BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2015-01-05 7:41 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!!
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Originally posted by TankBoy

Funny how a coach can plan a set of intervals to be juuuuuust hard enough so that by the end of each one you don't think you can do another, but then after the recovery you are like "OK, maybe one more wouldn't be TOTALLY impossible...."

I keep thinking it's time for a coach, and reading the above is tilting me there.  I **think** (as in, am pretty darn sure) that I'm not getting anywhere near the most out of my time spent working out.  Too many meh sessions on the bike, for instance.

That said, having just strained my achilles, I'm likely not going in on one until I know I can compete this year.

Anyone have an opinion on using a coach while recovering from an injury?  Is it, perhaps, even more useful - or less so in your estimation? 

Matt

Matt, read that on Strava about your Achilles - that is a complete bummer. I have been working with the same coach for 5 years now, and have been really injured twice during that time: bike crash/separated shoulder and trail run tumble/pinched meniscus. During both recoveries I found having a coach to be invaluable. But he knew me well and also had direct interface with my Doc and PT, so all. Together they worked through a coordinated plan to get me rehabbed and well again. The meniscus injury was probably the most similar to your yours in that I couldn't run at all and my coach was very creative in getting me to do all the things I needed to do and holding me accountable to doing them - that is something a PT nor Doc can really do. He also kept me convinced that if I just trusted and stuck to the process everything would work out. He really kept my rehab the number one priority and I know I would have just gotten frustrated on my own. Through alll the work he had me do I was able to run every step of my IM marathon with hardly any real running all summer - could never have done that on my own. Now all that said, I don't know if I would GET a coach to help me work through injury; it really helped me to already have a good working relationship with mine, and I think the same for him. He understood exactly what he could expect from me and how to manage me well. Do you have someone in mind that you already know somewhat or has that kind of experience? Not sure if Shane is reading the thread since it got archived, but he could probably offer some great advice at least on how to interview and qualify a coach that could help you out. Everybody is different in their needs, but the number one thing I get out of my coach is accountability to not only do the things I am supposed to do, but to actually do them right so that I am prepared to do the next thing right. And that leads to consistency, and, well, we all know what that leads to.

2015-01-05 7:42 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
...and now I am off to my doc to work on my elbow - been fighting a case of tendinosis that is unrelated to training, but it sure puts a damper on swimming. Masters finished up today with 1600 yards of kicking, which was good for the elbow, but just "oof."
2015-01-05 7:50 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
See Marc this is probable why I am what I am. I do these kind of workouts and don't even know them. I just call it no pain no gain.

2015-01-05 8:02 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

Funny how a coach can plan a set of intervals to be juuuuuust hard enough so that by the end of each one you don't think you can do another, but then after the recovery you are like "OK, maybe one more wouldn't be TOTALLY impossible...."

I keep thinking it's time for a coach, and reading the above is tilting me there.  I **think** (as in, am pretty darn sure) that I'm not getting anywhere near the most out of my time spent working out.  Too many meh sessions on the bike, for instance.

That said, having just strained my achilles, I'm likely not going in on one until I know I can compete this year.

Anyone have an opinion on using a coach while recovering from an injury?  Is it, perhaps, even more useful - or less so in your estimation? 

Matt

Sorry to here this Matt. I hope you recovery we quickly.

I have never used a coach so no opinion there. Look at the calf mussels as well when dealing with achilles.

2015-01-05 8:05 AM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Matt

I am no help on the injury front but a couple things I noticed from working with a coach this past year.

1.   Really focusing on my weaknesses.  I always had trouble letting go of my strength (run) and focusing big time on my swim and bike.  I busted through big plateaus in both as a result
  2.  Not peaking too soon.  When I had 'A' races late in the year I would always struggle.  I would put a lot of physical and mental strain into the winter and early summer months and burned out by late summer.  This was corrected and would be tough for me to find that balance without a coach.
  3. Change in workout and volume stimulus.  When I was self coached I would tend to put the same workouts and durations and fall back into my comfort zone workouts when in doubt.  The comfort zone was not actually EZ but just the same stimulus.  A coach had me doing some completely different workouts and amazing how hard a steady 4 hour high Z2 ride can feel just turning the pedals.

