BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2014-10-15 2:42 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!!
Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by marcagMy personal experience with it Give it some time. The more repetitive your meals or the more meals you enter, the easier. For example I have the same breakfast every day. Because of this, it takes me 10seconds to enter my breakfast. Entering a new meal/food may take a minute or two longer. You quickly figure out what calorie deficit you need to hit. Me, it's about 500 calories. They seem to underestimate biking calorie expenditure (IMO). They are always less than Garmin and what I calculate going from watts. It also syncs with TP.

Yeah, I think if I can stick with it for a few weeks, it will get a lot easier to input everything.  I also eat the same breakfast (oatmeal with raisins...I cut out the honey and boiled eggs...I had high cholesterol my last blood test) everyday so that does help.  I love the fact that I can get all my workout from my edge 510, bluetooth to my phone and garmin connect and auto sync to Strava and MFP.  If I was still doing everything manually, I don't think I take the extra steps to enter more data into MFP.

We have a boss' day potluck tomorrow at work...so that will be my first test.  Last night I was going to get something to snack on after dinner, but was too lazy to figure out how many calories were in it so I didn't eat it...LOL...maybe that's the secret!!!

LOL - that was a HUGE part of the secret for me. Like Marc said I found MFP to way overestimate my exercise calories, so instead I manually entered that into MFP as they were reported by Garmin/Training Peaks. I wish the connection between TP and MFP was better: currently only the nutritional data from MFP is sent to TP. I wish weight information from MFP was also sent to TP (so that it was updated in TP on a more regular basis) and I also wish the exercise calories from TP were sent back to MFP. I am sure it will get better with time.

As a complete aside I do a lot of stuff that you are supposed to NOT do when calorie counting. First, I weigh myself everyday. But I don't really see my day-to-day fluctuations to be either a competition or demoralizing, it is just a data point. Second, I do on occasion add some calorie burn to my schedule in order to be able to eat. Nothing crazy, but if I find myself to be a couple hundred calories short I might add an hour long walk to the schedule either before or after dinner. This fits in to my "time on the feet" mantra, so I actually think it is a god thing. Third, I eat my largest meal of the day for dinner. I have found that if I make it to dinner with about 1200 calories left in the bank I can eat dinner with just about anyone (including the boss!) without then even noticing. Not disrupting anyone else's life (especially JT's) with my calorie counting obsession was the number one key to making it sustainable for10 months straight. Finally (and this is inarguably a good thing) I consume WAY fewer calories during exercise than I used to: I have found that I don't need nearly as much as I used to think, and it really only fulfilled a psychological need that I had developed over the years. I seem to have gotten a handle on what I really need for optimum performance vs. what I simply need to help pass the time.

2014-10-15 4:39 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Oh man, so now that I got into the lottery for Alcatraz, I also got offered a spot for Lavaman Waikoloa (end of March) from their waiting list.  I entered that on a bit of a whim one evening while consuming multiple beers...   

what to do, what to do...

2014-10-15 6:03 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Originally posted by axteraa

Oh man, so now that I got into the lottery for Alcatraz, I also got offered a spot for Lavaman Waikoloa (end of March) from their waiting list.  I entered that on a bit of a whim one evening while consuming multiple beers...   

I have only heard really good things about Lavaman.  The Keauhou race is later in the summer, but the Waikoloa race is more popular as people from colder climates like to race and vacation in Hawaii in March.  Great swim, cool bike course that involves the Queen K, and the run is a bit off road.  Crushed lava rock, grass, sand, etc.

Lavaman Waikoloa sells out each year, but it usually is open for a month or so, so you could do it later on.  Not sure how likely it is you get into Alcatraz.  

2014-10-15 6:54 PM

Master
, California

Both, of course!

2014-10-15 6:56 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I have only heard really good things about Lavaman.  The Keauhou race is later in the summer, but the Waikoloa race is more popular as people from colder climates like to race and vacation in Hawaii in March.  Great swim, cool bike course that involves the Queen K, and the run is a bit off road.  Crushed lava rock, grass, sand, etc.

Lavaman Waikoloa sells out each year, but it usually is open for a month or so, so you could do it later on.  Not sure how likely it is you get into Alcatraz.  

I'm already into Alcatraz and Waikoloa is already sold out.  I had my name on the waiting list.  The other problem is that we have a trip to California booked for February.  So California in Feb, Hawaii in March, San Francisco in June....  I need to win the lotto.

2014-10-15 9:00 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
, California

I'm already into Alcatraz and Waikoloa is already sold out.  I had my name on the waiting list.  The other problem is that we have a trip to California booked for February.  So California in Feb, Hawaii in March, San Francisco in June....  I need to win the lotto.

