BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2014-09-09 5:17 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!!

Marc, do you just keep reapplying sealant every 3 months?  Is there a point where the tube needs to be replaced simply because there is too much sealant in there?  Can a tube be compromised if you let it sit with sealant in it for too long?  I think I should be adding sealant to my latex tubes as well, but just wondering if there is more to the process than meets the eye.  I have no problem with going through 2-3 pairs of latex tubes per season...as long as I know when I need to replace them.

2014-09-09 5:24 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by spudone

I've had the same issue.  I'm a software guy... I've been thinking about working on an app that will upload my Garmin data to multiple sites when I sync.  But the tricky part is safely managing logins / passwords.

Another idea is a browser plugin that would just send off requests to the garmin communicator for each site that you're already logged in on.  Then I don't have to deal with passwords.  Anyhow I need to do some research but it would remove some of the nuisance.

I also use Raceday Apollo, but that's just a windows app and I don't think there's a better way to make it sync.

Mark, Tapiriik is open source if you want a starting point...

https://github.com/cpfair/tapiriik

2014-09-09 6:03 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

What's your diet plan for your bike Marc?

I keep saying I'm going to start using sealant but have yet to actually do so.  Next time I order latex tubes with removable cores I think I will have to take the plunge.

Marc, you are lucky the tire held up on the high speed descents on the course.  I've had a high speed flat before and by the time I was able to finally stop myself, the tire was starting to roll off the rim - pretty sketchy!

2014-09-09 7:18 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by axteraa

What's your diet plan for your bike Marc?

I keep saying I'm going to start using sealant but have yet to actually do so.  Next time I order latex tubes with removable cores I think I will have to take the plunge.

Marc, you are lucky the tire held up on the high speed descents on the course.  I've had a high speed flat before and by the time I was able to finally stop myself, the tire was starting to roll off the rim - pretty sketchy!

The diet has to be done with some aero testing. The problem with weight is there is no really bike item but rather a sum of small.
The disc cover is heavy. Long discussion at WC about the aero benefit of it on different wheels and different frames. It makes 100% sense on a 32spoke wheel with a PT on an older frame, possibly less sense on a deep wheel on a newer frame under certain race conditions
Flat kit in the Torhans bottle is heavy
Shoes are heavy and not very good
Why race with a Garmin 800 when I have a 500. Probably only 100 grams savings, but it adds up
Bottle holders Torhans vs BTA
Others TDB

Want sketchy.....I had two high speed wobbles previous race. I thought I was going to die.

Recent news from 2 friends involved in bike accidents. One is in a wheel chair. May never walk again. The other, after 1 year of rehab is starting to run on a treadmill but will never be able to ride again. This is a very dangerous sport.

2014-09-09 8:47 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-09-09 8:48 PM
in reply to: 0

Edited by Fred D 2014-09-09 8:49 PM

2014-09-09 9:29 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by Fred D

BT forums sure seem to be dead these days.

I have been thinking about whether to keep logs here anymore as I have Strava, TP and Polar accounts as well. The forums are essentially dead from what I can tell, with the exception of a few mentor groups (and of course I assume COJ ;-).

I seem to be posting more on ST and enjoying the dialogue more there. I don't see any intent to change things at BT as the owners revenue stream is more made through other processes than the forums.

Part of me wants to still log here as it's become my 'diary' of sorts, but man am I logging a lot of places these days.

Thoughts on what you all are planning?

I log everything here and TP (as well as Garmin Connect by default), but stopped adding comments quite a while ago on BT.  I save that for TP where my coach will review my thoughts on the workout.  I have a Strava account but never got into logging anything on it so it's been dead for months and months.  I take a quick look at the main forum from time to time but mostly I stick to this group, and I haven't really had time to spend on ST.  Life/work has been really busy most of this year and I find myself away from the sites as I just don't have as much time.  I agree about the BT Tri forum, it's sad to see where it is today, and with the end of the season upon us it's going to become really dead.

2014-09-09 9:30 PM

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by marcag Recent news from 2 friends involved in bike accidents. One is in a wheel chair. May never walk again. The other, after 1 year of rehab is starting to run on a treadmill but will never be able to ride again. This is a very dangerous sport.

Very sorry to hear about the two friends Marc.

