BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2014-07-25 9:21 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!!
Chris and Arend - looks like Thursday was track day for the group: I had 16x400s at 1:25 with 100 recovery. While there I kept reminding myself that Lionel Sanders ran a 1:09 at Racine. FWIW that is equivalent to FIFTY THREE 1:18 400s back-to-back with no recovery. And off the bike, to boot. Just fudge.

2014-07-25 11:36 AM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Originally posted by spudone

Originally posted by ChrisM

Nice, even if the race doesn't go as planned, it's so beautiful just make it a nice long training day.   and the rest may have just been what the dr. ordered.    Good luck, we'll be following

Thanks!  Yeah someone asked me if I was going to do a little jogging before the race.  But there's no benefit to knowing if my leg is healed or not.  And if it makes it worse then the bike could be miserable.  Right now it feels pretty good so I'm leaving it alone.

Looks like I'm #1667 on the participant list.  I got here a little late for registration, so I'll know for sure tomorrow.

I like the bike course layout.  I think it'll work well for me if I go real slow on the opening hill.  The long downhill and flat through Pemberton will make it easy to conserve and hopefully have a strong finish back up the hill.  I keep reminding myself: head down, miles 60-90.  Make the most of that flat section.

Good call. Nothing to be gained by "testing it"

I like the course layout as well. Lots of variety to switch things up. My race went downhill in pemberton as I wa a little behind on nutriton and I started getting pissed off at all the drafting. Save it for the climb home.

2014-07-25 11:37 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

And today is VO2 max day. 15 x 60" at 345, 60" at 205
2014-07-25 12:08 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by TankBoy Chris and Arend - looks like Thursday was track day for the group: I had 16x400s at 1:25 with 100 recovery. While there I kept reminding myself that Lionel Sanders ran a 1:09 at Racine. FWIW that is equivalent to FIFTY THREE 1:18 400s back-to-back with no recovery. And off the bike, to boot. Just fudge.

Short bike intervals for me last night. SF: Revolver, so about what Chris is doing, 1' on/1' off. Progressively stepped it up from 420 to 450 at the later ones. Kept thinking how people have their FTP up in that range. Not just TdF riders, but at least a couple triathletes come to mind. Starky should be there and Conrad Stoltz is. Kind of goes under the radar with how unbelievably powerful he is. Think he's done 12 x 2' up around 500 before.

Also had 24 x 50 in the back half of masters last night. Pool is on meters now too which always makes it more interesting.

2014-07-25 12:54 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

Master
, California
Originally posted by spudone

Nice, even if the race doesn't go as planned, it's so beautiful just make it a nice long training day.   and the rest may have just been what the dr. ordered.    Good luck, we'll be following

Thanks!  Yeah someone asked me if I was going to do a little jogging before the race.  But there's no benefit to knowing if my leg is healed or not.  And if it makes it worse then the bike could be miserable.  Right now it feels pretty good so I'm leaving it alone.

Looks like I'm #1667 on the participant list.  I got here a little late for registration, so I'll know for sure tomorrow.

I like the bike course layout.  I think it'll work well for me if I go real slow on the opening hill.  The long downhill and flat through Pemberton will make it easy to conserve and hopefully have a strong finish back up the hill.  I keep reminding myself: head down, miles 60-90.  Make the most of that flat section.

Good call. Nothing to be gained by "testing it"

I like the course layout as well. Lots of variety to switch things up. My race went downhill in pemberton as I wa a little behind on nutriton and I started getting pissed off at all the drafting. Save it for the climb home.

Yeah I saw a lot of complaints about drafting and lack of officials in that flat section last year. I bet they'll have the course marshals more focused on that stretch this time around.
2014-07-25 2:34 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by ChrisM And today is VO2 max day. 15 x 60" at 345, 60" at 205

and

Originally posted by brigby1

...1' on/1' off. Progressively stepped it up from 420 to 450 at the later ones.

Good Lord.

Headed out tomorrow for 2 weeks in northern Michigan. Packing up bikes and clothes this afternoon, then an interesting little set of "Tap Out" intervals tomorrow morning before heading for the airport - haven't ever done this before, but it looks like "fun":

After a good warmup, I start at 200 watts, then every 1 minute either add or subtract 5 watts until I Tap Out.
So the protocol goes like this:

1 min 200 watts
1 min 195 watts
1 min 205
1 min 190
1 min 210
1 min 185
1 min 215
etc, etc. until tap out

then 2x:
30 seconds @ 280 watts 30 seconds recovery, add 20 watts each round until tap out.

Anybody want to take a guess at where I will Tap Out?

I am betting I don't get anywhere close to 345w, much less 450!!! you guys really are beasts. I'll try to keep reminding myself, "Execution, Execution. Ben says it is all about Execution!"

2014-07-25 2:38 PM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Originally posted by TankBoy Chris and Arend - looks like Thursday was track day for the group: I had 16x400s at 1:25 with 100 recovery. While there I kept reminding myself that Lionel Sanders ran a 1:09 at Racine. FWIW that is equivalent to FIFTY THREE 1:18 400s back-to-back with no recovery. And off the bike, to boot. Just fudge.

