leave T2 because of the punishing sun. I admire your long ride and long run on consecutive days.

@ Pam
I like your running discipline i want to be strong like you in the future.

@Isabelle
I am proud of your Oly accomplishment seems to be your strong in the water and the saddle next. I have no doubt on your success for your first HIM. I know time in training is a luxury , but i have no doubt on your capabilities.... Goodluck!!!

@Joe
I read your RR good job on the sprint your HIM is getting closer i know you can do it trust in your training.

@Phil
Congrats in advance to you and your fiancee. Sorry about the accident glad its not major. Your HIM is coming up i believe good luck man just keep going

@MikeD
Sorry about missing IMLP '15 , there will be others i heard alot got in this year was not that hard to register.I hope your running is back.

@Dennis
Welcome, i see your very consistent " Cant stop now" your on a roll!!'

@Dr.T
Congrats on the sprint good job!!!

Have A Sunny training day everyone!!!!

Cheers Everyone

Carl

July 2014
Swim: 8h 01m 37s - 15993.52 Yd
Bike: 21h 07m 58s - 386.14 Mi
Run: 10h 44m 07s - 60.31 Mi

Edited by strykergt 2014-08-01 7:31 PM
2014-08-02 7:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Quick post for my July numbers. Just got back from a long run and now need to hit the shower to make it to communion setup in a few min.

Swim: 20m

Bike: 15m

Run: 23h 19m - 124.4 Mi

Strength: 55m

Core Training: 2h 10m

Home Improvement: 8h 30m (Painting)

Stair Running: 1h 30m

Edited by Pink Socks 2014-08-02 7:47 AM
2014-08-02 10:32 AM
in reply to: #4997711

User image

Hi All,

dont have my totals for June yet, but having the best week of training in my life so far

monday - 45 swim, with drills 1500m covered, 25min jog
tuesday - brick 40k cycle + 25min jog
wendsday - 1h 20min run (yupi), covered 10k in 1h 4mins
thursday - 40km cycle
friday - off
saturday - brick 1750m open water swim in 31min 28sec + 5k run (same hilly route as last sprint tri done almost 2mins faster)
sunday (tmrw) - long ride, about 65km

Im down 3kg in July, no dieting just healthy eating and training.

happy days

2014-08-02 2:39 PM
in reply to: drtroll

User image

Master
Maryland
Have a great weekend everyone! Good luck to our racers and I hope Phil that you are feeling better! Here are my numbers for July:

Swim: 4h 44m - 7900 Yd
Bike: 6h 46m - 96.7 Mi
Run: 40h 45m 05s - 273 Mi
Strength: 6h 10m
Elliptical Training: 20m
Hiking: 2h 00m
Walking: 3h 20m

2014-08-02 4:06 PM
in reply to: Terps421

User image

Hi All,

Total for July:

Swim: 5h 20m
Cycle: 8h 22m 30s - 232.79km
Run: 6h 33m 18s - 56.29km
Core and Strength training - 8hours (with instructor)

Question to the experts regarding swimming - I think I have a quite a good technique, my arms are strong enough on my level (they are never tired or sore even after a long swim) but it seems that I have problem with breathing/endurance in open water (in wetsuit). I mean in a swimming pool I breathe bilateral every 3strokes and dont have problem with that. In a wetsuit and open water I run out of oxygen quite fast, dont really know why (it seems like my lung capacity is much smaller). Cant keep my technique because I have to breathe on one side and almost every stroke. This all goes away at the end of a swim (maybe last 200m meters my last 1.7km swim) and in last 200m I can concentrate on technique and my tempo rather than breathing. I hope I explained it well.

What should I work on?
a) increase my lung capacity and breathe in the pool every 5strokes?
b) increase intensity in swimming pool?
other?

Why is this happening?
1. wetsuit? I have quite good fit and dont have any problem with breathing on a dry land
2. cold water? here in Ireland the water is quite cold and sometimes and the beginning of a swim i got a light headache
3. up to date, when I swam in open water it was always some sort of competition, maybe I start too fast?
4. I usually dont do any aerobic warm up before a swim, only arms and upper body warm up
2014-08-02 8:05 PM
in reply to: drtroll

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Linda - just...wow...9 miles a day average for the month. Amazing.
2014-08-03 12:47 AM
in reply to: #5034098

User image

Linda - I dont know how I missed this - 273m run in a month, jeysus thats a lot congratulations !!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  

of 30

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.