BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 30

2014-10-11 8:35 PM
in reply to: Dennis B

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN)
75 mile bike ride today in the living room watching movies with the kids. Fun bike activity, focus on pedaling and for 2:00 focus on the top of the knee push down motion, hit that hard, then 2:00 at pushing across the top under the bottom both horizontal movements, more calf and ankle, then 2:00 focusing on your hamstring, then 2:00 using all 3 muscle groups/movements together.

And thanks. Yes a solid group we have, folks with different strengths.

2014-10-12 9:29 AM
in reply to: squirt

User image

Pearland,Tx
Carol

2nd Ebola of at Texas Presbyterian please be very careful if you need to go crowded areas ERs may want to wear personal protective equipment PM me I might be able to help. I am really worried about friends and family there in Dallas

Take Care

carl
2014-10-12 12:10 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Thanks Carl! I have had to go to an urgent care clinic (Concentra) in Irving 3 times in the last couple weeks for TB testing for my new job. I have to go back once more on Monday to have the 2nd round read. Can't say I don't think about it, especially when a very sick looking gal wearing a face mask walked by me to go to the bathroom for a urine test as the tech was injecting the TB test stuff under my skin. Probably "just" the flu or something, but still. Oh, and was in the ER and also in a hospital room several times last week with my FIL. Yes, I'll PM you for thoughts on precautions. Thank you!

Edited by squirt 2014-10-12 12:24 PM
2014-10-13 8:16 PM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Originally posted by Baowolf

75 mile bike ride today in the living room watching movies with the kids. Fun bike activity, focus on pedaling and for 2:00 focus on the top of the knee push down motion, hit that hard, then 2:00 at pushing across the top under the bottom both horizontal movements, more calf and ankle, then 2:00 focusing on your hamstring, then 2:00 using all 3 muscle groups/movements together.

Wow, you are an inspiration!

Carol, be careful on those hospital trips.

Torrential rains expected for us tomorrow so looks like no running and yoga will be it for me tomorrow. Great run last Saturday. I'm not as fast as I wish but I can see that I'm much stronger.

Mike, your bud did well in Kona. And did anyone see how well Apollo did?
2014-10-14 9:22 AM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Pearland,Tx
Fellow mentorees

Weather is getting better in Texas i am starting to enjoy my long runs. May be time for me to bring out the wetsuit.

Just to provide support We all know 2nd Ebola pt. is here anyone who needs to go frequent visits to the hospital or need to travel feel free to let me know i can provide N95 masks and protective eyewear.

Take Care Everyone

Carl
2014-10-15 7:59 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Dennis, congrats on surprising yourself in that 5K! I think sometimes rest does a body good, and I know vacation does a mind good

Steve, any decisions on where your IM journey is headed? Tough to decide with the vacuum of info that WTC's lack of response is making. Glad you got a ride in.

Carl, seems we have a 2nd healthcare worker with Ebola at Presby Dallas. Hopefully they would catch a new case before you saw a patient that had it. ER's and urgent care centers are a bit scary though. Still have the feeling we are not being told everything, plus we have federal, state, county, and city gov't + hospital officials + hazmat cleanup companies all trying to figure out who's on first I an unprecedented situation. That's pretty scary all by itself!

I'm looking forward to establishing a routine that includes working out. Trying to wrap up my current job today, but will still be on call for questions. Start the new one on Monday.

2014-10-15 10:38 AM

User image

New user
Hello everyone!

Since I cannot run, I bike plenty (indoors and out, we've been having wonderful wheather here!) and I love it. No swim whatsoever since end of August, will resume that in January.

I am seeing a sports physio for the 2nd time tonight, she has given me exercises to work my left hip (she though my injury might come from an imbalance / weakness in the left hip) and so I was doing them religiously every day. I feel the pain is less sharp. I have not been running since mid-september (yikes!) I want to be 100% injury free when I start again. Is this perfect wheather to run, or what? Can't wait!

As for goals, I am not too sure. Maybe a half-marathon in the spring, to make up for the one in November that I will skip, but I quite liked having a big ride event planned early in the year as well. Not quite ready to move up to HIM yet, but I'll be doing another oly next year for sure.

