BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2014-12-30 1:22 PM
in reply to: axteraa

Master
, California
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!!

Originally posted by axteraa

Well, I almost made it to 2015 without complaining about the cold.  -23C with the windchill for my run today, Christmas day it was +14!

Bah... we're about 1 degree below freezing here today and I'm already grumpy.

2014-12-30 1:35 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by TankBoy Hey Matt - just checked your log and I see a whole lot of duplicated workouts there. So it seems you must have gotten automatic syncing with Garmin Connect working "just right." Ha-ha.

Yep - working like a charm!

We're on vaca in Santa Fe, so I'm now also trying to install garmin express on my tablet.  Goodness knows what mayhem that's going to cause!

Turns out, only about a month of my workouts were doubled up, so while my 2014 looks like a strong finish, I'll get that all sorted shortly and be back to my typical "meh." 

Matt

2014-12-30 1:38 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by spudone

Originally posted by axteraa

Well, I almost made it to 2015 without complaining about the cold.  -23C with the windchill for my run today, Christmas day it was +14!

Bah... we're about 1 degree below freezing here today and I'm already grumpy.

Kim and I just did an awesome run in Santa Fe - around 7 degrees (per her) and very windy, but BRIGHT sunshine and sparkling flakes of snow drifting through the air.  First time in the cold since we left Boston, but I really didn't mind!

(wish I just upload the dang run, though!).

Matt

2014-12-30 2:00 PM
in reply to: BrotherTri

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Originally posted by BrotherTri

Originally posted by Birkierunner

You guys are killing me with all the talk about registering for IMMT 2015   I seriously cannot get excited about signing up for CDA but I'll just suck it up for a year.

Here is some motivation for you Jim.  Sign up and see if you can catch me.    btw we are in the same AG 

did you guys hear what I think I just heard??

So you got a whole year to work on your swim.  

The swim is just about all I have left........ 

My fastest IM bike was 5:29 2010 Lack Placid 

My run......well lets just say a lot of people pass me.   

Well, I just paid for Tribiketransport to CDA 2015 using their end of year discount so I guess the M-T challenge has not been taken up this time around....although I haven't actually registered for the race yet

2014-12-30 3:28 PM
in reply to: Birkierunner

Master
, California

You guys are killing me with all the talk about registering for IMMT 2015   I seriously cannot get excited about signing up for CDA but I'll just suck it up for a year.

Here is some motivation for you Jim.  Sign up and see if you can catch me.    btw we are in the same AG 

did you guys hear what I think I just heard??

So you got a whole year to work on your swim.  

The swim is just about all I have left........ 

My fastest IM bike was 5:29 2010 Lack Placid 

My run......well lets just say a lot of people pass me.   

Well, I just paid for Tribiketransport to CDA 2015 using their end of year discount so I guess the M-T challenge has not been taken up this time around....although I haven't actually registered for the race yet

I'm still debating if I want to sign up for CDA.  Not sure if my running will be fully recovered from my calf issues.

2014-12-31 1:20 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Wow...lots to catch up on.  Loving all the pictures James has been posting on FB about his racing in Hawaii a few decades ago.  Hope everyone has a happy and safe new years celebration.

2014-12-31 1:21 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Oh...and btw, I'll probably start the new version of this group in about a week.  I looks like there are about 5 more groups still in the staging area that have not gone live.

2014-12-31 1:31 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Originally posted by Jason N

Oh...and btw, I'll probably start the new version of this group in about a week.  I looks like there are about 5 more groups still in the staging area that have not gone live.

Can't we all just post in the group Fred started instead?

2014-12-31 2:06 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Originally posted by TankBoy

Can't we all just post in the group Fred started instead?

LOL

2014-12-31 5:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

I didn't have a great run this afternoon, but as I was out running, I was reflecting on the year and had some thoughts.  I just wrote this in my training log and am going to put it here as well.  If you happen to remember this post and catch me going against what I'm saying right now, feel free to call me out.  I may require a swift kick in the asss every once in a while

Cold and windy out today, so I never felt particularly good on this run....lungs were kind of burning and my legs never really warmed up. It was supposed to be a five mile tempo run, but I just didn't quite have it in me today, so I cut it short at four miles and ran easy the rest of the way home.

