BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2014-07-22 12:47 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!!

Originally posted by axteraa

Race report is done.  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=520392

I'm curious what you all think I should have done on the bike.  I had a great pacer to legally draft off and on the return leg my power was a bit below target but I'm not sure that passing and forcing me to work harder would have gained me that much.

I think it's a tough call.  In most cases, like Ben mentioned, I would have rested for 30ish seconds once I seen the power drop then made a hard surge to pass.  But since you were going downhill roughly 27 mph (I hate metric ), the legal draft effect increases and the increase in speed you would have seen by putting down 20 extra watts while up front would have been extremely minimal.

I tried playing around with cycling power lab.  

I tried running 5 scenarios.

1. 85 kg rider/bike, .270 CdA, default temp/humidity/wind, -1.1% slope, 10 km segment, 234 watts = 44.02 km/hr, 13:37

2. 85 kg rider/bike, .270 CdA, default temp/humidity/wind, -1.1% slope, 10 km segment, 255 watts = 45.02 km/hr, 13:17

3. 85 kg rider/bike, .275 CdA, default temp/humidity/wind, -1.1% slope, 10 km segment, 255 watts = 44.83 km/hr, 13:23

4.  85 kg rider/bike, .280 CdA, default temp/humidity/wind, -1.1% slope, 10 km segment, 255 watts = 44.55 km/hr, 13:28

5. 85 kg rider/bike, .285 CdA, default temp/humidity/wind, -1.1% slope, 10 km segment, 255 watts = 44.28 km/hr, 13:33

Scenario #1 and #2 is simply comparing what speeds you would have gone at two different power levels assuming there was no aerodynamic difference.  Scenario 3, 4 and 5 tries to assume a how fast you would have gone had you made the pass, held your 255 watts, but you suffered a penalty in CdA because you are no longer getting the legal draft.  I have no clue what the penalty actually is in terms of CdA for a legal draft (WAY to many factors), but I just did 3 scenarios where the CdA increases by 0.05 each time.

You can see that even in scenario 5 with a 0.15 CdA penalty, (which is pretty significant), you still end up 4 seconds faster on the bike...but the question is what does that cost you on the run?  If you were extra cautious on staying legal (an extra bike length back), then maybe you were closer to scenario #3 which would have let you bike 14 seconds faster.  Over the course of a 5k run, that's a pretty significant gap.

Maybe Marc can chime in and clean up my math and assumptions.  Certainly an interesting thing to ponder.  But if you were not going downhill and speeds were lower, I would be more inclined to pass as the impacts of air resistance are not as magnified.

Edited by Jason N 2014-07-22 12:52 PM

2014-07-22 1:16 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Champion
Originally posted by TankBoy

Originally posted by mndymond Team!! I've been on a bit of a hiatus from BT. Successfully finished R1 and no in house call until next June!! Yay! Signed myself up for the Victoria marathon in Oct so Shane has me building back up! Last month struggled through Alcatraz and met Chris down in San Fran! It was an kicking to get back in gear.

Hey Melissa!  Good to hear from you.

PS: I would totally be up for 25x100k. Maybe I'll interview out east this fall for ER and we can have a kick workout Arend? Lol

Ummm, I think I'm sick that day?    

Hey Melissa - welcome back - very glad to hear that you are doing well and getting your training back in gear somewhat. It can be tough to get your schedule back in order with all the work stuff you have going on. I know Shane will get you straight. Keep is posted!

Lol. I think I exasperate Shane. Building up my run as I travel through western Canada. At least the flat land is next!

Got a run and easy swim today. Debating Stanley park vs Kitsilano. I know tough life. Shift at 1600 tonight.
2014-07-22 1:18 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Champion

Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by Divemedic so first race on sunday..what should or shouldn't be eating leading up to the race

I just eat normally.  

Me too.  Unless of course your normal food includes things that you know upset your guts (spicy mexican, Tim Horton's coffee.....)

Good luck in your race!

I eat normally as well. Race night is usually something very bland. Not the night to try out new things! Haha.
2014-07-22 1:19 PM

User image

Champion

Originally posted by mndymond Team!! I've been on a bit of a hiatus from BT. Successfully finished R1 and no in house call until next June!! Yay! Signed myself up for the Victoria marathon in Oct so Shane has me building back up! Last month struggled through Alcatraz and met Chris down in San Fran! It was an kicking to get back in gear.