I had a track workout today - AKA try not to puke day.

Main Set was 6x1000 at 5:30 pace leaving at 4:00.  I actually felt pretty good today but only made it through 3 before I had to extend the RI.

Short on time and had to head straight to the pool for a hard-ish 3600.  Hope I never have to do that again!!

2014-07-25 2:41 PM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Rusty - I was just up in Frankfort and Crystal Lake area (Northern MI) at a conference.  Got in two nice 65+ mile rides.

Might be the most courteous drivers up that with regards to biking.  Have fun - weather has been a little cool lately so expect some cold mornings (i.e. mid 40s).

2014-07-25 2:48 PM

Master
Northern IL

Remember that my wattage is going to be over 80 kg whereas yours is like 37 now!

What's the starting point based off of for the tap outs?

2014-07-25 2:50 PM
in reply to: rymac

User image

Elite
Ontario

So, is anyone thinking of the doing the IM full in Muskoka next year?  I mentioned it to my wife, and she looked at me and said "Don't you think you need to figure out the 70.3 distance first".  It's nice when your world gets put into perspective in a hurry...

2014-07-25 2:55 PM

Master
Northern IL

4 x 1K intervals on the track this morning.   Learning new things every time I go out there, but that extra 400M starts to put a different kind of hurt on it.

Meant to point out that if you added 400m to the previous 800's for your 1k, that could help explain when they were so hard! (j/k)

I don't really do either too much, but I think something similar happens in the pool when we do 125's instead of 100's. It's only one more length, but it seems so much more!

2014-07-25 3:08 PM
in reply to: brigby1

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-07-25 3:12 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

2014-07-25 3:27 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Fred D

Originally posted by GoFaster

So, is anyone thinking of the doing the IM full in Muskoka next year?  I mentioned it to my wife, and she looked at me and said "Don't you think you need to figure out the 70.3 distance first".  It's nice when your world gets put into perspective in a hurry...

Not really interested myself. I think the Deerhurst resort will sell out quickly and then there will be some logistical issues if you aren't there. Also not sure about road quality up there, maybe you could share your thoughts as I think I heard the roads were pretty rough? I did IMWI a few years ago and honestly I am sworn off rough roads at the IM level.

*I* do not think this race will do that well as generally the most popular races are either destination races like MT or LP, or very flat (where a PR can be obtained) at the ironman level. Muskoka I suspect will be very hilly and challenging, but again I'm speculating. I don't think you will get much of a USA crowd up there, more like the GTA type crowd, but again I'm speculating...

I've had interest with this in the past for the HIM, but not really for the full. Could be (sorta) Wisconsin north? Doesn't really have hills which are *that* big, but constantly has them. How easy would this be to get to from the East/Northeast areas? They seem to really be trying to fit more events up there.

2014-07-25 4:31 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Fred D

Not really interested myself. I think the Deerhurst resort will sell out quickly and then there will be some logistical issues if you aren't there. Also not sure about road quality up there, maybe you could share your thoughts as I think I heard the roads were pretty rough? I did IMWI a few years ago and honestly I am sworn off rough roads at the IM level.

*I* do not think this race will do that well as generally the most popular races are either destination races like MT or LP, or very flat (where a PR can be obtained) at the ironman level. Muskoka I suspect will be very hilly and challenging, but again I'm speculating. I don't think you will get much of a USA crowd up there, more like the GTA type crowd, but again I'm speculating...

I agree with you Fred, I don't see the race doing all that well but you never know.  I predict it doesn't sell out (or takes a really long time) but if they pull off a really good event with great reviews then it might become more popular.

2014-07-25 4:32 PM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Meh, I did a full IM before ever doing a 70.3.  Be a rebel and buck the trend!  

2014-07-25 4:34 PM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by rymac

Main Set was 6x1000 at 5:30 pace leaving at 4:00.  I actually felt pretty good today but only made it through 3 before I had to extend the RI.

Short on time and had to head straight to the pool for a hard-ish 3600.  Hope I never have to do that again!!

Sheesh - I think trying to swim a hard 3600 after a track workout would render me completely useless for the rest of the day.  Nice work!

2014-07-25 5:38 PM

Master
...at home in The ATL

Remember that my wattage is going to be over 80 kg whereas yours is like 37 now!

What's the starting point based off of for the tap outs?

Ha-ha! - I asked my coach the same question - he said that this workout falls in the maximal lactate threshold area along with activating more muscle fibers due to the increasing over/under nature of the intervals. So the starting watts are simply based on A) where he thinks I will tap out and B) the length of each tap-out block he wants for the above physiological adaptations to occur. He wouldn't tell me how long he expects the workout to last as he doesn't want me working the math to get an idea of where he thinks I will tap out on each one. I am guessing it will be about 1.5 hours total with warn up and cool down. He did say that in a perfect world he would want me to to do 2x the 1-minute intervals if I had the opportunity for a better recovery afterward, but since I am going to be sitting on a plane following he doesn't want this to be a "killer" session. heh. 

