BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2014-08-18 4:02 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Elite
Ontario
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!!

Managed a 4th in my AG yesterday at a Sprint race - we call it a Sprint but the bike is 33km and run is 7km.  Good validation for me that training is going the right direction at the moment with Muskoka only 3 weeks away, and a less than spectacular race season so far.  I may have a chance to actually go North and ride the course this weekend for what should be my last long ride before the race.  Just bought an 11-28 cassette to try and save the legs for the run.

But the highlight of the weekend was my 9 year old racing his first real kids tri.  He did a couple when he was really young and they ran through the water, but this had a proper 200M swim in the lake, and we didn't sign him up till race morning after he swam and felt confident that he would be just fine.  Anyway, he finished solid mid-pack and was super happy about the whole thing and I couldn't be prouder.

(EthanRun.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
EthanRun.JPG (155KB - 3 downloads)

2014-08-18 5:09 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by spudone

Originally posted by Fred D So I went to Kona slot roll down. It rolled to #13, I was 15th. I honestly have mixed emotions as I would love to do that race some day, but the thought of doing another IM in less than 2 months is simply not appealing. Good that I didn't have to make the choice. I am bouncing around the idea of IMMT, Chattanooga and Louisville as options for next year...

Just curious, how many slots were available for your AG?

https://www.facebook.com/IronmanMT/photos/a.305778049481280.72240.260375747354844/767111996681214/?type=1&theater

2014-08-18 5:23 PM
in reply to: Fred D

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Originally posted by Fred D So I went to Kona slot roll down. It rolled to #13, I was 15th. I honestly have mixed emotions as I would love to do that race some day, but the thought of doing another IM in less than 2 months is simply not appealing. Good that I didn't have to make the choice. I am bouncing around the idea of IMMT, Chattanooga and Louisville as options for next year...

I feel your pain Fred.  In my AG there were a few rolldowns and an extra slot due to re-allocation.  It got down to 14th in my AG and I placed 15th.  Missed it by 4 min and change.  Guy in 14th killed me by 10 min on the swim so once again my crappy swim exposes itself.

2014-08-18 6:18 PM
in reply to: Birkierunner

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Birkierunner

I feel your pain Fred.  In my AG there were a few rolldowns and an extra slot due to re-allocation.  It got down to 14th in my AG and I placed 15th.  Missed it by 4 min and change.  Guy in 14th killed me by 10 min on the swim so once again my crappy swim exposes itself.

So close Jim!  Looks like you were running down the two guys ahead of you but just ran out of real estate.  Congrats on a great race!

2014-08-18 6:36 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-08-18 6:40 PM
in reply to: Birkierunner

2014-08-18 6:46 PM

Extreme Veteran
Fred, congratulations !
Sounds like perfect execution.
Well deserved result.
2014-08-18 10:39 PM
in reply to: marcag

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Jim + Fred + Neil = a dumptruck full of awesome.  Great races (and great next generation race, too!).  I can't even imagine (which is why this group is so great - shows what's possible!).

Just popped in to say hey.  I've been down for about a month and have some catching up to do here, but the last couple pages are filled with what I expect from SBR…  

Mostly settled now and my body is just about de-injured (I'm calling it healthy until it proves me otherwise) and actually ran yesterday and swam today.  Barton Springs is my new Walden!  Austin rocks.  Work rocks.  Very happy about all that.

Tough to find running/riding routes from home, which is a minor ding, but otherwise it's a slice of heaven.  

Hope to be back around more regularly in the coming months as I work to get back to being fit and find some sense of balanced unbalance.

Best to all!

Matt

2014-08-19 2:49 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by GoFaster

Managed a 4th in my AG yesterday at a Sprint race - we call it a Sprint but the bike is 33km and run is 7km.  Good validation for me that training is going the right direction at the moment with Muskoka only 3 weeks away, and a less than spectacular race season so far.  I may have a chance to actually go North and ride the course this weekend for what should be my last long ride before the race.  Just bought an 11-28 cassette to try and save the legs for the run.

But the highlight of the weekend was my 9 year old racing his first real kids tri.  He did a couple when he was really young and they ran through the water, but this had a proper 200M swim in the lake, and we didn't sign him up till race morning after he swam and felt confident that he would be just fine.  Anyway, he finished solid mid-pack and was super happy about the whole thing and I couldn't be prouder.

Neil, great job on the sprint and congrats to your son!  Good to hear that things are going well leading into Muskoka too.  I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes for you!

2014-08-19 2:50 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Jim + Fred + Neil = a dumptruck full of awesome.  Great races (and great next generation race, too!).  I can't even imagine (which is why this group is so great - shows what's possible!).