2014-09-09 9:33 PM

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by marcag I am done with the forums as long as a few members, particularly one, is around. Information is so wrong sometimes but it's just not worth it. No plans to lead mentor groups either.  

For what it's worth, and I've said it before, I think you did a great job leading the power group last year.  Lots of people learned a ton of stuff, and some made significant gains.

2014-09-09 10:51 PM

Master
, California

I've had the same issue.  I'm a software guy... I've been thinking about working on an app that will upload my Garmin data to multiple sites when I sync.  But the tricky part is safely managing logins / passwords.

Another idea is a browser plugin that would just send off requests to the garmin communicator for each site that you're already logged in on.  Then I don't have to deal with passwords.  Anyhow I need to do some research but it would remove some of the nuisance.

I also use Raceday Apollo, but that's just a windows app and I don't think there's a better way to make it sync.

Cool I'll dig into it.  Python is pretty straightforward.

They have this already:

https://tapiriik.com/

... which already supports Strava and Training Peaks.  Maybe I can add some support for BT and submit it back to them.

2014-09-10 6:16 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

Pro
NJ
Originally posted by GoFaster

Originally posted by marcag I am done with the forums as long as a few members, particularly one, is around. Information is so wrong sometimes but it's just not worth it. No plans to lead mentor groups either.  

For what it's worth, and I've said it before, I think you did a great job leading the power group last year.  Lots of people learned a ton of stuff, and some made significant gains.

Marc, echo Neil's comments. What you and Shane offered was really unique. It was a pretty neat approach to coaching. I kept detailed notes and files on the workouts and use of GC. While my season ended before it started, I'll be using what I learned once I'm back on the bike.

and sorry to hear about your friends. I hope they continue on a path to as much recovery as possible.

2014-09-10 6:42 AM
in reply to: kcarroll

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by kcarroll

Originally posted by GoFaster

Marc, echo Neil's comments. What you and Shane offered was really unique. It was a pretty neat approach to coaching. I kept detailed notes and files on the workouts and use of GC. While my season ended before it started, I'll be using what I learned once I'm back on the bike.

and sorry to hear about your friends. I hope they continue on a path to as much recovery as possible.

Thanks to both of you. I really enjoyed doing that and I had other ideas of how we could do something "different" that would cross all 3 sports, but the appetite to take it on here is gone. Maybe in other form...I really do enjoy sharing the information. I am fortunate that I have met some great people to learn from. I have to say, my weekend at WC was a gold mine of information.

The biggest difference between WC at Tremblant and Vegas was the venue. You could just chat with people. After the race I spoke for a few minutes with Heather Wurtel as she was getting her bike. At the swim warm up we chatted with Kienle about the difference between the Vegas course and Tremblant. We were sitting having a beer with Nicole and the female winner was sitting right behind Nicole's husband. After the race we were in a bar. The coach of the Montreal Canadians joined us. A Kiwi couple I was drinking with brought over Greg Welch. It was hilarious. I had to explain to the hockey coach that this guy as the Guy Lafleur of triathlon. His jaw dropped. Then I had to explain that the Habs are the Manchester United of hickey. It was all fun. Andrew Messick was there as well with Paula Newbie Fraser. All around the bar at "le diable".

But all this to say people were sharing information, stories, knowledge and helping each other. I have never seen this at a race.

2014-09-10 8:08 AM

Elite
Ontario

Marc - that really does sound like an uber cool experience.  I also noted how much you appeared you have been drinking following the race...:-)

2014-09-10 1:54 PM

Cool I'll dig into it.  Python is pretty straightforward.

They have this already:

https://tapiriik.com/

... which already supports Strava and Training Peaks.  Maybe I can add some support for BT and submit it back to them.

The problem people were having with apps like tapiriik was that it wasn't bringing over elevation and/or temperature data over correctly from garmin connect.  Nobody quite knew why, but your garmin and garmin connect might have 3k feet of climbing, but when using tapiriik to bring the data to strava, it would be 4200 feet.  That was a deal breaker for most people even though everything else went smoothly.  For some apps, temperature data was completely ignored despite being in garmin connect.

Now that garmin connect and strava have partnered, the data comes over exactly and quickly.