2014-07-25 5:39 PM

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by axteraa

Sheesh - I think trying to swim a hard 3600 after a track workout would render me completely useless for the rest of the day.  Nice work!

Seriously - my legs would be cramping so bad inside 300 yards the lifeguards would probably have to fish me out of the pool. That is crazy - you are a madman Ryan!

2014-07-25 5:45 PM

Master
...at home in The ATL

Rusty - I was just up in Frankfort and Crystal Lake area (Northern MI) at a conference.  Got in two nice 65+ mile rides.

Might be the most courteous drivers up that with regards to biking.  Have fun - weather has been a little cool lately so expect some cold mornings (i.e. mid 40s).

We are going to be outside of Traverse City on the Leelanau Peninsula - that is where my wife's family lives - we get up there for 2~3 weeks at the end of every summer before school starts up. The riding/running/swimming is absolutely fantastic - a triathlete's dream. Usually it is awesome going up this time of the year as normally it would be about a billion degrees and trillion percent humidity here in Atlanta, but thus far our summer has been crazy, crazy nice - it has hardly got out of the low/mid 80s on most days. It is warming up this weekend though, so we are escaping just in the nick of time. Can't believe I am having to pack arm warmers and layers though in July/August!

2014-07-25 5:56 PM
in reply to: 0

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by TankBoy

Originally posted by ChrisM And today is VO2 max day. 15 x 60" at 345, 60" at 205

and

Good Lord.

Headed out tomorrow for 2 weeks in northern Michigan. Packing up bikes and clothes this afternoon, then an interesting little set of "Tap Out" intervals tomorrow morning before heading for the airport - haven't ever done this before, but it looks like "fun":

After a good warmup, I start at 200 watts, then every 1 minute either add or subtract 5 watts until I Tap Out.

1 min 200 watts
1 min 195 watts
1 min 205
1 min 190
1 min 210
1 min 185
1 min 215
etc, etc. until tap out

then 2x:
30 seconds @ 280 watts 30 seconds recovery, add 20 watts each round until tap out.

I am betting I don't get anywhere close to 345w, much less 450!!! you guys really are beasts. I'll try to keep reminding myself, "Execution, Execution. Ben says it is all about Execution!"

The more I think about that workout and try to come up with a guess (which I can't decide upon), the more I realize that it's just going to hurt.  A lot.  I envision it being one of those workouts that starts out being not too bad as you steadily build up and you feel strong and confident.  Then, in a span of about 5 minutes your world gets turned upside down and you start crying for mercy.  During the recovery you start imagining what you are going to say to your coach in the workout notes.  Then, just as you decide to go for "just one more", you round a corner and see a wall of a hill (which is really just a highway overpass).  You hit the bottom of the hill just in time for the last interval and try to make it up.  

I can't decide if you make it up or explode and have to stop and unclip to avoid falling over.

Have fun!  

Edited by axteraa 2014-07-25 5:57 PM

2014-07-25 6:28 PM

Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by TankBoy

and

Good Lord.

1 min 200 watts
1 min 195 watts
1 min 205
1 min 190
1 min 210
1 min 185
1 min 215
etc, etc. until tap out

then 2x:

The more I think about that workout and try to come up with a guess (which I can't decide upon), the more I realize that it's just going to hurt.  A lot.  I envision it being one of those workouts that starts out being not too bad as you steadily build up and you feel strong and confident.  Then, in a span of about 5 minutes your world gets turned upside down and you start crying for mercy.  During the recovery you start imagining what you are going to say to your coach in the workout notes.  Then, just as you decide to go for "just one more", you round a corner and see a wall of a hill (which is really just a highway overpass).  You hit the bottom of the hill just in time for the last interval and try to make it up.  

I can't decide if you make it up or explode and have to stop and unclip to avoid falling over.

Have fun!  

And I think maybe the worst part is that you choose the end, warranting a dismissive post work out comment "eh, if that's all you could do" or "hmm. I was sure you could have done more, but hey, good job!" We'll be looking forward to the report
2014-07-25 6:32 PM

Ha! Kinda like posting your workout in this thread, when Ben posts his power numbers, or rusty posting his track intervals, or send posting his 100M splits. I thought the saying was "there's always someone faster than you." In reality it's "there's always someone to crush your dreams."

in other IM news, just saw that Louisville is moving to October. And my wife said "I think you should do ironman cozumel" last night.

2014-07-25 6:33 PM

4 x 1K intervals on the track this morning.   Learning new things every time I go out there, but that extra 400M starts to put a different kind of hurt on it.

Meant to point out that if you added 400m to the previous 800's for your 1k, that could help explain when they were so hard! (j/k)

I don't really do either too much, but I think something similar happens in the pool when we do 125's instead of 100's. It's only one more length, but it seems so much more!

Ha, whoops! No wonder they were so hard! /pink. Just felt like an extra 400
2014-07-25 7:39 PM

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37437 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 72769 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.