I had the same doubts you are experiencing which is why I took the plunge.  It would be hard for me to go back on my own now.

2015-01-05 8:29 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

• ..and now I am off to my doc to work on my elbow - been fighting a case of tendinosis that is unrelated to training, but it sure puts a damper on swimming. Masters finished up today with 1600 yards of kicking, which was good for the elbow, but just "oof."

• You could swim other strokes to help relieve the repetition on the elbows. Do you use paddles? Because those can cause more stress on the body. I am also wondering how much bend in your elbow you have when you're pulling through the water. Or are you locking your elbow?

Just thoughts to look at Rusty. Hope it gets better.

2015-01-05 9:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by marcag

There is a tool in Raceday and Golden Cheetah that allows you to design such workouts. It uses a concept of CP and W' W' is your anaerobic work capacity. CP is your critical power. Both are determined by a 5'/20' test. When you ride above CP, your W' descreases. When it hits 0, you fail. Failure acutally feels like it's occurring a bit above 0 Here is a workout a two weeks ago. 3x7'@VO2. Look at the yellow line that decreases then increases on rest. You can actually see the model before doing the workout and adjusts rest interval, rest power, interval power accordingly to predict failure. I have my W' set to 0 and I let it drop to -16000 before I hit failure. In this plot, I could have done one more interval When you are able to complete workouts and go below your 0 W', it's time to retest since your CP or W' has probably gone up. This model was published by Dr Skiba.

Intra-workout TSS!  Do you follow this real time, or is it something that you use between workouts to set your interval targets (sorry if that should be obvious)?

Matt

I create a workout file (erg or mrc),
    From that I can see what my W' will be if I follow the workout to the letter

In this case, it was post workout.

So if your coach says 20min w/u at 65% then 3x7min at 110% with three minute recovery at 65%, 15min cool down.
    You put this in an mrc file, execute it in Golden Cheetah, TrainerROad, Computrainer S/W......and then analyze the tcx

I am coaching 2 people and this is how we do it : I model the mrc/erg file, send it to them, they execute and I look at their power files for various parameters to adjust the next batch of workouts
    2015-01-05 9:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Matt

I am an expert at achilles problems ;-)
    I should say I am an expert at having achilles problems

I have bouts with it for about 3 years. Both legs at one point or another, the right being the worst

Work with a physio.
    heel drops were by far the most efficient for me. When I see it flaring up, I do them and it gets much better
    ART did a lot of good.
    I could run during it, but slowed down significantly until it got better

BIG mistake I made last year. I got through my achilles problems in January and tried to accelerate catching up and boom, injured elsewhere.

It was always the result of ramping up too quickly. I swear if you plotted my ATL (acute training load) against my physio costs, you would see the pattern
    2015-01-05 9:30 AM
    in reply to: 0

User image

Master
    ...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by BrotherTri
    Originally posted by TankBoy ...and now I am off to my doc to work on my elbow - been fighting a case of tendinosis that is unrelated to training, but it sure puts a damper on swimming. Masters finished up today with 1600 yards of kicking, which was good for the elbow, but just "oof."
    You could swim other strokes to help relieve the repetition on the elbows. Do you use paddles? Because those can cause more stress on the body. I am also wondering how much bend in your elbow you have when you're pulling through the water. Or are you locking your elbow? Just thoughts to look at Rusty. Hope it gets better.

Hey thanks James - according to the doc this is one of those things that can be extremely stubborn, but it seems to be going in the right direction. Following is TMI:

The issue at the moment is with the point of connection where my Pronator Teres muscle connects with my elbow. This muscle is used mainly to pronate the forearm (if you hold your arm straight out this would rotate your thumb down, not up). It is a grip and rotate injury that is most common to golfers. It flared up during a bout of unstructured training due to a lot of travel where I was gripping and heaving around luggage in and out of trunks of cars and overhead bins every day. Without any resistance, the Pronator Teres really doesn't do anything when you flex the elbow, but it does get recruited when bending the elbow under resistance. So what I notice with swimming is that a correct high elbow catch can aggravate it, while an incorrect deeper, more straight arm catch is ok. So, what I have been instructed to do is to dive my hand somewhat deeper than I normally would and pull with a more straight arm for now while we are working through it. I have to be careful to dive my hands a little deeper on entry rather than entering shallow and then simply pressing it down, which tends to lift the trunk of the body up while pressing the legs down, causing some slight porpoising. I am also supposed to do this with both arms so as to not introduce any extra freakiness into my stroke. This works the shoulders more instead of the lats, so to avoid any trouble there none of my efforts are harder than T-pace, even on the shorter stuff. So that just means I move down a lane or two at masters and make new friends! All that is an example of the kind of instruction I get from my coach (in addition to checking in and making sure I am doing my PT), who has worked through the issues with my Doctor and developed a plan to keep me going while I am rehabbing this dumb little thing.