Dennis, great job on the 5k!
Steve, great idea to setup the bike in the living room, great way to spend time with kids+ get training done!! We setup my husband's bike and mine side to side so we could spend time together but he bikes in the morning and I prefer in the evening, d'oh!

@ Everyone, Stay safe!
2014-10-15 11:13 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by squirt

Dennis, congrats on surprising yourself in that 5K! I think sometimes rest does a body good, and I know vacation does a mind good

Steve, any decisions on where your IM journey is headed? Tough to decide with the vacuum of info that WTC's lack of response is making. Glad you got a ride in.

Carl, seems we have a 2nd healthcare worker with Ebola at Presby Dallas. Hopefully they would catch a new case before you saw a patient that had it. ER's and urgent care centers are a bit scary though. Still have the feeling we are not being told everything, plus we have federal, state, county, and city gov't + hospital officials + hazmat cleanup companies all trying to figure out who's on first I an unprecedented situation. That's pretty scary all by itself!

I'm looking forward to establishing a routine that includes working out. Trying to wrap up my current job today, but will still be on call for questions. Start the new one on Monday.

Carol

Scares the hell out of me and my hospital is not providing any training nor information and hundreds goes to our ER each day.

I am more concerned with what Jay said " Gov'ts tends to Lie"

God Help us!

2014-10-15 2:46 PM

User image

Master
Maryland

UGGGG, Steve, you are amazing!!!!!!! I feel like a slug. You always inspire me.

After my post last week, I went home and my husband lost his job. No severance, no insurance for him or our daughters. One of our girls has cancer and we have some large debt from her surgery and treatments. I am very scared and I am dealing with huge anxiety. I know some day it will be better, but losing everything is depressing.

Carol and Carl, it is scary if the govt. is not telling us everything about Ebola. Hopefully that is not the case. We had Ebola in our BL4 labs at Ft. Detrick when I worked there as a Biologist and that was in the 90's. I'd think the doctors would know and establish the proper protocols BEFORE their health care workers treat an Ebola patient. So now, I am wondering if the PR about transmission is true or not.

2014-10-15 4:14 PM
in reply to: Terps421

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Isabella, I like your measured approach to the triathlon journey. Hope your hip continues to get better so you can enjoy the fall weather!

Carl, hopefully the Ebola stuff will be contained, but in your line of work especially it's scary.

Linda, so sorry to hear about your family's job/financial/medical situations. Can you elect Cobra or buy a policy on the open market? I know it's all terribly expensive, and when the income is cut off, very tough or impossible to swing it. Thankfully the pre-existing condition exclusions are gone, so even if you have a gap, it won't sink you for covering your daughter later on. I've also been a ball of stress the last couple months given my husband's retirement, my search for a full time job, and our need for insurance (insulin is expensive, we're both too young for medicare, and they stopped paying for retiree medical coverage a few years ago). Seeing light and God's hand in all of it, but still very stressful times. Praying for your family, and for your stress level.

2014-10-15 8:46 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Yes you should be able to get Cobra for 14 months ish. It will be costly, but cheaper than not having it if your kid has a serious illness. Also you might qualify for Obamacare. Getting fired and losing insurance could be a qualifying event for entering that program. That said it sounds like his company are real jerks. He may also be entitled to be paid for any sick days that he did not use and or personal days that were piled up. Prayers for you and a new job for him.

Ok so ya I got toggled into IM Chatanooga and couldn't make that happen. Then they didn't respond to 14 emails and 4 phone calls for 3-4 weeks. So then I got an email and they reset my link to pick one of the remaining options again. So I selected to do IMTX.... then I got an email congratulating me for selecting IMLT.... followed by an email that said that was their bad, ignore that. Then I got an email congratulating me for signing up for IM Canada. Then I got an email congratulating me for signing up for IMTX. So I think I am signed up for IMTX, but I am sure things will change in the next 5 minutes. So if all goes well I will be visiting yall and bringing my asmat suit with me. I think WTC is a subsidiary of CDC. So it looks like that puts me into a month of solid just relax and recover fully before building again in mid November. Not sure how much lite workout stuffs I might do or just let everything go and pick it up again in a month.

