BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2014-07-26 6:08 AM
in reply to: Fred D

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2014-07-26 10:13 AM

Master
...at home in The ATL
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!!
So that workout was not completely awful - it made 2 hours on the trainer go by fairly quickly, actually. Tapped out on the one minute intervals at 340w (I think I let my mind wander near the end), on the 30 sec intervals tapped out at 440 both times. Whoever guessed closest wins a genuine, limited edition "Piddly Pizzy Watts" trucker hat. Just forward me your mailing address and I will get that right out to you.

Hope the workout goes well today Fred!

2014-07-26 3:27 PM
in reply to: 0

Edited by Fred D 2014-07-26 3:27 PM
2014-07-26 4:35 PM

Second roadie ride today.   I did better, and topped out the climbs better staying with the group, rather than soft pedaling over and having to bury myself to get back on.  Still a little timid and staying to the right more than most, but that's just comfort level.  No idea what cat these guys are, but I'd say the majority are 3s or 2s, some 1s.   With my other group average speed for these hilly rides (4500 or so elevation over 55 miles), ave speeds were low 15s.   These rides are nearly 17

My big issue is descending.  I weigh 193 this morning, so no delicate flower.  I can hang with most of the (middle)  folks on the climbs, but on descents?   Even the smaller guys and girls just whiz by me.  Part of it is that my biggest gear is 50/12, but more than that is I am kind of wimpy.   I feel like I have to brake a lot, and I am just scared of going down at speed.  I also really have no attraction to going that fast on a bike.  Not willing to really risk much as it's not the difference in getting me to Kona.   Coming around on corner, feathering the brakes, guy comes by yelling "no brakes!" 

But there are clearly skills i need to learn, as I bet it I can descend faster and still be safe.

Edited by ChrisM 2014-07-26 4:43 PM
2014-07-26 5:49 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

2014-07-26 6:42 PM

Elite
PEI, Canada

I had a 2 hour ride with 2 x 20' @ 280w today.  Made it 12 mins into the second one and blew up - not the sudden failure kind, the suddenly found myself only able to maintain 230-240w kind.  Still working on getting the endurance back up after the month off the bike.  

Chris, there is definitely a skill set to descending and cornering well.  I learned a lot riding and racing with others last summer.  I still have a long, long way to go but if you watch how they ride you can pick up lots of stuff.

Fred and Rusty, great workouts on the bike!  Some killer stuff there!

2014-07-26 9:30 PM
in reply to: #4997734

Elite
Ontario
Trying to post on an iPhone and haven't down this before. In response to the comments on Muskoka - Fred I do think this will be a challenging race venue and for that reason will deter some and attract others, also the worst/hardest part of the ride is the last few km, and on the first loop you don't have to do these (you go down them but not back up). As for road quality, it's not nearly as bad as many seem to make it out to be. A large part of the course is on a 2 lane hwy with wide shoulders and nicely paved. The sections of Portage road that haven't been in good shape I would assume will be repaired by the time of the race. As for accommodation Deerhurst will definitely sell out right away, but there are quite a few hotels motels and campgrounds around, and the next closest town isn't too far away. I would imagine this is no different than most IM venues, but people who race Tremblant are obviously treated to a fantastic experience with the village which I think is pretty unique for that race.

As for Arends comment about the race not selling too quickly, keep in mind that the 70.3 sold our faster than any other 70.3 in its first year - but did then struggle for a couple of years with a lower turnout. I think Fred is right that this will be a big draw for the local crowd, we'll have to see if the US crowd bites at this race.

Ben - the race has no big hills. It's mostly short steep make you push over FTP type climbs. You can certainly control power on hips during the hwy portion, but portage can be a little tough, but they aren't long.