Edited by Jason N 2014-09-10 1:55 PM
2014-09-10 6:31 PM

2014-09-10 7:01 PM

2014-09-10 10:48 PM

Master
Northern IL

Curious how others at masters or swim groups might handle this. Stroke night and there was some fast/ez 25's on :30 late in each round. A number of people like to to touch and go with only an extra breath or two at the far end, moving much of the rest to between the ez and the next fast. I'm on fly and the person in front is doing the touch-n-go, making it really tight on the last time I go under. One time it didn't work and I hit right inside the shoulder. Any ideas to fix this? I try to move a little over, but there really isn't room as I only have just a couple inches clearance inside the lane lines with my wingspan. I'd also cross over into the next lane creating the same problem there. I also see it as the fast part being the emphasis, so how much should I accomodate? On the 100 IM's, absolutely go to 1-arm or something if there is any doubt about clearing. I'm getting in before they should be leaving again, and think they could dive deeper or something to go under. I do this and it's not like my stroke is erratic to try and time it. Hitting 8 strokes every time.

2014-09-11 3:06 AM
in reply to: brigby1

Elite
PEI, Canada

So, they are doing the fast 25 and then starting right into the ez 25 before the :30 is up?  I'd probably just say to them something like "if you are going to start before the prescribed interval time, can you just take a quick look to make sure we aren't going to hit?".  Standard practice when I swam would certainly be for the person doing the ez to yield/avoid the person going fast.

2014-09-11 8:11 AM

Master
Northern IL

So, they are doing the fast 25 and then starting right into the ez 25 before the :30 is up?  I'd probably just say to them something like "if you are going to start before the prescribed interval time, can you just take a quick look to make sure we aren't going to hit?".  Standard practice when I swam would certainly be for the person doing the ez to yield/avoid the person going fast.

Yes on the first question. And that's what I thought the standard practice would be. Especially after a few months ago some of our stud swimmers would break completely from returning on the ez to push up against the lane line treading water or duck well under. I just made sure the person last night was ok, but seemed to think it was my fault. Could have just been still smarting from the hit. I probably could try to aim a little more to the side on the last re-entry now that I'm getting more used to the distance covered. Up until the last few weeks I've been more at 11-13 strokes as the night went on, so still getting used to how much I cover with being at 8 consistently now. Though no one at practice would know that as I'd only made 2 stroke nights in the year prior before a month ago.The earlier example was a stroke option late on a freestyle night. Still thinking of it today as my finger seems to have a mild sprain.

2014-09-11 9:29 AM

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Selfishly, I hope you guys all stay active on BT -- I learn so much from you (in here).  I don't read much on the main forum and also can't get myself to wade through the BS on ST on any regular basis -- some threads are decent and worth reading, but so many feel like a big contest and if you're not winning your AG / on the verge of getting a pro card / a pro, you really shouldn't be posting there.  Maybe if I took enough time to "get" the crew who posts over there I could sift through the shite more readily. 

On a separate note, and back to hoping you guys all stick around to provide insight, I'm planning to do a run focus and am looking for some advice.  I've been consistently running in the 30-40 mpw range at six days a week for the past 6+ months while balancing bike and swim training.  All my running has been kept at an easy pace, but if I want to make some gains, I think it's time to add in the "sometimes hard" aspect. 

My body has held up pretty well to the run training, but I'd like to slowly introduce intervals such that I don't end up injuring myself.  Is there a plan that you'd suggest?  Or should I try to create something starting with a Barry P - esque plan?  I have two half marathons planned -- one October 26th to kind of get a base line for where I am now, and a more important race on January 18th to gauge progress.

Any thoughts on how to minimize swim / bike losses while focusing on running?  I'll likely still swim 2-3x a week with my Masters group.

2014-09-11 10:23 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

Elite
PEI, Canada

Shane ran a run focus challenge thread for April-May this year.  Not too many participants but there is a 6 week framework of a program there that you could start from.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=513799&posts=62&page=1

Swimming 2-3x per week is likely plenty to maintain.  Especially if there is a reasonable amount of intensity there.  I think that thread had guidelines on how to handle bike load while doing the run focus as well.