I think you MOVE to California in February, fly to Hawaii from there for cheap, then stay in CA till mid-June

Edited by spudone 2014-10-15 9:01 PM

2014-10-15 10:23 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

This sounds like a reasonable plan.  I'm sure I can make it work.

2014-10-15 10:48 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by GoFaster

There is no shade on that run - I don't see myself doing this race again as long as it stays in July.  The heat and humidity would destroy me.  I would predict there will be no PR's on that course after the date change.  I am thinking about a flat HIM in June of next year (same folks that just put on Barrelman that Arend did), so I hope for less polar vortex this winter so I can long rides in earlier in the season next year.

Brings up a question - do you ride in aero on the trainer?  I don't like the position, even though mostly comfortable on the road, but for my first flat 56mile ride I think I need to spend more time getting used to it.

Haven't necessarily done that much, but planning on putting more in this off-season. I feel fine going to aero when outside, as in it's ok comfort wise holding the position,  but power output tends to be less than expected. HR is noticeably higher for a given power. Legs feel fine, but some core area can tire. Think this might be why I haven't been hitting races at the recommended IF's. Couple years ago I came out of winter doing more aero work and was pretty good in early races, but had some abdominal straining in short hard races later, less training in aero. This year had no aero on the trainer and road bike early season. Noticed core/abdominal area getting tired in the harder sprint races I had once I got the tri bike. I was stronger than ever coming into the season, but didn't show it that well in the races. Think I had matched the hip angle well enough. But it was going from hands to elbows that really felt different. More core engagement in the aggressive position. I didn't notice that issue so much after finally putting the clips on the road bike for the one race. Hip angle wasn't much more open, but I was riding higher with the more slack seat angle and higher front end. It didn't have to engage as much. The SC9 is rotated over quite a bit more.

2014-10-16 5:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

no no no no

You are not leaving me alone in this miserable weather.

My only consolation when it's -40 and snow is that it's worst where you are :-) Man you guys get hammered with snow.

Jason, are we allowed to start complaining about winter yet ? Kona is over, isn't that when we can start ?
2014-10-16 6:58 AM
in reply to: marcag

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by marcag

no no no no You are not leaving me alone in this miserable weather. My only consolation when it's -40 and snow is that it's worst where you are :-) Man you guys get hammered with snow. Jason, are we allowed to start complaining about winter yet ? Kona is over, isn't that when we can start ?

The presence of snow would overrule any standards he sets.

2014-10-16 7:06 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Originally posted by brigby1

no no no no You are not leaving me alone in this miserable weather. My only consolation when it's -40 and snow is that it's worst where you are :-) Man you guys get hammered with snow. Jason, are we allowed to start complaining about winter yet ? Kona is over, isn't that when we can start ?

Well, Matt is ALREADY complaining about the cold on Strava....

2014-10-16 7:10 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Oh, and I wouldn't tell, Tab, instead just spring it on her as a sort of holiday surprise.

2014-10-16 7:28 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by TankBoy

And he had moved from Michigan to Texas. 

2014-10-16 7:34 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

A friend of mine who was the last "unofficial finisher" before Mike Reilly shut it down and the lights went out.  The crowd at Kona for these late finishers was unreal.  At 9:30 pm, I saw a lot of people with finisher shirts and their bikes walking away from transition and the finish line.  At 11 pm, I saw a lot of those same people walking back to the finish line.  THOUSANDS of people there at midnight.

If I had to rank my most favorite moment of my IM experiences, at the top of the list would be watching JT cross the finish line. Second behind that would be the finish line in the final hour of the race. It really is what the sport is all about. A few years ago at IMLP I had a friend that started having severe abdominal pain as soon as he stood up coming out of the water. At mile 5 on the bike he was driven off the course in an ambulance. Turns out he began passing a series of kidney stones during the swim - talk about freaky bad luck. The next year he came back stronger than ever, but then wound up BACK in the LP ER on Friday with some sort of nasty infection - he was released from the ER on Saturday early evening on a heavy round of antibiotics but still dead-set to race (the IM folks were kind enough to allow some of our other friends to do most of his check-in stuff). He did race, and finished successfully in 16:57 - it was crazy when he came across the finish line.

A number of years ago I remeber seeing an interview with PNF about why she always came out to the finish in the last few hours. She said it was for her respect for the racers. In her opinion they had done something that day much harder than she could imagine: they had raced at a similar effort and for almost twice as long as she had - she said there was no way she could do what they had done. To make her point she stated that just during the marathon alone the folks feet crossing near midnight had hit the ground at least four times as many times as hers had earlier in the day. For some reason that has always stuck with me.

2014-10-16 7:37 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

He must just be complaining about the cold out of habit.

