BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2014-12-20 8:36 PM
in reply to: Fred D

User image

Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!!
Fred, I was hoping you would start another group for others. I think it is when you are at your best within BT.

2014-12-21 4:49 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by marcaggot my zwift invite
Way to rain on Fred's velo reality parade....lol

let me downplay it

Will watch it on a 21inch monitor
2014-12-21 7:47 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
I am looking into power training and I know nothing about PowerTap wheels. So I am asking for advice. Most likely use a Garmin 810 and 910xt.

1. Looking for the cheapest alterative to get started in power.
2. I do not care about weight, but I do about reliability and easy of service.
3. Needs to be Shimano 10 compatible, 24 holes and all weather.

I would like a model # of the PT. I think building a spare rear wheel will be the cheapest for be.

Thanks
2014-12-21 8:23 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by BrotherTri

I am looking into power training and I know nothing about PowerTap wheels. So I am asking for advice. Most likely use a Garmin 810 and 910xt.

1. Looking for the cheapest alterative to get started in power.
2. I do not care about weight, but I do about reliability and easy of service.
3. Needs to be Shimano 10 compatible, 24 holes and all weather.

I would like a model # of the PT. I think building a spare rear wheel will be the cheapest for be.

Thanks

Did you plan to keep or sell your Zipps to fund part of this ?

If you plan to keep the Zipps, IMO, the most cost effective solution is a Power2max, crank based solution like Arend bought. They were recently on sale for under 1k

A PT, a wheel and a disc cover is going to be close in cost of a P2Max.
You can use your current race wheels which are probably better than that wheel
You can train and race with power with different wheels
You can have a separate trainer wheel for the CT. Convenient.
You can one day buy/sell wheels without having to worry about your PT.

Now, if you plan to sell your Zipps and buy this, it makes the PT solution 1k cost - 1k for your zipps ( just a number I am throwing out) = $0 but you don't have a front race wheel. Or sell just the back wheel....

Stages may be an option for you but you need to understand it's limitations. You may be more than happy to live with them. If this is a possibility for you we can discuss that.

Edited by marcag 2014-12-21 8:32 AM
2014-12-21 9:13 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Thanks Marc,

I am keeping the Zipp's as is. I plan to use the power just in training for now. My mindset is the cheapest PowerTap that I can build on single training wheel set that I have. I can put that wheel set on either of my bikes (Felt and Scott).

2014-12-21 9:23 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
My Garmin 910xt today recorded my run for the 25th Dec. Anyway to change the date to the 21st Dec?

2014-12-21 9:45 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Fred D 2014-12-21 9:45 AM
2014-12-21 9:48 AM

2014-12-21 10:00 AM

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by Fred D

Originally posted by BrotherTri I am looking into power training and I know nothing about PowerTap wheels. So I am asking for advice. Most likely use a Garmin 810 and 910xt. 1. Looking for the cheapest alterative to get started in power. 2. I do not care about weight, but I do about reliability and easy of service. 3. Needs to be Shimano 10 compatible, 24 holes and all weather. I would like a model # of the PT. I think building a spare rear wheel will be the cheapest for be. Thanks

Personally, I think you can not go wrong with the PT. Marc and I have different preferences on power as per prior discussions.

*I* really like the idea of using the PT for training alone, and then racing with the Zipps without power. Yes, I have both set up, but I have a slightly higher budget than most in this sport ;-)

Power2Max is a decent option, and I have heard good reviews. I have not heard as much good news about the stages, but I don't have one... just some reliability issues.

PT is bomb proof. They can be got cheap on E-bay. I am very pleased with my PT. Very pleased.

Which model PT do you have? Any other recommended PT models?

Thanks

2014-12-21 10:10 AM
in reply to: BrotherTri

2014-12-21 10:14 AM

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by marcag  Will watch it on a 21inch monitor

Is it a black and white TV?

OMG you are going to love this thing !!!

2014-12-21 10:16 AM

Edited by Fred D 2014-12-21 10:16 AM
2014-12-21 10:19 AM

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

Thanks Fred I just found that as well. That gives me a great start.

EDIT

Is that the model you have?

Edited by BrotherTri 2014-12-21 10:20 AM
2014-12-21 11:28 AM

Pro
NJ

Originally posted by marcag

Marc, been reading a bit about Zwift and am pretty intrigued. I'm not going to be riding outside for a while (prob another shoulder surgery in early spring). So anything to make riding inside more motivating and entertaining is a plus.  Currently use TR and GC but with virtual power. Not planning to get a PT.  So as you're beta testing, if you have any thoughts re utility/limitations with using virtual power it would be much appreciated.  Also, how will you integrate into more structured training...same as riding with group outside? I think the greatest limiter for me will be whether or not there are enough people with similar power profiles that actually sign up. My FTP/kg won't let me ride with you guys...even virtually.  But I do have color TV and 42" monitor ;-)

