BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2014-07-28 2:30 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!!

Dealing with a sore muscle on the back of my right knee.  Not really the hamstring, but I don't think it's an IT band either.  Feels like a sore muscle as it's the area that cramped up pretty bad after my ride on Saturday.  Wanted to spin yesterday, but opted for full rest instead.  Will likely hop on the bike and do some ridiculously easy miles on very flat terrain after work.

I did manage to climb almost 42k feet over 8 days last week.  The last ride on Saturday was the azz kicker as it was super hot and I was getting dangerously close to heat exhaustion.  Needless to say the next few days will be focused on recovery, then hopefully a few short but hard rides, hopefully in good shape for Mauna Loa next Saturday.

2014-07-28 5:20 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Little Harbour
I will post a full race report here in a few days, taking the time to think about it and take it all in.

The wind definately played a factor during the bike course as there were three steep hills to fight with during the race. The wind was never at your back either, a hill where I would normally do about 80km/hr down I was lucky to hit 60.

Swim lessons - streamlineing my wife and swim partner said my head was out of the water too much I think pre race nerves got too me during the first lap as I felt better on my second lap but at that point I was so far behind that the second leg passed me (also jellyfish sting on face and cramp in right calf last 250m's) Also gym time for upper body strength. Also I was so dizzy finishing my swim I could barely find my feet coming out of the water.

Bike Lessons- I did it on a borrowed bike..a properly fitted bike would have helped tonnes..and need to hit the gym for leg stength and work on ascents.

Run- I have been running for years just have to do more post bike runs to get used to the feeling of jello legs off the bike. And do longer runs than the 10k for endurance.

Those are just a few off the top of my head but I'm in love with the sport.

Yes this will probably be my only one this year due to timeing and family planning (ie camping trips) Also the one I was thinking about doing in August was cancelled. I am already planning my season next year.
2014-07-28 5:31 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by TankBoy

Originally posted by TankBoy

Originally posted by Fred D Crazy brick workout today. Learned a few key things on this one. Ready for IM training to be over soon lol...

Had a lot of riding planned for the weekend, but felt kind of funny so just sat around the whole time instead.

Been there and done that, Ben. Good on you for actually having the perspective to take the time when you know you need it.

Thanks. Didn't really feel that bad, but historically respiratory issues and hotter than I'm used to conditions are not a good mix. Had to keep looking at the training I've already done. I'll fall short of where I wanted, but will still end up with a pretty good month. Think I see the couple places that pushed me over too. Have to make sure the easier days stay lighter!

Oh, wow - we are experiencing just the opposite at the moment - I actually had to wear arm warmers on my bike ride this morning. In late July. After my brick I jumped in the lake and kicked around for about 20 minutes of so to flush the legs out - water temperature is 67 degrees, but it felt great as it was well above the ambient air temperature. Crazy, but not complaining at all - it was 98 degrees at home yesterday.

Ha! Think most of the time is closer to what you are seeing. Early mornings would be just a bit above sleeves if I was riding more then. The weekend had a good 12-15* jump in the highs. Fairly normally temps for late July in actuality, but we just haven't seen it much this year, much less been active in that!

It's been stinking hot and humid by our standards this summer.  I'm not at all complaining - I consider it payback for the winter we had.

2014-07-28 5:39 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Jason N

Dealing with a sore muscle on the back of my right knee.  Not really the hamstring, but I don't think it's an IT band either.  Feels like a sore muscle as it's the area that cramped up pretty bad after my ride on Saturday.  Wanted to spin yesterday, but opted for full rest instead.  Will likely hop on the bike and do some ridiculously easy miles on very flat terrain after work.

I did manage to climb almost 42k feet over 8 days last week.  The last ride on Saturday was the azz kicker as it was super hot and I was getting dangerously close to heat exhaustion.  Needless to say the next few days will be focused on recovery, then hopefully a few short but hard rides, hopefully in good shape for Mauna Loa next Saturday.

Jason, that kind of climbing blows my mind.  I just looked up how much climbing I've done for the entire YEAR and it's around 28k feet.  Truly impressive in my books!

How do you expect Mauna Loa to compare to Haleakala?  I know it's farther and higher but do you know what you are facing with grades?

2014-07-28 5:57 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Anyone here know anything about cyclocross bikes?  We're thinking of getting some to give us something we can get a little more offroad with (not mountain bike offroad).  If so, what should I look for and what should I avoid?

2014-07-28 6:37 PM

User image

Originally posted by axteraa

Jason, that kind of climbing blows my mind.  I just looked up how much climbing I've done for the entire YEAR and it's around 28k feet.  Truly impressive in my books!