Edited to add: Oh, and at the moment paddles are a definite no-no, so when we have a pull set I just use a buoy by itself.

Edited by TankBoy 2015-01-05 9:32 AM
    2015-01-05 9:39 AM

User image

Master
    ...at home in The ATL

There is a tool in Raceday and Golden Cheetah that allows you to design such workouts. It uses a concept of CP and W' W' is your anaerobic work capacity. CP is your critical power. Both are determined by a 5'/20' test. When you ride above CP, your W' descreases. When it hits 0, you fail. Failure acutally feels like it's occurring a bit above 0 Here is a workout a two weeks ago. 3x7'@VO2. Look at the yellow line that decreases then increases on rest. You can actually see the model before doing the workout and adjusts rest interval, rest power, interval power accordingly to predict failure. I have my W' set to 0 and I let it drop to -16000 before I hit failure. In this plot, I could have done one more interval When you are able to complete workouts and go below your 0 W', it's time to retest since your CP or W' has probably gone up. This model was published by Dr Skiba.

Intra-workout TSS!  Do you follow this real time, or is it something that you use between workouts to set your interval targets (sorry if that should be obvious)?

Matt

I create a workout file (erg or mrc), From that I can see what my W' will be if I follow the workout to the letter In this case, it was post workout. So if your coach says 20min w/u at 65% then 3x7min at 110% with three minute recovery at 65%, 15min cool down. You put this in an mrc file, execute it in Golden Cheetah, TrainerROad, Computrainer S/W......and then analyze the tcx I am coaching 2 people and this is how we do it : I model the mrc/erg file, send it to them, they execute and I look at their power files for various parameters to adjust the next batch of workouts

That is very cool stuff Marc. I know my coach incorporates WKO somehow to help in predicting workout metrics, do you know if WKO can do similar? From my end I like it as it means we hardly ever test; instead assigned efforts are predicted and adjusted by his experience coupled with analysis of previous workouts.

2015-01-05 9:51 AM

User image

Master
    ...at home in The ATL

Matt

I am an expert at achilles problems ;-) I should say I am an expert at having achilles problems I have bouts with it for about 3 years. Both legs at one point or another, the right being the worst Work with a physio. heel drops were by far the most efficient for me. When I see it flaring up, I do them and it gets much better ART did a lot of good. I could run during it, but slowed down significantly until it got better BIG mistake I made last year. I got through my achilles problems in January and tried to accelerate catching up and boom, injured elsewhere. It was always the result of ramping up too quickly. I swear if you plotted my ATL (acute training load) against my physio costs, you would see the pattern

Exactly the same here Marc, every last bit of it! I always think of the advent of my achilles issues as the marker between my young self and old self: when they first came on at 40 years old I thought I was done running for good. After a year of internet doctoring it and trying to manage it myself I finally went to a sports doctor and he immediately prescribed a round of PT, Deep Tissue Massage, and ART. After 5 weeks of very aggressive treatment, I was pain free and running again. I became a believer and felt like a complete idiot for not jumping on it sooner as a singular priority and thus losing an entire year of training. Since then I have learned that I can no longer train like I did when I was in my 20s and 30s, which actually means that I train a lot smarter now than I used to. And while I am probably WAY over-zealous about it, I skip the internet diagnosis completely and instead immediately head for the doc on the occasion I feel something coming on.

2015-01-05 10:00 AM
    in reply to: Ryan Mac

User image

Master
    ...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by Ryan Mac

Matt

I am no help on the injury front but a couple things I noticed from working with a coach this past year.