Those are my thoughts.
2014-07-27 1:05 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by TankBoy So that workout was not completely awful - it made 2 hours on the trainer go by fairly quickly, actually. Tapped out on the one minute intervals at 340w (I think I let my mind wander near the end), on the 30 sec intervals tapped out at 440 both times. Whoever guessed closest wins a genuine, limited edition "Piddly Pizzy Watts" trucker hat. Just forward me your mailing address and I will get that right out to you.

Hope the workout goes well today Fred!

Nice going!

2014-07-27 1:22 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by GoFaster Trying to post on an iPhone and haven't down this before. In response to the comments on Muskoka - Fred I do think this will be a challenging race venue and for that reason will deter some and attract others, also the worst/hardest part of the ride is the last few km, and on the first loop you don't have to do these (you go down them but not back up). As for road quality, it's not nearly as bad as many seem to make it out to be. A large part of the course is on a 2 lane hwy with wide shoulders and nicely paved. The sections of Portage road that haven't been in good shape I would assume will be repaired by the time of the race. As for accommodation Deerhurst will definitely sell out right away, but there are quite a few hotels motels and campgrounds around, and the next closest town isn't too far away. I would imagine this is no different than most IM venues, but people who race Tremblant are obviously treated to a fantastic experience with the village which I think is pretty unique for that race. As for Arends comment about the race not selling too quickly, keep in mind that the 70.3 sold our faster than any other 70.3 in its first year - but did then struggle for a couple of years with a lower turnout. I think Fred is right that this will be a big draw for the local crowd, we'll have to see if the US crowd bites at this race. Ben - the race has no big hills. It's mostly short steep make you push over FTP type climbs. You can certainly control power on hips during the hwy portion, but portage can be a little tough, but they aren't long. Those are my thoughts.

Yeah, I looked pretty well into this race a few years ago, but some other things got in the way of racing it. The Wisconsin course is harder than people may realize, but it still continually sells out fairly quick. It's in an area with a lot of people that want to do an IM having Chicago plus some other cities within a few hours drive. If Muskoka is still close enough to places like the East/NE US areas it could end up being similar to that. Deerhurst is likely to sell out quickly, especially since people doing an IM tend to spend well, but there were also other places nearby and they could also fit more budget conscious people like me. Maybe a 15 minute drive out? Some more, some less. I've had good experiences with shuttle services at various races too, both IM and other companies. A lot of people need to take shuttles in for Wisconsin as well as quite a bit of the parking is away from the start. None of this is really a guarantee of this race taking off, but it also doesn't leave much to really criticize.

2014-07-27 6:53 AM

2014-07-27 6:55 AM
in reply to: brigby1

2014-07-27 8:00 AM
in reply to: #5030930

Elite
Ontario
I'm a little surprised by the Tremblant and Muskoka dates being so close, but I wonder if they've looked at the demographics of who races Tremblant and see there are a lot of Cdn's - in which case Muskoka may take some of that crowd which in turn opens up Tremblant for more Americans looking for that destination race. Tremblant has gotten such a great reputation so quickly that I think Muskoka serves as a spillover for some who can't do the race but want a really nice venue/area and some challenge and Muskoka is going to provide that.

But we'll see how it all shakes out.
2014-07-27 2:21 PM

2014-07-27 2:22 PM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Fred D Yes I think the dates so close are strange. Have they decided on IMMT 2015 date yet?

August 16th I believe.

2014-07-27 2:23 PM

2014-07-27 4:34 PM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Just checked on Mark in Whistler.  He swam a 1:23:46 and seems to be putting in a strong bike.  he exited the water 185th in AG and is up to 131st through 91 miles with a projected bike split of around 5:50 if I'm reading it right.  Hopefully things hold up and he can put up a solid run too!

2014-07-27 7:53 PM
in reply to: axteraa

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by axteraa

Just checked on Mark in Whistler.  He swam a 1:23:46 and seems to be putting in a strong bike.  he exited the water 185th in AG and is up to 131st through 91 miles with a projected bike split of around 5:50 if I'm reading it right.  Hopefully things hold up and he can put up a solid run too!

