BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2014-09-11 3:03 PM
in reply to: Fred D

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!!

70.3 WC Race Report: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=523561&posts=1#M5049183 

I'll try to add a picture or two later tonight as well.

2014-09-12 6:01 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Jason N

Marc, do you just keep reapplying sealant every 3 months?  Is there a point where the tube needs to be replaced simply because there is too much sealant in there?  Can a tube be compromised if you let it sit with sealant in it for too long?  I think I should be adding sealant to my latex tubes as well, but just wondering if there is more to the process than meets the eye.  I have no problem with going through 2-3 pairs of latex tubes per season...as long as I know when I need to replace them.

Sorry I missed this

I don't know for sure. I will have to ask, but I don't see an issue if you change your tubes once a year. I have a set of tubeless TLR wheels from Bonrtager. I put sealnt in now and them and have been for 2 seasons. When I take off the tire it's not really gooped up in there.

The only thing I would be careful is to not leave the wheels for a long period of time with the valve at 6 o'clock. I doubt anything would happen, but why let the sealnt slowly leak to the bottom.

I bought a set of latex tubes yesterday and will be putting sealant in.

Edited by marcag 2014-09-12 6:04 AM
2014-09-12 6:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Fred D
How are u tracking HRV?

ithlete makes an apple app to track HRV. It requires a Bluetooth strap which you have via your Polar.

I tried the Polar on yesterday. Yes I could wear it as an everyday watch which is the criteria for a next watch.

Also, sorry to say this but DC posted the 4iiii doesn't work YET but they will be supporting it soon. Chris from Polar had told me personally that they would, way back when. We spoke for 30mins about the watch a few months ago. I am happy to hear the hardware has been solid, although I can't believe they released with such a premature function set. No swimming, no power and no export for $500 tri watch was a kicker 3 months ago.

You bought just at the time where everything will come together and kind of in the off season to get accustomed to
2014-09-12 7:50 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Elite
Ontario

I looked at the V800 when it first launched and really like the functionality that it would eventually have, but it didn't (doesn't?) support uploads to TP, etc., plus I couldn't justify spending the dollars when my 910 does everything I really need.

2014-09-12 9:57 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Traveling again in San Diego. After a long day of getting up at 4:30, all day meetings, and dinner went out for my "30" minute run. At a hotel adjacent to a golf course, looked at google maps and figured probably 35 minutes around the course. Of course, 35 minutes in at what should be the last turn, I am lost (wtf, it should be a big rectangle, but the streets down here are weird and suddenly turn into freeways). After several false starts, wrong directions from a restaurant, and a misguided side trip down a very dark switchback to a bike path on the San Diego river. (With visions of meth heads or gang members attacking me), finally decided the only way if make it back was to retrace my steps. & miles later I was done. :^. Needless to say my wife, who I texted that I was going for a "quick run" and would call her after, was not happy. Nor were my legs.
2014-09-12 12:49 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Swimming :

In a pool it's hard to tell what "helps" and what doesn't. If you change your body position, kick, hand entry.....what makes the difference ?

This summer I swam a lot of OWS. Many times the exact same route. It's a 1100m out and back. My times would vary from 16:30 (1:30/100m) to 18:00 (1:40/100m) and I could never figure out what made the difference.

I tried more kick, high elbow, a$$ up, chest down.....I would get an amazing result one try and not be able to replicate it.

But later in the season, I noticed something weird. No matter what I focused on, my stroke count for the distance was relatively the same which is an indicator my stroke efficiency varies very little. So the last few swims I simply picked up the cadence and backed off worrying about the technique. Boom, started hitting more PBS.

So I decided to plot it. X axis is swim cadence is strokes per minute. On the Y axis, distance per stroke. So for example with a lot of kick, my DPS should go up. But would I be faster.

The size of dots, represent speed. Biggest dots are 1:30/100m, smallest 1:40/100m. As you can see best DPS yielded the slowest speed.

There is a great video of Brett Sutton talking about the 3Rs. Rythm, Relax then Reach. I noticed in OWS, this works.

Go out at a high cadence, get a Rythm.
Then adjust to be relaxed. Then when you have a rythm and are relaxed, optimize your stroke to get small DPS advantages.

BTW, this is 28 times the same course

YMMV

(Screenshot 2014-09-12 13.02.37.png)

Attachments
----------------
Screenshot 2014-09-12 13.02.37.png (58KB - 2 downloads)

2014-09-12 2:19 PM

User image

So Kona is coming up in less than a month, and I realized I haven't swam one stroke since that race last year.  LOL.  Will be going back for 5 days to spectate, ride my bike, and drink beer...but one of the most fun things to do is swim off the pier in the morning that week.  So I suppose I better get my butt in the pool soon.  LOL.