2014-10-16 4:31 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx
@Linda

I did not see your post due to my Ebola paranoia. I am sorry about your hubby. Happened to me twice since i migrated here and I am just told its the "American Way" good thing is your hubby can file for Unemployment i believe its good for 6 months. My heart dropped knowing your daughter has Ca. I already feel bad knowing my bro has it and i am on my knees during church praying CT will be clear. You're daughter will be in my prayers as well. I believe you finances can be tough. Just a suggestion since your our female version of the FLASH here why not set-up a fundraising campaign using
"GoFundMe.com" say run an Ultra fundraising for your daughter's treatment. I am still debating using the GoFundMe fundraising for Cancer Research dedicated to my brother while doing IMTX.

@Steve

I am sorry your diverted too far as Texas , but I am somehow excited i get to meet you. Maybe you'll get a slot at Kona 75 slots next year, being its the NA Championships.See you soon bro!!!

@Carol

The good news is the two RNs infected with Ebola are now at Atlanta at Emory Hospital close to CDC Homebase. Take care and becareful.

Godbless Everyone!!!

Carl

Edited by strykergt 2014-10-16 4:33 AM
2014-10-16 5:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Linda: I'm so very sorry you and your family are dealing with all of the stress you mentioned. Steve and Carlo hit on all of the things I was going to mention you and your husband look into. (payment for sick/vacation and unemployment) If memory serves me correctly, you're a school teacher....can't you take over the family benefits? I'm pretty sure a job loss of a spouse would qualify as a life changing event that would allow you to pick up benefits...could be wrong though. One other thing I'll mention as a man that has lost his job (in my case, my business): It's very depressing to a man to not be able to provide for his family when they need you to do so. I only say this as a reminder to try to be there to support your husband......if he's anything like I am, he probably won't say much but he'll appreciate it much more than he'll show.

Steve: Hopefully, you don't have any more emails since WTC finally getting your destination correct!

Carol: Good luck with your latest life transition! I'm sure its exciting and stressful all at once but it'll settle down soon

Carlo: Be safe at work! Use all of the precautions the hospital has implemented plus whatever you think is best! If you feel like you need to double glove before touching someone...do it without a second thought!

Isabella: How's your hip feeling with the sports physio? I thought of you yesterday because I was suggesting a local chiropractor for my neighbor who's dealing with some serious back pain.

I have had an interesting couple of days. I helped a friend move as much as we could do from his old house to his new one. That cut into my workout time....but I got in a different workout. I had the oddest thing happen while I was helping him; while we were driving back and forth and moving in items...his wife asks him "when are you going to be finished with this" with a nasty tone. I was pretty taken aback by the whole thing to be honest. I'm giving up my day off to help my friend AND his wife move in heavier items that they can't do themselves and she says that. Call me crazy but if someone is helping me move, I'm thankful for the help and keep my mouth shut. I know my friend appreciated the help so that's what I chose to focus on.

Yesterday I did my first double digit run in awhile. I channeled my inner Pam and did a whole route that included that hill I found a few weeks back. This time, I followed the hilly terrain to its end.....it was about 3 miles of steady hills. I was happy that my legs seemed to be responding well to the hills.....until they didn't. It was like the bad race we've all experienced....things are going well and then the wheels fall off the wagon. That's how this run ended....the last 4 miles were a slow decline from the hills I climbed and my legs kept getting heavier and heavier. I had to death march it for the last mile or two but I never walked It was a good training run; one of those that you feel like its going to help you long term by forcing your legs to do more work than they wanted to.
2014-10-16 6:27 AM
in reply to: medeiros13

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Linda, I can't add more advice that what Carol, Steve, Carl, and Jay stated. But I do want you know that I'll be praying for every one of you. Hugs to all of you during this terrible time.
2014-10-16 6:36 AM
in reply to: Pink Socks

User image

Master
Maryland
Thank you for all of your kind words. I can only imagine how hard it is for a man to loose his job and not be able to provide. I am trying to be there for him. I am a mess though but doing my best. We will be able to get my family on my insurance due to emergency some time next week. Scary not having it though especially with one kid having cancer. But it will be temporary.
Thank you again for your prayers, they are powerful and mean so much!!!
2014-10-16 11:00 AM
in reply to: Terps421

User image

SOUTH WINDSOR, Connecticut

Wow.. Tough times for many, we will ALL prevail. Best wishes, thoughts and prayers for everyone..