Hey Melissa!  Good to hear from you.

PS: I would totally be up for 25x100k. Maybe I'll interview out east this fall for ER and we can have a kick workout Arend? Lol

Ummm, I think I'm sick that day?    

I'll bring medicine.
2014-07-22 2:27 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Race report is done.  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=520392

I'm curious what you all think I should have done on the bike.  I had a great pacer to legally draft off and on the return leg my power was a bit below target but I'm not sure that passing and forcing me to work harder would have gained me that much.

I think it's a tough call.  In most cases, like Ben mentioned, I would have rested for 30ish seconds once I seen the power drop then made a hard surge to pass.  But since you were going downhill roughly 27 mph (I hate metric ), the legal draft effect increases and the increase in speed you would have seen by putting down 20 extra watts while up front would have been extremely minimal.

1. 85 kg rider/bike, .270 CdA, default temp/humidity/wind, -1.1% slope, 10 km segment, 234 watts = 44.02 km/hr, 13:37

2. 85 kg rider/bike, .270 CdA, default temp/humidity/wind, -1.1% slope, 10 km segment, 255 watts = 45.02 km/hr, 13:17

3. 85 kg rider/bike, .275 CdA, default temp/humidity/wind, -1.1% slope, 10 km segment, 255 watts = 44.83 km/hr, 13:23

4.  85 kg rider/bike, .280 CdA, default temp/humidity/wind, -1.1% slope, 10 km segment, 255 watts = 44.55 km/hr, 13:28

5. 85 kg rider/bike, .285 CdA, default temp/humidity/wind, -1.1% slope, 10 km segment, 255 watts = 44.28 km/hr, 13:33

Scenario #1 and #2 is simply comparing what speeds you would have gone at two different power levels assuming there was no aerodynamic difference.  Scenario 3, 4 and 5 tries to assume a how fast you would have gone had you made the pass, held your 255 watts, but you suffered a penalty in CdA because you are no longer getting the legal draft.  I have no clue what the penalty actually is in terms of CdA for a legal draft (WAY to many factors), but I just did 3 scenarios where the CdA increases by 0.05 each time.

You can see that even in scenario 5 with a 0.15 CdA penalty, (which is pretty significant), you still end up 4 seconds faster on the bike...but the question is what does that cost you on the run?  If you were extra cautious on staying legal (an extra bike length back), then maybe you were closer to scenario #3 which would have let you bike 14 seconds faster.  Over the course of a 5k run, that's a pretty significant gap.

Maybe Marc can chime in and clean up my math and assumptions.  Certainly an interesting thing to ponder.  But if you were not going downhill and speeds were lower, I would be more inclined to pass as the impacts of air resistance are not as magnified.

very cool stuff Jason.

FWIW Arend I personally wouldn't expect to be able to hold my overall goal watts on a downhill section of a course - the aerobic overhead would be too high, at least for us little underpowered guys. It can be a bit easier for bigger dudes as I understand it though. I would have passed in that situation if I wasn't taxed aerobically. For all you know he may have simply slowed down because he didn't want to tow YOU back to T2. That is the only way you could find out if he had enough left to stay with you (then you let him overtake you again and you both then work the legal draft back to T2) or you would ride away at your goal watts. I don't have a good enough swim to hardly ever be with folks strong enough to work legally together on the bike, but I am close enough to see that the guys at the front do whenever the opportunity arises. Nothing wrong with that so long as you keep it legal.

2014-07-22 3:04 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

Master
, California

Originally posted by ChrisM

Originally posted by brigby1

With something like a 20 watt drop, I probably would have gone for it. It's also a sprint where the answer is always go for it.

For the pass, this is where a hard surge and the ability to recover while still going hard come in. Then the guy is less likely to hang with you for the tow. If you can't pull that off, then it may have been better to sit in, or at least go that bit easier until you can.

(I'm so behind on all the race reports!)