2014-09-12 5:57 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by marcag

Swimming :

In a pool it's hard to tell what "helps" and what doesn't. If you change your body position, kick, hand entry.....what makes the difference ?

This summer I swam a lot of OWS. Many times the exact same route. It's a 1100m out and back. My times would vary from 16:30 (1:30/100m) to 18:00 (1:40/100m) and I could never figure out what made the difference.

I tried more kick, high elbow, a$$ up, chest down.....I would get an amazing result one try and not be able to replicate it.

But later in the season, I noticed something weird. No matter what I focused on, my stroke count for the distance was relatively the same which is an indicator my stroke efficiency varies very little. So the last few swims I simply picked up the cadence and backed off worrying about the technique. Boom, started hitting more PBS.

So I decided to plot it. X axis is swim cadence is strokes per minute. On the Y axis, distance per stroke. So for example with a lot of kick, my DPS should go up. But would I be faster.

The size of dots, represent speed. Biggest dots are 1:30/100m, smallest 1:40/100m. As you can see best DPS yielded the slowest speed.

There is a great video of Brett Sutton talking about the 3Rs. Rythm, Relax then Reach. I noticed in OWS, this works.

Go out at a high cadence, get a Rythm.
Then adjust to be relaxed. Then when you have a rythm and are relaxed, optimize your stroke to get small DPS advantages.

BTW, this is 28 times the same course

YMMV

you are such a sports scientist, marc!

I've also noted my stroke cadence was suboptimal from several OWS (though not nearly the 'N' of your data)
and have been trying to get off the bottom of the 'optimal' swim cadence graph from Swim Smooth (sorry if I offended anyone with the swim smooth reference)

http://www.swimsmooth.com/strokerate.html
2014-09-12 7:11 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Good stuff Marc!  Suzanne (AdventureBear) posts in Tri Talk all the time about it being a math equation (I've had a few beers, I'm not going to try to type it out) but that's essentially what you've done - figuring out the optimal stroke rate vs DPS for you.  Generally speaking, in open water a higher stroke rate is going to be best, particularly in rougher conditions.  I certainly vary my stroke rate more in open water and if there is any chop or waves, it's going to go up.

Chris, that sounds like quite the adventure.  I'm always so paranoid when I run in a location away from home.  I study my planned route over and over and know exactly what distance I should be making a turn.    

2014-09-12 9:02 PM
in reply to: axteraa

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by axteraa

Good stuff Marc!  Suzanne (AdventureBear) posts in Tri Talk all the time about it being a math equation (I've had a few beers, I'm not going to try to type it out) but that's essentially what you've done - figuring out the optimal stroke rate vs DPS for you.  Generally speaking, in open water a higher stroke rate is going to be best, particularly in rougher conditions.  I certainly vary my stroke rate more in open water and if there is any chop or waves, it's going to go up.

Chris, that sounds like quite the adventure.  I'm always so paranoid when I run in a location away from home.  I study my planned route over and over and know exactly what distance I should be making a turn.    

Yes, very nice! What I see is a strong trend towards stroke rate being the dominant factor in there, provided you don't go too far one way or the other with dps. Big dots (faster speed) are all towards the right and are both a little higher & lower on the plot. Three especially stick out more to me and they seem similar size too. Smaller dots are towards the left. 

2014-09-13 8:41 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2014-09-13 8:43 AM

2014-09-13 9:21 AM

Extreme Veteran
>Awesome graph!

I am the same as you in the sense that I swim great one day and then can't reproduce the next day.

For *me*, my left arm is often the issue. If it is not raised high on recovery it starts to sink too early.

I agree that cadence is the key.

Again, some days I am swimming 1:20/100 yards with little effort. Some days that is closer to all out effort.

Swimming...

If I had a polar 800 I could get HR on the swim and color the dots with various intensities/HR.
A 4d chart :-) FYI, I spent the bulk of my career as the VP Engineering for the largest data analytics company in the world. So it's kind of second nature.

But I just thought of this graph recently, kind of like the quadrant analysis on the bike.
By the way, the axis on that graph are centered at the average of cadence and DPS

I went back and looked at my pool data but it doesn't come across as well because the length of the pool kind of skews the stroke count since you cut a stroke a little or glide a little.

But I did see, even from the good days to the bad days, it was more cadence.