Just popped in to say hey.  I've been down for about a month and have some catching up to do here, but the last couple pages are filled with what I expect from SBR…  

Mostly settled now and my body is just about de-injured (I'm calling it healthy until it proves me otherwise) and actually ran yesterday and swam today.  Barton Springs is my new Walden!  Austin rocks.  Work rocks.  Very happy about all that.

Tough to find running/riding routes from home, which is a minor ding, but otherwise it's a slice of heaven.  

Hope to be back around more regularly in the coming months as I work to get back to being fit and find some sense of balanced unbalance.

Best to all!

Matt

Good to hear from you Matt!

2014-08-19 5:53 AM

2014-08-19 7:33 AM
in reply to: axteraa

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by axteraa

Anyone signing up for the Mont Tremblant 70.3?

Looks like it sold out on day 1.

2014-08-19 7:34 AM

Elite
Ontario

Best to all!

Matt

Matt - glad the big transition and life change has gone so well.  I'm quite sure we'll see you posting often soon enough as you get back into the swing of things.

2014-08-19 7:36 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by axteraa

Anyone signing up for the Mont Tremblant 70.3?

Looks like it sold out on day 1.

Wow - well that makes it an easy decision.  

2014-08-19 7:56 AM

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Good to see you back around here, Matt.  How's the weather treating you?  Someone posted a pic the other day asking "what was wrong with the pic" and it showed the temp being something like 79F in Austin.  As much as I hate winter and really try hard to not complain about summer temps, weeks on end of 100+ heat index is starting to wear on me, especially during my peak training weeks.

On a training-related note: 5' VO2 intervals hurt -- that is all

2014-08-19 9:13 AM

Elite
Ontario

I don't have any side shots from this weekends race, but was curious about any feedback any of you have based on my "front" position.  The pic where I was off to the side was taken just as we were starting to go up a hill about 20km after the other pic was taken.  I would like to fnid a way to get lower in the front, just to see if I can put out the same power and maintain the same comfort level - BUT, the stem is slammed at this point.  So I likely need to consider a different aerobar, clip on configuration that would allow me to multiple adjustment points so I can play with my position - I also haven't tried flipping the stem or looking for a negative rise, as those are other options.  I've talked/thought about making position adjustments in the past but want to get serious about it this fall/winter.

(Position2.JPG)

(Position.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Position2.JPG (30KB - 2 downloads)
Position.JPG (31KB - 2 downloads)

2014-08-19 12:31 PM

Elite
Ontario
2014-08-19 3:29 PM

2014-08-19 4:44 PM

2014-08-19 4:47 PM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Fred D Ok, I just signed up for IMMT 2015 (no shock as most knew I was going to do another IM next year). It fits with the time of year for me and my family. Also a good course for me. There are very few spots left for the full apparently, and I am working on talking James into this race. Any other sbr folks interested in a group race? Could try to re ignite the Canada USA 'Rocky' battle we had last year? Will sell out soon!

As much as I enjoyed the battle last year, the IM distance still isn't calling my name.

Leadman still whispers in my ear once in a while though....

2014-08-19 4:48 PM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Fred D Oh and it appears I missed kona by 7sec. The guy who out sprinted me at the end actually got the last spot. Not disappointed (ok maybe a little) but Hawaii this year would have been a very, very poor idea.

Fred, I saw earlier today that you had moved up to 14th AG but wasn't sure if I should mention it!  Someone get DQ'd maybe?

2014-08-19 5:40 PM

Leadman still whispers in my ear once in a while though....

mine too....

2014-08-19 6:13 PM

Master
...at home in The ATL

Awesome - congratulations to you both, Neil - that is really fantastic!!

2014-08-19 6:15 PM

Master
...at home in The ATL

Best to all!

Matt

Matt - great to hear that you are coming around health-wise and getting settled in with work and the change of scenery. Looking forward to having you back.

2014-08-19 6:21 PM

Master
...at home in The ATL

I don't have any side shots from this weekends race, but was curious about any feedback any of you have based on my "front" position.  The pic where I was off to the side was taken just as we were starting to go up a hill about 20km after the other pic was taken.  I would like to fnid a way to get lower in the front, just to see if I can put out the same power and maintain the same comfort level - BUT, the stem is slammed at this point.  So I likely need to consider a different aerobar, clip on configuration that would allow me to multiple adjustment points so I can play with my position - I also haven't tried flipping the stem or looking for a negative rise, as those are other options.  I've talked/thought about making position adjustments in the past but want to get serious about it this fall/winter.

Neil - like you said it is hard to tell much from a single image, and particularly from that angle, but a couple of general questions, as you look pretty "low" already. 

Are you sure that getting lower would make you faster, or just want to try it out and see? How far are you willing to go? for instance, it looks like your hip angle is already closed up (again, hard to tell from the pic) So, what is your current crank length and would you be willing to shorten it in order to get lower without compromising your hip angle?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37513 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 72911 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.