Hoping he has a good result, and that the injury doesn't hamper him too much.

2014-07-27 9:56 PM

Originally posted by GoFaster

Originally posted by axteraa

Hoping he has a good result, and that the injury doesn't hamper him too much.

Looks like hes making his way steadily through the run

2014-07-27 10:01 PM

That was one helluva workout.   3 mile run, swim, 5 mile run, swim, 3 mile run, swim, 1 mile run.   all swims .5 mile.  Hilly runs.   Interesting running to the beach and running into the water with my orange zoots on, then running back out 20 minutes later...   Tried putting shoes down the shorts and also decided to use a piece of velcro I had and wrap the shoes together and use like a pull buoy.   Think that worked out better.    Good confidence builder for SOS, 1.5 mile swimming and 12 running.   Zoots worked great, left the socks on for the swim, and no blisters at all

Edited by ChrisM 2014-07-27 10:02 PM
2014-07-27 11:31 PM

Master
, California

Hey guys, I finished in 13 something I think.  The bike was pretty brutal esp the last 20.  No aid stations in sight, uphill (slow) and blazing hot.  I started sweating buckets (which I *never* do) and had to pull off once I found some shade.  I was worried I was approaching heat exhaustion.  My legs were totally trashed too.  I really did try to ride conservative and stayed on my power targets.  But it was looking sketchy at 70 and feeling bad at 90.  Maybe the altitude put me off my mark a bit.

The last 2 weeks I did NO bike or run to give my leg a chance to heal and it appears to have worked.  I was able to run the last 6 miles or so, no pain, other than general muscle fatigue.  Of course I had no run buildup under my belt so ... yeah oh well.  Glad I finished.

There were some hellacious wrecks on the bike course.  One guy in front of me on a big downhill looked like he got a front flat and rolled the tubbie off, couldn't save it, hit hard.  I dodged a bullet getting around him.  Some other guys behind me came up and said he was unconscious.  Another part later on there were some SLOW warnings.  I got up to this bridge that was littered with bottles and what looked like carbon fiber that had shattered.  Barely navigated that safely.

Oh and my bike skills 101 today: they did not have a slow warning coming in the last bit of the bike.  Hard corner, I had to brake with both.  I locked up the rear and skidded sideways a bit, hopped it up but recovered straight at the fence.  So I bled some speed with the front then locked up the rear on purpose and skidded into the turn.  Got some applause from a few of the mtn bikers who were spectating   Don't try that at home, it was totally completely stupid.  My brain was pretty foggy after that last climbing section.

Anyhow I feel like garbage.  Thanks to you guys who were tracking me

2014-07-28 12:18 AM
in reply to: spudone

Master
, California
Oh yeah, forgot. We had a big bear right next to the running trail. I think I was around mile 17. The volunteers directed us to the road, which was up above. So I got to scale a rock wall.. literally. Hand and footholds. Not ideal with wobbly legs.

2014-07-28 4:41 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Wow Mark!  That sounds like quite the adventure!  Congrats on the finish and I'm glad you were able to get through it!

2014-07-28 4:43 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by ChrisM

That was one helluva workout.   3 mile run, swim, 5 mile run, swim, 3 mile run, swim, 1 mile run.   all swims .5 mile.  Hilly runs.   Interesting running to the beach and running into the water with my orange zoots on, then running back out 20 minutes later...   Tried putting shoes down the shorts and also decided to use a piece of velcro I had and wrap the shoes together and use like a pull buoy.   Think that worked out better.    Good confidence builder for SOS, 1.5 mile swimming and 12 running.   Zoots worked great, left the socks on for the swim, and no blisters at all

Hmm, I'm surprised the socks worked well with the swim.  I would have thought they would come off easily.

Great job on the workout, sounds like fun!

2014-07-28 6:24 AM

2014-07-28 6:24 AM

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37469 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 72785 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.