Almost feel bad saying things are going well. Actually, things are the same just dealing with everything on a day by day basis. All we can ask for.

Monday - 7+ mile run - longest to date, 12:40 (ish) - which for me is good.

Tuesday - Ride bike into work 12 mile each way. Going in, missed a turn and didn't realize it until I was in the next town.. So the little detour added 8 more miles. Heading home, construction had a road block, was a 3 mile detour around that.. So my 24 mile day turned into 35. My legs were SHOT after this. Think I was under nourished for the extra miles...

Wednesday - Legs still shot, went to pool at lunch.  Drills / laps for 1000 yds. ~32 minutes

Today - Raining pretty good, so didn't take the bike to work. Will hit the gym (weights) and treadmill after work.

Again, best wishes for all..  keep the Faith!

If I think I can, or if I think I can't, either way I am right!!

Best,
-Dennis

2014-10-19 5:53 PM
in reply to: Dennis B

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Linda, so glad that you could get insurance! Still praying like mad for your family.

Dennis, nice way to get a bike ride by commuting to and from work.

Slight good news for us since we got cray-cray out of one of our rentals. Now we are trying to get it ready for the market so pulling out carpet, painting, meeting with the tile guy so we can spend yet more money that we don't have. Thrilled to have Crazy out of our life but now trying to find that fine line of prepping it for the market but knowing that we will probably have to rent it out again and one year from now I'll be broken hearted because some people are animals. And of course all of this comes as I'm supposed to be doing my last long run before the mary. Oh well, it will all work out.

Steve, Yay on IMTX!
2014-10-20 9:23 AM

User image

Alexandria, Virginia
I work up with a stiff neck this past weekend that I can't really run with, which hurts my HM training. Any advice on how to deal with it? Does aspirin or some NSAID work?
2014-10-21 7:58 PM
in reply to: phifatech

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Can do both, ibuprophin and asprin, heat, cold back, lite stretching if it was not strain related. It should work its way out in a couple days.

So I started digging out a big stump, and it rained, the mud is sooooo heavy now. Now my back hurts and not even half way done digging. Oh well.
2014-10-22 8:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Phil, hope neck is better. I hate when that happens. I pop lots of Advil for that.

Steve, so sorry about the heavy mud. Easier to dig but tougher to toss.

Took off today to do my last long run before the mary in 2 ½ weeks. Went fine – until it didn’t. Not legs but stomach/gut. I wanted to throw up so many times. I’m hoping it was a weird bug or b’fast incompatibility. Wasn’t dehydration nor calorie deficient. Toward the end, I found a lost soul so I showed her how to get home which meant I added another 2+ miles. So was I really spent? Yes and No and I don’t know; seems like it was more mental. After the run, went to rental to paint the ceiling of a huge master which meant backache and lots of ladder work. I hurt now but hubby loves me because it is one less thing that he has to do on the rental.

I really don’t know where I am in mary prep. I have a HM this weekend which I’ll treat as mary prep (not PR hard but not slacking). I don’t think I’m 100% ready for the full but dang, it’s an out and back with the best portions at mile 7 thru mile 19 so it means I can’t drop down to HM because that would just suck. So I'll in for the full. Plus, why shouldn't I do the full because I found that in-laws will be at my house for that weekend so really, I don't want to get home early. Heck, I may skip that last 10 miles of the full. Hm, do you think they will let me pitch a tent and finish the next day?

Edited by Pink Socks 2014-10-22 8:50 PM
2014-10-23 8:51 AM

User image

New user
Linda: I am so sorry to hear that. Job loss on top of sickness must be overwhelming; I am thinking of you and sending you and your family lots of love and healthy thoughts...