How do you expect Mauna Loa to compare to Haleakala?  I know it's farther and higher but do you know what you are facing with grades?

The grades should be fairly similar to Haleakala.  A lot of 5-7% with short sections at 10%.  There is a very short downhill portion, and a somewhat long section that's around 1-2% in the middle of the course that makes up for the added distance, but the actual climbing sections are pretty similar.  The main thing though is that it's a 8am start, which means the first 2-3 hours will be quite warm and borderline hot.  Probably 80-90 degrees ambient temperature.  As we gain altitude, but also get closer to the mid day hours, I would expect temps to settle a bit...but am probably expecting ambient temps of around 85 even near the top.  Still much cooler compared to the temps I was climbing in on Saturday.  Garmin was reading ambient temps of up to 106, with the last 3.5 hours averaging right at 100 degrees.

2014-07-28 6:53 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-07-29 7:17 AM
in reply to: Fred D

2014-07-29 7:31 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Fred D

Took yesterday as a full rest day. Needed it!

Tempo run and hard ride later for me.

Anyone else training?

I had 3 hard'ish days in a row.  Today is a swim and a run but nothing too intense.  Doing a 20k TT after work tomorrow.

2014-07-29 8:09 AM

Elite
Ontario

My leg started hurting just reading about climbing 42K in 8 days.  Then I reminded myself you measure things with that funny imperial system and it didn't seem so bad...

2014-07-29 8:14 AM

Elite
Ontario

Anyone else training?

I had 3 hard'ish days in a row.  Today is a swim and a run but nothing too intense.  Doing a 20k TT after work tomorrow.

With serious lack of consistency this year, last week was best week YTD - need to string together 6 more of these to show up at Muskoka with some semblance of fitness.  I took a look at my logs from 2012 for this time period, and kind of wish I hadn't - I was killing it in relation to how my recent training has been, hours, paces, power, you name it and I'm down across the board.  Not much I can do about it at this point except put in the best effort I can for the remainder of the season and then try to properly rebuild over Fall and Winter.

Anyone made the switch over to Garmin Express from Ant Agent?  I did this a number of weeks ago and it's a serious PITA and I can't upload to BT anymore through my Garmin (or TP for that matter, but I add those ones manually).  Anyone have suggestions?

2014-07-29 8:22 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by GoFaster

Anyone made the switch over to Garmin Express from Ant Agent?  I did this a number of weeks ago and it's a serious PITA and I can't upload to BT anymore through my Garmin (or TP for that matter, but I add those ones manually).  Anyone have suggestions?

I use Garmin Express but I don't have a device that uses the ant agent.  For TP, you can set it up to automatically push from GC to TP  and BT is working on the same.  Ron says it's almost ready.

For now, you could do the automatic sync to TP and then you can do an import from TP to BT.  Still a PITA until they get the sync to BT going too.

2014-07-29 9:32 AM

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
  • Anyone made the switch over to Garmin Express from Ant Agent?  I did this a number of weeks ago and it's a serious PITA and I can't upload to BT anymore through my Garmin (or TP for that matter, but I add those ones manually).  Anyone have suggestions?

• Neil
    I was going to change to Garmin Express and tried it 'temporarily' but I went back...because it was such a PITA. I will probably change to TP at some point if I ever have time to get serious with my training.

Anyone else training?

Sounds like you needed a rest, Fred. Shane's pushing your cycling up with volume and intensity, it seems. Can't wait to see how IMMT goes...I just signed up for Savageman-again. One last shot at a brick. This year I will have the added advantage of power numbers so it will be fun to review. My son may let me use his GoPro to video too.

Good luck on your TT Arend.

Hope your knee feels better Jason.

Congrats on the race, Jeremy. Time to plan the next one...

I don't want to EVER see a bear in any race that I do...just sayin'...

Chris, SOS is on my 'to do' list. Nice training. I am taking it all in.

Hi Ben!

Rusty-How the hell do you get perfect pictures every freaking race! I do expect to see your picture in 'Triathlete Magazine' soon-if not for the performance than for the pics. Oh, and nice race-again. You are a beast.

2014-07-29 11:34 AM

Elite
    Ontario

I use Garmin Express but I don't have a device that uses the ant agent.  For TP, you can set it up to automatically push from GC to TP  and BT is working on the same.  Ron says it's almost ready.

For now, you could do the automatic sync to TP and then you can do an import from TP to BT.  Still a PITA until they get the sync to BT going too.

Thanks for that - unfortunately, I think it's only for Premium members.