This was my last run of 2014. I'm quite happy with how this year went for my running. I didn't quite make the improvements I was hoping for, but I expect they'll come eventually. I ran consistently (1442 miles) and stayed injury-free. I also ran pretty close to my (current, at the time) potential in three HIM's, and I think I owe that to consistent running and good volume.

I'm always hard on myself because I feel like I should be a better runner. Whenever I talk about my running, I always start by putting myself down (e.g. I know I'm a slow runner....blah, blah, blah), but my goal for 2015 is to just allow myself to be proud of my performance. If I get a PR, even if it doesn't meet my goal, I should still be proud of myself. I will never be the fastest runner, but I do have room for improvement and the drive to do so. There are good things in store for 2015

2014-12-31 5:24 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by ligersandtions

I didn't have a great run this afternoon, but as I was out running, I was reflecting on the year and had some thoughts.  I just wrote this in my training log and am going to put it here as well.  If you happen to remember this post and catch me going against what I'm saying right now, feel free to call me out.  I may require a swift kick in the asss every once in a while

Cold and windy out today, so I never felt particularly good on this run....lungs were kind of burning and my legs never really warmed up. It was supposed to be a five mile tempo run, but I just didn't quite have it in me today, so I cut it short at four miles and ran easy the rest of the way home.

This was my last run of 2014. I'm quite happy with how this year went for my running. I didn't quite make the improvements I was hoping for, but I expect they'll come eventually. I ran consistently (1442 miles) and stayed injury-free. I also ran pretty close to my (current, at the time) potential in three HIM's, and I think I owe that to consistent running and good volume.

I'm always hard on myself because I feel like I should be a better runner. Whenever I talk about my running, I always start by putting myself down (e.g. I know I'm a slow runner....blah, blah, blah), but my goal for 2015 is to just allow myself to be proud of my performance. If I get a PR, even if it doesn't meet my goal, I should still be proud of myself. I will never be the fastest runner, but I do have room for improvement and the drive to do so. There are good things in store for 2015

bookmarked !!

2014-12-31 6:33 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Originally posted by marcag 

bookmarked !!

Where is that post you had about taking a break from TT?  I think we need to book mark that one too!  

2014-12-31 6:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

bookmarked !!

Where is that post you had about taking a break from TT?  I think we need to book mark that one too!  

he is just too easy to prove wrong :-)
2014-12-31 7:05 PM

Master
Northern IL

bookmarked !!

Enthusiastically! 

2014-12-31 7:10 PM

Master
Northern IL

bookmarked !!

Starting tomorrow then?

2014-12-31 7:29 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by brigby1

bookmarked !!

Starting tomorrow then?

Actually I thought about this, especially Jason's comment to just ignore things even when wrong. While I understand, I can't.
If I choose to participate in a thread and wrong information is posted, I will not hesitate to provide a counter point of view.
I will go out of my way to stay out of a thread, but if someone chooses to take comments I made and twist them, I will respond.

Oh well, nobody is perfect :-)

2015-01-01 7:04 AM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT

Originally posted by brigby1

bookmarked !!

Starting tomorrow then?

Actually I thought about this, especially Jason's comment to just ignore things even when wrong. While I understand, I can't.
If I choose to participate in a thread and wrong information is posted, I will not hesitate to provide a counter point of view.
I will go out of my way to stay out of a thread, but if someone chooses to take comments I made and twist them, I will respond.

Oh well, nobody is perfect :-)

I thought you brought that thread around quite nicely today. With civility and accuracy.
It was perfect.

Hope the run went well.

2015-01-01 4:44 PM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

I know they're completely different races, but if you had a choice between Miami 70.3 and Silverman 70.3, which would you choose?  How long do you suppose registration will stay open?