Hard to know how much of the wattage drop was due to the (legal) draft or the downhill.  I'm with Ben though    I would have tried to pass wide with a surge, put some landscape between us and then settle back in.  Of course, you might pay for that surge on the run big time....  But in a sprint the bill isn't very big, and looks like the run was .2 k short anyway   :P

I'm with the "go for it" opinion for a sprint, maybe even an Oly.  Last Oly I did, I gave everything I had on the bike and still had a good run, for me.  But I guess that depends if your knee was healed and how it was feeling.

The other part of me says you were already averaging right around 24mph which is nothing to sneeze at.

2014-07-22 3:09 PM

User image

!

Oh man, wish I hadn't seen this #gonnagetcrushedinmilwaukee!!!!      Looks like a great fit. 

2014-07-22 3:18 PM

User image

!

Oh man, wish I hadn't seen this #gonnagetcrushedinmilwaukee!!!!      Looks like a great fit. 

I wouldn't worry that much with your 1300 watt FTP.  Besides...Rusty doesn't even use his bike shoes.  

2014-07-22 3:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

!

You should just hope he continues to ride with his feet on top of his shoes instead of in them

2014-07-22 3:53 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Awwww, now you-all have hurt my feelings. You know I am from Alabama and none of us even HAVE shoes!!!!

2014-07-22 4:38 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

!

I wouldn't worry that much with your 1300 watt FTP.  Besides...Rusty doesn't even use his bike shoes.  

shhhhh, that was my secret weapon he isn't supposed to know about.

And he is brave enough to race as number 13, doesn't even flip it over

Edited by ChrisM 2014-07-22 4:39 PM

2014-07-22 5:57 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

very cool stuff Jason.

FWIW Arend I personally wouldn't expect to be able to hold my overall goal watts on a downhill section of a course - the aerobic overhead would be too high, at least for us little underpowered guys. It can be a bit easier for bigger dudes as I understand it though. I would have passed in that situation if I wasn't taxed aerobically. For all you know he may have simply slowed down because he didn't want to tow YOU back to T2. That is the only way you could find out if he had enough left to stay with you (then you let him overtake you again and you both then work the legal draft back to T2) or you would ride away at your goal watts. I don't have a good enough swim to hardly ever be with folks strong enough to work legally together on the bike, but I am close enough to see that the guys at the front do whenever the opportunity arises. Nothing wrong with that so long as you keep it legal.

Thanks for all the thoughts on my question and thanks Jason for running some numbers.  Makes me feel that even if I should have passed, I didn't throw away huge amounts of time (although 23 seconds would have moved me up to 10th OA....).

Looking more closely at the data, for the first half of the return leg I was still at 245w so not down so much.  After that it dropped down to 220 for the rest right after we went up and over an overpass and had a spike in power.  That probably would have been the time to pass as that spike may have gassed him a bit and caused the drop in power.

2014-07-22 6:00 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

!

shhhhh, that was my secret weapon he isn't supposed to know about.

And he is brave enough to race as number 13, doesn't even flip it over

Rusty, that's a great looking fit and a great looking ride!  I especially like the color coordinated water bottle with the red lid accent.  You need to get a touch of red on the helmet somehow.  

2014-07-22 7:37 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-07-23 6:35 AM

2014-07-23 7:29 AM
in reply to: Fred D

Master
Northern IL

Still amazed with some things at Racine. Kinda wish I had gone to see it. Pro list includes Lionel Sanders, Starky, Tim O'Donnell, Rapp and some other regional guys. Sanders (again) broke under 1:10 on the run and caught Starky with ~half a mile left. Women had Melissa Hauschildt and Helle Frederickson battling it out.

Also looking at the age group results. Scott Bowe puts up a 4:17 and gets 5th in M35-39. Another guy I know is trying to get a pro card ended up 5th OA with a 4:14, and was behind the same 4 guys.

2014-07-23 9:23 AM

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

very cool stuff Jason.

Thanks for all the thoughts on my question and thanks Jason for running some numbers.  Makes me feel that even if I should have passed, I didn't throw away huge amounts of time (although 23 seconds would have moved me up to 10th OA....).