2014-09-11 10:50 AM

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

I've been out of touch with the forums here on BT for a couple of years.  As mentioned previously...just lots of misinformation and some personalities that are just not fun to be around.  I will likely maintain a mentor group in 2015 but as my own race dates approach I tend to neglect them and feel very guilty about it...so maybe I shouldn't continue with them.  My own coaching demands are growing and the more time that takes up the less I have time for a mentor group.  I really enjoy following the SBR Utopia group but sometimes I hesitate to chime in because you folks have known each other for so long and know your histories so well that I feel like an outsider and don't want to "crash the party".  I will likely continue to log my basic workout stuff here but with little detail...if nothing else just to continue the multi-year summary I have built up.  I log everything into my personal TP account (coached by someone else) every day so it is sometimes a pain to log in 2 places.  I logged in Apollo last year but didn't do it this year.  I hear you folks talk about Strava a lot but have never even looked into it.  I read on ST quite a bit but rarely post.  This year I have gotten involved in some Facebook Ironman race groups to provide advice, but, man...talk about tons of nervous (and often misguided) energy.  The number of posts on there could be drastically reduced if people would just read the darn Athlete's Guide.

Bottom line is, I hope this group continues because it really has become an oasis of enjoyment on BT for me, even if I don't contribute much.

Edited by Birkierunner 2014-09-11 10:59 AM
2014-09-11 11:17 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by marcagThanks to both of you. I really enjoyed doing that and I had other ideas of how we could do something "different" that would cross all 3 sports, but the appetite to take it on here is gone..

I hear you on this statement.

Honestly, I'm not sure what other 'format' there would be aside from a BT mentor group.
Part of me wants to talk you into doing another mentor group, but I (as many know here) have been down the path of wanting to get away from this site before for a number of reasons. In the end I seem to have been drawn back to the mentor groups, primarily to try to help others, but also for the camaraderie, as I have many current and former mentor group people who I now consider goof friends.

So, no I don't regret my involvement at all.

And no, I'm not sure if I will have much of a roll in the future of BT, as I'm debating the stopping of logging here and am not sure about future mentor groups.

So, yes, *I* think I might understand your point of view ;-)

I like the camaraderie aspect too, it's what keeps me more active here. Various challenges and race specific groups have been fun too. Sometimes something comes up in the state forums. Gives more of a connection. ST is fun to watch, but way to much strength of personality to really want to join in.

I get that this is a beginner site, but some times things seem a bit kindergarten-ish. Not the kid-gloves treatment others have been annoyed with, but the topics themselves. A growing swim thread is exactly what the forum is for, but another popular one is with waving on the bike. Really guys?

The logging here has been nice for my own, but I might be wanting some of the more advanced aspects other places can offer. I still find it a PITA to check up on other people. It's easy to spot trends or look up something if someone has a question, but trying to follow daily such a chore that I haven't bothered with. that thought does not really sit well as in some mentor groups it's a major point for them.

Edited by brigby1 2014-09-11 11:20 AM
2014-09-11 12:17 PM

Master
, California

Originally posted by marcagThanks to both of you. I really enjoyed doing that and I had other ideas of how we could do something "different" that would cross all 3 sports, but the appetite to take it on here is gone..

I hear you on this statement.

Honestly, I'm not sure what other 'format' there would be aside from a BT mentor group.
Part of me wants to talk you into doing another mentor group, but I (as many know here) have been down the path of wanting to get away from this site before for a number of reasons. In the end I seem to have been drawn back to the mentor groups, primarily to try to help others, but also for the camaraderie, as I have many current and former mentor group people who I now consider goof friends.

So, no I don't regret my involvement at all.

And no, I'm not sure if I will have much of a roll in the future of BT, as I'm debating the stopping of logging here and am not sure about future mentor groups.

So, yes, *I* think I might understand your point of view ;-)

I mostly visit this mentor group and my friends pages as they near race dates.  If you stop logging here, I hope you'll still at least post your upcoming races so people can track you down if we're doing the same one.

When I started here on BT we had some really good discussions on the IM Race Group boards  Those were kind of cool because they made it really easy to meet people.  Now that more of the discussion has switched to the mentor groups, we have a little more work to keep track of where everyone is racing.

The good thing with this group is that we're not much for one-and-done racing, so there are more chances to meet up.

2014-09-11 12:26 PM
in reply to: spudone

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37493 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 72902 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.