I will do something similar for the run, with HR, speed and cadence. I do see all my good runs have a quick cadence.
2014-09-13 2:42 PM

2014-09-13 2:51 PM

Extreme Veteran
The pro tour is in town tomorrow. Too bad Froome and Contador are not here.

Frank Shleck, Tejay, Chris Horner

http://gpcqm.ca/uploads/pdf/2014_FR_Liste%20engag%C3%A9s_8sept%20Mo...

It's great. They are 200m from my place so I run down, watch them, run back, watch them on TV.....twenty minutes later they come back....all day long. Or I can walk around the entire circuit and see them about 18 times that way. I'll probably do that. Or do a long run of the circuit.

2014-09-13 4:57 PM

Elite
PEI, Canada

I am thinking of trying the HR on a swim. The issue is that I would have to wear a tri top. I actually have a speed suit that I could wear instead that would look less geeky, but then again maybe both would be equally nerdy lol.

Had a good interval run today.

Tough ride tomorrow.

BTW I race next weekend. Olympic distance, team Zoot event in Westchester NY. Anyone else racing?

I swam beside someone in a wetsuit for about 15 minutes at the pool this week.  It's tough to top that in the nerdy category.  She even did a kick set with it on!

I'm doing the Barrelman HIM in Niagara Falls next weekend.

2014-09-13 5:00 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Jason N

So Kona is coming up in less than a month, and I realized I haven't swam one stroke since that race last year.  LOL.  Will be going back for 5 days to spectate, ride my bike, and drink beer...but one of the most fun things to do is swim off the pier in the morning that week.  So I suppose I better get my butt in the pool soon.  LOL.

Bring your floaties!  

Not volunteering on race day?  Bike catching is a ton of fun.

2014-09-13 5:50 PM

Champion
Weekend check in. On call for family medicine and obstetrics....covering double call has been a bit hectic so far today. Taking some downtime now because I'm going to be back for a delivery in the next little while I think.

I was supposed to do a trail HM next weekend but opting out of doing it with my tendonitis. Few short runs and mountain biking this past week (while the weather is still good). New shoes have been working out so far. Run tomorrow am before rounds. Victoria is in a few weeks--flights are already booked so Im going for the Oct long weekend regardless. Hopefully I can still do the HM
2014-09-13 6:00 PM

Extreme Veteran

I am thinking of trying the HR on a swim. The issue is that I would have to wear a tri top. I actually have a speed suit that I could wear instead that would look less geeky, but then again maybe both would be equally nerdy lol.

Tough ride tomorrow.

BTW I race next weekend. Olympic distance, team Zoot event in Westchester NY. Anyone else racing?

I swam beside someone in a wetsuit for about 15 minutes at the pool this week.  It's tough to top that in the nerdy category.  She even did a kick set with it on!

Did you get my PM for a ride routes post Barrelman ? Did you pick a location to ride ?

2014-09-13 6:02 PM

Extreme Veteran

Tough ride tomorrow.

Not sure what's nerdier

a) Wetsuit
b) Tri suit
c) HR monitor

I am guessing a, c, b

2014-09-13 6:21 PM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Tough ride tomorrow.

Did you get my PM for a ride routes post Barrelman ? Did you pick a location to ride ?

Yes, I got it, thanks!  I didn't want to bug you again before the race.    We are now thinking of stopping a bit sooner, more in the Belleville/Prince Edward County area.

2014-09-13 6:39 PM

Champion

Tough ride tomorrow.

Not sure what's nerdier

a) Wetsuit
b) Tri suit
c) HR monitor

I am guessing a, c, b

Wet suit is def the nerdiest...lol
2014-09-13 6:43 PM
in reply to: 0

Edited by Fred D 2014-09-13 6:43 PM
2014-09-13 6:44 PM
in reply to: mndymond

2014-09-13 7:24 PM

Veteran
South Windsor, CT

Originally posted by mndymond Weekend check in. On call for family medicine and obstetrics....covering double call has been a bit hectic so far today. Taking some downtime now because I'm going to be back for a delivery in the next little while I think. I was supposed to do a trail HM next weekend but opting out of doing it with my tendonitis. Few short runs and mountain biking this past week (while the weather is still good). New shoes have been working out so far. Run tomorrow am before rounds. Victoria is in a few weeks--flights are already booked so Im going for the Oct long weekend regardless. Hopefully I can still do the HM

Welcome to my life lol.

Babies, seem to come at all times of day and especially the night...

so do heart attacks...(my life)

I'm racing in MD tomorrow. Will be 41 degrees, rained today with whitecaps on the lake....but I'm planning to use Fred's rules of racing and just working on what is in my control=effort
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37219 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 72639 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.