Looking more closely at the data, for the first half of the return leg I was still at 245w so not down so much.  After that it dropped down to 220 for the rest right after we went up and over an overpass and had a spike in power.  That probably would have been the time to pass as that spike may have gassed him a bit and caused the drop in power.

Arend - I had the same situation at my last race and same thoughts in my head during the ride.

I was pushing 245-250W on the out section to the turnaround where these 2 guys caught me and passed me.  I was able to get in a legal draft and my power started dropping.  I passed them 2 times and each time they re-passed.  I figured since I was riding so well on the way out and they caught me that it was probably best to get the aid of  legal draft and save it for the run which worked out well.  My power dropped to 235-240 for the way back.

2014-07-23 11:19 AM
in reply to: brigby1

Elite
Ontario

Still amazed with some things at Racine. Kinda wish I had gone to see it. Pro list includes Lionel Sanders, Starky, Tim O'Donnell, Rapp and some other regional guys. Sanders (again) broke under 1:10 on the run and caught Starky with ~half a mile left. Women had Melissa Hauschildt and Helle Frederickson battling it out.

Also looking at the age group results. Scott Bowe puts up a 4:17 and gets 5th in M35-39. Another guy I know is trying to get a pro card ended up 5th OA with a 4:14, and was behind the same 4 guys.

It's nice to have a local guy (Sanders) to cheer for.  Good story about where he's come from and where he is today as well.  If he figures out the swim, he'll be tough to beat at this distance.

2014-07-23 3:42 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Originally posted by GoFaster

It's nice to have a local guy (Sanders) to cheer for.  Good story about where he's come from and where he is today as well.  If he figures out the swim, he'll be tough to beat at this distance.

Sanders did the Grand Rapids HIM 3 or 4 years ago when it was a small race.  He swam like 38 minutes or something and then demolished everybody on the bike and run to win.  Amazing that he has that swim down to 26 minutes already.  I would say he is well on his way.

2014-07-23 5:09 PM
in reply to: rymac

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by rymac

Sanders did the Grand Rapids HIM 3 or 4 years ago when it was a small race.  He swam like 38 minutes or something and then demolished everybody on the bike and run to win.  Amazing that he has that swim down to 26 minutes already.  I would say he is well on his way.

and if you read his race reports, it seems like he's still just figuring out the bike too.

2014-07-23 7:15 PM

Have my first SOS-specific workout this Sunday

2.5 miles easy run
.5 mile swim
4 miles easy run
.5 mile swim
2.5 miles easy run
.5 mile swim
1 mile run

This is all in succession, in the ocean and up in the adjacent hills, carrying everything I need with me, swimming with shoes and carrying cap/goggle on the run (may set up a bottle at the car as the "aid station").  I've switched to zoot ultra tts for the shoes, they'll fit better shoved down the shorts and drain better.  Also trying to figure out how best to do the shoe off /on thing.  I'm told it's best to run into the water, take off shoes there, and put them back on before getting out.

It will be interesting, if nothing else......

2014-07-23 8:27 PM

Have my first SOS-specific workout this Sunday

2.5 miles easy run
.5 mile swim
4 miles easy run
.5 mile swim
2.5 miles easy run
.5 mile swim
1 mile run

This is all in succession, in the ocean and up in the adjacent hills, carrying everything I need with me, swimming with shoes and carrying cap/goggle on the run (may set up a bottle at the car as the "aid station").  I've switched to zoot ultra tts for the shoes, they'll fit better shoved down the shorts and drain better.  Also trying to figure out how best to do the shoe off /on thing.  I'm told it's best to run into the water, take off shoes there, and put them back on before getting out.

It will be interesting, if nothing else......

The look on the faces of random strangers in the area would be priceless...

2014-07-24 4:29 AM

2014-07-24 7:40 AM
in reply to: Fred D

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Fred D

Originally posted by rymac

and if you read his race reports, it seems like he's still just figuring out the bike too.

he is figuring out the swim pretty quickly as well. As for the bike, he is averaging 348w for an HIM and running 1:09 off that. Weighs 162 lbs

Yeah, he's no slouch on the bike either! Not sure I've seen the guy yet to know if he's well set up there.

2014-07-24 8:22 AM
in reply to: brigby1

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37513 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 72911 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.