2014-10-16 7:47 AM

Master
Northern IL

Cranky old people ...

2014-10-16 9:33 AM

User image

Champion

I had ice on my windshield yesterday. I need to move my bikes around to get my car in the garage.
2014-10-16 10:03 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

no no no noYou are not leaving me alone in this miserable weather.My only consolation when it's -40 and snow is that it's worst where you are :-) Man you guys get hammered with snow.Jason, are we allowed to start complaining about winter yet ? Kona is over, isn't that when we can start ?
Yes....Kona is the date for which you folks can start complaining...lol
2014-10-16 10:50 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Cranky old people ...

Quite literally LOL'd sitting here in the coffee shop. Too bad Matt Is not actually reading to know the fun we are having at his expense.

2014-10-16 11:34 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario

There is no shade on that run - I don't see myself doing this race again as long as it stays in July.  The heat and humidity would destroy me.  I would predict there will be no PR's on that course after the date change.  I am thinking about a flat HIM in June of next year (same folks that just put on Barrelman that Arend did), so I hope for less polar vortex this winter so I can long rides in earlier in the season next year.

Brings up a question - do you ride in aero on the trainer?  I don't like the position, even though mostly comfortable on the road, but for my first flat 56mile ride I think I need to spend more time getting used to it.

Haven't necessarily done that much, but planning on putting more in this off-season. I feel fine going to aero when outside, as in it's ok comfort wise holding the position,  but power output tends to be less than expected. HR is noticeably higher for a given power. Legs feel fine, but some core area can tire. Think this might be why I haven't been hitting races at the recommended IF's. Couple years ago I came out of winter doing more aero work and was pretty good in early races, but had some abdominal straining in short hard races later, less training in aero. This year had no aero on the trainer and road bike early season. Noticed core/abdominal area getting tired in the harder sprint races I had once I got the tri bike. I was stronger than ever coming into the season, but didn't show it that well in the races. Think I had matched the hip angle well enough. But it was going from hands to elbows that really felt different. More core engagement in the aggressive position. I didn't notice that issue so much after finally putting the clips on the road bike for the one race. Hip angle wasn't much more open, but I was riding higher with the more slack seat angle and higher front end. It didn't have to engage as much. The SC9 is rotated over quite a bit more.

One thing on my "spend" list (seems to be a long list) is to get a bike fit done in the next couple of months.  How tough would it be to then dial in the road bike position to be close to the Tri Bike?

2014-10-16 11:48 AM
in reply to: mndymond

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Originally posted by mndymond

I had ice on my windshield yesterday. I need to move my bikes around to get my car in the garage.

After almost failing to ignore LBs current attempt at picking a fight in TT this morning (Marc and Ben, don't take the bait!), Ron suggested via PM that I try out the new "Ignore User" feature. Since I have implemented its use I do have to admit that reading threads on kick sets, special diets, and horse grooming tips are already much more enjoyable. I may have to expand its use to include topics that include cold, ice, poutine, and other general forms of misery that are part of living in Canada.

2014-10-16 11:53 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

One thing on my "spend" list (seems to be a long list) is to get a bike fit done in the next couple of months.  How tough would it be to then dial in the road bike position to be close to the Tri Bike?

Neil, I hardly ever touch my fit except when I get a new bike. When I do I take both my TT bike and road bike together to my fitter. It seems pretty straight forward and he doesn't charge anything extra.

2014-10-16 12:08 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Ben, just re-reading this and finding your experience intersting. It seems a little counter-intuitive that you would feel MORE core engagement when you switch to your TT bike and not less. Is your road bike really, really upright? Do you spend most of your road time in the drops or the hoods? If you do spend most of your time in the drops how heavy (or light) are you in your hands?

2014-10-16 12:10 PM

Master
, California

Originally posted by mndymond

After almost failing to ignore LBs current attempt at picking a fight in TT this morning (Marc and Ben, don't take the bait!), Ron suggested via PM that I try out the new "Ignore User" feature. Since I have implemented its use I do have to admit that reading threads on kick sets, special diets, and horse grooming tips are already much more enjoyable. I may have to expand its use to include topics that include cold, ice, poutine, and other general forms of misery that are part of living in Canada.

I didn't even know about that feature but I may give it a whirl.  I like LB's enthusiasm about his son.  But I don't like the constant need to tell others how their accomplishments don't matter, etc.  Gets old after awhile.

2014-10-16 12:15 PM

Master
Northern IL

Cranky old people ...

Quite literally LOL'd sitting here in the coffee shop. Too bad Matt Is not actually reading to know the fun we are having at his expense.

Thought Marc could use some company. At least twice now in the past week (?) he's had that thrown at him.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37226 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 72643 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.