2014-07-29 11:34 AM
    in reply to: dtoce

Master
    , California

Speaking of Golden Cheetah, I have a question.  If you're viewing an activity and you go to the Analysis page and click on 'Ride', you see your graph with power / elevation / etc over time.

If you click and drag over part of it, it selects a subset and shows stats on that timespan.  Do it again, it makes selection #2, etc.

How the hell do you unselect those or clear them?  I swear I've hit every keyboard and mouse combo possible and the only way I ever clear them is to close the program.  I'm sure I'm missing something simple but it is completely undocumented.

2014-07-29 11:36 AM
    in reply to: spudone

Elite
    Ontario

Originally posted by spudone

Speaking of Golden Cheetah, I have a question.  If you're viewing an activity and you go to the Analysis page and click on 'Ride', you see your graph with power / elevation / etc over time.

If you click and drag over part of it, it selects a subset and shows stats on that timespan.  Do it again, it makes selection #2, etc.

How the hell do you unselect those or clear them?  I swear I've hit every keyboard and mouse combo possible and the only way I ever clear them is to close the program.  I'm sure I'm missing something simple but it is completely undocumented.

I never figured that out either - but now Golden Cheetah won't record my trainer rides.  I tried turning off Garmin Express but since the Ant Agent is uninstalled GC doesn't recognize my HR strap or PT.

2014-07-29 11:43 AM
    in reply to: spudone

Elite
    PEI, Canada

Originally posted by spudone

It can vary slightly depending on your version of Goldencheetah but on the bottom left of the screen there are three small icons.  One of them is a little picture of a stop watch that says Intervals if you hover over it.  Click on that and an intervals pane should appear along the left.  The one that you created should be there and you can right click and delete.

2014-07-29 11:46 AM

Elite
    PEI, Canada

Thanks for that - unfortunately, I think it's only for Premium members.

Mmm, there is a comment in the post from Ray saying it works with the Free version.  I can't find anything else that confirms that though....

2014-07-29 1:06 PM

Champion
    Made it to the flat lands of Saskatchewan...had a 13hr ER shift yesterday...today I am off! Woo! Run on tap today. Legs are slowly feeling better--feeling more run and less slog.

Anyone racing this upcoming weekend? Lots of races in western Can this past--IM Calgary 70.3, IM Canada. Starting to get the IM buzz again...Can't decide if its irrational to think maybe I can pull it off as an R2 and finish with a good result and not just finishing...
    2014-07-29 1:11 PM
    in reply to: mndymond

Veteran
    South Windsor, CT
    Originally posted by mndymond

Made it to the flat lands of Saskatchewan...had a 13hr ER shift yesterday...today I am off! Woo! Run on tap today. Legs are slowly feeling better--feeling more run and less slog.

Anyone racing this upcoming weekend? Lots of races in western Can this past--IM Calgary 70.3, IM Canada. Starting to get the IM buzz again...Can't decide if its irrational to think maybe I can pull it off as an R2 and finish with a good result and not just finishing...

R2...as in second year resident?
    (sheesh, I don't even remember back that far...)
    2014-07-29 1:20 PM
    in reply to: dtoce

Champion
    Originally posted by dtoce

Originally posted by mndymond

R2...as in second year resident?
    (sheesh, I don't even remember back that far...)

Yup.

2014-07-29 1:23 PM

Champion

Insane! That's higher than cruising altitude!!
    2014-07-29 1:49 PM

My leg started hurting just reading about climbing 42K in 8 days.  Then I reminded myself you measure things with that funny imperial system and it didn't seem so bad...

Well the guy that had the highest total for the challenge worldwide was at something like 67k of elevation gain...in meters.  I looked at his rides, I think I would have shot myself.  He was doing like 70 repeats of a 500 foot climb on the last day. 

Knee is feeling a lot better today.  It was sore throughout yesterday so I didn't get to spin, but it feels about 80-90% right now.  

2014-07-30 6:31 AM

2014-07-30 6:36 AM

Elite
    PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Fred D Ok I posted on ST but not much response yet. If I focused in the off season on swimming, what would be the best bang for the buck. Online swim coach? Swim camp? I don't think I have any resources in town that are obvious. Thoughts?

I've always thought one of those week long swim camps in a tropical location would be cool.

New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
    Views: 37384 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
    Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
    Views: 72760 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : March 12, 2014
    author : TeamMPI
    comments : 1
    The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
    author : IndoIronYanti
    comments : 4
    MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
    date : September 15, 2011
    comments : 0
    Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 25, 2007
    author : Tri Swim Coach
    comments : 0
    Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.