2014-12-21 11:59 AM
in reply to: kcarroll

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by kcarroll

Originally posted by marcag

Marc, been reading a bit about Zwift and am pretty intrigued. I'm not going to be riding outside for a while (prob another shoulder surgery in early spring). So anything to make riding inside more motivating and entertaining is a plus.  Currently use TR and GC but with virtual power. Not planning to get a PT.  So as you're beta testing, if you have any thoughts re utility/limitations with using virtual power it would be much appreciated.  Also, how will you integrate into more structured training...same as riding with group outside? I think the greatest limiter for me will be whether or not there are enough people with similar power profiles that actually sign up. My FTP/kg won't let me ride with you guys...even virtually.  But I do have color TV and 42" monitor ;-)

My experience is a whopping 20minute install and 1 hour ride. I was supposed to ride at 165w, easy for an hour. At 45min I was at 220w average, pushing 350w trying to drop some guy that was drafting me. So much for the easy ride. But it's that fun.

Install was super simple. It then asked what equipment I had. It allowed me to mix things up, ie, use Computrainer power, Cadence from another device, HR from another.

As you are riding, there is a list of people on the course, how many w/kg they are doing and how far/behind they are. So sure enough, some guy is 45s ahead and he is doing 2.4wkg. Start doing 2.6 and you see yourself slowly closing the gap. Then you see him up in the horizon so you go chasing him.

This pesky American (you have flags) kept on drafting me and as I would try to drop him, his w/kg would go way up. I suspect he was heavy because I would lose him on the hills and he would catch me going downhill

They throw in music now and then, but they throw in sound of wind as you are going faster. It's cool

They did change the resistance of my CT based on the slope of the terrain. I did have to shift gears.

They never asked me for my FTP so they are not scaling things according to FTP. This means if you are using Virtual Power and it's innacurate you will be going faster or slower than reality. Simply loosen your tire a little and you will be more competitive as your VP will go up with less tension.

For workouts, I am not sure how it will work. Maybe there will be a guy you chase in order to hit your power target.

If you like pack riding, with surges, pulls, rests drafting, this is a very good simulator. The pesky American struggled once he would pass me because he was no longer benefiting from the draft.

This is NOT a good tool if you want to do an easy aerobic ride. That's where VeloReality fits in :-)

BTW, most people on the course were riding at around 2.2 w/kg. And I think there are some virtual riders at various paces.
2014-12-21 12:08 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by Jason N Fred, I was hoping you would start another group for others. I think it is when you are at your best within BT.

Fred, I echo this sentiment. You have too much knowledge. Not sharing it would be a shame. And there is no doubt that it helps all parties involved.

2014-12-21 12:26 PM

Master
, California

Originally posted by BrotherTri Thanks Fred I just found that as well. That gives me a great start. EDIT Is that the model you have?

I also ride Powertap.  I have a Powertap Pro (2011) laced into a Kinlin rim, via Wheelbuilder.com.  At the time I think it was around $800 but I don't remember.  Nowadays you're looking at a G3 hub if you buy new.  I think the price range will be similar.  Wheelbuilder has a bunch of holiday codes now for $100-$200 off on custom builds, so at least browse them.

Why did I go with Powertap?  Well, the alternative at the time was Quarq which was out of my price range.  Although a couple years later I picked up a Zipp 900 PT so now I'm in it for more $$.  I do ride a couple different bikes, so swapping wheels around is a little easier than cranks.

Edit: also if you get a 10 speed PT hub, you can buy a steel freehub body.  I'll have to scrounge for a link if you're interested... they seem to be phasing them out.  I think Jason and I have them.  Anyhow the alloy freehub will get chewed to hell and it becomes hard to remove the cassette.  Steel adds a few grams but holds up much better.

Edited by spudone 2014-12-21 12:30 PM
2014-12-21 12:54 PM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Fred D Canadians are Fast, and crafty!

Not this one, it took me 3 or 4 days to realize the group had switched to the archives!  I just thought things were quiet....   

2014-12-21 1:06 PM
in reply to: BrotherTri

Elite
PEI, Canada

James, if you are looking for a training wheel with a PT, I've got one that I will be selling as I just switched Tab over to a Power2max as well.  It's an older model (pre-G3 era) either a Pro+ or SL+, I forget which - I'd have to check.  Wheel is a 32 hole Mavic open pro and I have a Wheelbuilder disc cover for it as well.

2014-12-21 5:16 PM
in reply to: cdban66

2014-12-21 5:24 PM

Extreme Veteran

Thanks! Yes, Marc has a thread in tt about mentor groups. Smaller format with attachment of at least ur first name is key to Civility.

I did that just to bring attention to them. Mostly to see how many say "What's a mentor group"

2014-12-21 5:54 PM

2014-12-21 6:20 PM

2014-12-21 6:23 PM

Extreme Veteran

Posted again in the thread... hope it stays ;-)

I saw it come, go, come back again
2014-12-21 8:59 PM

Edited by Fred D 2014-12-21 9:09 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37244 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 72658 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.