1.   Really focusing on my weaknesses.  I always had trouble letting go of my strength (run) and focusing big time on my swim and bike.  I busted through big plateaus in both as a result
    2.  Not peaking too soon.  When I had 'A' races late in the year I would always struggle.  I would put a lot of physical and mental strain into the winter and early summer months and burned out by late summer.  This was corrected and would be tough for me to find that balance without a coach.
    3. Change in workout and volume stimulus.  When I was self coached I would tend to put the same workouts and durations and fall back into my comfort zone workouts when in doubt.  The comfort zone was not actually EZ but just the same stimulus.  A coach had me doing some completely different workouts and amazing how hard a steady 4 hour high Z2 ride can feel just turning the pedals.

I had the same doubts you are experiencing which is why I took the plunge.  It would be hard for me to go back on my own now.

Hey Ryan - good comments all around. I haven't thought about too much, but you are right in pointing out the balance a coach can bring if you are like me (and it sounds maybe like you?) and can't manage it on our own. Being able and interested in training and racing all 12 months of the year is great - left to my own devices I would always be smoked by early August and then shut down until February or March, and then have a HUGE hole to dig out of. I hate thinking back on how many years I did that.

2015-01-05 10:04 AM

User image

Master
    Mechanicsburg, PA

Originally posted by TankBoy ...and now I am off to my doc to work on my elbow - been fighting a case of tendinosis that is unrelated to training, but it sure puts a damper on swimming. Masters finished up today with 1600 yards of kicking, which was good for the elbow, but just "oof."
    You could swim other strokes to help relieve the repetition on the elbows. Do you use paddles? Because those can cause more stress on the body. I am also wondering how much bend in your elbow you have when you're pulling through the water. Or are you locking your elbow? Just thoughts to look at Rusty. Hope it gets better.

Hey thanks James - according to the doc this is one of those things that can be extremely stubborn, but it seems to be going in the right direction. Following is TMI:

The issue at the moment is with the point of connection where my Pronator Teres muscle connects with my elbow. This muscle is used mainly to pronate the forearm (if you hold your arm straight out this would rotate your thumb down, not up). It is a grip and rotate injury that is most common to golfers. It flared up during a bout of unstructured training due to a lot of travel where I was gripping and heaving around luggage in and out of trunks of cars and overhead bins every day. Without any resistance, the Pronator Teres really doesn't do anything when you flex the elbow, but it does get recruited when bending the elbow under resistance. So what I notice with swimming is that a correct high elbow catch can aggravate it, while an incorrect deeper, more straight arm catch is ok. So, what I have been instructed to do is to dive my hand somewhat deeper than I normally would and pull with a more straight arm for now while we are working through it. I have to be careful to dive my hands a little deeper on entry rather than entering shallow and then simply pressing it down, which tends to lift the trunk of the body up while pressing the legs down, causing some slight porpoising. I am also supposed to do this with both arms so as to not introduce any extra freakiness into my stroke. This works the shoulders more instead of the lats, so to avoid any trouble there none of my efforts are harder than T-pace, even on the shorter stuff. So that just means I move down a lane or two at masters and make new friends! All that is an example of the kind of instruction I get from my coach (in addition to checking in and making sure I am doing my PT), who has worked through the issues with my Doctor and developed a plan to keep me going while I am rehabbing this dumb little thing.

Edited to add: Oh, and at the moment paddles are a definite no-no, so when we have a pull set I just use a buoy by itself.

Rusty I tend to have a flair up of that little bugger as well. when I start doing over 10000 yards a week. I have found that changing the angles of attack on the catch and or a little more elongation or shorten the stroke helps me. Not that I would do it every swim but when it flairs up.

2015-01-05 10:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Matt

I create a workout file (erg or mrc), From that I can see what my W' will be if I follow the workout to the letter In this case, it was post workout. So if your coach says 20min w/u at 65% then 3x7min at 110% with three minute recovery at 65%, 15min cool down. You put this in an mrc file, execute it in Golden Cheetah, TrainerROad, Computrainer S/W......and then analyze the tcx I am coaching 2 people and this is how we do it : I model the mrc/erg file, send it to them, they execute and I look at their power files for various parameters to adjust the next batch of workouts

That is very cool stuff Marc. I know my coach incorporates WKO somehow to help in predicting workout metrics, do you know if WKO can do similar? From my end I like it as it means we hardly ever test; instead assigned efforts are predicted and adjusted by his experience coupled with analysis of previous workouts.