Timing is good for me.  I'll have to travel for either.  I train in flat, windy, hot/humid conditions, so I'd be better trained for Miami 70.3, but enjoy the challenge and beauty of courses like Silverman.  I have some friends who are contemplating both races, so it'll be a joint decision, but just curious what the SBR Utopians have to say (I know Marc and Chris have raced both courses....others may have raced Miami and Vegas, so I imagine it'll be a fair comparison).  

2015-01-01 4:50 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Choose one or the other? Silverman without a doubt. Miami was fine but I'd never do it again. Silverman I enjoyed greatly and plan on 2015 (sort of biased that I can drive to it)

Edited by ChrisM 2015-01-01 4:54 PM
2015-01-01 4:52 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Happy new year all! Was finally able to hit my longtime goal of 1000 miles running, got to 1100 plus. Looking to better that this year. Swimming and biking suffered a bit but it's easier to get those back I think
2015-01-01 4:53 PM

User image

Dp

Edited by ChrisM 2015-01-01 4:53 PM

2015-01-01 5:24 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I haven't done Silverman or any race in the area but I wouldn't go back to Miami unless I was planning on doing exactly what I did last time, which was get on a cruise ship the next day.  It's a fine race but there is nothing terribly interesting about it unless you want flat, fast and warm.

2015-01-01 5:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I know they're completely different races, but if you had a choice between Miami 70.3 and Silverman 70.3, which would you choose?  How long do you suppose registration will stay open?

Timing is good for me.  I'll have to travel for either.  I train in flat, windy, hot/humid conditions, so I'd be better trained for Miami 70.3, but enjoy the challenge and beauty of courses like Silverman.  I have some friends who are contemplating both races, so it'll be a joint decision, but just curious what the SBR Utopians have to say (I know Marc and Chris have raced both courses....others may have raced Miami and Vegas, so I imagine it'll be a fair comparison).  

Swim : slight preference for Miami
Run : slight preference for Miami. Slightly easier.
Bike : the vegas course is much nicer, It comes down to do you want to do a super fast, one position, one speed for 90km or the ups and downs and scenery of the desert.

City : I like Miami more as a city. I spent all my time in South Beach and Little Havana. I am not a big Vegas strip fan.

I am thinking Bahrain but it's a long shot.

2015-01-01 7:29 PM

Master
Northern IL

I don't like the heat potential of either, but would go with Silverman for the course. I also find the surrounding area more interesting. I don't mean the Vegas strip either as I've been to the area several times, but never on that. Various parks all around there. 

Edited by brigby1 2015-01-01 7:30 PM
2015-01-01 8:14 PM

User image

Swim : slight preference for MiamiRun : slight preference for Miami. Slightly easier. Bike : the vegas course is much nicer, It comes down to do you want to do a super fast, one position, one speed for 90km or the ups and downs and scenery of the desert.City : I like Miami more as a city. I spent all my time in South Beach and Little Havana. I am not a big Vegas strip fan.I am thinking Bahrain but it's a long shot.
Funny have almost 180 degree views from Marc.

Swim - for me lake mead hands down, one of my favorite places to swim.

Bike- we agree here, the desert scenery beats downtown Miami and the long straight flat draft fest

run- I found difficulty to be about similar, but the three loops at henderson suited me better (frankly don't like either run all that much)

City- we stayed right at the host hotel so I saw some of Miami including south beach and wasn't too impressed. That said, I wouldn't go to the strip either as its not my scene (last year we drove out about noon and saw seinfeld then left at 8 the next morning) but if you've never been it's a place to see at least once. The race isn't really in vegas anyway, but about :20 away

Race direction- frank lowery (silverman) ran world's and the long course Champs and really knows how to put on a first class race.

Crowd- holy cow, 3000 people at Miami. Biggest transition area I've ever seen and the expected ridiculous drafting. That said, the main roads are closed, whereas silverman is not on closed roads. I started in the awa wave so didn't have a crowd but the later waves looked a bit bunched

Edited by ChrisM 2015-01-01 8:15 PM

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37388 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 72760 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.