BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2014-09-19 5:29 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!!
Originally posted by TankBoyAnd just a quick rules clarification: isn't there some sort of statute of limitations on writing race reports? Aren't we still waiting on them from Marc, Neil, and Chris?
Hope you are not waiting on my race reports. I only ever done one just because it was TRULY a epic race........ Btw no race for me this weekend. I got sick, now just fighting it off. Ran ez yesterday and I hurt bad but felt good during and right after. Then an hour or so got super dizzy. So definitely pulled from the race. Don't need that barreling through the New Jersey countryside.

Edited by BrotherTri 2014-09-19 5:36 AM

2014-09-19 7:50 AM
in reply to: BrotherTri

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by BrotherTri

Originally posted by TankBoyAnd just a quick rules clarification: isn't there some sort of statute of limitations on writing race reports? Aren't we still waiting on them from Marc, Neil, and Chris?
Hope you are not waiting on my race reports. I only ever done one just because it was TRULY a epic race........ Btw no race for me this weekend. I got sick, now just fighting it off. Ran ez yesterday and I hurt bad but felt good during and right after. Then an hour or so got super dizzy. So definitely pulled from the race. Don't need that barreling through the New Jersey countryside.

x2.

I am less inclined to do race reports. I do write up notes afterwards especially about nutrition and pacing.

Maybe in the future. I am more inclined to blog them at this point. Maybe if I have an epic race in the near future.
It was a great learning year, less of a results year.

I wrote up my 2014/2015 plan last week

2014-09-19 7:57 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by TankBoy And just a quick rules clarification: isn't there some sort of statute of limitations on writing race reports? Aren't we still waiting on them from Marc, Neil, and Chris?

Agreed - I am woefully behind on this race report.  Need/want to get it done. I like having them online at BT as I can go back and reread them in the future.

2014-09-19 8:02 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Elite
Ontario

Medical advice needed - a couple of weeks before the HIM I injured my left leg during a long run.  So for the past 3+ weeks I've had some pain/discomfort every time I put pressure on the leg, walk upstairs, run, etc.  My first run since the HIM a couple of days ago ended quickly as the leg got aggravated really fast and I knew I was doing myself no good.  Biking is not an issue, I assume because of no impact (I actually just a PB for the 20min test yesterday!).

Based on my googling of anatomy images, I'm fairly certain that the pain is focused on the greater trochanter.  Thoughts or recommendations on how to work this out?  Like I said, I took 10 days after the HIM before trying a run and knew within 7-8min that I was in trouble, so rest on it's own didn't seem to do much.

2014-09-19 8:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by GoFaster
Thoughts or recommendations on how to work this out? 

Get a good physio/dr/chiro....to diagnose it and go from there.

Guessing on the source of the problem means treating by trial and error and will result in a lot of lost time. Been there....all summer.

How far are you from Toronto ?

Edited by marcag 2014-09-19 8:09 AM
2014-09-19 8:52 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by GoFasterThoughts or recommendations on how to work this out? 
Get a good physio/dr/chiro....to diagnose it and go from there. Guessing on the source of the problem means treating by trial and error and will result in a lot of lost time. Been there....all summer. How far are you from Toronto ?
X2 most excellent advice.You could be dealing with a major issue. Often injuries are totally opposite of what we think they are.

2014-09-19 9:59 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by GoFaster Thoughts or recommendations on how to work this out? 
Get a good physio/dr/chiro....to diagnose it and go from there. Guessing on the source of the problem means treating by trial and error and will result in a lot of lost time. Been there....all summer. How far are you from Toronto ?

Not too far from Toronto that I couldn't make the busy drive if it was worth it.  Do you have a recommendation?

2014-09-19 12:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by GoFaster Thoughts or recommendations on how to work this out? 

Not too far from Toronto that I couldn't make the busy drive if it was worth it.  Do you have a recommendation?

I don't but Scott71 is from Toronto and I would trust his opinion. He was in our power mentor group.

2014-09-19 6:30 PM
in reply to: BrotherTri

Master
, California

That's pretty much the same with me... I guess I sort of avoid the race report spotlight.  Although I probably should write one up about New Zealand because that's a race every IM racer should put on their calendar *someday* if possible.

2014-09-19 11:50 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Originally posted by spudone

That's pretty much the same with me... I guess I sort of avoid the race report spotlight.  Although I probably should write one up about New Zealand because that's a race every IM racer should put on their calendar *someday* if possible.

I like to write them.  They're more for myself, though, and like Neil i go back now and then and review them.  Also since many of the races are also trips, it's a reminder of that as well

2014-09-21 8:39 AM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Elite
Ontario

We got nailed with some seriously heavy rain this morning.  Radar seems to show that it hopefully went through Niagara a little earlier - around transition setup time.  Hope Arend stays relatively dry.

2014-09-21 3:49 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-09-21 3:54 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

2014-09-21 5:08 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Fred D

We got nailed with some seriously heavy rain this morning.  Radar seems to show that it hopefully went through Niagara a little earlier - around transition setup time.  Hope Arend stays relatively dry.

word is he went 4:49 with a killer bike split ;-)

It rained pretty much right up to the start of the race but once I was on the bike I didn't see any at all.  Roads were wet for the first half but had dried up by the second half.  Really windy, pretty much a head/hurting cross wind for the first hour and a bit and then a ripping tail/cross wind for the rest of it.