WKO does not do this but it does have ways of figuring out how hard a workout is going to be.
    Looking at the results of workout over time he can usually see if you are making progress.

The W' model is also applicable to running.

Of course this can all be done by experience, but it is a nice tool to cross check things every so often.

2015-01-05 11:19 AM
    in reply to: BrotherTri

User image

Master
    ...at home in The ATL

Rusty I tend to have a flair up of that little bugger as well. when I start doing over 10000 yards a week. I have found that changing the angles of attack on the catch and or a little more elongation or shorten the stroke helps me. Not that I would do it every swim but when it flairs up.

Yup James - that is what I do as well. Free and Back strokes are ok. One arm butterfly is ok; breast stroke is completely out. That is a bummer as most of my swimming currently is at masters, and it stinks to not be able to do all the strokes.

2015-01-05 12:12 PM

Master
    , California

Yup James - that is what I do as well. Free and Back strokes are ok. One arm butterfly is ok; breast stroke is completely out. That is a bummer as most of my swimming currently is at masters, and it stinks to not be able to do all the strokes.

For masters, if everyone else is doing breaststroke, grab a kickboard and just do the kick.  You'll keep up reasonably well.

2015-01-05 12:17 PM
    in reply to: spudone

User image

Master
    ...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by spudone

For masters, if everyone else is doing breaststroke, grab a kickboard and just do the kick.  You'll keep up reasonably well.

You obviously have never seen my kick! 

2015-01-05 12:22 PM
    in reply to: axteraa

User image

Originally posted by axteraa

Sometime soon I need to actually think about next this summer beyond Alcatraz.  

FTFY

2015 is upon us folks...and with that, the new thread is in the staging area.

SBR U

I liked Marc's idea of just cutting it down to the U.  

2015-01-05 12:34 PM

Master
    Northern IL

I've been lapped when trying to do breast stroke kicking. yes, they had to come around on the left.

2015-01-05 1:07 PM

User image

Elite
    PEI, Canada

Originally posted by TankBoywhen they first came on at 40 years old I thought I was done running for good. 

Damn... I've only got 9 days of running left until I fall apart?

2015-01-05 1:12 PM

User image

Master
    ...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by TankBoywhen they first came on at 40 years old I thought I was done running for good. 

Damn... I've only got 9 days of running left until I fall apart?

Enjoy it while you can.

2015-01-05 1:13 PM
    in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
    ...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by brigby1

I've been lapped when trying to do breast stroke kicking. yes, they had to come around on the left.

LOL. Well, Ok, snickered a little. but it was out loud.

2015-01-05 1:17 PM

User image

Elite
    PEI, Canada

Originally posted by brigby1

LOL. Well, Ok, snickered a little. but it was out loud.

Breaststroke kicking was the only time I could keep up with the kids in a kick set!

2015-01-05 1:18 PM
    in reply to: Fred D

User image

Master
    ...at home in The ATL

NEW THREAD! NEW THREAD!

How are we EVER going to catch up with the Mantees if we keep this one open????

2015-01-05 1:21 PM

User image

Elite
    PEI, Canada

I've got that W' graph setup in GoldenCheetah as well and it's a pretty darn good predictor of failure.  I've never set it up ahead of time to see when it suggest I will fail but if I'm doing a workout and I get to the end of the 4th interval of 5 and feel totally wiped and struggle on the 5th, I generally see W' dipping pretty close to 0 at that point.  I've been able to push it negative when doing intervals in the 15-30s range (not so much in the longer stuff like 2-4 mins) lately so I suspect the next round of testing will result in some changes.

New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
    Views: 37549 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
    Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
    Views: 72925 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : March 12, 2014
    author : TeamMPI
    comments : 1
    The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
    author : IndoIronYanti
    comments : 4
    MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
    date : September 15, 2011
    comments : 0
    Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 25, 2007
    author : Tri Swim Coach
    comments : 0
    Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.