Steve: wow, talk about confusing! So are you also registered for IMCanada?

Phil: I used to wake up with stiff neck all the time, 1 robaxacet before sleep and advil the rest of the time does it for me.

Pam: you are so funny, doing the full marathon just to avoid coming home to your in-laws! well, motivation can come from anything right?

Jay: saw the sports physio last night for the 3rd time, we are seeing good (but subtle) progress. At least I know where the injury comes from and I can do something about it. It helps a bit, but I am really bummed that I cannot run.

Sometimes we take things for granted (health, a race, love of our spouse, even friends coming to help us move ) but reading your posts make me realize that I must enjoy and appreciate all that I have, every day. Thank you.

Everyone stay safe and stay healthy.

2014-10-23 10:02 PM
in reply to: isabella969

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
It all works its way out. So I am doing IMTX and IM Boulder pending good health.

So first gradschool class down next one starts Monday. Being very lazy and not doing any workouts for a month outside of "gardening."

So how are folks doing with offseason plans?
2014-10-24 5:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida

It all works its way out. So I am doing IMTX and IM Boulder pending good health.

So first gradschool class down next one starts Monday. Being very lazy and not doing any workouts for a month outside of "gardening."

So how are folks doing with offseason plans?

Congrats on the first class being complete. Enjoy your "laziness" which is still more than most people will do.

Offseason? Florida's season is different from everyone else's and it's especially so for me since I'm only running. All running events occur Fall, Winter, and early spring here. So for me, HM tomorrow, full mary in 2 weeks, another HM in early Dec (girl's weekend), possibly (only possibly, going to see how I feel after mary) a slow 50K in Dec. Then I'm going to see if I can start hitting the trainer while maintaining for a Feb HM or full. I've got a half baked notion of what I want to shoot for in 2015 but I've got to see if I can make myself bike.
2014-10-25 1:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Just returned from my HM. It's in Boston Ga and they call it the Boston mini. Out and back on a road that I traveled at 70mph when I was a teenager. I don't think the road has been paved since then and as one person stated, if the road gets any more cracks in it, they will have to start calling it cross country. The first time I ran it, I thought the hills were pretty bad but those hills seem to have shrunk. The plan was to find a comfortable pace, stay with it, practice nutrition, and try to negative split it; time goal was 2:05 to 2:15. At the turnaround, a friend passed me as I was eating and said she had been trying to catch me for 6.5 miles. Looked at my watch and realized I had a shot at sub 2 which I only did once before. Really, really, really wanted to catch Carla but realized I shouldn't risk it. At mile 10, I started kicking it into higher gear and almost passed the last stop without refueling but no, this is practice for the full so I slowed to take my endurolyte and eat a little more and then headed in. Very happily, I had some in the tank and I finished exactly positionally where I thought I should (with the ones that were running consistent the whole race and ahead of the ones that passed me as I refueled.) And I got a 2+ min PR, 1:56:32. And won my AG. I'm thrilled about the PR but even happier because my legs aren't trashed, I fueled correctly, and the effort seemed easier - esp after my 17 miler the other day.

My mother was waiting for me at the finish. Later I met her new boyfriend and had lunch. I like this guy, thank God. (My dad died 20 years ago and I didn't like the other 2 guys she has dated since then.) Now a shower and the Greek Food Festival. Nice day.

Hope everyone else has a great weekend. Linda, how are things going? Still praying for all of you.
2014-10-25 4:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Pam, that's awesome! Congrats to you!

My offseason plans have been running and lately following Steve's gardening with New England's favorite past time of raking leaves. I've worked my way up to 11 miles....doing it right this time and feeling a lot better. Been following the Pam plan....find the hills....all hills on your runs. I still don't like it but its working. I do need to swim a little more...well a lot more. I've slacked the last two weeks due to helping friends move and sheer laziness. At some point...some trainer riding needs to happen as well but I always seem to do better when I run. I recently moved my lifting down to one day a week to focus on more cardio....so the change is coming. I don't know what the scale says these days but my uniform says I'm dropping inches. I'm in a good place....just hope I can stay with it!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  

of 30

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.