Swim was 2k, 27:56 was good for 13th overall, bike was 92.6k (last minute route change due to construction), 2:28:08 good for 13th overall again.  1:47:53 run, I had it short on my watch but they swear it was right, my watch didn't lock onto the GPS for a bit so maybe... - I need to learn how to suffer more when I run.  Finished 5th AG, 15th overall, 4:49:12

Great event, really happy I did it!  I had some issues and made a few mistakes and had a bunch of firsts, some of which may be TMI....

2014-09-21 5:13 PM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Fred, you seem to have done alright in the race for someone without the top end speed!  

2014-09-21 5:57 PM
in reply to: axteraa

2014-09-21 5:59 PM

2014-09-21 6:37 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by axteraa

It rained pretty much right up to the start of the race but once I was on the bike I didn't see any at all.  Roads were wet for the first half but had dried up by the second half.  Really windy, pretty much a head/hurting cross wind for the first hour and a bit and then a ripping tail/cross wind for the rest of it.

Swim was 2k, 27:56 was good for 13th overall, bike was 92.6k (last minute route change due to construction), 2:28:08 good for 13th overall again.  1:47:53 run, I had it short on my watch but they swear it was right, my watch didn't lock onto the GPS for a bit so maybe... - I need to learn how to suffer more when I run.  Finished 5th AG, 15th overall, 4:49:12

Great event, really happy I did it!  I had some issues and made a few mistakes and had a bunch of firsts, some of which may be TMI....

That bike is even better considering it was long!

Nice going Arend! Was there a lot of tree coverage or other obstructions for the run? I was in a 5k a group my sister is with put together this morning. They actually had the course USATF certified and garmin only had it at 2.85 miles, both mine and hers. Much of the course had tall trees along and even an overhead canopy. There was some slight meandering of the trail, but generally pretty straight. I had figured garmin came up a little short in such situations, but never had an official measurement to see it was this much!

2014-09-21 6:43 PM
in reply to: brigby1

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by brigby1

That bike is even better considering it was long!

Nice going Arend! Was there a lot of tree coverage or other obstructions for the run? I was in a 5k a group my sister is with put together this morning. They actually had the course USATF certified and garmin only had it at 2.85 miles, both mine and hers. Much of the course had tall trees along and even an overhead canopy. There was some slight meandering of the trail, but generally pretty straight. I had figured garmin came up a little short in such situations, but never had an official measurement to see it was this much!

There was a section that went through downtown Niagara Falls with some tall buildings but I'd say 70-80% of the course had a decent view of the sky.  Saw a couple of other posts on Strava that had it short too.  I just looked at the course they had posted online for the race and there was a short out and back section that we turned around sooner than what was on the map.

2014-09-22 6:37 AM

Extreme Veteran
There was a section that went through downtown Niagara Falls with some tall buildings but I'd say 70-80% of the course had a decent view of the sky.  Saw a couple of other posts on Strava that had it short too.  I just looked at the course they had posted online for the race and there was a short out and back section that we turned around sooner than what was on the map.

Congratulations

I think you beat Lionel Sanders on the swim :-)

If you decide to do a ride in Ottawa on the way back, let me know. I am in Ottawa this week and will probably ride Gatineau Park a little.

2014-09-22 6:45 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by axteraa There was a section that went through downtown Niagara Falls with some tall buildings but I'd say 70-80% of the course had a decent view of the sky.  Saw a couple of other posts on Strava that had it short too.  I just looked at the course they had posted online for the race and there was a short out and back section that we turned around sooner than what was on the map.
Congratulations I think you beat Lionel Sanders on the swim :-) If you decide to do a ride in Ottawa on the way back, let me know. I am in Ottawa this week and will probably ride Gatineau Park a little.

I did beat Lionel on the swim.    and I beat Cody Beals to T2.  Of course he double flatted and pulled out of the race.  

I'll let you know if we are in the Ottawa area for sure!

2014-09-22 8:44 AM

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Sounds like a great race -- looking forward to the full race report!

2014-09-22 8:48 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

Veteran
Houston, Texas

So after Mont Tremblant, I decided I'd take a full week off from all training to give myself some time to recover.  I started some training again last week (mostly running as I'm attempting to do a run focus) and it's been nothing but awful.  A 30 minute easy run has felt anything but easy.  I completely fell apart on (what should have been) an hour long run yesterday.

I thought taking some time off would be good for me, but it seems to have been the worst thing I've done in my training so far.  I feel like I'm starting all over again.  I don't understand how that could be.

I've been in the pool twice since the race....my swimming doesn't seem to have suffered quite as badly as my running, but given how the running and swimming have felt, I'm quite worried about getting back on the bike now...

2014-09-22 9:20 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

2014-09-22 9:22 AM

Edited by Fred D 2014-09-22 9:59 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37494 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 72904 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.